Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 23rd, 2017, 8:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42069 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  DSC00003_857x571.jpg - 66323 Bytes
« Reply #520 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 1:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

In this second shot, Dave moved around to the southeast end of the freight station and took this picture facing northwest.  There was no date given for either of these slides, but it's obvious from the broken and boarded-up windows that the building was no longer in service... so one can guess it was taken sometime after the CNJ pulled out of PA in 1972.  The tracks shown are the site of today's American Parkway between Hamilton and Linden Sts.
It's late.  I'll post the remaining slides over the next day or two.   -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00003_857x571.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2012, 1:19am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_890x593.jpg - 63565 Bytes
« Reply #521 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 1:49pm »

As the map back on page 1 of this thread shows, from the location shown in the previous picture, the CNJ trackage ran north, then turned to the east and headed under the Front Street bridge... the same path the American Parkway follows today.  However, unlike American Parkway, the CNJ tracks continued east across a fill and over a plate-girder bridge which crossed the Lehigh Valley main.  From there it turned left and headed northeast, crossing the Lehigh river through the multiple through-truss bridges which still stand near Kimmet's Lock.  It was there that this track rejoined the CNJ main at WK tower.  Fortunately, Dave Beazley had his camera in hand one day while in the area and took this great shot which not only showed the by then abandoned tower, but a crossover and the turnout leading to the track which once took CNJ passengers to Allentown Station.   Next time, some photos of the remnants of part of the Valley's Jordan Loop taken in November, 1968... after most of the rails were lifted.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2012, 1:55pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00004_876x584.jpg - 104021 Bytes
« Reply #522 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 4:17pm »

Back on page 3, the second picture I posted shows Ironton Baldwin #751 pulling a short train off the West End branch... just under the old Tilghman St. bridge.  Bob Wilt's shot, though taken with snow on the ground, also included the former right-of-way of the Valley's "Jordan Loop".  Though the tracks had already been removed at the time the picture was taken, they had previously curved off to the right of the train -- the area between the active track pictured and the Jordan Creek, visible to the far right.  About a quarter mile beyond, the tracks crossed over a deck girder bridge built over the twisting and turning Jordan Creek, then shortly beyond, ran beneath Front Street through a stone arch underpass.  Just beyond that underpass, the tracks took a hard left (northward) turn and connected not far beyond with the Valley main.
If you look at the first posting I made on this thread, the upper right portion of the map shows the words "Jordan ---> Creek" in bold letters.  About an inch beyond that, you'll see where the creek crossed under the Jordan Loop's bridge... the track being the line hi-lighted in blue.  
On November 5th, 1968, Dave walked and photographed this section of the Jordan Loop right-of-way, beginning just southwest of the deck bridge and ending just east of the Front St. underpass.  In this first picture, he captured the rusting milepost marker which read "J 94"  He was facing northeast.  Though the rails were still in place on the eastbound track across the bridge, both tracks had already been removed as the following pictures will show.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00004_876x584.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00005_819x546.jpg - 82850 Bytes
« Reply #523 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 4:24pm »

To obtain more of an engineer's view, Dave walked out onto the bridge to capture this shot.  It's obvious from the amount of underbrush on the right side of the picture that the westbound track had been removed a couple of years earlier.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00005_819x546.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00006_847x565.jpg - 101920 Bytes
« Reply #524 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 4:40pm »

After crossing the Jordan Creek, Dave turned 180-degrees and took this shot, looking back on Allentown.  If you look at the map again, you'll see a double-dotted line which paralleled the WEB (in yellow) and crossed over the Jordan Loop (in blue).  Even though this map was from the 1960s, the dotted lines represented what was then a proposed extension of Sumner Avenue... the section which now connects old Sumner Avenue (the part west of 6th St.) with the American Parkway.  So the next time you're driving east on Sumner Ave. from 6th Street and you come to a stop a couple of auto lengths west of the bridge over the Jordan Creek and the nearby traffic light, realize that you're sitting on the former Jordan Loop right-of-way... just slightly south of where this railroad bridge stood some 40-plus years ago!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00006_847x565.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2012, 4:41pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00007_890x593.jpg - 102902 Bytes
« Reply #525 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 4:53pm »

Moving closer to Front Street, Dave captured the detail of the random cut stone used to build this underpass in this east-facing shot.  I would have to imagine this was filled in years ago, but I haven't gone beneath Front St. to explore this area in about 44 years.  Has anybody explored this area and, if so, has it been filled in?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00007_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00008_890x593.jpg - 116088 Bytes
« Reply #526 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 5:00pm »

For his final shot, Dave walked to the east side of Front Street and turned around to capture this west-facing view.  Look closely at the ties and tieplates in the ballast and you can see just how superelevated this curve once was.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00008_890x593.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #527 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 5:16pm »

Again, my special thanks to Dave Beazley for sharing these windows to the past with all of us who wish we'd taken more pictures... or wish we'd been born earlier.
I truly hope that more of you older guys who know you have shots in your collections that tie in to any of the subjects covered in this thread will take the time to do some digging and post what you have.  As I've said many times before, sharing with the next generation of railfans gives one a good feeling inside.  If it weren't for guys like Beazley, Latshaw, Sander, Wilt, Houser, Kleppinger... and a few other fans along the way, this thread wouldn't have grown to the size it has... nor would it have had the huge number of hits it's had.  Until a time machine is invented, sharing these images is the only way to travel back in railroading time.  Not all of us have a collection large enough to produce numerous "In Color" books to market what we have, so if you only have one shot or you have a dozen, post them... or give me a call and I'll help you put them out there for our fellow fans to see.  Thanks guys (and girls).   -- Mark Rabenold

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2012, 5:18pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #528 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 7:14pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting these shots. Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys born too late, 5 years from the last day of LV's existence. But I will say I thoroughly enjoy viewing every photo posted in these forums. Please keep it up---they're great!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #529 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 8:46pm »

Great stuff as always Thanks Mark and Dave. Its hard to imagine these tracks and buildings were there and I seen them when I was young. How time has changed some places

davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #530 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:25pm »

thx very much, photos of the Jordan Loop are probably rarer than perfect diamonds.  I enjoyed it very much.  When you talk about driving on Sumner Avenue where the Jordan Loop was, do you mean where the West End Branch was, I don't think the Jordan Loop approached Sumner Ave.

Thx again.

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_876x638.jpg - 238178 Bytes
« Reply #531 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:29am »

Thanks for the comments and interest guys... that's what makes sharing these gems so much fun.
Davidyur... I realize it's a bit confusing trying to follow my explanations of where the tracks ran without being able to have the map in front of you while reading what I wrote... so I'll post the map again.  You're right... back in the 1960s, it was the WEB which ran along Sumner Avenue.  What I was referring to was the newer part of Sumner... the extension which the city added within the past decade which connects with the American Parkway just west of Front St., at the foot of the Ridge Ave. hill, a block north of Tilghman St.  Had this newest portion of Sumner existed back in the 1960s (see the double dotted lines shown on the map near the upper right corner), it would have been crossed by the Jordan Loop tracks just about 25 or so feet west of the concrete automobile bridge which now carries Sumner Ave. over the Jordan Creek.  In fact, in the shot Dave took after crossing the old railroad bridge -- the one looking back on Allentown -- you would have been able to see the Sumner Ave. crossing... had it existed in November of 1968 when Dave took these photos.    I hope this helps clarify what I was trying to explain.  -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_876x638.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2012, 12:48am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

37490011_772x512.jpg - 52461 Bytes
« Reply #532 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:24am »

on Feb 1st, 2012, 4:53pm, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moving closer to Front Street, Dave captured the detail of the random cut stone used to build this underpass in this east-facing shot.  I would have to imagine this was filled in years ago, but I haven't gone beneath Front St. to explore this area in about 44 years.  Has anybody explored this area and, if so, has it been filled in?
I took the following pics about two years ago. This view is from the Eastern side Front st..In this pic i'm looking towards the site of the Jordan Creek bridge..As you can see the r.o.w. here has been filled in and is now part of a parking lot

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/37490011_772x512.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

37490012_772x512.jpg - 80093 Bytes
« Reply #533 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:31am »

In this pic i'm standing on the  r.o.w. looking East towards the now-buried portal of the Front St Tunnel/underpass.. The low wall is all that remains ABOVE GROUND of the portal

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/37490012_772x512.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

37490014_772x512.jpg - 115765 Bytes
« Reply #534 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:34am »

on Feb 1st, 2012, 5:00pm, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
For his final shot, Dave walked to the east side of Front Street and turned around to capture this west-facing view.  Look closely at the ties and tieplates in the ballast and you can see just how superelevated this curve once was.
This photo is of the same location as it appeared about two years ago..There has been some earth moving done in this area recently. I'm making a point of heading out over the weekend and snapping a current pic.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/37490014_772x512.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Jordan_loop_today_749x415.jpg - 62957 Bytes
« Reply #535 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 3:52am »

Here's a pic of the site of the Jordan Creek bridge today courtesy of Bing Maps. Map index:  (1) LVRR Jordan Creek bridge pier.(2) What i believe is the skeletal remains of the single story structure to the left of the " J 94" sign in the photo a few postings back. (3) My best guess as to the exact location of the r.o.w. (4) The garage and cluster of buildings depicted in my first pic..Hope this helps put things in perspective    

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Jordan_loop_today_749x415.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2012, 4:02am by IRR » Logged
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #536 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:56pm »

IRR: Great addition to this subject... especially the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pictures.  Those BING birdseye maps are great for viewing current and former railroad right-of-ways.  I was wondering if there were any remnants left of the JL bridge over the Jordan Creek.  Based on the satellite photo (and the map), the bridge crossed the creek on a somewhat diagonal angle... not a 90-degree angle.  Without clearly seeing the pier on the western bank, it's difficult to see exactly where the JL would have crossed today's Sumner Avenue, but looking at Dave's shot where he faced west after crossing the bridge (the one showing part of Allentown in the distance), the remaining track looks like it ran quite straight until hitting the southward (left) turn at the bottom of the grade.  Because of that picture, I'd have to guess that the lower portion of your dotted line (#3) should have lined up straighter with the upper portion... thus bringing the JL tracks a bit closer to the Sumner Ave. concrete bridge than you have it marked.  I'll be very anxious to see what you come up with if you're able to take more pictures of the area this weekend.  Thanks so much for your interesting additions and answer to my question as to whether or not the Front St. underpass was ever filled in.  I really appreciate your input!  -- Mark

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2012, 12:10am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Jordan_Loop_today_2.jpg - 226547 Bytes
« Reply #537 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 12:40am »

I managed to find a Bing aerial showing the other pier (#1 in my pic below) #2 is the structure and the approximate location of pier one..Unfortunately none of the angles available showed both piers... Don't know why i placed the track location so off in my other pic..DOH!!! My bad

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (226547 bytes, 1495x837 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Jordan_Loop_today_2.jpg - 226547 Bytes

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Jordan_loop_Historical.jpg - 258903 Bytes
« Reply #538 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 1:09am »

50's Aerial of the area in question from Penn Pilot..Man i love that site!!! Bridge street leads (today) to the "new" Sumner Ave extension and also American pakway.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (258903 bytes, 1917x956 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Jordan_loop_Historical.jpg - 258903 Bytes

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #539 on: Feb 4th, 2012, 5:06pm »

IRR: Another great addition!  Thanks so much for adding the Penn Pilot map and especially for hi-lighting all of the tracks.  Makes things much easier to figure out having everything color-coded.  I guess I was right... the JL tracks would have crossed today's Sumner Avenue extension about 20 or 25 feet west of the west end of the concrete bridge over Jordan Creek.  Again, thanks for your input!  -- Mark

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »