Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 6:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42292 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  DSC00017_763x509-7.jpg - 31101 Bytes
« Reply #300 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 5:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Yikes!  Guess I spoke too soon!!  The aftermath of someone's carelessness was caught on film by Gif Sander, as well.  Again, I'll need help from the photographer as to the approximate date.  You're looking north-east from Race St, just north of Linden.  The cinderblock unloading dock (still standing today, though painted in Corman red & white) is visible to the far right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00017_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00014_763x509-7.jpg - 64690 Bytes
« Reply #301 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 5:48pm »

The "new" Allentown freight station office is visible to the left of the front of the LV drill parked along Linden St.  (It's that small, white trailer.  Not quite as impressive as the former structure.)  Dave Latshaw took this shot on the afternoon of 12/15/1976.  Again, no Conrail paint in sight... yet!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00014_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00012_763x509-7.jpg - 65104 Bytes
« Reply #302 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 5:59pm »

August of 1987 hosted some interesting visitors at the Linden St. yard.  On 08/23/1987, I took this shot of former CR hack #18856 (formerly RDG #94057) as it sat waiting to be moved to Allied Hobbies, then located just south of Coplay, slightly east of MacArthur Rd.  The caboose was loaded onto a flatbed truck and moved to a specially-built section of track right next to the hobby shop.  Today, the building is a church and there's no trace of the track nor the caboose.  (More to come in the next two postings about those two 44-tonners sitting in the background.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00012_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00011_763x509-8.jpg - 65707 Bytes
« Reply #303 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 6:06pm »

Also taken on 08/23/1987, this closer view better shows the two U.S. Army Davenport 44-ton switchers (#1217 & #1222) previously pictured.  Again, I know nothing about from where they came or where they were heading, but they remained in the yard for several weeks.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00011_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00013_763x509-6.jpg - 68996 Bytes
« Reply #304 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 6:26pm »

The following day (08/24/1987), I returned to the yard and found the Davenports now sitting on top of the flatcars to which they had been coupled during the previous weeks.  (The yellow boom of the crane which hoisted them onto the flats is visible between the two engines.)

While the sky was blue this day, a large rainstorm moved into the Allentown area just a day or so after I took this picture.  It dumped close to 9 inches of rain in less than 12 hours, causing the nearby Jordan Creek (and many other local waterways) to flood significantly.  The following day during my lunch hour, I walked down to Linden St. to view the yard... having heard about the flooding of the Jordan earlier that morning while at work.  Because I was leaving for a trip to Europe a couple of days later and already had print film in my camera, I left the camera sitting at home that morning.  (I always used slide film for shooting trains and print film for everything else.)  The biggest regret I ever had in my history of railfanning came when I got to the Linden St. bridge and found not only had the water flooded almost the entire yard (including the tracks pictured here), but the East Penn drill had tied up in the yard the night before (along the switching lead just north of the Linden St. bridge).  All wheels of the engine, caboose and several cars were completely covered with rushing water.  I'd never seen anything like it and kicked myself the rest of the day for not having my camera with me.  There were many people standing there looking, and some were shooting pictures.  Sadly, I wasn't one of them!  (By chance, were any of you reading this lucky enough to get a picture that day?)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00013_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00018_763x509-6.jpg - 105284 Bytes
« Reply #305 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 6:35pm »

As I wind down my slide show displayed in this forum, I'll include the first picture I ever took of the R.J.Corman engine in very fresh paint... soon after it appeared in the Allentown area.  On the morning of 09/24/1996, I took this shot in the then weed-covered Linden St. yard... close to the turnout leading to the cinderblock loading dock.  A small part of the "new" Lehigh County prison is visible at the far left, just above the tree line.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00018_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00019_763x509-4.jpg - 62343 Bytes
« Reply #306 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 6:53pm »

I'll end my presentation on this subject with one of the first slides I ever took with my Kodak Pony 828 camera.  Taken in 1969, this LV caboose sat behind the old freight station, just inside the Linden St. yard.  My slide shows the whole caboose, but size 828 slides were larger than 35mm, so my scanner cut a bit off the top, bottom and sides.  

I've thoroughly enjoyed the interaction I've had with those of you who've taken the time to post comments and additional pictures and maps along the way.  As I previously stated, I started this forum with the hope that many older railfans would begin posting things they took along the West End, Barber and former Allentown branch of the L&NE on the east side of town.  What I've found instead is how enjoyable it can be to share things I was lucky enough to capture on film decades ago... as well as relive my memories of those wonderful days during my earlier years.  I'll still check this thread in the weeks ahead with the hope that others will have recently discovered it and may have questions, comments or pictures of their own to post.  In the mean time, I'll begin a new forum with slides of the East Penn Drill (under Fallen Flags / Conrail) in the days or weeks ahead... for those -- like me -- who prefer watching locals more than high-speed, mainline trains.  I again thank all of those friends who've shared their slides and stories with me so that I, in turn, could share them with all of you who have followed this thread. -- Mark Rabenold

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00019_763x509-4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

geep39
Chaser

« Reply #307 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 7:06pm »

That LV freight house was a fire trap!  I was inside it once or twice, and I was wondering how soon that thing would go up.  I had a job when I was working for a trucking company that took me down there to unload a pool car with rolls of wrapping paper for Mary MacIntosh laundries.  I remember that it was a Rio Grande 50' plug door car.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #308 on: Dec 5th, 2010, 7:46pm »

on Dec 5th, 2010, 7:01am, LVRR2095 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I worked for the LVRR....as an engineer. I can't say about other parts of the railroad, but at the Oak Island end of the railroad any switcher was a "pup." Every railroad had their own nickname for the little work horses of the railroad. On the E-L they were called bob tails.  
Keith....now in Maine

OK, I stand corrected. Thanks for letting me know.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #309 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 12:08am »

The remains of fire building in photo was LVRR freight house in summer of 72,I was with Fre Dept then and was on scene.

The photo of CNJ yard at Hamilton St.--- The siding with boxcars was sought by merchants selling goods out of cars and often gave cigars to switching conductor to get their cars spotted there.
At Christmas time I went with my dad to buy our tree from merchant selling trees from boxcar

100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #310 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 12:24am »

I lived in E.Allentown til about 11 yrs old and spent lots of time at LNE yard  in E.Allentown have lots of info if anyones intersted.
 while on a roll also learned much about wire mill in Allentown from old railroaders

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #311 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 9:41am »

My good friend Graham and i often visited the hobby shop in our younger days..Just recently we were discussing the ex Conrail caboose they had there. Though we both could agree it was a "northeastern" style caboose we couldn't remember the number and Unfortunately neither of us had ever thought to take a picture of it. . Once again A-townbranchfan answers a question of mine.. A thousand thanks!!!!!! .  on Dec 5th, 2010, 5:59pm, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
August of 1987 hosted some interesting visitors at the Linden St. yard.  On 08/23/1987, I took this shot of former CR hack #18856 (formerly RDG #94057) as it sat waiting to be moved to Allied Hobbies, then located just south of Coplay, slightly east of MacArthur Rd.  The caboose was loaded onto a flatbed truck and moved to a specially-built section of track right next to the hobby shop.  Today, the building is a church and there's no trace of the track nor the caboose.  (More to come in the next two postings about those two 44-tonners sitting in the background.)

Henry
Historian
  CNJ_Allentown_Linden-Race_1932.jpg - 86866 Bytes
« Reply #312 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 10:46am »

Mark, more great photos to help preserve the late history of Allentown RRs, thanks!

Here are a couple more 1932 Sanborns to help illustrate the areas photographed for those (like me) who aren't intimately familiar with the way things were in Allentown.

First is the CNJ yard and freight house between Linden & Race Streets. The freight platform with canopy shown in one of the shots is at the middle of the photo. I imagine that a number of young boys spent a lot of time watching the action in the yard from backyards and windows in the houses that backed up the yard. I know I would have!

Note what appears to be a classic CNJ turret at the NE corner of the freight house. They had to angle the ends of the sidings to clear it.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/CNJ_Allentown_Linden-Race_1932.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Henry
Historian
  LV_Allentown_LindenStYard-N_1932.jpg - 94836 Bytes
« Reply #313 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 10:49am »

Here's the south end of the LV's Linden Street yard. It's easy to see how Jordan Creek could inundate the yard during a flood. Also visible is CNJ's old passenger station and the west end of the Foundry Street street trackage.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Allentown_LindenStYard-N_1932.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2010, 10:51am by Henry » Logged
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #314 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 1:09pm »

It fascinates me that piggyback operations were carried on at the Linden St. Yard since it's a relatively small area for that type of operation. I like that shot of the SW1500 pulling a cut of loaded 89' piggyback flats up to near the end of track. I imagine they had to make several back and forth moves when handling those long flats in this small area. I think it's a good example of a small terminal, especially if there's someone who wants to model this type of activity but only has a small space on their model railroad. You could choose between LV or CR operations, or even alternate time periods when modeling.

Bryan

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #315 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 2:31pm »

Thanks for the additional input, guys.  And Henry, thanks again for adding those wonderful maps.  Regarding modeling a piggyback facility in such a relatively small space... nobody would believe it to be based on prototype operations!

Just a note, guys.  I've started my East Penn Drill photo forum under Fallen Flags / Conrail / East Penn Drill around Allentown.  Hope many of you local guys (as well as those from outside the area) will follow along and add your input there as well.  -Mark

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #316 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 8:38pm »

on Dec 6th, 2010, 2:31pm, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for the additional input, guys.  And Henry, thanks again for adding those wonderful maps.  Regarding modeling a piggyback facility in such a relatively small space... nobody would believe it to be based on prototype operations!

I have seen TOFC transloading done in one other small location (Hammondsport, NY), so I would believe you. It is cool to know it was done somewhere else.  

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2010, 8:51pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #317 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 9:16pm »

Thanks for posting the maps Henry.  
For those of you not familiar with the Allentown area, here is how the jigsaw puzzle of maps fit together:

The 2 tracks on the lower left of the first map above (Post #312) are the two tracks shown on the right center edge of the 2nd map (Post #313).

The map in post #232 would fit slightly above the second map (Post #313).

The map from post #252 would overlap and fit below the second map (Post #313).

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2010, 9:28pm by valleyfan628 » Logged
geep39
Chaser

« Reply #318 on: Dec 7th, 2010, 6:58pm »

That Conrail caboose is an ex-Reading car that went to ADAMS Hobbies in Whitehall.  Seems ol' Jerry Adams thought the Preachin' biz was better than the hobby biz, so he converted the hobby shop to a church, and sold the caboose.  The caboose was sold to a guy named Paul ------ski in Lee, PA--the Westernmost point of the CNJ.  Lee is located between Glen Lyon and Mocanaqua.  He painted it back to Reading red.
''

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #319 on: Dec 7th, 2010, 7:22pm »

on Dec 7th, 2010, 6:58pm, geep39 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That Conrail caboose is an ex-Reading car that went to ADAMS Hobbies in Whitehall.  Seems ol' Jerry Adams thought the Preachin' biz was better than the hobby biz, so he converted the hobby shop to a church, and sold the caboose.  The caboose was sold to a guy named Paul ------ski in Lee, PA--the Westernmost point of the CNJ.  Lee is located between Glen Lyon and Mocanaqua.  He painted it back to Reading red.
''

And the link from Bing maps below shows a birdseye of the cabeese in Lee, PA.

John

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qvs0vn8nsk2z&lvl=19.34576577766861&dir=181.30398689003692&sty=b&where1=Lee%2C%20PA&q=lee%2C%20pa

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »