Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 9:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2  (Read 9116 times)
amato1969
Enthusiast
Re: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2

« Reply #60 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 4:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Wow, this thread has been dormant for a while!  Anyway, earlier today I caught two Snowbirds leading Mercury-1 out of Jersey:

I was trying for that nasty mid-70s look, with the primer showing through.  I was tempted to apply some more grime but stopped before I took it too far!

Frank

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 6:15pm »

Frank,
     Nice shot! Great power, great bridge! Hope to see more!
   Bud

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #62 on: Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:59pm »

Thanks Bud, will do.  More trees are next on the list, followed by the signal bridge on the Phillipsburg side of the bridge.

Does anyone know why that signal bridge was so wide?  It looks like a 4-track bridge, but all the photos I have seen show 2 tracks under it.

Frank

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:13am »

on Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:59pm, amato1969 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Bud, will do.  More trees are next on the list, followed by the signal bridge on the Phillipsburg side of the bridge.

Does anyone know why that signal bridge was so wide?  It looks like a 4-track bridge, but all the photos I have seen show 2 tracks under it.

Frank

Four tracks!
(perhaps more at one time? looks like there is room for one more track on the right side..assuming this is the correct signal bridge! the one you are talking about.. I think it is..)

Scot

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:17am by scottychaos » Logged
LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:34am »

on Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:59pm, amato1969 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Frank

There were two bridges side by side for some time....

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #65 on: Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:43am »

OK, got it - thanks!  I see in the Library of Congress documentation that the 1876 trusses remained after completion of the "new" 1902 two-track bridge.  I'll use a 4-track signal bridge for the Jersey side.

Frank

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

LV_K1_2004_2303.jpg - 67386 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 7:31pm »

Post   oea    My pair of Lehigh Valley Camelback Pacifics. Both are LV K1 pacifics. One has a original number 2004 (2304)and the other is a renumbered 2303  ( original number 2003)

Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_K1_2004_2303.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2014, 9:14am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
FanORail
Enthusiast
  BQB2_765x992.jpg - 47430 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 3:06pm »

Hello all. This is my version of the Barber Quarry Branch. I'm going to be doing it in N scale. It is not complete, but I think I'm happy with it so far. I'd really like some input and ideas to complete it. Currently it incorporates Linden St. Yard, BQ Jct., The Allentown Terminal diamond at Union St. and the diamond on the BQB. Traylor, Linde, Reicherts, Hawk, Kemmers, and Wentz (EoL) Also I incorporated the Reading Mack Branch behind Traylor. Most bridges will be included. Era will be early 60's to late 70's.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/BQB2_765x992.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Horace P. Jackson
DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #68 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 5:16pm »

To FanORail

Looks like you have incorporated as much as possible into the space available. I don't know how much space you have available, but I would like to present the idea that since the Barber Quarry branch was a branchline that you try to build your model along two adjacent walls. You could have the Linden St. yard and a small engine terminal on something like a 4X8 board (slightly away from the wall), and then run your branch track over to the wall and build the branch along two adjacent walls in the form of an upside down "L" (which was similar to the shape of the BQ branch). Along the two walls you could build out about 2 feet to include all your industry.

This is just a suggestion because I don't know the space you have available.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress,

Dave Latshaw

Dave-39
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 12:02am »

on Mar 6th, 2012, 3:06pm, FanORail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello all. This is my version of the Barber Quarry Branch. I'm going to be doing it in N scale. It is not complete, but I think I'm happy with it so far. I'd really like some input and ideas to complete it. Currently it incorporates Linden St. Yard, BQ Jct., The Allentown Terminal diamond at Union St. and the diamond on the BQB. Traylor, Linde, Reicherts, Hawk, Kemmers, and Wentz (EoL) Also I incorporated the Reading Mack Branch behind Traylor. Most bridges will be included. Era will be early 60's to late 70's.

If you need any advice with that,I could help you out.I'm not that far from you,Wilkes Barre area,I've probably built 20 N scale railroads....

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2012, 12:03am by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Mar 20th, 2012, 1:11pm »

Living in Bayonne, and having the CNJ, Reading, B&O, Lehigh Valley, and PRR coming through our city limits, I model these roads. Having 2 railroad bridges spanning Newark bay on our west side. The first 3 railroads using the south bridge and the remaining 2 the north bridge. The south bridge being a 4 track span, one of the largest when built. The north bridge a 2 track span. Here in the Lehigh Valley posts I like to report the refinishing of 2 Mantua camelback mikado's, to the LV roster. I think they may have been N1 class. Most likely of the first group for mikes the Valley had.

I dont have my numbering sequence correct yet. Maybe someone can help.  
Did any other railroad have mikado camelback? I dont know of any!
I have a un-built kit for one, and a factory built CNJ to re-letter and paint over the body cabs and boiler front. I will try to remove the liberty herald from the tender. Comparing the loco the photos show this model to be a Lehigh Valley prototype. Just like the pacific camelback also made by Mantua.

I will be going out to the Model railroad shop in Piscataway, or is it Dunellen NJ for the decals tomorrow. In a few days the completed photos of the pair will be in this forum thread. Like my 2 LV pacifics the photos will to taken on the ready tracks behind the PGWs main office building in Bergen Point's, Frankford Roundhouse area.  

Frank

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2012, 2:15pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P3242631_2.jpg - 72799 Bytes
« Reply #71 on: Mar 24th, 2012, 3:08pm »

post oea

Well 2 Lehigh Valley N1 class mikado camelbacks joined the roster at The Frankford Roundhouse today. Numbers 232 and 233 came out of retirement .  
Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/P3242631_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012, 11:22am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 4:35pm »

Toptrain:

Well, since your line seems to be facing a great motive power shortage, then reactivating retired locos is a true necessity!

This must be a truly interesting time on your layout!  

Alan

Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:07pm »

Toptrain,

Love those camelbacks. What scale are they and who manufactured them. I only have a Mantua 4-6-2, LV2303.  

Wish I could find more especially in O-2rail, but HO would be good too.

Ray Stilwell

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:07pm by Ray Stilwell » Logged

Ray Stilwell
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 5:17pm »

Very nice Frank........love it!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 7:42pm »

on Mar 25th, 2012, 5:07pm, Ray Stilwell wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Toptrain,

Love those camelbacks. What scale are they and who manufactured them. I only have a Mantua 4-6-2, LV2303.  

Wish I could find more especially in O-2rail, but HO would be good too.

Ray Stilwell

Ray, your number comes from a renumbering of the original 7 K1 to the 2300 series for K class locomotives. Mine are the same as yours with a change of front head lights. I even have a 2303 also as a K1. About my N1 Mikes,  232 was made from a unbuilt mantua kit I had. Number 233 was  ready to run CNJ 1608. Being a LV prototype and CNJ never had camelback mikes it seemed a good choice for a repainting.
 frank
Here is a link to North east rail for photos of the N1 class. You will see Numbers 232 and 233 there.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/lv_steam1.html

Ray; also both Williams and Raill king made very nice 4-6-0 camelbacks in both AC 3 rail and DC 2 rail. I know I guy who is selling both in AC .

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012, 7:59pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Mar 25th, 2012, 7:52pm »

on Mar 25th, 2012, 4:35pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Toptrain:

Well, since your line seems to be facing a great motive power shortage, then reactivating retired locos is a true necessity!

This must be a truly interesting time on your layout!  

Alan

Allen : Because of the PGW's area of responceability, a large amount of Motive Power is necessary. Also leases of some ended and they have moved on to other railroads.  
Frank

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012, 7:52pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 3:22pm »

Toptrain.

Thanks for the info. I'm strictly 2-rail.

By the way, I was born in Bayonne just after the dinasors (sp) went extinct.
Moved to Plainfield at age 3. Rode the CNJ to NY with my Dad many times.

In fact, the first loco I ever saw was a CNJ camelback 10 wheeler at Main Plainfield. I was scared to death but fascinated all at the same time.

You model the best railroads there ever were.

Ray

Ray Stilwell
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

233.jpg - 61896 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Mar 26th, 2012, 7:27pm »

post oea

Here are my LVRR N1's on the turntable at Frankford Roundhouse.
 Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/233.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012, 3:50pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

232.jpg - 63965 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Apr 14th, 2012, 2:28pm »

post oea

* Lehigh Valley N1 class #232 on turntable'
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/232.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2012, 2:28pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »