Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 6:06pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New LV Books
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   New LV Books
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New LV Books  (Read 4549 times)
BlackDiamondRR
Historian
New LV Books

« on: Jan 21st, 2008, 6:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi all,
   Just as info, there will be another photo  book coming on the LVRR, due out in mid March '08.  
    My good friend Ken Kraemer from the Buffalo area has done several other photo books and this will be his first LV effort. There is no price listed yet but the cover can be seen at http://www.rrtraxstudios.com   I believe it will be mostly west end content.  
                        Bud Rindfleisch

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008, 11:13am by Flemington Flyer » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New book coming on the LV

« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 7:47pm »

That's great news, Bud! No disrespect to the east end, but it seems to have been photographed alot more than LV's west end, so this book will (hopefully) fill in some gaps. Are Batavia and Rochester represented in there?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 11:56pm »

Matthew,
    I agree, we've had plenty of coverage of the eastern end of the LV so hoping this volume will appease those of us from the western end. I'm not sure how far "east" Ken went with his coverage, guess we'll all have to wait and see.
   Bud

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 7:27am »

Nice!  
as a life-long "west ender", im really looking forward to this one!

Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 9:34pm »

Quote:
Didn't LV hand off coal to PRR for Sodus? Back during the teens?

There was interchange between LV and PRR at Stanley until the Naples Branch was embargoed in 1973. Coal was in the mix until PRR closed the Sodus dock in 1967.  

Quote:
Rochester was neat too.

Yeah, I'd really like to see Rochester, so I can contrast it with the 3 miles or so that's left today.  

This is the LA&L on the former LV last November:  

The train is crossing Jefferson Road in Henrietta, NY. Photo taken by me.

Quote:
NKP run thrus just haulin A.
Maybe some Wabash.
N&W of course.

Those rare RS-36s would be really, really cool, especially NKP/N&W #418 since she ran on the Ontario Central (ex-LV main) from 1979 to 2007.    

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2013, 10:52am by Charlie Ricker » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 9:37am »

sign off  of  rte 390....would that be "Lehigh Station Rd"? I've always wondered myself where that would've, or does lead to today. I picked up some nice photos at a train show of Roch. Jct during the heyday. That would be neat Jct to model and not take up a lot of plywood real estate.
    Bud

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 6:54pm »

Quote:
Thanks Matt.
The reason I like Rochester is because LV wasn't first in there and had that unique station in town.Not the one most people see in photos of "Roch. Jct..
Which is neat by its self.

The tracks are gone, but the LV station in the heart of the city is now the Dinosaur BBQ... yum!!!  

Quote:
I work on the Ont C. once spraying weeds in a DeAngeloes truck once.
My pilot,forget his name gave me one of those all yellow ball caps ,which I never wore.

That gentleman was probably the incomparable Don Brown- manager, conductor, engineer, track gang foreman, etc. He has kept 13 miles of the old LV alive since he joined ONCT in 1979. Don is one of the hardest working men in shortline RRing.  

Quote:
And they had a high hood Alco workin that day,he was in the hole for me.1998.

Number 418 was/is a low nose Alco. Don might've borrowed a high nose Alco from the Ontario Midland (ONCT's former owner) or perhaps that high nose LA&L C-420 you see above. LA&L purchased ONCT in 1998, and owned it till last year.  

Quote:
O.C. had a Jordan,any info?

Yeah, it's on the old NYC stub behind Victor Insulators.  

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2013, 10:54am by Charlie Ricker » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 7:19pm »

on Jan 28th, 2008, 9:37am, BlackDiamondRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
sign off  of  rte 390....would that be "Lehigh Station Rd"? I've always wondered myself where that would've, or does lead to today.

Lehigh Station Road (aka Rt. 253) is an east-west road between River Road and Clover Street (Rt. 65) in the southern 'burbs of Rochester. If you get off I-390 and head east, you will come to the former LV stub which is now owned and operated by the LA&L. The tracks stop about 1/4 mile south of the crossing. There are a couple of active customers there- including Matthews & Fields Lumber, a former LV customer which still gets about 1-2 cars per week.          

If y'all want to have some fun, play around with the M&F address in Google maps: 1230 Lehigh Station Road / Henrietta, NY 14467. Make sure to zoom in with the satellite shot!  

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2008, 7:20pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

New LV Books

« Reply #8 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:25am »

I thought I would "rebrand" this thread as well as bring it back on topic as a place to announce LV and LV-related book announcements.

Now for the news - For those of you wo haven't been keeping tabs on it (or didn't even know), Morning Sun Books has given the release date of March 1st 2008 for the new LVRR Facilities, New York Divsion (New York City to Lehighton) - In Color, by the one and only Mike Bednar.  

http://www.morningsunbooks.com/anthracitecat5.html

I know I have spoken out (and not in a positive way) recently on the topic of Morning Sun Books, and the latest LV offering in particular, but they could jack the price up on this book 10 fold, and I'd still buy it. Their Facilities Series, in particular the Erie and DL&W offerings, have been nothing short of spectacular.
Mike B., with VERY few exceptions (some of them here on this very forum), is the go-to man of everything LV, but not like I need to tell any of you that.

There will be two more volumes to be released down the road (dates escape me right now) to cover the rest of the railroad.

And no, I am not in anyway connected to the book, I'm just a fan.

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #9 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 1:51pm »

While we are on the subject of LV books, can anyone recommend a book showing the LV operations in the Wilkes Barre, PA area? I am especially interested in the Canal Branch and the interchange with the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley RR.

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 1:41am »

Gentlemen, I hope I'm not putting this query in the wrong thread however, are there any good references detailing the Towanda/Dushore State Line & Sullivan operations?  

I'm mainly interested in this from the Susquehanna & New York perspective (see my thread in the Fallen Short Lines forum http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts;action=display;num=1176941950 ) but the Kaseman book on the S&NY does not talk much about the shared trackage/trackage rights between the S&NY and LV.  

Any input would be most appreciated!

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2013, 10:58am by Charlie Ricker » Logged
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 8:20am »

on Feb 6th, 2008, 1:51pm, Maurice wrote:       (Click here for original message)
While we are on the subject of LV books, can anyone recommend a book showing the LV operations in the Wilkes Barre, PA area? I am  
especially interested in the Canal Branch and the interchange with the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley RR.

Hello Maurice,
Not much info out there regarding this that I have been able to dig up.

I do find people mixing up the location of the Wilkes Barre Canal Track Branch and the main line a good deal. I would think this is due to the CNJ Canal Branch and the LV Main paralleling each other under the WBE/D&H at one time.

1951 ETT lists  
PP&l
PP&l Wash St
Dorrance Colliery
Miner Hillard Siding
Water St Siding

E Miller states Interchange with LV listed at Wilkes Barre it seems very little actual car movements took place.

Lehigh Valley Railroad - A Pictorial Review, by Ed Gardner has picture of 2117 4-6-2 sitting behind the Court house supplying it steam with L&WV tracks with overhead wires in the shot.

RR

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:54pm »

Maurice, in addition to the LV Canal branch running parallel to the LW&V, the Lehigh Valley Coal Company had a narrow gauge line that connected the Prospect Colliery (near the present day Cross Valley Expressway) and the Dorrance Colliery.  If you walk down behind the McDonalds by the WBC bridge in Plains, you can three sets of bridge abutments where the LV, the LVCC and the LW&V all crossed Mill Creek.  PP&L actually turned one of the ROW's into an access road to their transformer station.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
RSDCPA
Railfan
Re: New LV Books

« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 6:17am »

I got the new LV facilities book Wed and am enjoying it. Cant wait for the others!

Ralph S. DeBlasi
Lehigh Valley Railroad - Wyoming Division
Throttle 8...Don't be late
Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 5:42pm »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 6:29pm, BlackDiamondRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi all,
   Just as info, there will be another photo  book coming on the LVRR, due out in mid March '08.  
    My good friend Ken Kraemer from the Buffalo area has done several other photo books and this will be his first LV effort. There is no price listed yet but the cover can be seen at http://www.rrtraxstudios.com   I believe it will be mostly west end content.  
                        Bud Rindfleisch

Guys,

The book that Bud talks about was released today.  One was up on ebay and went fast.  You can order your copy by going to the rrtraxstudios website.  I did it earlier today and it was no problem.

Harry

MKohan
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:20pm »

Ken Kraemer's new book arrived today. All I can say is WOW! For anyone who wants to see the LV's West End (and take a photographic journey East), this is a fantastic book! There is a great balance of photos, years of operation, locations, and equipment.  If you are not familar with Kraemer's work, you will find he has more than a knack for great composition. I plan to bury my nose it over the next few days. Its loaded with memories!

bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:30am »

I just ordered a copy for my 30th Birthday, which happens to be on the 31st of March, 1978, 2 years to the day that the LV ceased operation when it was absorbed by Conrail.  Growing up in Rochester, NY and spending lots of time in Buffalo, Ithaca and points in between on LV branch lines, I can't wait to see this.  I enjoyed Mike B.'s book on the Wyoming and Buffalo division's very much.

Brooks

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
MKohan
Enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:25am »

My bud Bud dropped off his copy of Mike Bednar's new LV Facilities Vol. I on Saturday. I am going to order my copy today. We are very luck to have guys like Ken and Mike working to get these books published. I think I read every word of Mike's book three times last night. Great stuff!

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Time For A Shameless Plug!
  cover.jpg - 28590 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 3:40pm »

Due out later this year from Arcadia Publishing -

And when it comes out, I will be man enough to take all the nitpicking that comes with this kind of thing!

RAH

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/cover.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2009, 3:41pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 3:54pm »

When is it due out and do you know what the price will be Ralph? I'm looking forward to it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »