Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 3:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42281 times)
DAVE-39
Enthusiast
Re: Allentown branchlines

« Reply #580 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 1:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A few comments to recent posts.

Page 27, Post 537. At one time there was a narrow wooden pedestrian bridge across the Jordan Creek at almost the exact spot where the new Summner Ave bridge is located. I saw a 1925 picture where it looked like a covered bridge, but in a later picture taken in the early 40's it showed an open wooden bridge. It was narrow and for pedestrians only (maybe also horse and buggy). The 40's picture showed the JL track in the background with crossing signs for the road/path. This bridge was destroyed by a flood in 1942.

Page 28, Post 555. The Allentown Terminal RR (ATRR) received its charter on Aug. 20, 1888 and opened the Allentown passenger station on March 17, 1890. The ATRR was owned jointly by the Reading Company and the CNJ. Remember the CNJ had previously leased the Lehigh and Susquehanna RR from the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Co. As far as I know and had seen, The CNJ switched all the ATRR track (station, industries, Wire Mill etc) in the Allentown area. The RDG used its passenger locomotives to access the station, but only came as far north as the Hamilton St. crossing and then backed out of the station.  

Page 29, Post 560 and 561. The little bridge at the bend in the Lehigh River was for the Lehigh Iron Co. which was founded by William Ainey. This was an iron company on the south bank of the Lehigh River. The iron company built a small village to house some of its employees. The village became known as Aineyville. Some of the houses still stand on Constitution Drive. Thus was derived the name "Aineyville Viaduct" for the Lehigh Valley Transit Company bridge that crossed the RDG East Penn Yards. I believe the small bridge was used to haul slag in wagons pulled by donkies.

Dave Latshaw

Dave-39
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #581 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 3:34pm »

Dave-39 Latshaw: Thanks once again for your contributions to this forum and especially for providing the detailed information few of us know about.  Any chance at adding the 1940s picture you mentioned which shows the old narrow bridge and Jordan Loop crossing?  As they always say... "a picture is worth a 1,000 words".  Thanks Dave!  

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012, 10:31pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
bigpistol
TRAINing
  allentown-3.jpg - 75416 Bytes
« Reply #582 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:16pm »

A Postcard I found online.  The bridge over the Lehigh River.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/allentown-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CAS_LVRR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #583 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 1:28pm »

On the LNE Allentown branch there was a spur that broke off to the right just north of the LNE freight station.   This went over to the Allentown Paint Manufacturing Company.  Back in the 50's the small spur to the left (heading north from the LNE freight station) , right by Union Blvd. ,  was for H J Heinz warehouse.  I can still picture those cars sitting on the siding.

Charlie

one87th
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #584 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:33pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:16pm, bigpistol wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A Postcard I found online.  The bridge over the Lehigh River.

The bridge visible in that postcard is a through truss bridge of the Allentown Terminal over the Lehigh Canal (a re-built, more substantial version is still in existence and used by Norfolk Southern). View is looking north. Lehigh River would be to the left (partly visible in background with old Hamilton Street brige), Allentown yard to the right.
The track in the foreground is the track that lead southward through a slag dump and bridged the Lehigh River to the iron works. That bridge was a deck truss.

Again, a picture of the iron works and its bridge appears on page 144 of "The Anthracite Iron Industry of the Lehigh Valley" by C. Bartholomew & L. Metz.

It can't be confirmed from this photo, but it would appear the slag spur continued to the left and tied in with the Allentown Terminal, as the iron works wouldn't want to be captive to only shipping via the LV.

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2012, 3:37pm by one87th » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #585 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:48pm »

CAS_LVRR: Hey Charlie... thanks so much for your input.  I knew about the old Allentown Paint Company, but had no memory of that siding just south of Union Blvd -- nor of the fact that it was a Heinze warehouse.  Any chance you ever took pictures/slides along the Allentown branch?  If so, please post them, or give me a call and I'll do it for you if you don't have the equipment.  If not, please continue to add comments regarding any other memories you have along that interesting east-side branch.  -- Mark Rabenold, Allentown  (I'm in the book.)

one87th:  Good eye... and thanks for explaining.  I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at in that postcard shared by bigpistol... but the multiple thru-truss bridge over the Lehigh in the distance should have been the giveaway.  As you stated, that was the old Hamilton St. automobile/trolley bridge which predated the current concrete and steel bridge used by cars today.  Thanks for your contribution, big, and for your good eye, Michael.

Great news!  Dave Beazley dug through his collection of slides and found a couple he took of the PP&L's "Energy of Man" train spotted near the former Union St. crossing along the Barber Branch back around late 1973!  This was news to me as I never realized those cars visited BOTH LV branchlines.  Dave-39, did you know about the BB visit?  As soon as I borrow them, I'll post them.  Something else to look forward to.  Let's keep this thread going... and growing, guys!  Thanks to all. --Mark

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2012, 5:02pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00003_794x529.jpg - 75261 Bytes
« Reply #586 on: Feb 24th, 2012, 4:13pm »

As promised: PP&L's "Energy of Man" 3-car train photographed by Dave Beazley as it sat just south of the W. Union Street grade crossing on the Valley's Barber Branch... west of the Union Terrace Elementary School.  The slide mounts were dated "MAR 74", but Dave said he didn't always process rolls promptly.  The photos could be from late 1973.  Either way, I'm now questioning whether my estimate of when Gif Sander shot the train on Ice City's Allen St. siding along the West End Branch wasn't off by a couple of years.  I'm now tempted to guess Gif's shots were from Allentown Fair week of 1973 instead of my earlier guess of 1970-71.

In this first shot, Dave is standing at the south end of the train, looking northeast.  The automobiles are parked along Union St., which is immediately north (RR west) of the train.  That's Cedar Creek to the left of the track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00003_794x529.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2012, 4:15pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00002_831x554.jpg - 66481 Bytes
« Reply #587 on: Feb 24th, 2012, 4:25pm »

In this second view, Dave included the entire train by moving to the east side and facing north.  Union St. crossing can be seen to the right of the train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00002_831x554.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_855x570.jpg - 82790 Bytes
« Reply #588 on: Feb 24th, 2012, 4:49pm »

In his final picture, Dave captured more than just the north end of the train at the foot of the Union St. grade crossing.  He also got the profile of the old wooden sign which used to mark the crossing... as well as a silhouette of the large crusher located at the Ziegenfuss limestone quarry which sat about a block or so south of where these 3 pictures were taken.  (Visible in the distance above the last car of the train, immediately to the left of the RR-crossing sign post.)  For a better view, see reply #147 on page 8 of this forum.

Special thanks to Dave for coming up with more unique photos taken of things around Allentown which no longer exist.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, these cars sat for months on PP&L's siding just north of Union Blvd along the Allentown Branch of the L&NE... then operated by the Lehigh Valley.  They were clearly visible from the street.  Is there nobody out there with pictures of such in his/her collection??  Dig, folks... dig!   --Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_855x570.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2012, 3:43pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
FanORail
Enthusiast

« Reply #589 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 1:42am »

First off I would like to say thanks to all the contributors to this thread! Great stuff! I will be using this thread to help with modeling the BQ Branch. I grew up on the top of S 10th St. so I'm very familiar with the area. On that note, has anyone modeled anything from the BQ Branch or have any suggestions? I'm finally getting a plan together. Feel free to email me.

Horace P. Jackson
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #590 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 3:36pm »

FanORail:  Always enjoy reading comments from names I haven't seen before.  Welcome aboard.  You didn't give your age, so I don't know during which era you grew up on S. 10th St... pre-BQB abandonement or post?  Also, which time-frame are you modeling?  I think I posted photos from just about every stretch of the Barber branch, so hopefully they'll help you to model any areas with which you weren't too familiar.  While I was more of a West End branch "expert" from the 1960s to the early 1980s, I got to know the Barber branch quite well during the mid 80s until its abandonement.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you're modeling the final years of operation.  If, however, you're modeling the earlier years, Dave Latshaw (Dave-39) -- who also grew up on S. 10th St. -- would be the person to contact.  Dave has a small branch on his HO layout and I have plans for a lengthy branch on my pending layout, but neither of us is replicating either of the Valley's Allentown branchlines.  I don't know of anybody who's done so, but maybe someone else reading this will have some information for you.  Again... glad you've enjoyed following what I started here one and a half years ago.  I keep hoping more new names will appear with added memories or photos... though it seems my hopes are quickly fading.  Good luck with your layout!   --Mark Rabenold

FanORail
Enthusiast

« Reply #591 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 7:26pm »

Thanks Mark. Sorry, I lived on South 10th St. when I was 3 till about 12 or 13. I was born in 79. I'm going to try to model late sixties to early ConRail. I have all the info I could possibly use between this thread and David's article in the Lehigh County Historical Society Proceedings. I'm just stuck on a plan. Also having fun searching for some buildings that I can use to model some of the industries, esp. Traylor! Thanks again for all the great info and photos.

Chris Peters

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2012, 10:36pm by FanORail » Logged

Horace P. Jackson
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_889x592.jpg - 55861 Bytes
« Reply #592 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 12:41am »

Looks like my buddy, Dave Beazley, is the only older fan out there willing to keep sharing some of his golden oldies.  I'll post 2 of the 3 slides he loaned me tonight.  The other I'll save for another day.

This first shot shows LV Baldwin #230 and her caboose sitting near the old Union St. office (which included a car scale) where the crews who operated trains on the WEB and BQB started and ended their days.  The office sat on the south side of W. Union St, just west of the LV's main crossing.  In the background you'll see a small section of the large coaling ramp which sat east of the several tracks once located at this site.  The date was July, 1967.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_889x592.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00002_890x593.jpg - 56792 Bytes
« Reply #593 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 12:56am »

In the final post for tonight, Dave returned to the same location on 10/06/68 and photographed LV SW9 #280 with caboose in tow.

The remaining slide was taken from a very unusual angle of a train passing near the Allentown Terminal's north (railroad west) interchange with the CNJ main in June of '73.  Two LV 628s are in the frame, as well as a couple of other interesting things.  However, I think I'll refrain from posting it until somebody else out there (and with close to 20,000 views of this thread rapidly approaching... there should be a lot of you) posts at least one picture of his/her own taken somewhere along any of the locations covered on this thread.  Now how's THAT for a challenge?  -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00002_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2012, 12:58am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #594 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 7:43am »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the PP&L train consisted of Reading heritage cars.  I remember going through the train while on the WEB at the "Great" Allentown Fair in the 70's.

rdg_5308
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #595 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 11:23am »

on Mar 14th, 2012, 7:43am, CandF wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the PP&L train consisted of Reading heritage cars.  I remember going through the train while on the WEB at the "Great" Allentown Fair in the 70's.

Yes, they are Reading cars and surprisingly when I last checked about three or four years ago, all three cars still survived at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI.  The one coach that had the end opened up to create an observation platform is regularly used on the museum train.  The other two cars were somewhat rougher but at the time were being used for annual Halloween Haunted house (or train) events, but I think they were looking at de-accessing those two - not sure if they did.

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00003_836x557.jpg - 51258 Bytes
« Reply #596 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 11:20pm »

Okay... I guess my hopes of others posting old pictures of these great old lines are now completely dashed.  In spite of that, I'll share what was shared with me.  Here's Dave Beazley's picture of a westbound Valley freight heading up the former CNJ main as it was passing the site of the former WK tower.  Dave took the picture while standing out on the eastern-most span of the Allentown Terminal Railroad's bridge across the Lehigh River.  Taken in 1973, after the CNJ's departure from Pennsylvania, this rare view shows a red signal still lit in spite of significant rust on the rails indicating that it's been many weeks or months since any train ran across this track.  Look closely at the left rail and you'll see the derail which once protected this interchange location.  Thanks, Dave, for this rare view of railroading from days gone by!  -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00003_836x557.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #597 on: Mar 28th, 2012, 11:55pm »

on Mar 28th, 2012, 11:20pm, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Okay... I guess my hopes of others posting old pictures of these great old lines are now completely dashed.  In spite of that, I'll share what was shared with me.   -- Mark

Mark,
   I suppose that I'm just a lurker here, but I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed this thread immensely.  I was born and raised on the other side of the state, and didn't move to the Allentown area until the late 1990s when everything was well gone.  Reading this thread made me realize the amazing amount of railroad history that has vanished from the scene.  Looking at Google maps in map mode to shows the property lines, really can show where the tracks were.   I don't go to Allentown very often, but reading about the WEB and the BQB and the Jordan Loop was a real eye-opener.  I really enjoyed your pictures and the amount of history that you described on here.  Thank you!

Jim

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #598 on: Mar 29th, 2012, 9:58pm »

Hi Mark!

I have enjoyed your numerous photos on here for some  
time. I wouldn't take it personal that there aren't other shots  
on here. I'm sure that there has to be a reason for it one way  
or the other, but don't feel bad.

But again, thank YOU for posting the shots you have put on here!

In 3 days, it will be 36 years since the end of the Lehigh Valley,  
but being that I will be 41 in two days, your shots keep the "Valley"  
alive for this guy who never saw it in real time!

Charlie

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012, 9:59pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

slotracer

View Profile  

« Reply #599 on: Apr 9th, 2012, 12:21pm »

I have completely enjoyed this thread and want to thank those who have contributed all the great photos and information. Sorry I don't have anything to add as I grew up in the Buffalo area and have never been to Allentown/Bethelehem except for business in the late 1990's and after so I have no photos of the area to share. Hopefully I might get the time to scan some of my Western New York stuff and add it to the page this year....

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »