Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 1:41am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42107 times)
vincejlee
TRAINing
Re: Allentown branchlines

« Reply #460 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 2:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Allentown fans:

I have been reading all the posts in this thread with great interest. At the West Island model railroad club (www.wimrrc.com) we are planning an Allentown scene, including the LV passenger station on Hamilton St., and the Linden St freight station. The two photos of the freight station posted earlier, as well as the Sanborn maps are very helpful. I'm looking for any other information on the freight station anyone can share, or point me towards, specifically details of the Race St side of the building, and the door side against the tracks, which is obscured in the photo here.

Thanks.

Vince Lee

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_763x509-23.jpg - 76651 Bytes
« Reply #461 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 12:23am »

Hello Vince.  Glad to have you following this forum.  Unfortunately, I can't help you with other pictures of the Linden St. freight station.  I realized as I was posting the pictures of the Jordan Loop and Linden St. yard that I had no slides containing good views of either the east, west or north sides of that structure, nor do I have any memories of what they were like.  Don't know why I shot the CNJ's freight station at Race and Linden, yet never turned around to shoot the Valley's.  Maybe someone else reading this will have a picture or at least a detailed description they can give you.  (Gif: Did you have any other shots you took which showed it more clearly... before the fire, that is?)
So I'm not leaving you empty handed, here's a slide from the Charles Houser collection which I purchased showing the Lehigh Valley's passenger station at 4th & Hamilton Sts. as it looked on 03/04/1962.  This was one of the better views I've seen of the station standing alone.  Hopefully this view from trackside will help your club with their modeling endeavors.  Good luck!   --Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_763x509-23.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-ATR-6901003_859x596.jpg - 57068 Bytes
« Reply #462 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 3:37pm »

First, Thanks Mike/one87th for reposting your pictures on this forum. They are a great addition.

As far as pictures of the Linden St station, unfortunately I didn't take any of the station directly either. I would see the station on almost a weekly basis as I would always ask my dad to drive home that way after church. (Zion's on Hamilton, down to Race St and back up Linden)  
Back on page 15, Mark posted one of his from the Houser collection and also one of mine that has it in the background showing the south west end of the building. Here is another of mine that I found showing a portion of the north west end.
...Gif

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-ATR-6901003_859x596.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2011, 3:52pm by valleyfan628 » Logged
vincejlee
TRAINing

« Reply #463 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 5:46pm »

Mark & Gif:

Thanks for the photos.
The freight house photo actually tells me a lot about the style of windows and doors used there, and the overall style of the long open platform that is marked on the Sanborn map. The model I eventually build will be considerably condensed to fit in our space.

Mark is right that he posted about the best photo of the overall building available. What a weird looking set of conical roof vents (?)!

Thanks again.

Vince Lee

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #464 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 6:35pm »

Just a heads-up to anyone interested: I've started a short forum on the Reading's Topton-Kutztown branch.  Look under Fallen Flags / Reading Railroad.  -- Mark

100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #465 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 12:16am »

Acme Fast freight,which,I believe was a subsidiary co. of LVRR forwarded all the lcl freight to local merchants.
I recall seeing 3-4 trucks backed up to race street loading docks.
Trucks bty were bright red.

The photo of tank car at Gulf oil terminal,reminded me there were other Oil Co. terminals,to wit;Atlantic oil had terminal at 3rd & sumner serviced by web there also was Tidal flying A in E.Allentown serviced by L&NE.
Penna. independent Oil  at 12th and Liberty recieved tank cars on web.
I am sure products delivered were Kerosene and fuel oil,bulk lube oil was also delivered.

19copythree
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #466 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 12:09pm »

Does anybody know whose factory whistle was heard throughout Allentown during the 50's and 60's? Blew for beginning of work shift (7:00am?), noon, and end of day. Was in the Little Lehigh vicinity, I believe.
Traylor, perhaps?
 My Grandparents lived on Hamilton St, and we used to visit from New York by LVRR or CNJ.    
Thanks, Jim M.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 9:40am by 19copythree » Logged
Jeremy_Zella
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #467 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 1:07pm »

Does anyone know what industries the LV served along it mainline in Allentown?  Specifically around Walnut/Union/Front Streets?

Jeremy

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #468 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 2:49pm »

100lbrail: Thanks for those additional bits of info regarding LV freight deliveries out of the Linden St. yard and the other oil dealers in the area who received product via rail.  Still anxiously awaiting those additional WEB pictures you've promised.

19copythree: I was born in 1955, so I was either too young to remember the factory whistles of which you spoke or just never paid much attention to them.  My guess would be you were hearing whistles from the Mack Trucks plant, most likely the one which sat slightly above Traylor along S. 10th St.  If anyone knows otherwise, please advise.

Jeremy_Zella: Let me direct you to the East Penn Drill forum I started under Conrail.  You'll be able to find Sanborn maps, a track blueprint and many photos showing the stretch of "old main" you're talking about... though the pictures were from post-LV days.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 3:11pm by A-townbranchfan » Logged
CAS_LVRR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #469 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 4:35pm »

Well Jeremy that section had plenty of industrial sidings.   I'll start at Hamilton St. and work east.

Swift & Co.   Allentown Cable & Machine Co.
Bradley Pulverizing     Arrow Carrier
Penna Crusher      American Coal Co.
W. Rockwell Co.     W F Mosser Industries
LVRR Engine Facilities and the Coal Trestle plus 7 service tracks.

I don't know the exact date/time of theses industries coming on-line.

West of Hamilton St. and you have about 20 industries within a 1.5 mile stretch of ROW.  If you need them let me know.

19copythree
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #470 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 4:42pm »

Thanks, A-town...I was born in '53. G'parents lived at 10th & Hamilton, and when that whistle blew, the air turned blue and you could feel it in your gut. Probably was from Mack (or Traylor). Remember it well into the 60's after which family moved away.   Jim M.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 4:44pm by 19copythree » Logged
gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #471 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 5:47pm »

Since you broached the subject, does anyone have any photos of the Neuweiler Brewery or A&B Meats?

I believe these would be model worthy.

DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #472 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 6:20pm »

To 19copythree:  Mack Trucks had a loud whistle that sounded at 7:55AM, 8 AM (starting time), 11:55 AM, 12 noon (lunch), 12:25 PM, 12:30 PM (get back to work), 4:25 PM and 4:30 (quitting time). They also sounded the whistle whenever there was a fire in the plant. The whistle was extremely loud and could be heard throughout the south side of Allentown. The 12:00 and 4:30 whistles were a signal for the neighboorhood kids to start heading home for lunch or supper. Traylor also had a whistle that sounded at 5:00 PM but it was not nearly as loud.  

Dave

Dave-39
19copythree
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #473 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 7:28pm »

Thanks, Dave!...that must be it...the times sound familiar now that you mention them. Any idea when the practice ended or what might have happened to the whistle itself?  
Jim M.

DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #474 on: Feb 13th, 2011, 6:49pm »

To 19copythree - I can't provide a definite answer to your questions. Mack closed their 5C assembly plant on S. 12th St. and moved that plant to Winnsboro, SC in 1987. I believe the plant on S. 10th St. was closed a few years earlier. I do not remember if they used the whistle into the early 80's or not. The whistle was located at the boiler house on the west side of S. 10th St (where the twin smokestacks were). Although most of the buildings in the Mack complex still remain, the boiler house with its twin smokestacks has been raised.  

Dave

Dave-39
19copythree
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #475 on: Feb 13th, 2011, 8:56pm »

Thanks again, Dave. Will have to do some archeology as soon as the weather breaks. Jim M.

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #476 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 11:03am »

For those interested, I've just completed posting about two-dozen pictures from the 1980s taken along the Catsauqua & Fogelsville branch, just outside of the Allentown, PA area.  The line was operated by the Reading Railroad until Conrail's birth in 1976, so the forum can be found under Fallen Flags / Reading RR... even though all of my pictures feature CR engines.  Hope you enjoy it!  --Mark

CAS_LVRR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #477 on: Feb 25th, 2011, 12:39pm »

Vince,

Several years ago there was a two-volume set of books all about the development of Allentown.  In the books were erial views of the freight station.   One unique feature was the words  LEHIGH VALLEY  
                RAILROAD  
 painted on the roof (on the west side roof).  And talk about freight cars.  I counted nearly 100 freight cars parked there, or in the general area.  It truly must have been a busy place.

CAS

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #478 on: Feb 25th, 2011, 2:31pm »

CAS_LVRR: Thanks for your input.  I have those books and remember years ago spotting just what you talked about.  And today, if R.J.Corman has a half-dozen cars in that little yard... that's a lot!
Times change guys... especially when it comes to branchlines and industrial sidings.  Why not spend less time along those well-ballasted mains and more time along the remaining weed-covered, rusting rails which still see occasional service.  You may end up with fewer pictures in a day, but you'll be glad you documented those little-used lines in future years once they're gone for good.  Trust me (and the countless other older fans who kick ourselves regularly)... many of those lesser used lines WON'T "always be there".   --Mark

DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #479 on: Feb 25th, 2011, 4:59pm »

To CAS_LVRR: You just jogged my memory. I forgot to previously mention the two volume set of books on the development of Allentown as a source of information on the West End and Barber Quarry Branches. In "Allentown 1762-1987- A 225 year History", Volume 2, by Mahlon Hellerich (editor)there are seven excellent aerial photographs of Allentown taken in August 1925. While the actual sites appear very small ( you will need a magnifying glass), and you have to know where to look, the aerial photographs give you an idea to the volume of industry on the branches.  

Pages 10-11 show the Linden St. yard as well as the yard at Basin St.

Pages 12-13 show the Linden St. yard in closer detail.

Pages 14-15 show the start of the WE branch coming off the Jordan Loop.

Pages 16-17 show the beginning of the BQ track up to the Wire Mill and the South Allentown branch up to the stock yards. It also shows the yard at Basin St., Mack Truck Plant #1 (a LVRR customer), Yeager Furniture as well as the RDG Mack Truck branch.  

Pages 22-23 show the BQ branch track at Mack Truck Plant #1, Yeager Furniture as well as part of the RDG Mack branch.

Pages 30-31 show Mack Truck Plants 2 and 3 as well as Traylor Eng & Mfg Co.

Pages 32-33 show the WE branch along Sumner Ave. Swoyer Brothers brickyard and Trexler Lumber Co.  

This book is a very worthwhile site to look at to get a general overview of the area. I purchased my copies maybe 20 years ago, but I know you can look at copies in the Allentown Free Library or the Lehigh County Hisrtorical Society who was the publisher of the book.  

Dave

Dave-39
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »