Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 7:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 42557 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  DSC00009_763x509-9.jpg - 71651 Bytes
« Reply #260 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 1:05am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Another battle with the low, morning sun gave me a so-so exposure on this slide of the E.P. drill at 8:25AM on 04/12/1991, this time shot aiming south from the Linden St. bridge.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00009_763x509-9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00010_763x509-7.jpg - 78871 Bytes
« Reply #261 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 1:12am »

Bob Wilt's 02/02/1977 shot looking down from the south side of the Linden St. bridge shows Ironton #751 at the turnout which (as of this date) was the beginning of the West End branch.  The switch points were thrown to the yard track as the engine began moving north.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00010_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00011_763x509-7.jpg - 99994 Bytes
« Reply #262 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 1:21am »

Tonight's last post shows my 04/09/1990 picture of the E.P. drill passing under the old Linden St. bridge and into the small freight yard at 5:20PM.  As you can see, the WEB was nothing but a memory by this time, though I stood on its former right-of-way to pay it tribute as I took this shot.  

More photos of the Linden St. yard from the 70s, 80s & 90s... next time.    -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00011_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #263 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 6:56am »

Another great set of photos, Mark. Nowadays Corman does transloading in the Linden St. Yard. It makes me curious about CR's activity there in later years. Especially your 4/12/91 photo which shows a nice size train behind a GP38-2 heading into the yard. Did the East Penn Drill just switch out their cars there, or was there a customer(s) in the vicinity I'm not aware of?

Bryan

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00013_508x762.jpg - 79291 Bytes
« Reply #264 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:23am »

Bryan:  Glad you're enjoying the show.  I don't know your age so I'm not sure whether or not you know that into the mid-80s, the Linden St. yard was used as the Lehigh Valley's and Conrail's piggyback facility... before Conrail opened their larger one along the Lehigh River at the bottom of south Bethlehem.  Conrail slightly reconfigured the yard, making more of the tracks able to handle the loading and unloading of flats.  Also, from Valley days, through Conrail and into Corman, the Morning Call newspaper company received boxcars full of newsprint at the cinderblock enclosed unloading ramp on the eastern side of the yard.  Other than that, the yard was used by CR to mostly switch out cars.  There were a few transloadings that took place from time to time, but nothing all that often.  I'll show a good assortment of pictures from the yard in the coming days to give you a feel for how things changed over the years.

This morning's first two photos are from the Houser collection and were taken on 12/30/1973.  In this picture, a double-headed drill pulls into the yard as a fire ravages a Scheftel & Sons warehouse located nearby.  Note the LV caboose behind the engine, as the next photo shows a surprise visitor on the end of the train.  That's the WEB lead track to the lower left.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00013_508x762.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00014_763x509-6.jpg - 54700 Bytes
« Reply #265 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:30am »

This horizontal view gives a better view of the yard and shows the end-of-train caboose being used that day.  The concrete phone booth partly visible in the lower right contained the phone used by crews to call Union St. tower before proceeding south on the Jordan Loop to the Valley main.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00014_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00015_763x509-7.jpg - 127638 Bytes
« Reply #266 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:40am »

This shot of mine from 03/1986 shows a busier yard filled with piggyback trailers.  You can see how the trees have already grown out across the WEB lead track by this time.  The Gordon St. crossing about 1/3 mile north had been removed several years earlier and the remaining West End branch track would be gone in just a few more months.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00015_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00012_763x509-6.jpg - 95072 Bytes
« Reply #267 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 9:49am »

My 03/13/1991 shot of the East Penn drill entering the Linden St. yard shows a yard much less busy after the piggyback traffic had been moved to Bethlehem.  Taken at 8:30AM, this south-western view shows the then "new" Lehigh County Prison at 4th & Linden Sts. still under construction.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00012_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00016_763x509-6.jpg - 104189 Bytes
« Reply #268 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:03am »

One would think a Hazleton drill had taken a wrong turn somewhere when viewing this shot I took at 5:45PM on 06/05/1990.  Seeing 3 pups lashed together in 1990 was a rare find on the East Penn drill.  The view at left shows an old factory sitting along Race St. (still there, but now a dark reddish-brown color) and the former landmark gas tank in the distance.  You're looking south-east from close to the old Jordan Creek trestle.
(I'm finding my new scanner likes to lighten the dark areas of a slide, and -- in return -- tends to over-expose the lighter areas.  Sorry guys... I still need to learn how to fine tune these new toys of mine!)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00016_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00017_763x509-6.jpg - 74822 Bytes
« Reply #269 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:15am »

Today's final post shows a lonely GP-10 sitting along the north side of the yard in this 12/26/1991 shot I took from Linden St, just east of the bridge.  To the right of the engine you can see the remains of the Jordan Loop bridge across the Jordan Creek.  The brick structure partly visible above the bridge is the Rabinowitz and Son Co. building located by the Gordon St. crossing.

I'll continue posting an interesting assortment of photos taken around the Linden St. yard sometime on Sunday.  Until then... have a great weekend!     -- Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00017_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #270 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 1:40pm »

In the late 80's and into the 90's the East Penn local would also do the work on the Reading line as far west as Alburtis In the picture with the 8122 the first 2 cars in the train are probably a flour car for Downyflake and the lumber car for Wicks at Emmaus Jct. After Conrail moved the pig ramp to its new location across from Beth. Fabs the job went on duty at that location switch the new ramp if needed then do the work in the Frt yrd and Reading line. At some point in their day they would run the cars to Allentown and pickup the new frt for the next day and return to the new ramp to tie up. When Conrail still used the Frt Yard at Linden St to load the pig traffic the East Penn local was a  day light and afternoon shift operation with 2nd shift working overtime to setout the loads for TV-61 to pickup at East Penn yard.  Tv-62 would setout the inbound traffic in East Penn yard or shove it up the old Psgr Main to clear East Penn Jct. if the East Penn locals engine was tied up in the Frt yard.

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #271 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 4:59pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:13am, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 I'm only sorry there wasn't someone taking photos of all of these areas back in the 1930s.  But then, who knows... maybe there was and when he died, his collection ended up in the trash.  Sad to think about how many photos and slides taken by fans years ago ended up being destroyed because the family didn't know how many of us would have loved to view or even buy what they'd captured on film.

I have also thought about this. While unfortunately someone's great classic collection may have been knowingly or unknowingly thrown away, at the same time I'm glad there are places like this site where we can get a glimpse into the past and also talk about our favorite lines. Like a few others mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm also one of the younger guys and missed being able to see all the classic RR's by a few years, so discussions like this really help me to imagine what is was like 40 or 50 or more years ago...

Bryan

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #272 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 5:05pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2010, 1:40pm, irn750 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In the late 80's and into the 90's the East Penn local would also do the work on the Reading line as far west as Alburtis In the picture with the 8122 the first 2 cars in the train are probably a flour car for Downyflake and the lumber car for Wicks at Emmaus Jct. After Conrail moved the pig ramp to its new location across from Beth. Fabs the job went on duty at that location switch the new ramp if needed then do the work in the Frt yrd and Reading line. At some point in their day they would run the cars to Allentown and pickup the new frt for the next day and return to the new ramp to tie up. When Conrail still used the Frt Yard at Linden St to load the pig traffic the East Penn local was a  day light and afternoon shift operation with 2nd shift working overtime to setout the loads for TV-61 to pickup at East Penn yard.  Tv-62 would setout the inbound traffic in East Penn yard or shove it up the old Psgr Main to clear East Penn Jct. if the East Penn locals engine was tied up in the Frt yard.

Thanks for the info irn750. By the time I started railfanning, the Linden St. piggyback terminal was no more and they were using the new one at The Ramp by "The Fabs". Now the intermodal work is done by the PBNE over at the former Bethlehem Steel site. How about that? Anyway, I look forward to seeing more pictures when Linden St. was used for piggybacks if possible.

Bryan

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2010, 5:14pm by NS3360 » Logged

100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #273 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:29pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2010, 3:46pm, DAVE-39 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
David Yur- Looking at Henry's Sandborn map of the area around the Union St. Tower in 1932, in the lower right hand corner by the words "Little Lehigh", you can see a single siding curving to the right. Above the siding in faint letters you can see the words, "Full of Tracks". This is probably the location of the yard you were talking about at the entrance to the BQ branch. I believe the yard consisted of all stub end sidings, and was used more for storage of BQ branch cars as opposed to an active switching yard. I know the yard was still in use in 1926, however I do not know when they stopped using it. It still showed on track maps in 1943. My recollection of the area is the same as yours; lots of buried ties, but no rail.
Dave L.

Hi I am new member,and thought I was only one besides DL who was intersted in branchlines.
Anyway the stub tracks at beginning of bq were as told to me was used to hold emptys for AS&W wire mill as most shipments handled by LVRR were outbounds.
Wire mill closed in 1943 and tracks likely no longer needed.
there also were 2or 3 stub end tracks between BQ main and S.Allentown branch just before bridge over little lehigh.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #274 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 5:49pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:03am, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One would think a Hazleton drill had taken a wrong turn somewhere when viewing this shot I took at 5:45PM on 06/05/1990.  Seeing 3 pups lashed together in 1990 was a rare find on the East Penn drill.  The view at left shows an old factory sitting along Race St. (still there, but now a dark reddish-brown color) and the former landmark gas tank in the distance.  You're looking south-east from close to the old Jordan Creek trestle.

I hate to nitpick when you are doing a truly GREAT JOB by posting the pictures you're sharing with the rest of us, but those switchers aren't pups. As I understand the terminology, the term "pup" refers to the MU-able SW8s which LV used at Hazleton. The switchers in your shot each have 2 exhaust stacks, so they couldn't be SW8s aka pups.  

At any rate, it's just a minor correction. I absolutely love what you're doing in this thread and look forward to seeing more of them when your time permits.  

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2010, 5:51pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Schneider-69003_859x596.jpg - 42028 Bytes
« Reply #275 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 7:33pm »

For the questions regarding the old black crane at Schneiders, I do remember it  being up in there under the 7th St, bridge. I do recall going up in and iinvestigating it unfortunately I never shot a picture of it. I did however locate a slide from spring of 69 with it in the background.

Update: looking at previous posts I guess I posted a similar one previously that also shows the black crane in the background.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Schneider-69003_859x596.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2010, 10:16pm by valleyfan628 » Logged
valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Schneider-69black.jpg - 27105 Bytes
« Reply #276 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 7:42pm »

Here is an enlarged section of the previous slide. If you look closely above the boom, you can also see what was left of the the clearance tell-tale.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Schneider-69black.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-UCS-70001_661x459-2_595x413.jpg - 29936 Bytes
« Reply #277 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 10:32pm »

Since we're talking cranes, here is the one used to load cars at United Compressed Steel at 12th and Sumner, winter 1970

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-UCS-70001_661x459-2_595x413.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #278 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 11:25pm »

I am curious about the big fire in one of the photos!

100lbrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #279 on: Dec 4th, 2010, 11:48pm »

on Dec 4th, 2010, 5:49pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I hate to nitpick when you are doing a truly GREAT JOB by posting the pictures you're sharing with the rest of us, but those switchers aren't pups. As I understand the terminology, the term "pup" refers to the MU-able SW8s which LV used at Hazleton. The switchers in your shot each have 2 exhaust stacks, so they couldn't be SW8s aka pups.  

At any rate, it's just a minor correction. I absolutely love what you're doing in this thread and look forward to seeing more of them when your time permits.  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »