Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 1:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 41732 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  DSC00013_862x558.jpg - 55390 Bytes
« Reply #680 on: Oct 25th, 2016, 3:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'll end today's display with another Latshaw photo as the drill heads west out of the 12th Street yard on 5/29/69.  The caboose is shown crossing 13th St. as conductor, Ed Knopf, climbs aboard and the train begins its return trip back down the West End branch.
More pictures to come in the days ahead.   Enjoy!     -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00013_862x558.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #681 on: Oct 26th, 2016, 12:42pm »

Wow, more great pictures!  Thanks for sharing.

I wasn't on this side of the state until the mid 1990's, so these pictures are all so amazing to me.  

I sure hope that you do spark somebody else to post pictures that they might have.

JimE

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00014_816x616.jpg - 72408 Bytes
« Reply #682 on: Oct 26th, 2016, 9:18pm »

Glad you're enjoying the new additions, Jim.  Hope others are as well.
It was difficult photographing the West End drill at certain points along the line due to a narrow right-of-way and buildings constructed very close to one another.  In spite of that, Dave Latshaw managed to capture this inbound movement on 7/3/75 along Scott Street (between Gordon & Liberty Streets) as the train ran west between N. Franklin and N. 15th Streets.  The four-story factory building in the background originally belonged to A. H. Balliet who manufactured cigar boxes during the first half of the twentieth century.  It still stands today.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00014_816x616.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2016, 9:44pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00016_822x588.jpg - 49682 Bytes
« Reply #683 on: Oct 26th, 2016, 9:42pm »

On 12/19/75, Dave again managed to photograph the west-bound drill at a tight location about one block west of the previous photograph.  In this pre-Conrail shot, the engine is crossing N. Fulton Street (by the former Classic Photo building -- out of view on the left) and is entering a bend in the track which will lead its train to the diagonal crossing at 17th & Liberty Streets... 1.5 blocks west of here.  Visible just left of the head end (to the right of the truck) is the former warehouse of Harold Stephens Co., a wholesale grocery distributor who, four years earlier, moved their operations to a larger warehouse located at N 16th Street & Sumner Avenue.  Stephens was one of the final four businesses to receive shipments by rail just shortly before the WEB was officially abandoned in mid-1982.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00016_822x588.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00018_886x588.jpg - 70260 Bytes
« Reply #684 on: Oct 26th, 2016, 10:24pm »

I've saved the best for last tonight.  Way back on page one of this thread, I posted a Gif Sander photo showing a rare movement of the West End drill pulling a D&H box car out of the massive Schelly's Hardware & Lumber shed on the southeast corner of 17th & Liberty Streets.  In that photo, a 14-year old me was visible leaning out of the left side of the engine's cab.  This very rare shot was taken moments before the earlier Schelly's photo.  Though only my right elbow is visible in this image, I think this is my favorite picture ever taken along the WEB.  My guess is this was taken during the summer of 1970 since both Gif and I were off from school that day.  Very few cars were being received by Schelly's at that point in time and Gif and I were always keeping our eyes on the gravel and dirt which usually covered the flangeways next to the rails which led to this block-long wooden shed.  We could tell sometimes that cars were either placed in or pulled out of the building by seeing fresh cuts in the dirt along those rails, but this was the only time either of us was there to witness one of these rare movements.  Thanks goodness Gif not only had his camera with him, but also, at age 14, had developed a good photographic eye and knew where to stand to get a really good picture... especially because less than two years later, the rails leading to Shelly's (and the adjoining Trexler Lumber Company shed) were pulled up and, during the spring of 1973, a massive fire destroyed the entire facility.  Thanks for the memories, Gif!
That's it for tonight.  -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00018_886x588.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00021_850x544.jpg - 68213 Bytes
« Reply #685 on: Oct 27th, 2016, 4:09pm »

Here's another angle of a previously posted photo by Kermit Geary, Jr... taken as the outbound drill waited for the conductor to set the traffic lights at 17th & Tilghman Streets to four-way red so the train could proceed across the busy diagonal crossing once located at that intersection.  Not much has changed since this photo was taken around 1975.  The gas station and buildings visible at right still look pretty much as they did over 40 years ago, though the gas station is now a Citgo station rather than Pennico.  The view is looking east.    

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00021_850x544.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2016, 1:10pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00023_890x593.jpg - 68735 Bytes
« Reply #686 on: Oct 28th, 2016, 1:19pm »

On a late August morning in 1970 as my parents packed their car in preparation to take my sister back to William & Mary College, I quickly drove down to Hummel's main warehouse at 15th & Sumner Avenue to photograph this recently painted B&M box car which I had spotted the previous afternoon.  Hummel, one of the best customers along the WEB, almost always had at least one car (and sometimes as many as three) parked along the north side of their building.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00023_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00026_830x487.jpg - 47263 Bytes
« Reply #687 on: Oct 28th, 2016, 1:48pm »

I debated about including this photo I took due to its very poor quality.  However, I figured I should if for no other reason than to show off Great Northern's  blue & white paint scheme which adorned the side of this plug-door box car as the goat sat high up on Scheftel's siding in late 1969.  The rails are still intact for part of this siding because they're imbedded in the asphalt surface which the current owner of the property (a used car business) laid down on the southeast corner of 15th & Sumner.  The building still stands as well.
That's it for today.  In fact, that might be it for several days being that I have to search through the back of my closet for the slide tray which contains images of the WEB from 14th Street & Sumner Avenue down to the beginning of the line.  Not sure how many more photos I'll be posting, but I'm hoping those of you following these new additions are enjoying the images displayed from years gone by.  Please post comments, questions and, of course, any pictures which you may have.  --- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00026_830x487.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2016, 1:14pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #688 on: Oct 29th, 2016, 8:11pm »

All great pictures. Its good you guys paid attention to this branch line and local jobs. I wish I would have. Just great stuff you are putting on here. Thanks for posting.

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #689 on: Oct 29th, 2016, 11:52pm »

Glad you're enjoying it, irn750.  Unfortunately, I just discovered (after going back through the entire thread) that 5 of these photos were repeats of what I've posted before.  I guess that's what happens when a couple of years go by and a thread becomes very long... that, or my 61-year old memory isn't what it used to be!  I've just deleted those 5 posts because this thread is long enough without duplications.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2016, 1:19pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #690 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 10:54am »

Always enjoy what you have to post.  

Every time I go to Allentown for work it amazes me how much has changed, and is changing. It will not shock me if someday soon all railroading on the Hometown side is gone.  

Will you be doing a build thread for your layout?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

001_861x570.jpg - 92929 Bytes
« Reply #691 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 1:58pm »

towny72: Thanks for your input.  I agree (especially after the riverfront developers recently tore out the last remnant of the original LV main from Union Street north to Catty) that little remains for today's railfan to photograph.  Was it Ben Franklin who said "The only certainties in life are death & taxes"?  I think he forgot to include 'change'.  Regarding my HO layout... no plans at the moment to post pictures, but will be sure to once I get more scenery finished.   Back to the WEB photos!
Today's first post is from the Charles Houser collection, dated 4/20/1961.  It shows a LV Baldwin and train proceeding west along Sumner Avenue.  The train is passing where the N 14th Street crossing was later built to intersect with Sumner... just beyond the former Compressed Steel scrap yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/001_861x570.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

002_833x592.jpg - 75077 Bytes
« Reply #692 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 2:08pm »

Just slightly east of the N 14th St. crossing at Sumner Avenue, Dave Latshaw captured an eastbound drill as it passed the somewhat new Trexler Jr. High School (up on the hill) and Compressed Steel scrap yard (at right) on 12/19/75.  The windows of the interior staircase of Trexler (the recessed section to the left of the two white panels) is where Gif Sander and I spent many a spare minute between classes and over lunch gazing out to see if we could catch a glimpse of rail activity during the late 1960s.  Back in those days, there was almost always something to see along the line from our elevated vantage point.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/002_833x592.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

003_830x602.jpg - 47247 Bytes
« Reply #693 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 2:13pm »

Dave didn't always limit his railfanning to beautiful days... as is evident in this 12/19/74 picture taken (looking south) from the 12th Street hill, just north of Sumner Avenue.  The only thing missing from this location today are the trains and tracks.  The building pictured still stands on the southeast corner of the intersection.
More new photos in the coming days.   --- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/003_830x602.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

007_890x593.jpg - 81180 Bytes
« Reply #694 on: Oct 31st, 2016, 12:53pm »

For those of you too young to remember when the "Great Allentown Fair" was still truly "great", you obviously are too young to remember the excitement (at least for us railfans) of seeing the World of Mirth fair train arrive along Sumner Avenue and watching as the WOM crew skillfully unloaded their colorful wagons from the silver flat cars and hauled them west to the fairgrounds at 17th & Liberty Streets.  I remember two times when my Dad took me down to watch the activities and have never forgotten the experience.  Though I was too young to have a camera in hand (or even the thought of mind to capture the action on film), fortunately people like Bruce Kleppinger  and Charles Houser took the time to snap a couple of photos so the rest of us can now look back on yet another experience lost to the passing of time.  In September of 1958, Bruce took this shot looking southeast along the 900 block of Sumner Avenue, after the cars had been unloaded.  The old structures in the background still exist over 50 years later.
*** Dave Beazley (who took several photos posted to this site) just told me about a carnival website that has some photos taken along Sumner Ave.  The 16th & 17th images on page 1 show a fully-loaded fair train sitting near this location.  Many great images to be viewed at  http://www.carnivalmag.com/bonusphotos/category/25-world-of-mirth
Thanks Dave!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/007_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2016, 12:38pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

006_877x577.jpg - 58983 Bytes
« Reply #695 on: Oct 31st, 2016, 1:01pm »

Another picture by Bruce shows one of the wagons being pulled by chain off of its flat car.  The add for Camel cigarettes in the background is NOT an endorsement by this moderator nor the photographer.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/006_877x577.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

008_880x581.jpg - 65609 Bytes
« Reply #696 on: Oct 31st, 2016, 1:05pm »

In this 9/26/43 picture by Charles Houser, it's hard to know exactly where along Sumner Avenue this photo was taken due to the lack of structures in the background.  (I'm guessing possibly the 1100 block, looking southeast.)  In spite of that, it's still fun to look at!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/008_880x581.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016, 1:07pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

009_890x593.jpg - 90839 Bytes
« Reply #697 on: Oct 31st, 2016, 1:10pm »

Today's final image (taken by Bob Wilt back on 12/29/76) shows more coverage of the West End drill proceeding east along Sumner Avenue as good old Ironton #751 blows its horn for the N 8th Street grade crossing... directly across from the Sumner Avenue (today "Tippy's") car wash.  I'll have more of this rare train's trip down the line next time around.  Enjoy!   -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/009_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2016, 10:31pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

010_890x593.jpg - 89863 Bytes
« Reply #698 on: Nov 1st, 2016, 10:38pm »

Bob snapped off another shot as the train proceeded east past Schneider & Son's scrap metal business, still located today between 8th and 6th Streets along both sides of Sumner Avenue.  In another few moments, it will pass under Allentown's 7th Street bridge seen in the distance.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/010_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

011_890x593.jpg - 88165 Bytes
« Reply #699 on: Nov 1st, 2016, 10:59pm »

I don't really know who took this picture on 12/15/63, though my belief is it could be one of Randy Kulp's efforts.  The picture of LV Baldwin #242 shows the outbound (westbound) drill a moment before it ducked under the 7th Street bridge... the bridge upon which the photographer was standing.  The turnout shown was the starting point of double tracking along the WEB which ran from 7th Street to about where 10th Street would have crossed the line... had it ever been built out to Sumner Avenue.  Though built as a runaround track with turnouts on each end (and if I'm remembering correctly, a crossover about midway along its length), this second track was mainly used during the 1960s and early 70s as a siding to service a number of small industries once located along Sumner Avenue in this 3-block stretch.  This eastern part of the siding was little used except on the rare occasion when Schneider's wanted a gondola placed south of the main.  (On one of the first few pages of this thread, I posted a picture of mine showing a LV SW placing a PC gondola here.)  Though impossible to see in the previous photo due to snow cover and a great deal of weed overgrowth, this second track still existed at the time Bob took his photo of the Ironton-led drill.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/011_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2016, 11:03pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »