Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 12:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2  (Read 9068 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 9:14am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Again, I thought we'd start fresh for 2011.......After 33 pages at 20 replies each, I thought that going back to look for a particular post or photo could get onerous after a while, so let's carry on with a clean slate. If you guys don't agree and just want to keep adding to the original thread, just say so, and we'll kill this one.

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
gp7633
Railfan
Re: Modeling the Lehigh Valley, Pt.2
  HPIM0471_700x525.jpg - 51600 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 8:00am »

Ok! I will start. Here is an SW-7 iv'e been doing for quite awhile now. I buoght this off of Ebay a few years ago as Reading 2716. Although it looked good, it just wasn't right for the Reading. I made moves to try to correct the details but it just wasn't working. The paint was starting to crack when trying to remove the decals to place them in the right areas,(I used Tide detergent). After that I decided to just strip it completely and model it after LV SW-7 221. I have to finish decaling it, sealing it, and adding details. The time I get to work on my stuff is limited, so it's always slow going .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0471_700x525.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gp7633
Railfan
  HPIM0472_800x600.jpg - 56434 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 8:02am »

And the cab.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0472_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 10:37pm »

Looking good so far!

gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 7:58pm »

Thank you S-12_Dave. It may be awhile before I can get to it again, I can't seem to find time this winter to work on my projects.

2771-chris
Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 11:53am »

Good Morning All,
  How about a trio of LV geeps,A 9 and two 18's? All units are LL Proto 2000.

Units 300/03 were painted using SCII paints.I used tuscan on 303.The cornel red on 300 was bought at a hobby shop in Allentown yrs. ago were the shop owner had mixed it himself.MS decals were used on all three units.

I used Modelmaster insignia red on the 305 to give the unit that brighter look.

Happy RDG Modeling
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/2771-chris/
Chris
Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 12:25pm »

Chris,

As always, very nice. Did you use a Phase III GP9 for the 300? I have been wanting to get the 300 and 301 done, but was hoping Atlas would get around to doing them someday in the final paint schemes  

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:01pm »

Nice Pictures

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 6:13pm »

Wow!!  Very nice modeling!

2771-chris
Enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 4:43pm »

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Brian,yes its a phIII GP9.I wish I would have gotten the other one when I had the chance so I could do the 301.I would like to see Atlas produce all the geep 9 phases and revamp the geep 7.In HO I wish they would offer what they offer in N scale namely the geep 30's,35's.Alco C628/30's and revamp the RS3.

Happy RDG Modeling
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/2771-chris/
Chris
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 12:08pm »

Here's a quick update about my Delaware River bridge project (N scale).  Two of the three main trusses are now in place (I am modelling three of the five):

My full build thread is over on the Railwire at http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,10326.0.html

Frank

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 1:38pm »

Very nice work, Frank. How much of the rest of the layout is complete?

Ralph

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 10:42am »

Hi Ralph, thanks for the comments.  I have trackwork complete, but little if any scenery.  Phillipsburg gives me switching opportunities (freight station and team track), and will allow future expansion to the PRR yard.  

Someday (when the kids go to college?) I would like to include operations west to Bethlehem and Florence yard.  Here is Phillipsburg - note I did not have room to include the siding (track 3?) and 3rd diamond:

Frank

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 11:14am »

Frank -

That's OK, I know all about not having enough space! Missing the 3rd crossing is no biggie, it seems you've captured the flavor nicely......I would have pegged it for P'burg even if you hadn't told me. Looking forward to more when you can show us.

RAH

gp7633
Railfan
  HPIM0538_700x525.jpg - 83856 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 1:30pm »

Hi everyone! I have a question, maybe someone can help me out . I have this HO MRC LV C-420 that I bought at an auction 6 years ago. Iv'e never run it until this Christmas. Upon running it I found that it makes a noise, for lack of a better description (clack, clack, clack) . Coincedently it sounds like an alco, and the faster you run the engine the sound matches it. I started wondering if maybe it was like that on purpose, until I checked one on Youtube. That guys MRC C-420 ran very smooth. Does anyone know anything about these MRC's ? The only thing iv'e read about these was in an earlyer post that they wern't the best running engines. I really like this engine and would like to fix it if it is broke, but I don't know how to take the shell off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Joe.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/HPIM0538_700x525.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MKohan
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 8:56am »

The MRC units are notorious for gear problems. If the unit is new, as it sounds, it may be a case where the gears are not sitting properly in the truck assembly. The unit may also have a gear that is stuck, either by a burr that needs to be removed, or it may be in need of lubrication.

Don't be afraid to take it apart. Just take your time and do not force anything. Keep a notebook handy and make note of the order.

If I remember correctly, I was able to swap out some of the MRC gears with Athearn ones.

One other thing to look for (which is unlikely, but I have come across this) is a wire that is being hit by the drive assembly.

gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 7:25pm »

on Jan 28th, 2011, 8:56am, MKohan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The MRC units are notorious for gear problems. If the unit is new, as it sounds, it may be a case where the gears are not sitting properly in the truck assembly. The unit may also have a gear that is stuck, either by a burr that needs to be removed, or it may be in need of lubrication.

Don't be afraid to take it apart. Just take your time and do not force anything. Keep a notebook handy and make note of the order.

If I remember correctly, I was able to swap out some of the MRC gears with Athearn ones.

One other thing to look for (which is unlikely, but I have come across this) is a wire that is being hit by the drive assembly.

Thank you for your help, I was thinking the same thing about the gears. When I ran it I noticed that it moved slightly when it made the noise, it would make sense that maybe the gears are not sitting right in the truck. I have a feeling that it's in the gears anyway. Thanks again for your help .

gp7633
Railfan
  SW7_221_ho.jpg - 50295 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 7:32am »

I finally got some time to work on 221. I had the grab irons on but I have to redo them, the paint was too thick.  
Joe.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/SW7_221_ho.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gp7633
Railfan
  SW7_221.jpg - 41406 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 7:47am »

Here is a shot of the other side.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/SW7_221.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gp7633
Railfan
  SW7_221_4.jpg - 41133 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 7:57am »

Here is a better shot, I don't like the way the flash throws the color off. Always happens when I photograph my trains in the basement.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/SW7_221_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »