Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 7:59am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New LV Books
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   New LV Books
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New LV Books  (Read 4542 times)
BlackDiamondRR
Historian
Re: New LV Books

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 5:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Same here Ralph....price? When due? Looking forward to it and I don't anticipate any nitpicking, after all, its a bigger undertaking than I'd attempt.
   Bud

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Mar 18th, 2009, 9:33am »

Hi guys -

Well, not to jump the gun, but I haven't even received the proofs back yet from Arcadia, so I guess I did jump a little too quickly!

I "think" the book will be around $21.00, which is the usual asking price from Barnes & Nobels/Borders/Amazon these days for these kind of books.

The proofs should be in my hands by next month (I hope) and then it is off to the real presses. I am going to realisticly say that it won't be off the presses until Labor day, but maybe they will surprise me.

I will post any updates here as I get them.

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Jun 4th, 2009, 11:36am »

Hello interested friends and fans! A quick update on the book - Arcadia has given me printed flyers to hand out for the book for promotional presentations with a date of August 24th printed on them, so I hope they stick to that date! I have been, and will be doing more presentations on the book across the state throughout the Summer and Fall, so I will keep everyone updated if you find yourself within driving distance.  

Ralph

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Arcadia_Pub_website.jpg - 111712 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 5:16pm »

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Arcadia_Pub_website.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 12:04pm »

Neat stuff Ralph. You can be sure one will be headed my way.Thanks for the hard work!  Take err easy   Keith

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Aug 5th, 2009, 1:43pm »

Well guys, I have gotten my advance copy of my new LV book, and I must say, I think you'll all be very pleased with the quality, if not the subject matter!

I wanted to take a minute to talk to you about buying a copy, be it from myself or online, as some of you have expressed to me that you wanted to purchase a copy directly from me. Due to the cost that I would have to outlay to purchase enough books upfront for potential sales, I feel the best way for you to purchase a copy is to visit Barnes & Noble online (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/) who currently has the book for sale for $16.49, and if you are a B&N online member, only $14.84 (free shipping). The book retails for $21.99 (via Arcadia's website and Amazon.com), and I would be selling the book to you for $23.52 (NJ sales tax added). The books official release date is August 24th.

So, I would suggest, that you try to purchase a copy via your choice of online seller (there may be cheaper alternatives than B&N, but I have not investiaged further). I realize that not everybody may be "web savvy" or feels comfortable about shopping online (but hey, if you are reading this, you should be!), but as I said, the price differential, especially in this financial climate, makes a lot of sense for you to purchase the book this way.  As I said, as much as I'd like to sell you the book (and I will, if that is what you choose to do out of ease of purchase), I just can't do so in good conscious without presenting the cheaper option first, nor can I afford spending over $1000 to pre-order the books to slowly make a return on my investment, as much as I'd like to.

Thanks for understanding,

Ralph

P.S. - Please address any private questions regarding the above to me via PM

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2009, 1:54pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Aug 5th, 2009, 4:08pm »

A slightly cheaper online buying solution just brought to my attention is Books A Million (booksamillion.com), who is listing the book for the online price of $16.36  
and a club price of $14.72. I have no connection with these sites (and in the case of this one, I have never heard of it until now), so in other words, I get no "kickbacks".

Ralph

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 7:58am »

Just got a copy of Mike Bednar's latest book. LV facilities #3. I told him yesterday it is the best yet. So many good photos of the upper end and the great station shots of stations that were here it just seemed yesterday. I had no idea places like Interlaken lasted as long as they did. When I was there it was just a cement pad. Sad all these places are gone now. But we have a few photos anyway. Photos of Alco RS-3s up to the roof in snow! Shots of the wreck at Canastota, at the tower! So many rare photos. I could go on and on but like I said it is the BEST yet.  Thanks   Keith

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 9:36am »

Apparently, I am in good company.

RAH

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:59am »

Hey Ralph; I checked with Amazon and they told me your book was not yet available. Do you know what date it will be on the streets??     Keith Bednar

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 11:08am »

Keith -  

Yesterday (24th) was the official release, but I get my personal copies for sale today. Limited supply, act now! LOL!

Ralph

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Aug 26th, 2009, 11:17am »

My brother in law is in the Barnes and Noble club,just E-mailed him,LOL!!! Gonna grab Mike's book,too..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
DElder
Chaser

« Reply #32 on: Sep 6th, 2009, 11:45am »

Keith:
Just received my copy of Mike's "LV Facilities Vol. 3", and I would agree that it's the best yet (and the fact that I grew up in the area covered has absolutely nothing to do with that opinion...HA!).  With publication of this one, along with Ken Kraemer's recent "west end" book, we now have some excellent and long-needed coverage of a portion of the LV that sadly hasn't received a whole lot of attention.  Those shots of branchline activity in the dead of winter brought back lots of memories of those cold and snowy NY winters that I've not experienced (happily!) since moving to the midwest in the late 70s!

I did some poking around central NY while back there on a vacation trip this past August, and as Mike points out, evidence of the LV through this area is fast becoming hard to find.  I grew up just a bit south of the Interlaken depot area that you mention (in Trumansburg), and would love to have seen some pics from around the T-Burg station area, but the research that I've gone suggests that good shots of that area are pretty hard to come by.  (I wonder if Dick Pearson ever stopped by there during his travels around central NY shooting LV facilities?  Not much left there by the mid-60s.)

Please pass along my sincere thanks and appreciation to Mike for his latest "Facilities" book (and for his previous books!).   It brings back lots of good memories of chasing the LV around NY State in the 70's!
    Doug Elder

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 5:38pm »

New book out--was in Niagara Hobby today to finish Christmas shopping and THERE SHE WAS!

Lost Railroads of Western New York
Volume 1: The Lehigh Valley at Buffalo
by Stephan M. Koenig

I can't wait to read it tonight!

Merry Christmas!
Charlie

http://www.southplattepress.com/current/lostwny.html

~Charlie Ricker

Henry
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Dec 24th, 2010, 5:58pm »

Excellent! I just ordered mine!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Henry

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 1:02pm »

Mary Dann's book on the Lehigh Valley is a good one. Would love to see more pictures of the Rochester/Rochester Junction/ Mendon/ Victor/ Manchester route. Would also love to see a picture of a Valley train going over the High Bridge on the Genesee river in the final years.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 9:25am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 6:29pm, BlackDiamondRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi all,
   Just as info, there will be another photo  book coming on the LVRR, due out in mid March '08.  
    My good friend Ken Kraemer from the Buffalo area has done several other photo books and this will be his first LV effort. There is no price listed yet but the cover can be seen at http://www.rrtraxstudios.com   I believe it will be mostly west end content.  
                        Bud Rindfleisch

Has anyone seen this book yet? How many photo's of Rochester Junction are in it?

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #37 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 8:01pm »

Ken Kraemer's book has been since early 2008.  It's a good one (at least in my opinion, but I'm possibly a bit biased due to the area that he focused on).  The section on Rochester Jct. has 9 photos.

Much as I really love all of the great picture books that Mike Bednar has done, Ken's book has become one of my favorites to grab off the shelf when I need a quick LV "fix"....probably because there are many pics of places that I used to go watch LV trains around central NY back in the early/mid 70s.  Ken's pictures brings back lots of good memories!
   Doug

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 9:30pm »

on Feb 10th, 2011, 8:01pm, DElder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ken Kraemer's book has been since early 2008.  It's a good one (at least in my opinion, but I'm possibly a bit biased due to the area that he focused on).  The section on Rochester Jct. has 9 photos.

Much as I really love all of the great picture books that Mike Bednar has done, Ken's book has become one of my favorites to grab off the shelf when I need a quick LV "fix"....probably because there are many pics of places that I used to go watch LV trains around central NY back in the early/mid 70s.  Ken's pictures brings back lots of good memories!
   Doug  

Thanks for the information!!

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 6:43am »

I ordered mine last night, can't wait to get it!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »