Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 12:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New LV Books
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   New LV Books
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New LV Books  (Read 4531 times)
Henry
Historian
Re: New LV Books

« Reply #80 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 4:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The off-topic posts related to government meddling were moved to Charlie's new post in the Concourse at http://forums.railfan.net/?board=concourse&action=display&num=1359666078

Henry

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Mar 29th, 2013, 9:23am »

I have to agree with Mr. Amato's assessment of Rudy Garbely's new LV book. Thanks Matt for pointing out that Empire Train had this book in stock.  

I think this is an awesome book that includes more than the "usual" pictorial-type book. As mentioned, the long-archived Robert Haldeman collection of information were great supplements.

In my opinion, this book was worth every penny.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

LV Across NJ - Vol.2

« Reply #82 on: Jul 26th, 2013, 10:35am »

Pre-production has begun on my second volume on the LV across New Jersey.  
This book will be self-published, and not thru Arcadia as my first book was. I intend to include more paper memorabilia reproductions, ala' the old Ed Gardner books, and the scope (era-wise) as well.

If anyone has any info or pictures, or thoughts upon content that they'd like to share with me, I am open to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks,

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast
Re: LV Across NJ - Vol.2

« Reply #83 on: Jul 26th, 2013, 11:58am »

on Jul 26th, 2013, 10:35am, Dr. Sheldon Cooper wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pre-production has begun on my second volume on the LV across New Jersey.  
This book will be self-published, and not thru Arcadia as my first book was. I intend to include more paper memorabilia reproductions, ala' the old Ed Gardner books, and the scope (era-wise) as well.

If anyone has any info or pictures, or thoughts upon content that they'd like to share with me, I am open to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks,

Ralph

Let me know if you need any assistance with anything.  I don't have photos, but I have knowledge!

- Rudy Garbely
Repairs & Service, Atlas Model Railroad Company
Owner & Editor-in-Chief, The Garbely Publishing Company
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #84 on: Jul 26th, 2013, 4:39pm »

Ralph, good luck with this project. I am looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #85 on: Dec 4th, 2013, 3:50pm »

Anyone have a copy of the new Carstens book "Lehigh Valley Diesel Pictorial"?

I am probably going to add it to my list for Santa, along with Lehigh Valley 6 In Color.

Frank

Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #86 on: Dec 4th, 2013, 4:54pm »

I have it.  It's an excellent photo reference for LV diesel fans.

- Rudy Garbely
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #87 on: Dec 5th, 2013, 9:20am »

Rudy thanks for the quick reply!  I have a few projects on the workbench (GP9/18 and RS-3) so this will come in handy.  Plus it's only about $25

Frank

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Dec 5th, 2013, 10:17am »

I have to agree with Rudy that it's a very good reference. There are a lot of roster shots, but there also are some side-views and even a few rare photos such as a single F-unit in a 3/4 rear-view on the Auburn branch (I think it's the Auburn branch).

And as mentioned, yes it's not expensive. And yes, Lehigh Valley In Color 6 is a must-have!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #89 on: Dec 10th, 2014, 1:35pm »

Wow, I guess that's certainly an opinion (regarding the Carsten's book, that is), that everyone is, of course, entitled to.  

As you can probably guess, I'm not in agreement. Honestly, I thought the work was under par for color reproduction, scop of content, and data. There are plenty of good, if not better on-line sources, as well as previously published books (Morning Sun series) that do the subject much better justice.

Now of course, hindsight being 20/20, some of this could be blamed on what would, a short time later become the "death" of Carstens Publishing, and maybe the time and money spent on quality control wasn't what it should have been, resulting in a sub-par product in this authors opinion. I also realize that not everybody can or wants to do their research online, so maybe a book is the better choice for those folks. Full discolsure, I have a copy, because my father gave it to me as a gift.

The only "good" thing about it is the cheap price, and "handiness" of it, as Frank said, for "workbench reference" in particular. But not to get into an argument with you specifically Charlie, I feel in my opinion that a "must have" praise is far from deserved.

Just my two cents worth,

Ralph

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2014, 10:15am by Flemington Flyer » Logged

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #90 on: Dec 10th, 2014, 11:53pm »

I'd agree for the most part with Ralph's assessment of this one (the Carsten's book, that is).  I'll admit to being somewhat less than "overwhelmed" when I received my copy some time ago.  But that said, I continue to believe that there are really no "bad" Lehigh Valley books...some are just a lot better than others (hey, they can't all be Mike Bednar quality, right??), and I applaud the folks who put this together for their effort...it's another addition to the stack of LV publications, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

If you're looking for lots of 3/4 shots of LV power for modeling project references or something similar, you'll probably be OK with this, and the price is certainly right.  If you're looking for great color/artsy shots and informative captions, stay with Mr. Bednar's stuff and the Morning Sun publications.

And before I forget.....Happy Holidays and very best wishes for the New Year to everybody who contributes (or just lurks!) here.  It's been way too quiet lately...TB, I've been missing all of your usual great pics and informative posts!
   Doug

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Dec 11th, 2014, 10:03am »

Doug -

Agreed, and put far more eloquently than I did.

And I too would like to wish everyone here a happy holiday of their choice, and once again, thank you for making this one of, if not the BEST Fallen Flags fourms here on Railfan.net.

Ralph

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Dec 13th, 2014, 6:41pm »

on Dec 10th, 2014, 1:35pm, Dr. Sheldon Cooper wrote:       (Click here for original message)
But not to get into an argument with you specifically Charlie, I feel in my opinion that a "must have" praise is far from deserved.

Hiya Ralph,

I'm not sure if I may have sent a mixed-message, but I wanted to point out my praise for a must-have book was intended for Mike Bednar's LV-6 and not the book put out by Carstens. While the new Carstens book is indeed decent for the modeler or novice railfan, the historian in me couldn't get past some of the glaring errors (like GP-19) and I just found that book underwhelming.

Personally I like all of Mike Bednar's work mostly because I enjoy his writing-style.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Dec 16th, 2014, 9:45am »

Hey Charlie -

Well, with your explanation AND my subsequent re-reading of your post, I see that now.....Sorry to have made the wrong assumption.

Part of me wished that I could just be happy that somebody bothered to produce an LV book, but the other part says "if you can't take the time to get it right, don't even bother". That being said, call me a hypocrite if you want, since there is a factual location error even in my LV book.

As you and others here know, I take railroad history and the associated facts VERY (too much? Never! LOL!) seriously, especially when it comes to the LV. Pretty funny for someone who didn't grow up along it and never saw it run, but hey.......

Anywho, glad we got that cleared up. I wonder if the MS/Bednar partnership has anything lined up for 2015?

Ralph

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Dec 18th, 2014, 7:52pm »

No sweat, my friend!

I feel the same way in regards to history. I also take it seriously, and probably TOO seriously as well!  

I'm hoping Big Mike and MS have more work up their sleeves for a new LV book. It's been a while!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #95 on: Dec 18th, 2014, 9:04pm »

Last time I talked to Mike (late summer or early fall), he was going to take it easy on books for a while. I got the impression that he had somewhat burned himself out by cranking out so many Morning Sun books in the past ~2 years or so. While I'm disappointed that we won't have any new material from him in the immediate future, I can certainly understand from a writing/publishing perspective that it can really wear on you after a while, especially when you're doing it in your spare time.

- Rudy Garbely
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Dec 19th, 2014, 7:44pm »

I was wondering the same thing......Mike certainly did put out a bunch of work over these last several years.  

Happy Holidays!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

arjay3
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Mar 3rd, 2015, 4:09pm »

A lot of reviews soft sell the bad products because they owe favors or advertising revenue. But that is not the case here so the honest opinion is that this book is at the bottom of the heap relative to all other LV books - and that is bad. They used all duplicate slides (without any type of credit), reproduction is so-so and the mis-information - (blue flag - get real!). The fact no author wants to take the credit tells the entire story. Its a shame that Lehigh Valley fans are served this junk instead of a quality product with good reproduction and accurate information.

Rich Jahn

on Dec 10th, 2014, 11:53pm, DElder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'd agree for the most part with Ralph's assessment of this one (the Carsten's book, that is).  I'll admit to being somewhat less than "overwhelmed" when I received my copy some time ago.  But that said, I continue to believe that there are really no "bad" Lehigh Valley books...some are just a lot better than others (hey, they can't all be Mike Bednar quality, right??), and I applaud the folks who put this together for their effort...it's another addition to the stack of LV publications, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

If you're looking for lots of 3/4 shots of LV power for modeling project references or something similar, you'll probably be OK with this, and the price is certainly right.  If you're looking for great color/artsy shots and informative captions, stay with Mr. Bednar's stuff and the Morning Sun publications.

And before I forget.....Happy Holidays and very best wishes for the New Year to everybody who contributes (or just lurks!) here.  It's been way too quiet lately...TB, I've been missing all of your usual great pics and informative posts!
   Doug  

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Mar 3rd, 2015, 10:26pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2015, 4:09pm, arjay3 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A lot of reviews soft sell the bad products because they owe favors or advertising revenue. But that is not the case here so the honest opinion is that this book is at the bottom of the heap relative to all other LV books - and that is bad. They used all duplicate slides (without any type of credit), reproduction is so-so and the mis-information - (blue flag - get real!). The fact no author wants to take the credit tells the entire story. Its a shame that Lehigh Valley fans are served this junk instead of a quality product with good reproduction and accurate information.

Rich Jahn

Welcome to the forum, Rich.......and I agree 100% with you!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »