Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 9:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16380 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #140 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 8:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Looking west at the former LV main on the other side of the bridge:

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/2/2011 in Mendon, NY.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #141 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 8:05pm »

After checking out the bridge, we headed back to the parking lot.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/2/2011 in Mendon, NY. When I return, I'll wrap up this series with our trip to Rush.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 8:46pm »

This bridge always had 3 spans as far as I know, all pictures of it,even from way back show it with all 3.on Apr 14th, 2011, 7:56pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Further west (on the other side of Plains Road), we came upon this bridge. It look like the 3rd span at left was added after the other two. if anyone has information about this bridge, please let us know!  

Photo taken by me Saturday 4/2/2011 in Mendon, NY.  

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #143 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 10:54pm »

Matthew:

Some corrections:

"Mendon" is actually Rochester Jct. Mendon is 4.9 miles east of Rochester Jct. via the LVRR.

The "switch stand" is a electric switch lock. When a train was so authorized by the dispatcher, a crewman would operate the handle. After what was usually a 5" delay the mechanism would unlock the switch and it could be lined for movement. A "locked" with red background and a "unlocked" with green background would show in the little round window above the handle.

FYI:

The short section of track at Rochester Jct. was constructed in order to display one of the LVRR boxcars presently located at Manchester. Was informed that the deal to relocate the car fell through.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #144 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 6:53am »

Was wondering when you were going to show up TB!! Where have you been?

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0263_547x410.jpg - 36978 Bytes
« Reply #145 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 3:11pm »

Just relaxing here on the Front Range enjoying my retirement.

The photo is of one of the miniature semaphores once located at the Rochester Jct. crossover. These performed basically the same function as the "locked" and "unlocked" indication in the other electric lock mechanisms.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_0263_547x410.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 3:25pm »

That is so cool! This was at Rochester Junction?? Do you have any pictures of it when it was there?? Really wished you had come on the tour, would have been nice to meet you!! Please post more of your pictures from the area!! I beg you!! on Apr 15th, 2011, 3:11pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just relaxing here on the Front Range enjoying my retirement.

The photo is of one of the miniature semaphores once located at the Rochester Jct. crossover. These performed basically the same function as the "locked" and "unlocked" indication in the other electric lock mechanisms.

alsorailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #147 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 7:40pm »

Just got this and on page 8, it looks to be the bridge was just a two track span. Really hard to tell since it's right at the edge of the picture but seems to be just trees to the left.....

http://rgvrrm.org/media/semaphore/RGVRRM_Semaphore_201104.pdf

Chris

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #148 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 9:34pm »

on Apr 15th, 2011, 7:40pm, alsorailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just got this and on page 8, it looks to be the bridge was just a two track span. Really hard to tell since it's right at the edge of the picture but seems to be just trees to the left.....

Chris

Wow... that is an interesting picture. Besides the bridge being just 2 spans, the lack of trees or even the house on Plains Road shows us how much Rochester Junction has changed.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #149 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 9:46pm »

on Apr 14th, 2011, 10:54pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew:

Some corrections:

"Mendon" is actually Rochester Jct. Mendon is 4.9 miles east of Rochester Jct. via the LVRR.

The "switch stand" is a electric switch lock. When a train was so authorized by the dispatcher, a crewman would operate the handle. After what was usually a 5" delay the mechanism would unlock the switch and it could be lined for movement. A "locked" with red background and a "unlocked" with green background would show in the little round window above the handle.

FYI:

The short section of track at Rochester Jct. was constructed in order to display one of the LVRR boxcars presently located at Manchester. Was informed that the deal to relocate the car fell through.

Thanks for the information regarding the switch lock and the failed display at Rochester Junction. As for the notations on my pictures, I use Mendon (and other proper community names) for two reasons:

1. The viewer can locate Mendon on a current map. Rochester Junction does not appear on a current map. It's the same reason that I note my CSX pictures from Chili Junction as being taken in Riga, because that is where my feet were actually planted when taking the shot. This makes it easy for the casual railfan to find where I was.  

2. Noting the actual location and date serves as a sort of "poor man's copyright" in case somebody tries to claim my photo(s) as his/her own.  

Having said that, the location was indeed known to LV employees and patrons as Rochester Junction back in the LV's heyday. As always, I appreciate your input.      

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 8:47am »

Always thought it was a 3 span bridge, learn something new everyday!! on Apr 15th, 2011, 9:34pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow... that is an interesting picture. Besides the bridge being just 2 spans, the lack of trees or even the house on Plains Road shows us how much Rochester Junction has changed.  

Henry
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 3:09pm »

Rochester Jct. and Rochester Junction both come up in google earth as "Rochester Junction, Mendon, NY 14472"

Henry

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 3:40pm »

Can anyone confirm the bridge at Rochester Junction was 2 spans, then later 3?  The third section looks to be of similar construction to the double, so I'm guessing it was not added later.  Did they replace the whole bridge to accommodate the siding?

It's too bad it appears so close to the edge of that picture, so it is not definitive proof either way.  I can't find anything online to confirm this.  Interesting!

Had a great time with you guys at the meet-up.  Keep me in mind for future adventures- we have tons of railroad archeology in the area.

Ken

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #153 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 4:29pm »

on Apr 15th, 2011, 7:40pm, alsorailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Chris

I would say its most likely we are talking about two different bridges..
the bridge in the issue of the RGVRRM "Semaphore" is clearly the original bridge, only 2 spans..and its hard to tell for sure, because the bridge is far away and not very clear, but the top of the bridge doesnt look like the top of the current bridge..

and I agree it seems very likely the current bridge was built all as one unit, 3 spans, as it still exists today..

I dont have any evidence to back that up yet, but based on that one photo, about 1900, compared to the current bridge, I would say its quite likely they are simply two different bridges..

Scot

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 5:14pm »

Scott, i would agree with you. It looks like a different bridge altogether. The tops see to be straight instead of angled.on Apr 16th, 2011, 4:29pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I would say its most likely we are talking about two different bridges..
the bridge in the issue of the RGVRRM "Semaphore" is clearly the original bridge, only 2 spans..and its hard to tell for sure, because the bridge is far away and not very clear, but the top of the bridge doesnt look like the top of the current bridge..

and I agree it seems very likely the current bridge was built all as one unit, 3 spans, as it still exists today..

I dont have any evidence to back that up yet, but based on that one photo, about 1900, compared to the current bridge, I would say its quite likely they are simply two different bridges..

Scot

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 11:03pm »

The bridge was no doubt replaced during the massive plant improvement program that was conducted in the early part of the 20th Century.

The photo was taken by Rau, probably in the late 1890s.

Henry:

Rochester Jct. probably comes up on google earth as Mendon, NY account it is located within the township of Mendon, Monroe County.  

It remains almost 5 miles from the Village of Mendon.

Matthew:

Understand your reference to Mendon rather than Rochester Jct.

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2011, 11:28pm by TB_Diamond » Logged

irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #156 on: Apr 17th, 2011, 7:14pm »

Whats going on with the former LV hack at or near Manchester by the photos the 95100.  Where they just moved there?  Thanks.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #157 on: Apr 17th, 2011, 7:24pm »

on Apr 16th, 2011, 11:03pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew:

Understand your reference to Mendon rather than Rochester Jct.

Thank you very much for understanding.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Apr 17th, 2011, 9:57pm »

on Apr 17th, 2011, 7:14pm, irn750 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Whats going on with the former LV hack at or near Manchester by the photos the 95100.  Where they just moved there?  Thanks.  

Both have been there since 2005. (LV and PRR caboose)
For several years, both sat side-by-side directly behind the school.
recently, both were moved out into the open..exactly why, no one (except obviously their owner) seems to know..its a bit of a mystery.

Rumours back in the day said they were perhaps destined for a railroad display that was going to be built along the "linear park" in Mendon..the Linear Park is a town park, built right along the LV mainline ROW..
But it was never clear if this was true or not..

it would appear *something* is in the works, since the cabooses have been moved out into the open..but exactly what is going on is still a mystery.
(among us railfans anyway)

Scot

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Apr 17th, 2011, 10:03pm »

A post about the cabooses from 2008:

Quote:

author=kemay59 date=05/16/08
The two cabooses stored behind the old school building on Route 21 in Manchester are owned by local developer Marty McMillan.  According to local sources, the cabooses were going to be put on display in a mini-mall to be built on the corner of Routes 21 and 96.  Construction plans have been on hold for a couple of years now.

source thread:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=46614&start=75

Scot

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2011, 10:09pm by scottychaos » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »