Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 9:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

South Side Industrial and Bushkill Branches
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: South Side Industrial and Bushkill Branches  (Read 1649 times)
JTE1953
TRAINing

« on: Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does anyone know of a source for photos of LV's South Side Industrial and/or Bushkill Branches in Easton, PA.   I have never seen any photos of either branch in any LV book, at swap meets, or anywhere else.  I'm a guilty party myself - grew up a couple blocks from the South Side branch and used to watch the crews drill cars at the various industries.  Did I ever bother taking a camera - NOPE.  Another one of those, "It'll still be there tomorrow".

wis_bang
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: South Side Industrial and Bushkill Branches

« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2009, 9:40pm »

I grew up sneeking into Transogram Toys & walking from Holly St. down thru the old Iron ore pits in Glendon. At that time [late 60's] the line ended in a vacant lot just north of Valley & Line streets across from what was Easton Powdered Metal where the Citizens Hose Co. club is now located.  

You could still follow most of the open space from Reynolds street & through the ballfields to General Analine Film Co. @ Lincoln & Coal Sts. that was the ROW. My father told me how it used to go all the way to GAF when he was a kid. The Cheston School changed the landscape.

Easton Powdered Metal and several Coal tressels were all intact behind Transogram then & there was another line off Holly st. along Industrial avenue serving the old salt mill [warehousing for Transgram] and Arni & Hitzel coal yard [large wooden coal storage bin] where there was an old LV caboose that was removed just before the line was abandoned around 1970. This area is now I-78

There were three different coal yards on this line in Southside

I remember Andy's excavating pulling a few passenger cars, after the LV abandoned the line, up from Glendon to Easton Car & Construction [where Ward trucking is now], for refurb, using a John Deer excavator, Andy's brother and partner Richie was driving the machine. After he dropped the cars he continued to their lot inside the closed Easton Powdered Metal & he left the excavator sitting on the track.  

The cars were not secured and the rolled across Holly street past Transogram & the coal yards and into Easton Powdered Metal striking the excavator doing considerable damage. That was in 1972 or 1973 and those cars were the last to move on the southside line...The switch in Glendon was removed and the rails by the Old Stone Inn were removed around then.  

This line used to circle around through the farm fields in a large half circle to gain the altitude to reach the area across from Chrin's landfill and though the old Iron pit and behind Met Ed's substation before splitting at Holly Street & Industrial avenue.

I'm sorry I never had a camera back then...I-78 has obliterated most of the line though I think the circular section still runs through the farmer's fields.

At least alot of the Eastern & Northern branch is now a trail in Palmer Township; though you'd never know a section of it split in the Pigment plant on 13th St and followed the Bushkill Creek past the Easton Iron & Metal scrap yard & around under Cemetary Curve to the old C K Williams plant @ 500 Bushkill Drive which is now the municipal garage complex. My father worked for the Highway Dept. and their old garage was triangular w/ the rail loading dock and the bumper that was the end of that section. The city tore down most of the old buildings and replaced them w/ modern garages.  

There was a Coal Tressel at 13th Street and another around 600 Bushkill Drive where the fuel company is across from what was Collins & Maxwell Construction.  

There really was alot of rail traffic in the 'old days'.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2009, 9:46pm by wis_bang » Logged

Grandson of a LV conductor & I remember the EL running behind the Univ of Scranton too!
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 9:18pm »

Thanks for the South Side info, I have often heard of it, but had no idea where it ran or ran to. Too bad the area is pretty much obliterated, but your descriptions were enough to follow via Google Maps, even if I didn't know what I was really looking at! Maybe if you have time, you could mark up a Good aerial or a topo map in MS Paint or Photoshop for us? that would be VERY appreciated! In the absesnse of maps, it would be the next best thing, given your familiarity of the area.

Thanks,

RAH

One down, one to go.......
wis_bang
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 10:10pm »

You can see alot of it on the 'Historical' topo from 1938; the SW & NW Easton quads show alot of the routing. I'll work on it.

Grandson of a LV conductor & I remember the EL running behind the Univ of Scranton too!
gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2012, 8:16am »

According to the "1920 History of Northampton County" (Pg 312) the first industries on the South Side Industrial Branch were:

1) Easton Silk Dyeing & Finishing Co. - bleachers & finishers of dry-goods

2) Easton Car & Construction Co, - manufacturers of narrow gauge cars & railway equipment

3) Hawley Down Draft Furnace Co. - automatic furnaces

4) Sterling Products Co. - laundry & dry cleaning products

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2012, 10:53am by gfluck1 » Logged
gfluck1
Historian
  South_Side_Industrial_Branch_1938-1.jpg - 246744 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2012, 8:33am »

Below is the 1938 Penn Pilot Aerial Photo of the South Side Industrial Branch. I've traced what I believe is the rail routing and outlined the industry of the day, I just don't know what they are. Early in the thread there was mention of some coal trestles, which are easily visible (area 2). So the question is, can anyone identify the industies there?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (246744 bytes, 996x1024 pixels)

Click Here to View Image South_Side_Industrial_Branch_1938-1.jpg - 246744 Bytes

A-townbranchfan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 25th, 2012, 9:23am »

I've been friends with a railfan from Easton (Forks Township) since the late 70s.  Around 1980, he took me on a tour of what was left of the Easton & Northern line and other railroad remnants around Easton... one of which I now realize was where the South Side Industrial branch had crossed the road by the Old Stone Inn.  I had always wondered where that line had led, something I now know from the map on the previous post.  In my mind, the rails were still in the street at the time he drove me around -- that, or there was a strip of fresh asphalt across the concrete roadway.  Whichever the case, I remember it was obvious where the line had once crossed.  I find it fascinating that the line curved back on itself so sharply... much more so (at least it appears) than the loop on the western edge of the LV's West End Branch in Allentown.
One question for those of you most familiar with the operations on this branch.  It appears in the photo that there were no runaround tracks anywhere on the branch.  Being there were both points-facing and points-trailing turnouts along the line, did the drill which served the branch operate with the engine somewhere in the middle of the string of cars, or did the crew use a "flying switch" operation to reverse the train's order as they often did on the Allentown branches?  While I never saw such a configuration along the WEB, the Barber Branch drill did, on occasion, operate with the engine positioned between cars.  Thanks for any info on the subject.  I love these branchline forums!  Hopefully somebody out there will have some photos to share.  I'll ask my friend to see if he ever had his camera along while in that part of Easton. -- Mark

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012, 9:27am by A-townbranchfan » Logged
gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 25th, 2012, 8:50pm »

It looks to me that there may be a passing siding from the point after the first switch north of the industry (No 6).

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2012, 5:51am by gfluck1 » Logged
JTE1953
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Jun 4th, 2012, 9:41am »

I grew up on the South Side of Easton and remember watching the LV crews drill the South Side Industrial Branch back in the 1960's.  I'll try to identify the industries on the map based on what I recall was there in the 60's and 70's not from the map date of 1938.  #1 - Easton Car and Construction, #2 - Easton Coal and Lumber Company (coal trestle), #3 - Transogram Toy Company, #4 - Aerni & Hitzel Fuel Co. (wooden coal elevator), #5 - Penn Salt Company (not in business during the 1960's - siding may have been used by other business), #6 - Metropolitan Edison Company (received utility poles and other electrical utility equipment), #7 - McInerney Coal Yard.

A later map would show some additional industries that were not there yet in 1938.  For example the street that is crossed to get to #7 is Line Street.  There was a large industry on the south side of Line Street, Easton Metal Powder Company, as well as a team track, in later years.  The Easton Metal Powder building still stands (now occupied by different tenant) and can clearly be seen on current aerial views of that area on Penn Pilot.

gfluck1
Historian
  Easton_1919_Easton_Car_Easton_Dye-2-.jpg - 48818 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Dec 2nd, 2012, 7:23am »

on May 15th, 2012, 8:16am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
According to the "1920 History of Northampton County" (Pg 312) the first industries on the South Side Industrial Branch were:

2) Easton Car & Construction Co, - manufacturers of narrow gauge cars & railway equipment

Below is a segment from the Sanborn Easton Map of 1919 showing the "Easton Car & Construction Co." and the "Easton Finishing Co.". If you refer to the Penn Pilot photo on Reply #5, Numbers 1 and 3 correspond.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Easton_1919_Easton_Car_Easton_Dye-2-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gfluck1
Historian
  Easton_1919_Hawley_Down_2.jpg - 34472 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Dec 2nd, 2012, 7:25am »

on May 15th, 2012, 8:16am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Below is a segment from the Sanborn Easton Map of 1919 showing the "Hawley Down Draft Furnace Co.". If you refer to the Penn Pilot photo on Reply #5, Number 4 corresponds.    

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Easton_1919_Hawley_Down_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Feb 9th, 2013, 9:34pm »

on May 15th, 2012, 8:33am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Below is the 1938 Penn Pilot Aerial Photo of the South Side Industrial Branch. I've traced what I believe is the rail routing and outlined the industry of the day, I just don't know what they are. Early in the thread there was mention of some coal trestles, which are easily visible (area 2). So the question is, can anyone identify the industies there?

Area No. 5 from the Penn Pilot Photo is the Sterling Products Plant, PennSalt would purchase it in 1940.

gfluck1
Historian
  Hawley_315a.jpg - 236020 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 7:43am »

on Dec 2nd, 2012, 7:25am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Below is a segment from the Sanborn Easton Map of 1919 showing the "Hawley Down Draft Furnace Co.". If you refer to the Penn Pilot photo on Reply #5, Number 4 corresponds.    

For those of you who are historians, below is an article from the August 15, 1912, The Iron Trade Review on th "Hawley Down Draft Furnace Co.'s New Plant.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Hawley_315a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gfluck1
Historian
  Hawley_316a.jpg - 168817 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 7:45am »

"Hawley Down Draft Furnace Co.'s New Plant. - Continued

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Hawley_316a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wis_bang
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29th, 2015, 11:11pm »

Not to dredge up an old post but I've been loking to model this branch. #1 on this list would be the silk mill on Lincoln Street @ Coal Street. By the 1938 aerial photo the line was already cut back to Valley Street and the old ROW was being developed. First evidence I've seen that the line DID deliver coal to the silk mill.

wis_bang
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Mar 29th, 2015, 11:35pm »

Looking further; the Hawley Downdraft furnace company looks like the buildings on the East side of #4 where Arni & Hitzel's coal elevator stood. The track ran past the elevator into the area shown as the machine shop [the old LV caboose I mentioned long ago above that sat here was on this section] Looks like I have another industry to model.

gfluck1
Historian
  Easton_CarConstruction_Co._855x599.jpg - 35512 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30th, 2015, 9:27pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2012, 7:23am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Below is a segment from the Sanborn Easton Map of 1919 showing the "Easton Car & Construction Co." and the "Easton Finishing Co.". If you refer to the Penn Pilot photo on Reply #5, Numbers 1 and 3 correspond.  

Below is a photo of a copied Easton Car catalog (circa 1950), which shows an aerial of their manufacturing complex.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Easton_CarConstruction_Co._855x599.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wis_bang
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30th, 2015, 9:30pm »

Now that fills in a lot of detail!

gfluck1
Historian
  Stewart_Silk_Mill_Easton_1931_836x492.jpg - 105263 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Apr 1st, 2015, 8:01am »

on Mar 29th, 2015, 11:11pm, wis_bang wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Not to dredge up an old post but I've been loking to model this branch. #1 on this list would be the silk mill on Lincoln Street @ Coal Street. By the 1938 aerial photo the line was already cut back to Valley Street and the old ROW was being developed. First evidence I've seen that the line DID deliver coal to the silk mill.

Below is a 1931 aerial photo of the Stewart Silk Mill.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Stewart_Silk_Mill_Easton_1931_836x492.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Apr 1st, 2015, 1:09pm »

Interesting, I didn't know it went that far. Now I'm gonna have to go exploring "up there", not that there is anything left to look at, but still......

One down, one to go.......
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »