Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 12:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV-Related Events & Get Togethers
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV-Related Events & Get Togethers  (Read 1475 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Feb 15th, 2008, 4:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Before I explain what this is all about, I'd like to thank everyone for their support for the forum during our recent "dark age" involving a certain forum regular. Notice I did not say contributor, because frankly, I thought he contributed nothing but headaches! But I will say no more about it, and I for one wish to move on.  
Also, welcome back Keith and Lou! I hope some other regulars find their way back soon, it's been too long.

OK, now for the topic at hand.......Instead of creating separate posts each time an event (train/swap meet, railfan trip/weekend, or historical society meeting/convention) comes around that is of interest to LV fans, I thought it would be a good idea to create a catch-all place for such things. Any get together with obvious LV content is fair game, and it can be anywhere - Pennsylvania, Florida, or London, but just as long as it's LV-related......If you have to think about it, then it's not!

With that being said, there are three coming up in the relatively near future that I think bear mentioning -

The Annual Spring Thaw Train Meet - February 23-24, 2008, at the Agricultural Hall at the Allentown Fairgrounds, Allentown, PA

The Mother Seton Family Train & Railroadiana Show, hosted by the Jersey Central NRHS - March 2, 2008,  at the Mother Seton High School, Exit 135 of the Garden State Parkwy on Valley Road @ the Clark Circle, Clark, NJ

Jersey Central Railway Historical Society March meeting -  March 4, 2008, @ 7:30 PM, at the American Legion Hall, 1003 North Ave W, Westfield, NJ - Your's truly will be doing a presentation on the LV and CNJ rail-marine operations in New York Harbor (toot, toot!)

The 2008 Railroad Prototype Modelers Meet, Valley Forge, hosted by the Philly Division of the NMRA  - March 28-30, 2008 at the Desmond Great Valley Hotel and Conference Center, Malvern, PA - Your's truly will AGAIN be presenting, this time about operations on my LV Harbor Terminal layout in HO scale, and about modeling the LV's LCL operations.

Hopefully, some of us in the immediate area will be going (I'll be attending at least three of them!), and maybe we can then have the opportunity to put faces with the names.

Enjoy,

RAH

One down, one to go.......
CNJ 2512
Historian
Re: LV-Related Events & Get Togethers

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:23am »

thankyou for posting these events, i have a hard enough time finding my boots in the morning, let alone keeping track of events, i hope to make it to that event in valley forge, that sounds fun, maybe that show in clark too.

p.s.  if there are any lv events in london coming up, let me know, i've been looking for a reason to head across the pond to see the sites  

tony

two dips please
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:31am »

This Sunday March 2nd is the Mother Seton railroadiana show.........Anyone in the NY Metro area (or beyond) making the ride to Clark, besides me?  

I'm lucky in that I live all of 10 miles away, but I know most of us here are much further away, but boy is it a good show for LV and related CNJ paper, photos, and other stuff!

RAH

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:20am »

This post was a huge help last Sunday.  Wanted to get out of the house and do something with my son.  Came here, found out about the Allentown train meet and headed down.

Bought some Mike Bednar books (which he was nice enough to sign for my little guy), my son went nuts over the layouts and afterwards we went over to Allentown Yard and watched the hump engine kick cars.   Then we went over to west end of the yard and watched a train pull out.  My son's eyes lit up when the bell started ringing.  As soon as the engine cleared the yard the engineer gave a quick toot of the horn and a wave.  My son was bouncing in his car seat over that.

Thanks for contributing to a great day.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:23am by Andyt293 » Logged

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:30am »

Tony, Andy........

Glad I could help......That's just why I started the thread........Hopefully, those of us on the forum who don't personally know each other already can use these events as a way to get to meet each other and enjoy the LV even more!

Ralph

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

LV & CNJ Rail-Marine Presentations TONIGHT, 3/3

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 9:09am »

Just a last minute reminder and shameless plug.......  

Just a freindly reminder for those who live close to the Central NJ area that this evening I will be presenting a PowerPoint presentation on both the CNJ's and LV's Rail-Marine operations in New York Harbor for the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society's March meeting tonight, Tuesday March 4th at 7:30PM at the American Legion Hall in Westfield, NJ, located at 1003 North Ave W, Westfield, NJ (just two doors away from Charlie Brown's restaurant in Scotch Plains, NJ).  

Hopefully, if you are interested in Rail-Marine operations and not otherwise glued to the tube watching Must-See-TV-Tuesday, I hope you can make it out tonight!  

Ralph Heiss

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 11:10am »

ARHS CONVENTION.......... Just in case you all did not know about this. 10/31/2008 and 11/01/2008 In Hazleton Ramada Inn.  All are welcome Friday Registration 7-8PM Slides and videos from 7:30pm. Saturday Registration 7:30 to 9AM, Business meeting/AM seminars/ Lunch break/PM seminars/ Banquet. Vendor tables available. It is $30 for the  seminars and shows. The banquet is $25 for the meal. Lots of good slides and movies.   Take err easy   Keith

jim k
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27th, 2008, 8:29am »

Thanks Keith for the friendly reminder - appreciate it.

Unfortuniately, the ARHS meet conflicts with the Golden Spike Collectors show at Gaithersburg which also kicks-off this Friday.  Friday / Saturday admission is salty ($35 a pop) but the early admission show is night and day compared to the Sunday fair which is open to the public ($7?).  I'm always amazed with the treasures that come out of the woodwork.  Made many a good find at Gaithersburg over the years, plus it's always good to see old friends.

Tough call, but can't be a two places...  

Take care - JK

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2009, 10:53pm »

Hellooooo,

As some of you know, the NMRA New Jersey Division meet in September will feature Ralph Heiss discussing the subject of his new book: the Lehigh Valley in NJ.

This is going to be a pretty cool day and all are welcome whether or not you are a member of the NMRA. It is also going to be the first co-operative meet with the Garden State Division, so we expect to have a really good time. Details will posted here: http://www.njdivnmra.org/NJ_Division/Timetable.html

I can tell you this much so far. It will be held Sept 19, 2009 at Christ Church in Middletown, NJ. Ralph will do his presentation in the AM along with Jimmy Judge who will do a clinic on scheduled operations for model railroaders (based upon his schedules for  Rick Spano's N-scale Scenic & Undecided and the Garden State Central Model RR Club). There will also be a contest for best model photo.

After the two morning sessions, there will be at least 9 home layouts on tour. One of them features a lot of anthracite road equipment in HO scale. The layouts will include a 7.5" gauge live steamer,  4 garden railds with at least two running live steam, one O-scale highrail layout and an assortment of HO layouts including Thom Radice's stunning version of the Western & Atlantic in 1863 (which is to make its national magazine debut next month).

Admittedly, not all of the day is anthracite-oriented, but many of the organizers are a-coal nuts (both railroads and mining). If you are in the area, come on down. It will be worth it to hear Ralph and maybe get an autographed copy of his book!

All the best,

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:48am »

Thanks, Rob!

A good time was had by all last Saturday.

Now, if any of you happen to find yourselves in Joisey this weekend, particularly Joisey City, I will be doing a book signing at the B Dalton's in the Newport Centre Mall this Saturday, September 26 at 2:00 p.m.

So, forget the yard work, call in sick, and tell the wife/girlfriend that you are taking them to the mall for the day, and come out and say hi.

Best of all, the mall is built upon the site of the Erie's Pavonia Terminal (not that that is a good thing, mind you) and you can also take the train there, too! The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Line directly serves the mall, and that line can be easily accessed by NJT or the PATH system.

Hope to see you there!

Ralph

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:53am by Flemington Flyer » Logged

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:55am »

Also, don't forget this weekend, it's Dieruff show time!

Sunday, September 27, 2009
Lehigh Valley Chapter's Dieruff Train Show
Lehigh Valley Chapter's 33rd annual train show will be held from 10 - 4.  
Admission is $3 per person.  
Large selection of books, timetables, and railroadiana.

Dieruff Senior High School
Washington and Irving Streets
Allentown, PA 18103

For more information:
http://trolleys@ptd.net
610-703-7962

irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2009, 2:35pm »

Ralph will you be at the show on Sun. selling your book?

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2009, 7:46pm »

No, but other people will be selling it, of that I am sure! I will be lurking amongst the tables, however........$5 autograph specials all day! LOL!

RAH

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2009, 1:23pm »

Another last-minute (sort of) book signing event, and this one is at a hobby shop!

This Saturday, 10/10 I will be signing at the Big Little Railroad Shop in Somerville, NJ -  
http://www.biglittle.com/

From 12 to 3PM.

Downtown Somerville is just a few miles off from Interstates 287 and 78

If you live in the area, come on down and say hi!

Ralph

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009, 2:42pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: May 5th, 2010, 11:20am »

There will be a slide show covering the LVRR from Washington St. to Coxton in Rutherford NJ on May 14th. Admission is free.
More info here: http://www.modelengineers.org/

Keith (the other one....from the Jersey end of the LV)

firstbelt
Historian
  LV_Geneva.jpg - 71118 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: May 21st, 2012, 8:44pm »

In the short notice department, the Geneva, NY Historical Society will have a meeting tomorrow night:
http://www.genevahistoricalsociety.com/Calendar.htm

May 22, 7:30pm:
"Some Lehigh Valley Railroad Stories." A lecture by author John Buchholz.
543 South Main St., Geneva, NY 14456

A friend related a situation in early Conrail years: a local MOW crew parked a hi-rail truck inside the building in the baggage area, loaded with tie plates, etc.  Next day, the truck was found in the basement.

From a visit to the Geneva LV station several years ago:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Geneva.jpg
Click Image to Resize

firstbelt
Historian
  100-0252a_2012.jpg - 73677 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: May 21st, 2012, 8:57pm »

On the topic of Geneva, the Rochester Model Railroad Club added a fairly accurate model of the Geneva station to its Lehigh Valley-themed layout.  
http://www.rmrrc.com/

From the March 2012 open house:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/100-0252a_2012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

TRI.jpg - 94712 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: May 22nd, 2012, 5:13pm »

Too late? Maybe not?

I'll be presenting a slide show on NY Harbor railroading 1950-1976 (featuring the LV, of course!) this Thursday night, 5/24 in Morristown, NJ for the Tri-State NRHS....See the attached flyer for details. If your in the area, please stop by!

RAH

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/TRI.jpg
Click Image to Resize

firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 10:24pm »

Program was postponed a couple times, and presenter was originally ex-LV engineer Doug Parmalee.

Lehigh Valley Railroad with Jim Moore
Thursday, January 17th, 2013

40&8 Club, 933 University Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607

The museum store opens at 7pm, a brief business meeting takes place at 7:30pm, and the program begins around 8:15pm. This is a FREE event. Everyone is welcome!

http://rgvrrm.org/events/

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

Allentown Railroadiana Show

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20th, 2013, 11:56am »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by Dr. Sheldon Cooper on 09/20/13 at 12:15:14  

Hi; I also thought I would let folks know the Allentown Railroadiana, and train show will be next Sunday the 29th at Dieruff High school. I am sure there will be some neat railroad items there.  Keith

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »