Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 12:08pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2  (Read 9250 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2

« Reply #20 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 5:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Mar 12th, 2011, 7:57am, gp7633 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is a better shot, I don't like the way the flash throws the color off. Always happens when I photograph my trains in the basement.

That's a common occurence. I've noticed it when photographing layouts at train shows. I look forward to seeing your SW when it's completed.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13th, 2011, 4:16pm »

Thanks Matthew-L, i'm almost finished but have a few more things to do.

Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 2:32pm »

Well, after much thought and sleepless nights, I have finally decided to move from HO to N Scale. The house my wife and I bought has plenty of space but my two little ones pretty kill any space I would have for a LV-RDG empire (and they will not be out of the house for a long time).  

So I started the sell-off of my HO items on Ebay. This is killing me since I have been collecting for over 30 years so this still does not sit well with me but again I have no space and may never have the space I need so it's on to N Scale. I have space for a 10 x 12 layout so in N Scale that would be pretty good size. Quite a few Atlas N Scale LV engines out there but no N5G's If anybody knows of any one or company that makes LV N5G's, please let me know. Sad day!

LV LOU
Historian
  new_pic_download_089-2.jpg - 290281 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 12:14am »

Walther's has Northeast style hacks like the LV's,but ya gotta paint them..They're not perfect,but in N,they're good enough..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/new_pic_download_089-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #24 on: Apr 7th, 2011, 10:36pm »

Brian, welcome to the dark side!  

What era are you planning to model?  It's a great time to be in N.

Frank

Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« Reply #25 on: Apr 8th, 2011, 11:49am »

Hi, I am modeling about the same era I was planning in HO and that is 1970-1976. Pretty much the last paint schemes the Valley used until her merge into Conrail. I am also modeling the Reading so I am hoping to do a relatively large yard like Allentown to have the two together. Also, being a Maryland resident, I might pick up a couple Western Maryland SD units to interchange with the Reading.

I am selling my HO stuff off pretty quickly, still have a lot to go yet but I am enjoying picking up new stuff in N. I found some people that do a beautiful job making custom diesels and cabooses. I plan to start building in about 3 years. My youngest is 2 so once he is a little older then it will be safe to start building it  

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 10:55am »

Awesome, that's my era as well. †Atlas has 70s N scale road diesels covered, with RS11, C420, C628, GP38AC, GP38-2, and U23B models. †Life-Like makes FA cab units and RS-2s. †About the only diesels truly missing in plastic are Baldwins.

Recent releases of intermodal flats (BLMA and Trainworx) will fill out my Apollo consists, while Eastern Seaboard is releasing an X58 later this year - schweet!

†Frank

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2011, 10:56am by amato1969 » Logged
gp7633
Railfan
  HPIM0660_1800x1350.jpg - 74992 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: May 5th, 2011, 5:12pm »

Hi everyone! I finaly finished my SW-7 221, it's been more than a year since I stripped it and started the repaint. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, although in these pictures you can't see the weathering that well (my pictures of models never turn out good) it looks great in person though.
Joe..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0660_1800x1350.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gp7633
Railfan
  HPIM0659_600x450.jpg - 38828 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: May 5th, 2011, 5:22pm »

Alright that didn't work. I'll try it again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0659_600x450.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gp7633
Railfan
  HPIM0662_600x450.jpg - 41048 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: May 5th, 2011, 5:27pm »

Here is a shot of the back.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0662_600x450.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #30 on: May 5th, 2011, 6:01pm »

Joe,

Nice work! Care to share what paint you used? The "trombone mutes" are a neat touch.
    Bud

gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #31 on: May 6th, 2011, 7:52pm »

Thanks Bud. I used Floquil Signal Red. I'm really disapointed how the pictures turned out, they look washed out and you can't see the weathering. I don't know if it's my camera or the lighting. I see so many good pics of peoples models and they look great, I don't know how they do it.

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #32 on: May 7th, 2011, 6:17pm »

Joe,

Your model looks great! Nice Job!

It's the "flash" on your camera thats making everything look "washed out". Try shutting the flash off.... photograph the model outside in natural light where a flash is not needed. Or try a spotlight....but diffuse the light for more "even" light.  I never use flash when shooting my layout.

gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #33 on: May 8th, 2011, 8:00am »

S-12_Dave Thank you! My wife bought me this camera to take in my work truck for any trains I might see (instead of having to use a disposible). It works great for that, but model railroads not so much. This will sound dumb, but I haven't figured out how to shut the flash off . Her camera is really good and I can shut the flash off on it, maybe I should go back to that one. We use my camera all the time now because it is more compact. I tried taking some outside but they turned out blury.        Thanks again S-12_Dave.
Joe.

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #34 on: May 16th, 2011, 10:41am »

With rain all last weekend, I made some progress on my Delaware River bridge scene.  Here's an overall view from the PA side:

This is a view looking directly up-river (with the PRR Bel-Del on the far right):

And a closeup of the newly-installed deck (so my N scale conductors won't fall through to the water):

Frank

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #35 on: May 16th, 2011, 3:43pm »

Frank,
    VERY NICE!!! Even in N scale I'll bet it is "huge", it is impressive workmanship for sure. What is the overall length of this?  
     Bud

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #36 on: May 16th, 2011, 11:01pm »

Thanks for the post, Bud. †Overall it's about 52". †I kept the deck trusses full size at 176 feet (13" in N) but only included 3. †Building all 6 of the prototype trusses would have driven me over the edge!!!

†Frank

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2011, 11:03pm by amato1969 » Logged
chuck
Railfan
  LV_90006_Model_lr.jpg - 61476 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: May 29th, 2011, 5:47pm »

Hi Guys,

I thought some of you might be interested in this.  I finished my version of an almost as built sand car.  Some of you may have seen Lee's O scale model which he did by piecing together decals to get most of the lettering.  Fortunately for me, Bud had Bob Anson make up a S scale decal set using the ARHS lettering diagram for the car.  I contacted Bob and he made me an HO set.

I found the origin of the sand cars to be pretty intriguing.  Chuck Yungkurth sent me a shop card for the 50000-500089 series covered hoppers and some photos.  The 90 cement cars in this series, which were the LV's first covered hoppers, were built at Packerton in 1930 from hoppers.  The series isnít listing in my 46 Register.  Based on the roof,  Iím positive some of these cars were rebuilt with new trucks and brakes into the sand cars in 1950.  I found it interesting that the sand cars had a new date of 1950.  I thought I read somewhere were railroads for tax purposes would totally rebuild cars and keep the original built date.

Chuck

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_90006_Model_lr.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chuck Davis
chuck
Railfan
  LV/LV_90006_being_picked_up_lr.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #38 on: May 29th, 2011, 5:51pm »

As usual, my photos don't seem to want to display even though I preview them. †I'll try this one taken on my layout.

Chuck

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2011, 9:30am by chuck » Logged

Chuck Davis
chuck
Railfan
  LV_90006_Model_lr.jpg - 61476 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: May 30th, 2011, 9:17am »

I think I appeased the cookie monster  , so I'll try posting the photos again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_90006_Model_lr.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chuck Davis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »