Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 6:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 41847 times)
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Allentown branchlines
  DSC00007_763x509-7.jpg - 86707 Bytes
« Reply #220 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:34am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Another favorite of mine, this 03/22/1989 shot shows the East Penn drill sitting in the middle of the auto salvage yard located just east of the Lehigh St. crossing.  The train was on a westbound move to Traylor shortly after noon to deliver an emply flatcar.  As it reached this location, the crew discovered the track covered with thick mud.  They called over some employees of the salvage company and made them shovel the mud off of the rails.  Soon after this shot was taken, the crew decided it would take a while before the track would be cleared well enough to proceed west, so they began backing up in order to return to the Jordan Loop and continue back into the Linden St. yard.  Shortly after crossing the Jordan creek trestle, the GP derailed one of its trucks.  I wasn't able to stick around to see what happened (again on my lunch hour), but I'm sure the crew spent time second-guessing their decision to reverse direction that day.  This shot is a perfect example of why I love shooting movements along branches.  Where else could you find a GP moving along a main track which looks more like a little-used industrial siding and having to stop because of thick mud on the rails?  I love this stuff!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00007_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00008_763x509-7.jpg - 54243 Bytes
« Reply #221 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:42am »

Following are two Dave Latshaw photos taken by the Lehigh St. crossing.

This picture, taken on 10/10/1976, shows a west-bound drill crossing Lehigh St. with a car for Linde.  The view is looking north, north-east.  Dave's camera was slightly askew when he took this shot.  There is not a steep downward grade at this location.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00008_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00009_763x509-7.jpg - 37076 Bytes
« Reply #222 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:51am »

On 02/20/1982, CR SW-9 -- still in EL paint -- spent the weekend idling away just west of the Lehigh St. crossing.  Have to assume the crew outlawed on Friday evening and left the engine sit there until Monday morning.  That's the massive 8th St. bridge sitting off in the distance.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00009_763x509-7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00010_763x509-6.jpg - 62083 Bytes
« Reply #223 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 11:04am »

During my lunch hour on 05/14/1990, I spoke with East Penn Drill engineer, George Zellers, age 61 at that time.  This was the day the EPD was awaiting the arrival of Conrail's track crew to spike down a loose rail over which they had derailed during their outbound run to Traylor earlier that morning.  George had seen me follow and photograph the EPD for many months, but this was the first time we'd spoken.  When I told him of my earlier travels with the West End branch crew and that I'd photographed LV engineer Harold Barwick back around 1970 just a few blocks east of where we were, George agreed to pose for me with his train as it sat just east of the 8th St. bridge at 12:50PM.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00010_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00011_763x509-6.jpg - 83271 Bytes
« Reply #224 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 11:27am »

On 04/17/1988 at 5:10PM, I shot the eastbound East Penn Drill's SW1500 #9534 as it ran light toward the 8th St. bridge underpass, just west of the S. 10th St. crossing.  The remains of the turnout which once led to long siding where Traylor often stored its empty flatcars is visible to the right of the engine.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00011_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00012_763x509-5.jpg - 58647 Bytes
« Reply #225 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 11:36am »

Standing at the bottom of the S. 10th St. hill, I shot the East Penn Drill as it moved east through the grade crossing.  This 04/12/1989 picture looks north and includes the PP&L building located at 9th & Hamilton Sts.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00012_763x509-5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00013_763x509-5.jpg - 97633 Bytes
« Reply #226 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 11:43am »

Almost exactly two years prior to the previous picture, the EPD was heading out of Traylor with another special load.  This 04/14/1987 shot looks west from the S. 10th St. crossing at 12:40PM.  For some reason, April seemed to be a good month for catching action along the Barber branch during the late 1980s.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00013_763x509-5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00014_763x509-5.jpg - 94705 Bytes
« Reply #227 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 12:01pm »

Here's another picture I took of that special high & wide movement I witnessed out of Traylor on one of the days I was riding with the morning crew.  I just discovered the date of this slide was 11/04/1969.  Pictured left to right are LeRoy, Eddie, Harold and Bill.  I clearly remember this day, being that railroad officials were riding along in the engine and I was sentenced to a ride in the caboose.  As we crossed the pony-truss bridge over the Little Lehigh, the train moved at about 2 MPH due to a very tight clearance between the load and the north side of the bridge.  The end result was a long, shallow scrape in the paint along the far side of the ball mill, but nothing other than cosmetic damage was done.  The turnout in the foreground was the western end of the long holding siding previously pictured next to the Traylor facility.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00014_763x509-5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00015_763x509-6.jpg - 84313 Bytes
« Reply #228 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 12:11pm »

And for my last Barber branch posting, another picture from the morning of 04/30/1988 showing a special PB&NE visitor at Traylor.  You're looking east with the 8th St. bridge standing off in the distance.

Once again I hope you've enjoyed these additional posting and ask that anyone interested in the Barber or West End branches (or the former Allentown branch of the L&NE on the east side of Allentown) feel free to post questions, comments or pictures from their own collections.  Hopefully we can keep this forum active and interesting in the weeks and months ahead.  Thanks to you all!

--Mark Rabenold

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00015_763x509-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #229 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 12:58pm »

Just curious, when steam was still used, what type of steam engines would have been assigned to this branch (i'm sure there are no pictures of this).  

Also, I believe someone posted that the engines used on the WEB were stored either at the Linden Street yard or at the yard located near the Orange Car, where the track weighing platform was.  Curious about that yard, as I have seen pictures from the 30's and 40's of many engines in the yard behind the Orange Car, and I remember seeing a coal trestle over a coal company's bins in that location, perhaps 10 or so years ago, now gone.  Any pictures of that yard?

If the engines were stord at Linden St. it would be an easy trip onto the WEB, but if they were stored at the yard behind the Orange Car, it would have been a more difficult maneuver to get them onto the WEB.

Also, in exploring around the area some years ago, it appears that there may have been a small yard to the left of where the WEB left the main.  Years ago I found remains of ties that looked like they were branches to a small yard, and an old luggage wagon there with LV still on it, but it disappeared quickly.

Thanks for any info,
davidyur

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_763x509-12.jpg - 61072 Bytes
« Reply #230 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:37pm »

davidyur: I'm fairly certain somewhere earlier in this thread I talked about the steam power used on the branches.  Per Dave Latshaw's research, they were mostly old Camelbacks.  And, yes, a picture exists.  In Dave's article on the WEB, there is a photo of a steam engine at 13th & Scott Sts... though the printer reversed the image when printing it.

Here's a picture of the small "yard" over near the Orange Car, though I don't remember where I got this or who photographed it... possibly Dave Latshaw.  It was dated 05/20/1971 and is looking south, south-west from near Union St.  The coal trestle is visible to the left side of the SW-1.  The scale track ran off to the right side of the photo.  If darktown2 is still following this forum, he could give you better information than I regarding operations, but to get to the WEB from this location wasn't difficult.  The train would back down to the switch for the former Jordan Loop, then proceed north across S. 3rd St. and past the old station by Hamilton St, then under the Linden St. bridge and onto the WEB.

The area to the west of the beginning stretch of the WEB (if you're talking south of Gordon St.) was never a "yard" as far as I know, but possibly contained a coal siding at one time many years back.   --Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_763x509-12.jpg
Click Image to Resize

DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #231 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 3:19pm »

From the 1930's to 1949, the 3176-3210 series 0-8-0 switchers were used on the BQ and WEB. George Seip's timebook indicates between March 1949 and June 1949 the following steam locomotives were used on the BQ branch (3178, 3187, 3198, 3202, 3204, and 3205). On Saturday June 11, 1949, locomotive 3198 made the last steam run on the BQ branch. On Monday morning June 13th, George was assigned new diesel switcher 182.  

I am not aware of any yard at the entrance to the WEB, but there was a small yard near S. 3rd St. that was at the entrance to the BQ branch. I never saw this yard used, but the ties were buried in the ground into the late 50's or early 60's.

Dave Latshaw

Dave-39
Henry
Historian
  SofGordonStAllentownSanborn.jpg - 132604 Bytes
« Reply #232 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 6:06pm »

Is this the area south of Gordon St you were thinking of? This is from a 1932 Sanborn map.  

The words next to the dotted two track area are "CONCRETE TRESTLE" and the label in the building just above and to the right of it at the end of the spur is "PASSENGER STATION."

I'm not all that familiar with the Allentown area so I have been following along using Google Earth, USGS maps and Sanborn maps to get a feel for the line. So much has changed that the historic maps are a must to figure out where things were.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/SofGordonStAllentownSanborn.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010, 6:10pm by Henry » Logged
DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #233 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 7:03pm »

Since David Yur asked a question about steam on the branches, I have a few recollections of steam on the BQ Branch.
On a Saturday afternoon (1946-1947) I was on the Greenwood Cemetery with my grandparents when I heard a locomotive whistle blow. I ran to the southern edge of the cemetery, where Turner St. is now (both Turner St. and the Allentown School District stadium were not built yet), looked over the hill and saw the BQ steam switcher running backward pulling a single box car along Union Terrace. The train crossed Walnut St., then Hamilton St., stopped and pushed the box car into the siding at 20th and Hamilton. The locomotive then returned back along Union Terrace. I still remember standing on that hill looking down and seeing branchline railroading going on. I often saw the steam powered Black Diamond come into the Allentown station but 20th and Hamilton was a strange place to see a steam engine. From the hill it was like watching a current N-gauge model railroad.  

On another occasion I remember walking across the west side of the 8th St. bridge and seeing a steam switcher with caboose and cars moving eastward. I crossed to the east side of the bridge and watched as the BQ train crossed Lehigh St, passed through the abandoned Wire Mill buildings and followed it as it moved off in the distance toward the Allentown Terminal Crossing.  

I remember steam trains crossing S. 10 th St. where I lived, but the most times I saw the BQ steam train was from the 8th St. bridge. The crew usually stopped the train between Lehigh St and the 8th St. bridge and then went to lunch. I often took the 12:30 Fairview trolley to 8th and Hamilton and when the trolley crossed the bridge I could see the train underneath the bridge.  
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera, but it certainly left wonderful lifetime memories.  

Dave

Dave-39
A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00007_763x509-8.jpg - 76826 Bytes
« Reply #234 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 9:00am »

This is why I truly enjoy input from others... it helps answer a lot of unanswered questions and helps to clarify things which may be a bit cloudy.  To those who've been following this forum, Dave-39 is David Latshaw... the man who not only took many of these photos, but did an amazing amount of research along both branchlines in order to write his informative articles for the Lehigh County Historical Society.  So nice to have you as part of the discussion, Dave!  By the way, do you have any memory or knowledge of that second "mystery crane" sitting under the 7th St. bridge (in front of the yellow Brownhoist) in Gif Sander's posting from two days ago?  I have a hazy memory of it being a black, fairly large crane which may have been dead... though I tend to remember seeing two working cranes for a brief time at Schneider's back in the mid-60s.  I'm really not clear on this and was wondering if you (or you, Gif) remember things more clearly than I?

Henry: Thank you VERY much for posting that wonderful Sanborn map showing the Linden St. yard area (now R.J. Corman's facility) back in the 1930s!  I wasn't familiar with those maps but they look very detailed and showed me things I never knew were there.  My how things had changed by 1970!  Is access to these maps free and are they available for all areas in Allentown where the West End and Barber branches ran?  I'd love to take a look at how things were along both lines so many years ago.  Since you were kind enough to post this map showing the area davidyur asked about, I'll post 3 more photos local railfan, Bob Wilt, shot of the Ironton Baldwin on this part of the former Jordan Loop / West End branch.   Again... thanks for adding that wonderful map to this thread!    -- Mark

In this first shot from 02/02/1977, a Conrail hack and Southern boxcar sit on the WEB lead while Ironton Baldwin #751 picks up a gondola from the short runaround track in the Linden St. yard.  The view is looking north-east from the Linden St. bridge.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00007_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00008_763x509-8.jpg - 55954 Bytes
« Reply #235 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 9:14am »

About a month earlier on 12/29/1976, Bob got this shot of #751 heading inbound (south) with its short train along the last quarter mile of WEB track, just south of the gated Gordon St. crossing.  If you look through the trees to the right of the engine, you can see the old Horlacher Beer brewery building which was once serviced by the CNJ on track which ran where the American Pkwy. now runs.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00008_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00009_763x509-8.jpg - 70732 Bytes
« Reply #236 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 9:41am »

Back to 02/02/1977 and a bit farther north from where the previous posting was shot, Bob captured one of the Gordon St. gates in this great picture next to the Rabinowitz & Sons Co. building on the north side of Gordon St.  Seeing the gate in the open position as the train approaches the crossing takes me back to September of 1969.  During an engine ride on my 14th birthday, engineer Harold Barwick stopped the train under the Tilghman St. bridge during our inbound run and invited me over to where he sat.  He gave me a crash course on how to operate the SW, then stood up, smiled and said "Happy Birthday!"  He moved out from behind the controls and moved me into position.  I slowly opened the throttle and we began moving.  I couldn't believe that I was in control of the West End drill... something I had dreamed about for about as long as I could remember.  Harold told me to go no faster than the 3rd notch (probably about 5mph) and as we got closer to the Gordon St. crossing, I turned on the bell.  It was in the very stretch pictured here that he warned me they were having problems with the gates so I should stay alert.  He relaxed a bit as he saw the gates drop into position.  I began blowing the horn for our crossing when, suddenly, the gates began to open.  Harold quickly moved back into position, shutting down the throttle and applying the brakes... just as the gates dropped back into closed position.  Though he had planned on having me run the train all the way down to Linden St, my engineer experience was cut short that day due to rusty rails and malfunctioning crossing gates... something which obviously was still affecting the Gordon St. crossing when Bob took his picture some 7 1/2 years later!  In spite of my shortened run, my buddy, Harold Barwick, left me with an experience I'll never forget!     --Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00009_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Henry
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 1:01pm »

on Dec 1st, 2010, 9:00am, A-townbranchfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Henry: Thank you VERY much for posting that wonderful Sanborn map showing the Linden St. yard area (now R.J. Corman's facility) back in the 1930s!  I wasn't familiar with those maps but they look very detailed and showed me things I never knew were there.  My how things had changed by 1970!  Is access to these maps free and are they available for all areas in Allentown where the West End and Barber branches ran?  I'd love to take a look at how things were along both lines so many years ago.  Since you were kind enough to post this map showing the area davidyur asked about, I'll post 3 more photos local railfan, Bob Wilt, shot of the Ironton Baldwin on this part of the former Jordan Loop / West End branch.   Again... thanks for adding that wonderful map to this thread!    -- Mark

Mark,

Online Sanborns are only available via subscription, via some library systems for library card holders and at some universities if you are a student or faculty member. They are copyrighted, but I don't mind posting smaller pieces of them for educational, discussion and historical purposes. I can post more snippets from Allentown if you have some specific areas of interest. Because they are structure related, not all railroad areas are available. There usually needs to be some kind of insurable building nearby.

Henry

davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #238 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 1:23pm »

I mis-wrote when I referred to a yard where the WEB branch left the mainline.  What I meant was where the BQ branch left the mainline, a little distance from Union St. Tower, and passing Morris Black.  I believe Dave-39 knew the yard I was referring to.

Thanks again for all the pictures/info!
davidyur

DAVE-39
Enthusiast

« Reply #239 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 2:43pm »

Mark - I remember the large black crane underneath the 7th St. bridge on the siding that ran to Koehler Brothers coal yard, but I don't know anything about it. From its large size I might guess that it was an old steam powered crane like they had at Traylor. I also remember what happens when you wore a white T-shirt and stood too close to the steam powered crane at Traylor.

Dave

Dave-39
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »