Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 8:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New LV Books
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   New LV Books
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New LV Books  (Read 4541 times)
Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast
Re: New LV Books

« Reply #60 on: Jul 31st, 2012, 5:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I saw Mike this past weekend and got a copy from him.  It's absolutely excellent, and does cover the west end better than most other LV books.

- Rudy Garbely
Repairs & Service, Atlas Model Railroad Company
Owner & Editor-in-Chief, The Garbely Publishing Company
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 9:58am »

I am surprissed that been too much discussion about the book so far, I figured we would have all run out and bought it by now and read it front to back multiple times, LOL!

I am on my second read thru now (actually READING it!), and am learning so much, and of course using what little pre-info is contained within, in reagrds to the symbol freights. Of course, Mike's human element writing style is worth the price of admission alone.

The ONLY thing I noticed (and I guess is a complaint angled towards Morning Sun Books only) is that the photo reproduction is rather lacking - Not horrible, but under par, especially considering it's price tag! I'm not talking about exposure so much as I am blur, soft focus/fuzziness, and color "shift" for lack of a better term (maybe Scott L. can help me with those technical terms!)

I mean, I do understand that the more books you do on a finite subject (as opposed to say a book on the SP or B&O), your available pool of "class A" or perfectly exposed photos dwindles, especially if those pictures you are after are of a specific subject, ignoring better ones that don't fit the "story". But, at the same time, digital editing programs and printing should be able to correct for that, no? But like I said, that is my only caveat with the book. I think if it weren't for the great "extra" comentary, it would be a deal breaker for me, though.

So, what say the rest of you?

Oh, and thanks to Mike once again for putting this in writing for us all to enjoy.  

RAH

One down, one to go.......
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 12:23pm »

All I know is it's on my Christams list, can't afford it right now. Thanks Mike for another great book on my favorite Railroad! I just keep my fingers crossed, and pray daily that mike will do a book on the LV from Geneva to P&L Junction(Rochester Branch included) with about 500 or so unseen pictures....That would be my dream come true. I met a guy a while back who told me his father worked for the LV out of Manchester and he had 1000+ pictures of the main line from Manchester to Rochester Junction.. Never saw them and he has vanished

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 12:48pm »

Ralph,

I certainly understand where you're coming from in regards to the sometimes "less than perfect" reproduction of photos. In this case however, I think you hit in on the head, because there have been a large number of books from MS on this particular road. Mike's commentary simply makes it a MUST BUY for me, because he's Mike Bednar---so you all know why.  

On the other hand, aside from the photo reproduction at times--Erie/Lackawanna/EL books sometimes have the same issues because of the numerous books as well, I do like the quality of the books themselves. I have never had a book's binding break down or unravel or come apart. Then again, I am ultra careful with them when I read or put them away in my book-case. I like the quality aspect of MS books in that regard as well.

I am hoping to get my book this coming week as I reserved a copy from my local book-store up here in Rochester.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

LV319

« Reply #64 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 6:02pm »

I bought my copy of Lehigh Valley in Color 6 yesterday from Central Hobby in Syracuse.  Just took a break from studying it, the more you look, the more you see.  Thanks Mike, as always, on another grest book!

All Photos taken by Mark A. Fritz, unless otherwise noted, All rights reserved.
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 6:49pm »

I know it has Manchester, but how about Rochester Junction or Rochester yards and P&L junction?

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 7:00pm »

The book is about the TRAINS (and the operations thereof), not so much particular locations/facilities.......So if your only looking for those kind of things, then mabe this book isn't for you.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2012, 7:02pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 9:01pm »

I am interested in the Trains and the locations, sorry if i upset you with my questions. I am just really into the locations in my area because as a child I saw many of them, I just did not have a camera. But I also love the Lehigh Valleys trains becaue in my opinion, they were some of the most colorful out there.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 11:29pm »

You didn't "upset" me, but from your posts, I gathered that you seemed rather hyperfocused on these locations/parts of the railroad, AND you seem to be on a budget - understandable, as I like to see things from the east end of the RR myself.  
With that being said, I'm just trying to help you save on a purchase that may not be right for you or at the very least, be of little interest. However, I think you or anybody for that matter, will enjoy what Mike has to offer in this (or any of his others for that matter) book.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2012, 11:30pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Aug 5th, 2012, 7:02am »

Agreed! And thanks!

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Aug 12th, 2012, 5:36pm »

Just got done reading LV 6 In Color just this afternoon and it's another masterpiece. I learned a lot about how the Valley blocked and routed their trains. It's another great resource for any LV fan! And there is a good mix of photos everywhere on the system.

Loved it!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #71 on: Sep 17th, 2012, 10:06pm »

For anyone that's interested, I'll have a table at the Lehigh Valley Chapter NRHS's annual show at Dieruff High School in Allentown on Sunday, September 30th from 10AM to 4PM.  I will have copies of my book for everyone to view and purchase.  I realize that some people are skeptical of a new book from a no-name author, so I wanted to offer the opportunity for the public to see the book before they buy it!

http://www.rudystrains.com/lehigh-valley

- Rudy Garbely
LV319

« Reply #72 on: Oct 6th, 2012, 10:41am »

Hi Rudy, I went to your website and learned about you and your railroad historical work, to include your book about the Lehigh Valley Railroad.  I ordered the book today and look forward to reading it.  Thanks for your efforts.

All Photos taken by Mark A. Fritz, unless otherwise noted, All rights reserved.
Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #73 on: Oct 6th, 2012, 1:29pm »

on Oct 6th, 2012, 10:41am, LV319 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Rudy, I went to your website and learned about you and your railroad historical work, to include your book about the Lehigh Valley Railroad.  I ordered the book today and look forward to reading it.  Thanks for your efforts.  

Thanks!  I hope you enjoy it!!!

- Rudy Garbely
Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #74 on: Dec 29th, 2012, 10:58pm »

I've completely redone my book from cover to cover.  It's now available in hardcover, with new photos, new info, and a much better format.

More info: http://www.garbelypublishing.com/publications/lehigh-valley---the-final-years-1965-1976

- Rudy Garbely
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #75 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 9:48am »

I just finished reading Rudy Garbely's new book, "Lehigh Valley The Final Years: 1965-1976".  My comments here pertain to the second edition, published January, 2013.

At 108 pages, the author has combined his thorough knowledge of railroad history with detailed business and economic analysis.  It is an excellent read, not at all like a dry Harvard business case you MBA students out there are all too familiar with.  

The book begins with a brief review of the creation of the Lehigh Valley as a coal-hauling business in the 1850s.  Abundant coal and cement traffic as well as two world wars kept the Valley in the black for many years.  However, by the mid-60s, the good times were over, and per the title, the author's focus is on the decline of the railroad from 1965.

An important theme of this book is how the Valley differentiated itself from neighboring roads including the CNJ, Reading, and PRR/Penn Central.  Innovation such as early termination of passenger service, implementation of dedicated trains (Apollo/Mercury), and run-through operations with the NKP/N&W were examples of how the railroad minimized losses.

The Valley also had a significant advantage of online customers including Bethlehem Steel, Charmin Paper, and New Jersey Zinc.  These large companies provided the Valley with a significant advantage over neighboring roads CNJ and Reading, who relied heavily on interchange traffic for income.

In contrast, the author also details economic and regulatory "headwinds" working against the railroad, including outdated labor agreements, poor credit rating, deferred maintenance, and unreliable motive power.  External events such as the CNJ and PC bankruptcies negated significant cash flow to the Valley, and formation of the interstate system siphoned freight business from the rails. The impact on the Valley's income statement and balance sheet was staggering!

By the mid-70s, however, the Valley was simply not strong enough to exist by itself, and it was included in the USRA plan that was Conrail.  The last chapter touches on early Conrail, and details which parts of the Valley remain in service, as well as what was abandoned or sold.

Several appendices provide the reader with a wealth of customer information, carload operating statistics, revenue/loss information, and interchange volumes.  A detailed locomotive roster, including leased/temporary units is also presented.  Primary sources including former LV employees as well as the Robert Haldeman (bankruptcy trustee) collection add color and credibility to the book.

In summary, I found this to be an outstanding book, with top-notch editing.  Some of the book's pictures will be familiar to readers of Morning Sun's "LV in Color" series, but there are are many that were new to me.  The photos are nicely printed in color, with detailed captions providing good context.  I will be diving deeper into the book throughout the winter!

Frank Amato
  Davenport, IA

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013, 12:09pm by amato1969 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 10:43am »

Thanks for the thorough review, Frank. This sounds like a an excellent read--I hope to add Mr. Garbely's book to my collection in the near future.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 5:01pm »

Where can it be purchased, and how much is is. Are the pictures from Both ends and in between??

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 9:53pm »

Very light on photographic coverage Sayre-West.

However, this does not distract from an otherwise excellent historic record.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #79 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 10:46pm »

on Jan 30th, 2013, 5:01pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Where can it be purchased, and how much is is. Are the pictures from Both ends and in between??

The book is available for purchase on my website, www.garbelypublishing.com.  Admittedly, the photos are heavy on the area east of Sayre, but much of the book concentrates on the finances and customers of the LV... and most of the LV's customers were east of Sayre.  The photos serve to illustrate the text - it was never designed to be a Morning Sun-style book of just photos.

Thank you everyone for your praise!  I'm glad that the book has been enjoyed and so well received!  Feel free to post questions for me if you have them.

-Rudy Garbely

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2013, 10:52pm by Rudy Garbely » Logged

- Rudy Garbely
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »