Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42077 times)
JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

Video from the 1950's

« Reply #500 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 9:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's a youtube video featuring some East Penn Junction, CNJ Yard / Roundhouse, Allentown Station action.  Not the branches, but there was conversation about East Penn Junction and Allentown Station.  Neat stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHuIqjaN57c

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  IMG_1795_800x600.jpg - 95148 Bytes
« Reply #501 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 3:57pm »

Little late to post on  this but just today got out to check out the Lehigh st bridge..Not only is there rail in place in Lehigh St but the first span of the LVRR bridge still survives!!! The Lehigh St  vehicular bridge and the LVRR Barber Quarry bridge are connected to each other!!! Bizarre!!!! Here's a pic i took today..you can see the stone pier of the LVRR/ Lehigh st bridge and the surviving span of the LV bridge..I'm posting the rest of todays pics in the thread i'm starting in the LV forum  called "Wire Mill Area 2011"..Check em out.  on Feb 4th, 2011, 2:11pm, ecm4 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am somewhat new to this forum, but just wanted to say that I've enjoyed this topic immensely, especially the Barber Branch pictures and info, as I drive near that area almost every day.

I found this while looking through Google StreetView -- are those tracks still visible in the pavement from where the BQB crossed over Lehigh St/Little Lehigh to the old Wire Mill?

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Allentown,+Lehigh,+Pennsylvania&ll=40.597051,-75.466721&spn=0.001491,0.003484&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.597249,-75.467122&panoid=0jTX3rKIgLan-yUa00xgyw&cbp=12,330.64,,0,35.62

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1795_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_1804_800x600.jpg - 33595 Bytes
« Reply #502 on: Mar 4th, 2011, 5:39pm »

Here's two  cool LVRR West End/ Barber Quarry related artifacts i found at home...The first is a cut-up bed slat...About 92 i built a home made guitar stand from some old wood i found in our basement...When i took it apart  about a month ago i found it was stamped"  HUMMEL FURN. Co. ALLENTOWN.PA. "...I regret not looking at the bed slat before i cut it up  back then .Here it is

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1804_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2011, 5:41pm by IRR » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_1802_800x600.jpg - 59642 Bytes
« Reply #503 on: Mar 4th, 2011, 5:48pm »

Doing some spring cleaning today and took out the top shelf in our closet today and found this... My grandfather George Huber worked for Dragon Cement (later Martin Marietta) right up intil the plant was closed bout 1983 and apparently he used whatever wood he could find to construct the shelf ...In this case a piece of packing crate from FULLER CO!!!! Though the "Allen" part of Allentown is missing i think however i can safely assume part 135# came from the Fuller Co facilities along the Barber Branch....Wonder if it came by rail.....  ENJOY!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1802_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2011, 5:49pm by IRR » Logged
100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #504 on: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:00am »

The lehigh street bridge as captioned  in post,the concrete railing of bridge was 5 inches under water during hurricane diane flooding in 1955

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_1837_791x588.jpg - 69358 Bytes
« Reply #505 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 2:30am »

Here's some shots i took on 3-16-11 of R J Corman running on the former LVRR Jordan loop..Here #1713 is crossing Union St next to the site of Union St tower...I'm standing in the former Modern Plumbing parking lot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1837_791x588.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_1838_793x590.jpg - 84199 Bytes
« Reply #506 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 2:33am »

#1713 is heading towards  the site of the LVRR Allentown passenger station..The platform and some foundations still survive in 2011!! The bridge in the distance is the Hamilton St  Bridge

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1838_793x590.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_1839_795x594.jpg - 80279 Bytes
« Reply #507 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 2:39am »

R J Corman #1831 finishes up this solid R J Corman consist...Oddly enough this was the only RUNNING engine!! Lead unit 1713 was seemingly shut down with the exception of the headlights..Is this unit now just a control cab? I know the  RJC units are equipped with remote controls.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/IMG_1839_795x594.jpg
Click Image to Resize

vincejlee
TRAINing
  AllenTownPass_1.jpg - 222652 Bytes
« Reply #508 on: Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:43am »

I was in the Allentown area yesterday for a railroad operating session, and on the way back to Long Island, stopped off at the Linden Street area to see if any traces of the freighthouse was left. Unfortunately, I could find nothing, the reconstruction by R. J. Corman has wiped everything out. However, at the site of the passenger station, the steel supporting beams, and the piers holding everything out of the creek are still there.

Vince Lee

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/AllenTownPass_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:52am by vincejlee » Logged
vincejlee
TRAINing
  AllenTownPass_2.jpg - 229411 Bytes
« Reply #509 on: Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:48am »

Here's a second image-a closeup of the steelwork.

Vince Lee

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/AllenTownPass_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:53am by vincejlee » Logged
carajul
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #510 on: Apr 12th, 2011, 2:39am »

I traced the Barber branch row today on live maps. Amazing that all this industry is GONE. Except for Trexel there is nothing left. All those factories that once dotted the RR are gone. Except for Trexel and the headstone place at Hamilton St nothing is left. Even if the RR was there today there would be nothing to serve.

CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #511 on: Jun 17th, 2011, 3:13pm »

How did LVRR passenger trains approach the Hamilton St. station from the East and leave to the North?  (to and from the LVRR main)  Same question on the  CNJ to their Hamilton St station (approache/s from East, and back to main going North or to Reading Lines to Harrisburg?

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #512 on: Jun 19th, 2011, 11:49pm »

The American Parkway wasn't there.  The CNJ and the LV were.

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #513 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 2:55pm »

Carter B
There was something called the "Jordan Loop" which left the LV main at Basin Street, went past the LV Allentown Passenger station, under the Linden Street bridge, and then split off and went under the Tighlman Street bridge to reconnect at the LV main at a place called "Gap Junction", which was around where the Lehigh Structual Steel plant is.  After going under the Linden Street bridge, the West End Branch and the Jordan Loop split off, the WEB going on up Sumner Avenue.  So, I guess you could say that for a short section the WEB and Jordan Look were one in the same tracks.

If you go to page 2 of this Forum, there is a thread called LV Trackage/Allentown PA Station, which has a lot of info about tracks in and around the LV Allentown passenger station.

Hope this helps  If you need more info, there are many experts on this forum who can help.

davidyur

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #514 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 4:35pm »

Carter: Your question surprises me a bit being that I posted a rather detailed map of the area back on page 1 (attached to the first post) and also later in this forum.  If you look at this map and read what I wrote about the various color-enhanced lines, I think your questions will be answered.  -- Mark

CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #515 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 4:38pm »

Mark and David,
Thanks for the clarifications and the map references.  It all makes sense now that I see the track layouts for the Main and Jordan Loops vis a vis the CNJ station and approaches.  East Penn and the Gap must have been a railfan's paradise ..back in the day.

centercab
Historian

« Reply #516 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 9:17pm »

on Nov 29th, 2010, 10:38pm, valleyfan628 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hummel Warehouse #2 again. Most likely 1969-70. I remember taking this but no date on the frame. How unusual it was so see a wooden OB car on the line.

HI, The o/b boxcar belonged to the Wellsville Addison&Galeton RR based in Galeton, Pa. which has been gone for about 40 years or so. The boxcars were I think bought from the Boston&Maine in the early 1960's. The WA&G had a sizeable fleet of these old cars and eventually they were banned from use due to age and safety issues. I remember seeing a long train of the boxcars being hauled to interchange with Penn Central for forwarding to a scrap company.

Love that Solyndra!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #517 on: Jul 25th, 2011, 2:16pm »

From what I know about the line is that it is a 1 man operation. This is done with the use of a remote, so its very possible the engineer/conductor was running the remote from the cab of the lead unit. The coil car is simply used as a buffer for hazmat loads.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #518 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 12:21am »

It's been over 6 months since anything was posted on this thread which I started in late 2010.  When I decided to share most of my collection online, it was with the hope that others who photographed the branchlines in and around Allentown would also share their photos, being that the great majority of the subjects I and others photographed a number of years ago no longer exist and viewing such images is the only way to let today's generation look back in time and see what a important role railroads played in the development of the greater Lehigh Valley area.  Unfortunately, my expectations were never realized, for very few of those older fans who captured such action on film came forth and posted what they have in their collections.
Now for the good news... my friend and former high school teacher, Dave Beazley, recently began viewing this thread and, as a result, dug out a few more slides he had taken back in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  While there are no trains visible on any of the following slides he has loaned me, each of the subjects ties in to things which I previously posted on this site.  I hope you younger fans enjoy the following glimpses into the past, and if any of you older fans reading this have things in your collections which you weren't willing to share before... how about following Dave's lead and post them now.  Let's breathe new life into this forum.  After all, with over 16,600 hits to date, there must be a lot of people interested in this subject.  If you don't have the ability to post, I'll be happy to do it for you.  Give me a call, I'm in the book.  -- Mark Rabenold, Allentown

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00002_890x593_1.jpg - 75304 Bytes
« Reply #519 on: Jan 31st, 2012, 12:51am »

Back on page 15, I posted a slide I'd taken of the CNJ's Allentown freight station... once located on the southeast corner of Race and Linden Sts.  I lamented the fact that my shot only showed part of the truck loading dock and didn't capture the railroad side of things.  Fortunately Dave photographed the building from two angles I didn't get.  Here's a shot looking southwest along Linden St, just east of Race St.  Dave was standing about where American Parkway runs today.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00002_890x593_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2012, 12:56am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »