Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 8:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown branchlines
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Allentown branchlines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown branchlines  (Read 43082 times)
S-12_Dave
Railfan
Re: Allentown branchlines
  cap0070.jpg - 38564 Bytes
« Reply #200 on: Nov 25th, 2010, 6:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for posting those great images.  I am also one who is extremely fond of branch line operations having grown up along the West Pittston Branch. The "flying switch" maneuver was one I witnessed a number of times right at a place called Maltby Junction....where there was the added danger of a busy roadway just past the switch ( Slocum St in Swoyersville ).  The flagman had to protect both the "diverging track" that connected to what was left of the Bowmans Creek Branch...and the primary route... that continued on to Kingston Pa.  The actual switch was around 15 yards from the crossings....so there was quite a bit of space between the two routes by the time they were in the street.  The flagman really had his hands full at this location. He had to position himself between the two tracks in the middle of the road.  When he got traffic to stop clear of both tracks....he signaled the train to make its run for the two crossings...

Watching from the street.... It was almost like watching a well choreographed ballet.  

You would could hear the locomotive start it's run.....horn blaring non stop.  The train had to be moving at a good clip.... so momentum would carry the single boxcar, uncoupled on the fly, all the way past the switch... and the 20 yards or so over the crossing.  From the street, you would watch in amazement as first, the locomotive slammed across the street with it's horn blaring ....and seconds later...a boxcar silently rolling across the street on the far track.   Then the locomotive backs across the street again....down past the switch....and returns on the far track ready to shove the car down the line into a siding at Nelsons Furniture in Kingston.  

The guy's who worked this line were real pro's.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/cap0070.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #201 on: Nov 26th, 2010, 10:51am »

irn750: Glad you enjoyed the tour of these long-gone branchlines, Danny.  Posting the pictures brought back many great memories for me.

DElder- Doug: I appreciate your kind words and am glad to know there are others out there who prefer branchline action over high-speed trains on the mains.  Keep your eye on the Conrail forum over the next couple of weeks.  If I can find the time, I'll post some great local action performed by the East Penn Drill, mostly during the 1980s & 1990s.

F3_4_me- Micah: You're most welcome.  I've enjoyed your input throughout.  I'm only sorry you weren't around to witness first-hand the action I saw on these two great lines.

S-12_Dave: Great description of the flying switch moves you watched growing up along the West Pittston branch.  Thanks for adding your photo to the mix.

-Mark-

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #202 on: Nov 26th, 2010, 1:40pm »

What a topic!!! Over 200 replies in 3 weeks; gotta be a record.  I see what I'm going to be reading this afternoon.

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEBIceCityMR-2_469x676.jpg - 28404 Bytes
« Reply #203 on: Nov 27th, 2010, 7:30pm »

How glad I was to to see all of these A-Town branch photos. Thank you A-townbranchfan. I have also been a long time fan of the West End and Barber branches. I post this one for you, from Spring of 69 at 17th and Liberty when a friend and I were checking out the latest box spotted at Ice City.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEBIceCityMR-2_469x676.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2010, 7:43pm by valleyfan628 » Logged
valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #204 on: Nov 27th, 2010, 8:18pm »

Is the Barber Branch coming back? Back on 11/10/10 the Morning Call ran an article regarding the recently awarded railroad grants:

"In Lehigh County, the Allentown Economic Development Corp. earned $1.4 million to restore an abandoned rail line connecting 80 acres of industrially zoned land near S. 10th Street to an Allentown rail line operated by Kentucky-based rail freight company R.J. Corman."

Does anyone know if this is for part of the LV Barber Branch or the RDG Mack Branch?

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #205 on: Nov 28th, 2010, 10:22am »

To ValleyFan628:  The article to which you refer implies that the Barber branch would be the line placed back into service, being that R.J. Corman operates the remains of the Jordan Loop from which the Barber branch originated.  Also, the Mack Branch's bridge over Lehigh Street (per a previous photo I posted earlier in this forum) was demolished a number of years ago and I doubt the cost of replacing that bridge would be justified for the limited traffic which would be moved along the line at this point in time.  Also, though Corman previously advertised the Barber right-of-way as being for sale, I don't believe they ever sold it.
Regarding the picture you posted: You're either being untruthful about its origin or, more likely, you're my old school buddy, Guifford Sander!  I say that because the person hanging off the end of the car in your picture was me!  Nice to be in touch with you again, Mr. S!  This photo tour wouldn't have been nearly as interesting or complete without all of the wonderful shots you took back in our 6th through 9th grade years.  Thanks again for sharing those wonderful days of local railfanning with me... and, in turn, with everyone who's looked at this thread.  I truly appreciate it!  

michaelmolo
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #206 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 8:34am »

i'm not a train person, but a local blogger interested in allentown history.  how ironic that the AEDC is interested in renewing the Barber branch,  although the manufacture who occupied the old taylor building went out of business, despite a visit from obama.   more interesting, is that the AEDC did not oppose the rail to trail plan for the barber line, just this past summer.    you guys provide a wonderful history of our city, i thank you

BlackDiamondRR
Historian
  J_Harry_Jones_LVM.jpg - 99711 Bytes
« Reply #207 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 2:29pm »

Gents,
   I located my catalog of S scale kits w/J Harry Jones Coal Co. The kit is obviously foreshortened, compressed, detail omitted, etc, but at least it was "based" on a prototype!  
 I had always considered this a fictitious name, at least now I've seen the prototype.
   And for recent poster MichaelMolo.....As an Allentown historian, do you recall the presence of a "coffee pot" diner in the downtown area, maybe a bit west of the main North- South street? I went there once for breakfast back around 1983, but cannot find any info on it. If I recall correctly, it had the shape of a coffee pot complete with a spout. (hope I wasn't imagining things!?!)
    Bud

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/J_Harry_Jones_LVM.jpg
Click Image to Resize

michaelmolo
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #208 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 7:55pm »

bud,  coffee pot sounds familiar,  maybe a diner outside of allentown with just a sign shaped like a coffee pot?   in town,  i knew of no such place.

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Schneider-69001_607x421.jpg - 27703 Bytes
« Reply #209 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 10:09pm »

Mark,  
Thank you again for the time and effort you have taken to post all of these pictures, yours, mine and others. It was by accident that I stumbled across this thread the other day when I was actually searching to see if I could find anything on the resurrection of the old Barber Branch.
Oh how I wish, the same as you, that we would have done a better job of dating all of our slides. My date references come from those on the slide frame, which is a reasonable approximation of the timeframe in which they were taken.
Iím not sure of how many of my collection you copied a few years ago, Iíll post a few fills. Please forgive any duplicates, you have posted so many.
First a couple of the Brownhoist at Schneider in 1969.
...Gif

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Schneider-69001_607x421.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Schneider-69002_708x491.jpg - 28550 Bytes
« Reply #210 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 10:23pm »

Rear view of the Brownhoist at Schneider in 1969.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Schneider-69002_708x491.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-5thSt-71001_563x390.jpg - 26379 Bytes
« Reply #211 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 10:28pm »

From 1971, A car spotted on the siding just east of 5th street And Sumner Ave.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-5thSt-71001_563x390.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Hummel2-71001_601x417.jpg - 27161 Bytes
« Reply #212 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 10:31pm »

Hummel Warehouse #2 at 15th and Sumner Ave 1971. It was always nice to see a car in something other than boxcar red.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Hummel2-71001_601x417.jpg
Click Image to Resize

valleyfan628
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LVWEB-Hummel2-un001_558x387.jpg - 27979 Bytes
« Reply #213 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 10:38pm »

Hummel Warehouse #2 again. Most likely 1969-70. I remember taking this but no date on the frame. How unusual it was so see a wooden OB car on the line.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVWEB-Hummel2-un001_558x387.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00001_763x509-11.jpg - 91124 Bytes
« Reply #214 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:28am »

valleyfan628: So good to have you as part of this forum... being that you took many more WEB photos than I.  Just a few comments regarding your recent postings for those not as familiar with what they are seeing:

Photo 1: The dirt-encrusted turnout shown in front of the crane led to the crossing over Sumner Ave.  Gif was standing on the north side of Sumner looking east toward the 7th St bridge.

Photo 2: Your second shot of the rear of the crane shows a distant crane parked under the 7th St. bridge.  Seeing that sparked a faint memory for me.  I think that was a dead crane which the yellow Brownhoist replaced, but I don't clearly remember whether I'm right about that.  I do, however, tend to think it sat there for quite sometime before it was either removed or scrapped.  Do you, Gif... or does anyone else have a clear memory of what that second crane might have been?

Photo 3: Was taken looking west along old Sumner Avenue by the Allentown Refrigerated Co. warehouse.  The boxcar is actually just west (not east) of 5th St.  The street pictured directly behind the car is the alley between 5th & 6th Sts.

Photos 4 & 5:  Taken at the Hummel Furniture Co. warehouse at 15th & Sumner.  Hummel warehouse "#2" was located at 932-940 Sumner Ave.  It was the former Scheftel warehouse (today used by American Family Services) located at N. New St. & Sumner Ave.  What a great shot of that wood o/b boxcar!  

The only one of those shots I had a copy of was the car spotted on the Allentown Refrigerated Co. siding.  Please feel free to post anything else you have which I haven't already posted.  And since there seems to be interest in the possible re-laying of Barber branch trackage,  here are a couple more shots I took but didn't post earlier... this one from 12/23/2001, taken within a few yards of where the branch began along Union St.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00001_763x509-11.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00002_763x509-9.jpg - 59503 Bytes
« Reply #215 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:38am »

Another shot of GP38-2 beginning its cautious voyage along the first 100 or so feet of the Barber branch on 03/23/1989, about 1:30PM.  The traffic at center left is lined up along S. 3rd St.  You're looking south from just about where the Union St. tower once stood.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00002_763x509-9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00003_763x509-8.jpg - 80418 Bytes
« Reply #216 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:48am »

A light-run of the East Penn Drill's SW-1500 over the Jordan Creek trestle was captured by me on 04/27/1988 at about 5:00PM.  The former blue gas tower (an Allentown landmark for years) is partly visible through the trees in the upper-right corner.   The view is looking north.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00003_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00004_763x509-8.jpg - 73051 Bytes
« Reply #217 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 1:55am »

Dave Latshaw shot an east-bound Ironton Baldwin 751 at the former location of the double-diamond crossing with the CNJ/RDG/Allentown Terminal RR on 09/21/1976.  The front truck of the engine is where the crossing once stood.

That's it for tonight.  More Barber postings to come... and hopefully more WEB shots by my old pal, Gif.    --Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00004_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00005_763x509-8.jpg - 85336 Bytes
« Reply #218 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:10am »

Continuing on with additional Barber branch postings.

On 05/30/1990 at 12:45PM, I shot this picture of the East Penn Drill across the Little Lehigh creek as it was pushing a load west to Traylor.  This was taken looking south, south-east from along M.L.K. Blvd, close to the Parketts Gym.  The two smokestacks in the distance were part of the old Allentown incinerator plant.  Moments after I took this, the train came to a stop.  I walked across the nearby pony-truss bridge (which still stands and used to carry the branch across the Little Lehigh before the tracks were moved to the location shown during the 1970 urban renewal project) with the hope that I could get another picture as the train continued west and through the east side of the auto salvage yard located to the east of Lehigh St.  Unfortunately, I was on my lunch hour and ran out of time.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00005_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

DSC00006_763x509-8.jpg - 114160 Bytes
« Reply #219 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:16am »

This picture, taken about 3 years earlier (04/14/1987) and just west of the former posting, shows the East Penn drill heading east along the Little Lehigh with another special load pulled from Traylor.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSC00006_763x509-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  37 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »