Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 11:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Manchester
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Manchester
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Manchester  (Read 1339 times)
mtcg16
Historian
Re: LV Manchester

« Reply #20 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 11:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I think those were the LCL platforms, The Icing dock was near these too I think.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 12:05pm »

Thank you Mark.......that makes total sense.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 9:56pm »

The icing facility was on the south side of the yard, about opposite of the LCL docks.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Dec 12th, 2013, 8:26am »

Thanks Paul!  

mtcg16
Historian
  389451_2954211344187_794908887_n.jpg - 97310 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12th, 2013, 8:33am »

Ariel view of Manchester yard from 1971, long sheds on the left were LCL docks. Photo from LV Facilities Volume 3.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (97310 bytes, 960x607 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 389451_2954211344187_794908887_n.jpg - 97310 Bytes

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #25 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 7:12am »

Thanks for the photos.  TB is correct that the icehouse and platform were on the south side of the yard.  In his arial photo you can see the platform on the right.  The ice house burned sometime in the 60's in believe.  The stock yard was also right across from the ice platform.  The Manchester freight transfer was the largest in the world at one time and during World War II the bridge over the Canandaigua Outlet was guarded around the clock.  Knowing that if the bridge was sabotaged the yard was unable to function.

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans400_736x711.jpg - 69651 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 11:47pm »

Here is a photo which includes a portion of the livestock facility remains at Manchester circa May, 1971.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans400_736x711.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2013, 11:48pm by TB_Diamond » Logged

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Dec 15th, 2013, 6:20am »

Thanks Paul!

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Dec 15th, 2013, 10:51am »

You bet.

On a exploration of the yard one day back in the late 1960s it was noticed that the compressor at the icing facility was still operating (it came on with a thump-thump-thump). At the time the LVRR spotted cabs next to the icing facility so must assume the ice making machinery was kept operating in order to supply caboose ice.

Just a guess which anyone can feel free to shoot down.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Dec 15th, 2013, 8:52pm »

on Dec 15th, 2013, 10:51am, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
On a exploration of the yard one day back in the late 1960s it was noticed that the compressor at the icing facility was still operating (it came on with a thump-thump-thump). At the time the LVRR spotted cabs next to the icing facility so must assume the ice making machinery was kept operating in order to supply caboose ice.

That makes sense........in addition to ice for the caboose, did head-end power have an ice-box or cooler of some kind to use ice as well?

Thanks,
Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Dec 15th, 2013, 9:59pm »

Was in the cab of a few LVRR RS2/3 locomotives back in the mid-1970s but cannot recall what type of cooler they may have had. On the BN we always brought along a 10 lb. bag of ice for the head end during hot weather even though the locos had mechanical coolers. The ice was made available by the RR via a commercial vendor who kept the ice chest in the depot full at all times. Very important in the days before air conditioning when temperatures in the locomotive cab could reach well above 100 degrees.

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #31 on: Dec 16th, 2013, 8:04pm »

Yes I do believe the ice was for the caboose and the Boys on the lead end.  But also just to the east of the icing facility was the MOW shop which I sure would have loaded up a cooler or two on those warm days.  My grandmother had a ice cart that was used on the platform.  It was in her side yard as flower box for years

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Dec 16th, 2013, 11:00pm »

Totally neat.

Can recall several of those carts at the icing facility simply laying about. A shame more of them were not saved.

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #33 on: Dec 18th, 2013, 5:38pm »

TB. Do you have any photo's of the old 96 bridge or the route 21 bridge?  I have a few before they tore them both down but never seen too many during the LVRR era

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Dec 18th, 2013, 6:12pm »

I'm sure Paul can help you out. The man is amazing and I thank the lord daily that he has such a wonderful collection of LV stuff from this area!

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser
  image.jpg - 265236 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 7:53am »

Here is a track layout for the Manchester Rail Yard in 1938.  Hard to read the specifics but it will give you an idea of its enormity.  From all the information I have gathered the widest point in the yard there were 73 tracks.  On the southern most point was the icehouse tracks and to the north were the engine return tracks back to the 30 stall roundhouse, coaling tower, ash pits, and sanding towers.  The freight transfer was on the north side of the main in the center of the yard.  On the extreme east end of the yard was the tower and the yard offices.  I'm sure there is even more to the yard just not sure

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (265236 bytes, 960x720 pixels)

Click Here to View Image image.jpg - 265236 Bytes

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Jan 10th, 2014, 11:15pm »

mtcg16:

Would very much like to help out with more photos of the facilities at Manchester. Unfortunately, was negligent in taking photos of structures there considered by myself to be mundane.

This negligence amounted to a gross misjudgment and a classic error which is greatly regretted.  

PJT

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11th, 2014, 6:51am »

Paul, you still have many great pictures of the area and yard itself. Thanks for sharing what you have!

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #38 on: Jan 11th, 2014, 6:59am »

Paul,
It's funny you say that.  Everyone I ever talked to said the same thing.  Nobody who worked there ever thought it would turn into what it is.  When they realized it, it was too late.  My great grandfather took photos but mostly of the guys and a few trains but never of the facilities or the yard itself.  Too bad they didn't have digital photography back then.  Most of what I have I have posted to the www.LVRR.com site.  I keep looking though

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Nov 17th, 2016, 3:40am »

Evidently, plans are afoot for redevelopment of LVRR's Manchester Yard, INCLUDING the Roundhouse!  

http://fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=16&id=229626#.WC1p8vkrLIU

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/20161115/freight-rail-corridor-in-manchester-getting-on-track

Plans for the roundhouse: Part musem; part railcar storage & "Using the building as it was originally intended"... Putting railcars in there I would think presumably that means that SOMEONE has plans to dig out the turntable pit and bridge. What an Interesting Development!

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2016, 3:51am by Kendaia1 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »