Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 11:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 15728 times)
LV319

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #20 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 7:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi all, as always I am interested in all things Lehigh Valley.  It would be a short drive from Auburn, NY where several are members of the Cayuga Valley Model Railroaders Inc. and might also be interested in the field trip.  Ok to ask them?

All Photos taken by Mark A. Fritz, unless otherwise noted, All rights reserved.
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 8:11pm »

I like hanging around anyone who lies anything to do with trains, Fine with me!!

LV319

« Reply #22 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 9:01pm »

Thanks, I will throw it out at the next meeting, this Thursday and see if anyone else is interested in attending.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 8:49pm »

on Feb 5th, 2011, 7:57pm, LV319 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi all, as always I am interested in all things Lehigh Valley.  It would be a short drive from Auburn, NY where several are members of the Cayuga Valley Model Railroaders Inc. and might also be interested in the field trip.  Ok to ask them?  

Since Scot nominated me as the de facto leader of this expedition, I'm fine with the Cayuga Valley Model Railroaders joining us that day. If you could supply a rough head count, that would be great.  

P.S. Do we want to name this meet-up?  

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2011, 8:51pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
LV319

« Reply #24 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 12:21am »

Thanks Matthew, I will see what the interest level is this week and get back to you.  There aren't but 14 people total in the organization.

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 9:05am »

Matthew,
    I would like to be a part of this trip, but depending on when it is scheduled. I have a few out of town trips coming this spring and summer, so it all depends on that.
    If I can make it, a run on the Harley would make for a great ride. I think there's also a nice restaurant in town (Lima) which should be included in the plans.
    Bud

Henry
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 11:55am »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 8:49pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Since Scot nominated me as the de facto leader of this expedition, I'm fine with the Cayuga Valley Model Railroaders joining us that day. If you could supply a rough head count, that would be great.  

P.S. Do we want to name this meet-up?  

Is this still a Rochester Jct immediate area field trip or have we expanded it into something that encompasses a substantially larger area?

Henry

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 9:18pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 12:21am, LV319 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Matthew, I will see what the interest level is this week and get back to you.  There aren't but 14 people total in the organization.

That's good to know. A rough head count helps with planning for things like parking and dining.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 9:20pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 9:05am, BlackDiamondRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew,
    I would like to be a part of this trip, but depending on when it is scheduled. I have a few out of town trips coming this spring and summer, so it all depends on that.
    If I can make it, a run on the Harley would make for a great ride. I think there's also a nice restaurant in town (Lima) which should be included in the plans.
    Bud

The meet-up will be Saturday 4/2, if that helps you plan your trips. Does anyone want to use Sunday 4/3 as the make up day in case it rains on Saturday?  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 9:23pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 11:55am, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Is this still a Rochester Jct immediate area field trip or have we expanded it into something that encompasses a substantially larger area?

Henry

Excellent question. Our expedition will definitely include Rochester Junction. Does anyone else want to explore further- such as the former MT or the branch lines? I think it's important that we define what the mission for this trip is.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 9:31pm »

Nobody has replied to my previous question, so let me ask again: what do those of who plan to meet at Rochester Junction on 4/2 want to do?  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 9:49am »

Personally, I wouldn't mind exploring the junction area and the abandoned part of the Rochester Branch south of Matthew & Fields, maybe part of the branch toward Lima. Other thoughts?

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Henry
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 1:22pm »

As long as I get to see everything worth seeing at Jct, I'm up for exploring anywhere else within a half hour or so of there. I wouldn't mind checking out Mortimer Jct and the Manchester Yard roundhouse area.

I'd rather do Saturday 4/9 than Sunday 4/3 as a rain date.

What about a meeting time? Tammy and I will make it a day trip so we have about an hour and a half drive to get there. Anything earlier than about 10 am would be pushing it for us as I will have at least an hour's work to do before we leave. We'll have light until about 8 pm so we'll have lots of time for exploration even if we start at noon.

Henry

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 4:58pm »

Should probably at least swing by the Manchester roundhouse..you never know when it might be the last time you see it!

I have heard, rumors, that when individuals visit the roundhouse by themselves, there sometimes appear on-line photos of the interior, but the roof is really badly decaying..going inside would be out of the question..but fortunately its right up next to a public road, so its possible to get right up close to it for good photos, while still staying on public property..I think that would have to be a definite stop on the tour..its the largest surviving LV artifact west of Sayre..(at this point, possibly the largest surviving LV artifact period??)

I dont know if touring things like the abandoned Rochester branch between Matthews & Fields and the junction would be worthwhile..there is really nothing to see..

The Genesee river bridge is interesting if you havent seen it, we could park on East River road and walk out to it..also see the North-South greenway trail where the PRR passed under the LV..so thats a possibility.

hmmm..there is also a LV locomotive in very close proximity!
I will do some asking around about that..

Scot

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 5:12pm »

I went in the roundhouse 2 weeks ago, but it was a dark ay, so I did not get any pictures. Would love to see any LV loco though!

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 9:55pm »

I sure would like to meet ya all there. Would be good to follow someone that knew where anything worth seeing is. Keep us posted as to when we will meet and where.  Thanks to all who are doing the work to figure out where to go.  Keith

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:19am »

For those of you coming in from out of town, and might not be sure exactly where Rochester Junction is..Go to google maps:

http://maps.google.com/

type in:

270 plains road, Mendon, NY

That puts you directly at the spot where the LV crosses plains road, right where we will be parking and meeting..then you can use the "directions" feature of google maps, plug in your starting point, and it will give you directions..

(google maps also recognizes "Rochester Junction NY"! but that places you too far east..270 Plains road is better..it puts you exactly there.)

Bing Maps does not recognize 270 Plains Road however..
but here is the precise location on Bing maps:

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj&FORM=Z9LH9#/c5kdgk15snpjbr9r

I put the marker in the parking lot for the trail, which is right across the road from the Junction location. (parking lot is just west of Plains road, Rochester Junction is just East of plains road)

Scot

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:28am by scottychaos » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 8:20pm »

Scot, you have presented some great ideas. I think we should meet at Rochester Junction at 10 AM and then proceed westward to the Genesee River bridge and the Greenway. That would be followed by a visit to the RGVM so we can see LV #211 and we could wap things up by driving out to Manchester to see the round house. What do the rest of you think about this plan?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 7:50pm »

That works for me...

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 5:24pm »

One more thing- Saturday 4/9 will not work for me as a rain date. Right now, family discussions are under way regarding a memorial service for my aunt. (She died in January.) Right now- it looks like the date will be 4/9 or 4/16... in Elmira. Furthermore, a certain Bob Seger is playing in Buffalo on 4/9, so I'll probably be there if the memorial service doesn't happen that weekend.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »