Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Laurys Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Laurys Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Laurys Island  (Read 723 times)
trackone
TRAINing
Laurys Island
  hotel.jpg - 112831 Bytes
« on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 4:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From my collection.  Laurys Station was the stop for Laurys Island amusement park and Hotel Laury. The amusement park operated 1890-1902. It included a small train ride, toboggan ride, merry-go-round and boat ride on the Lehigh River. The Lehigh Valley RR operated excursions from Allentown and Slatington.  
Additional information is welcomed.  
Tom Biery

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/hotel.jpg
Click Image to Resize

davidyur
Railfan
Re: Laurys Island

« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:04am »

Thanks for sharing this interesting info.  I'm from the area (Allentown), and never noticed an island in the area of Laurys.  Was it in the river right off where the Laury's station was located?  Are there any ruins, etc. still standing?  Also, do you have any pictures of the LV Laurys station?  I seem to recall seeing one which showed the 4 track mainline at the point and a signal bridge over all.

Thanks for any info.

trackone
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:01pm »

According to accounts there existed a sand bar in the river more than 100 years ago.  The Lehigh Coal & Navigation people built a dam for their canal creating slack water for river travel. About 1890 the area was developed for recreation.  A search of Google maps for Laurys reveals old foundations. This may be the hotel site.  

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=laurys+,pa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.891082,89.472656&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=40.719603,-75.5261&spn=0.001474,0.002736&z=19

on Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:04am, davidyur wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for sharing this interesting info.  I'm from the area (Allentown), and never noticed an island in the area of Laurys.  Was it in the river right off where the Laury's station was located?  Are there any ruins, etc. still standing?  Also, do you have any pictures of the LV Laurys station?  I seem to recall seeing one which showed the 4 track mainline at the point and a signal bridge over all.

Thanks for any info.

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 5th, 2010, 3:38am »

The foundations in your link are actually the remains of the Mauser Flour mill in Laurys station. A nearby road is called Mauser st. The Amusement park island was further north.  . Here's a link to Bing  maps..this is all that remains of the Island today.     http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qsn3xd8q5hs1&scene=18163740&lvl=2&sty=o  

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2010, 3:53am by IRR » Logged
trackone
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 12:38pm »

Thank you for the excellent  research.  The foundations next to the old dam foundations must be Mauser's Mill in Laurys.  It appears to be a large mill at that.  Do you have any idea where the ice house and icing facilities on the main were located in Laury's ?.  

Tom  

on Jul 5th, 2010, 3:38am, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The foundations in your link are actually the remains of the Mauser Flour mill in Laurys station. A nearby road is called Mauser st. The Amusement park island was further north.  . Here's a link to Bing  maps..this is all that remains of the Island today.     http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qsn3xd8q5hs1&scene=18163740&lvl=2&sty=o  

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 2:47pm »

The area where  the present-day Tim Beil Plumbing building sits on 145 was the site of the former LVRR  passenger station. The Laurys Station Hotel was also located there .No evidence of either of those structures survives to this day (That I know Of)..Chances are that whatever foundation remains might have survived the demolition of the hotel and station were destroyed when the plumbing company erected their building. Across the mainline from the station site are the foundations of the freight house and icing facilities. The island was located downriver from the ice house and station..I was way too far north with my earlier link..There is nothing visible of the island at all today.The nature of sand bars makes them a very temporary thing and it would seem that Laurys Island has completely vanished... (Gotta thank my friend Carrie for helping me  with my research..She was born and raised in Laurys and is my go-to girl for info from that area        )

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010, 4:10pm by IRR » Logged
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Laruys_Station_10-3-38.jpg - 111980 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 3:01pm »

Here's a view from Penn Pilot.com of the Mauser Mill in Laurys Station from 10-3-38. (Across the river on the Northampton side you can see a large number of barges from the Lehigh Canal)... .  This flour mill pre-dates the present Mauser Flour Mill (presently owned by Con Agra) in Treichlers Pa. From what i can tell from this1938 view  the Laurys mill looks abandoned..This flour mill was powered by water going over the dam and in your link you can see what i'm pretty sure is the round cement pit where the grinding stone would haver been

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (111980 bytes, 964x613 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Laruys_Station_10-3-38.jpg - 111980 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010, 4:19pm by IRR » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

DSCF0012.jpg - 196660 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2014, 10:58am »

Well obviously the Laury family had something to do with the Lehigh valley Railroad or it holdings for a locomotive was named David Laury. A E27 class 4-4-0c #5, and one that was used on the opening run off the Black Diamond.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/DSCF0012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2014, 7:46am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TBiery

« Reply #8 on: May 9th, 2014, 1:06pm »

on May 9th, 2014, 10:58am, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well obviously the Laury family had something to do with the Lehigh valley Railroad or it holdings for a locomotive was named David Laury. A E27 class 4-4-0c and one that was used on the opening run off the Black Diamond.
 frank

Mr Laury was active in business, government, political parties, and the oldest Lehigh Valley station agent at that time.  He was honored for his long service with the company.  
TOM

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: May 15th, 2014, 2:25pm »

Well from what I have read besides a locomotive being named after him, A station, a island, a playground on the island, and a hotel. Maybe even a town.
Is there a Town of Laury, that the station is in. He must have been a great station agent.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: May 15th, 2014, 2:43pm »

on May 15th, 2014, 2:25pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well from what I have read besides a locomotive being named after him, A station, a island, a playground on the island, and a hotel. Maybe even a town.
Is there a Town of Laury, that the station is in. He must have been a great station agent.
 frank

I believe Laury's Station is a village within North Whitehall Township.
Keith (the one now in Maine)

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2014, 2:43pm by LVRR2095 » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: May 18th, 2014, 3:06pm »

Here is a online map of Laury's Pa. The lower 1/2 of the town and south.  

Laury's PA, link -  http://ancestortracks.com/Lehigh%20County/Laurys.jpg

Now there is a LVRR station just north and out of sight of what is seen on this map. This I think was the station for the park. People exiting this station would walk directly into the Park. The peninsula of land extending down from above on the map is Laury's island. There is a land bridge making it in reality no longer a island. On the second map can be see the LVRR building I think the station for the park, and all of what was Laury's island and the land bridge. The cove north now is completely closed in by the river, and south cove just closed in creating a pond which I think is empty now. On a modern satellite map like Bing you can see a dark line showing where the water use to be. Now the Laury street on the present maps shows as Mauser St. is the original street shown on all the old maps I have found. This is the street that David Laury's house, store, and Hotel are located as shown on the first map. Anyone going to or from the park, or Hotel just traveled the short distance up or down Mauser St.

It would have been nice is some person in the past kept this information on the amusement park, pamphlets, advertisements, mementos, and keepsakes. The things of a past that are lost lost. You know that many people did. Some of this info is in small and large collections, in historic societies , libraries, museums, and collections in many places. Also it is still in boxes in attics and basements. I wish this info could have been given to the world. So lazy me can just enjoy reading about and seeing how thing were like.  

Link to the second map - http://ancestortracks.com/Lehigh%20County/NorthWhitehall,Siegersville.jpg

This info I found on line, is from a Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, government information site. I thank the people of Lehigh County for access to these historic maps.

Frank

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2014, 8:40am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Passenger_depot_Laurys_Station_Pa._1_Stitch_800x613.jpg - 192753 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2014, 7:59am »

I came across a drawing and some info on a station built at Laury Station by the Lehigh Valley Railroad. A front and a side view with some measurements. I have no info on when this station was built. It was built just south of the mill between the railroad and river. Ruins of the foundation can be seen there today.

In the photo in reply 6 , you can see the station outline. As this photo shows the outline of it is the same as the diagram in reply 12 fig 550 floor plain.  

About the elevation drawings here in reply 12. This is a well built brick building with brick walls 9" thick on a foundation of stone walls 18" thick. It is roofed with slate and built to last a long time.

Fig 548 is the track side view. This elevation drawing is of the track side platform wall.  Left to right is depicted the square bay window of the Agents office  with 2 windows facing the track.  A entrance door to a waiting room used both for the Ladies waiting room, and to access the agents inside ticket sales window. In this room, on the back wall facing the river, to the left is the inside door connecting to the Gentlemen's waiting room, To the right of this door is the door to the Ladies toilet-room. Continuing along the outside wall is a window from the Ladies waiting room, and the baggage freight door for the track facing platform.  

Fig 549 is the side elevation facing the old mill. Left to right is depicted a window from the Gentleman's waiting room, then a door to the waiting room. After this is two windows from the Agents office room. The next and last window seen is set back for it is on the side of platform Agents bay window, giving the Agent a view of the track going westward. Inside the Gentleman's room on the wall to the left when entering, on the rear wall facing the river, are two windows giving a view of the river to those within. On the wall opposite you as you enter this room, on the left end is the door to the Gentleman's Toilet-room, entering this room to the left is a door going to the outside . back to the wall,  on the right is the connecting door to the Ladies waiting room.  

About the wall facing the river of which there is no elevation drawing. On this wall going from the building corner shown to the left in Fig. 549 details along this wall are from right to left. First are the two windows of the Gentleman's waiting room, then the door to the Gentleman's toilet-room. After this the brick  angles away towards the front of the building, (FIG 550 floor plain) at  45 degrees to another two  45 degree turns to the left and right. The left being at this point a rear roof overhanging platform deck for the rear baggage and freight platform. The right  the brick wall making the L shaped offset of the rear of the building mention in the building description.  

With no other elevation drawings of the remaining 2 sides. Little of consequence showing on the floor plain I won't get any deeper in configuring these two remaining walls. The last wall mentioned is seen in the floor plain as having no windows or doors along its length and a rear freight platform ending the building elevation on its rear right corner.

Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Passenger_depot_Laurys_Station_Pa._1_Stitch_800x613.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 7:30am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: May 25th, 2014, 3:24pm »

on Jul 11th, 2010, 3:01pm, IRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's a view from Penn Pilot.com of the Mauser Mill in Laurys Station from 10-3-38. (Across the river on the Northampton side you can see a large number of barges from the Lehigh Canal)... .  This flour mill pre-dates the present Mauser Flour Mill (presently owned by Con Agra) in Treichlers Pa. From what i can tell from this1938 view  the Laurys mill looks abandoned..This flour mill was powered by water going over the dam and in your link you can see what i'm pretty sure is the round cement pit where the grinding stone would haver been

Yes you are completely correct. This mill was originally built as a grist mill by David Laury. That is his brick work showing at that location. The man this section of North Whitehall township is named for.

Now also in this photo maybe is another Laury Station which is still there in 1938. The station I think is that irregular shape building just south of the mill.  
The on line book "Buildings and Structures of America", in the Google library of free E-Books has on page 296 a floor plain that matches that irregular shape with a small room addition to the freight room. Also there two drawings of the structure. Some dimensions are mentioned. You can see them in the previous post.

Frank  

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 7:46am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: May 25th, 2014, 3:31pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:01pm, trackone wrote:       (Click here for original message)
According to accounts there existed a sand bar in the river more than 100 years ago.  The Lehigh Coal & Navigation people built a dam for their canal creating slack water for river travel. About 1890 the area was developed for recreation.  A search of Google maps for Laurys reveals old foundations. This may be the hotel site.  

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=laurys+,pa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.891082,89.472656&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=40.719603,-75.5261&spn=0.001474,0.002736&z=19

On the foundations I see there. I think they are for a Laury Station. Maybe the original was moved across the tracks and down to this location. The outline of this building is the same as the original station with a addition to the freight section.

Frank

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 7:35am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

CNJ_4-4-0c_1.jpg - 189007 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:42pm »

Every few weeks I find something else about Laury Station. Because of it, my opinion on the location of structure must change. It would be great if complete information, but then there would be no search. I found a photo from ground level taken across the tracks of the left end on Laury station looking right down the left side of the station to steps to the porch of Hotel Laury. It with the two other photos aviable gives they building an walkway layout. Measurements between buildings are guesses, and the back and end of the station view nonexistent. This is the original location of the station where one leaving a train can walk directly to the Hotel Laury or go across the tracks to the bridge to Laury's island.  

I would now say that the back of the Hotel faces Mauser St. and is between the post office and the 2 section row house with Laury's store in it. I think that the brick 2 section row house that is there now is the original one Laury built. Also the brick colonial house just past it is Laury's home, and also is still there.  

This link will open the photo. It is not mine. I wound not post it directly.
Link -   http://www.west2k.com/papix/laurys.jpg

Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/CNJ_4-4-0c_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2014, 7:39am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Esgred
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Oct 9th, 2016, 5:09pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2014, 2:42pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I would now say that the back of the Hotel faces Mauser St. and is between the post office and the 2 section row house with Laury's store in it. I think that the brick 2 section row house that is there now is the original one Laury built. Also the brick colonial house just past it is Laury's home, and also is still there.  

Frank

In the first map that you posted earlier from ancestortracks.com, it would seem that there is a small building in between the passenger depot and the hotel.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »