Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 12:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV MOW vehicles
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV MOW vehicles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV MOW vehicles  (Read 2291 times)
ferlen

View Profile  

LV MOW vehicles

« on: Apr 14th, 2007, 7:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does anyone have photos of LV MOW vehicles? Fairmont motor cars or hi-rail trucks?

Lorenzo
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: LV MOW vehicles

« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 5:19pm »

From Mike Bednar's Lehigh Valley Railroad: The Wyoming and Buffalo Divisions:

1. page 27- motorcar #7418 at Little Bear Creek in 1972

2. page 29- putt putt(?) motor car #7423 at Penn Haven in 1969.
NOTE: Bednar says LV modernized the MOW fleet with hi-rail vehicles by the early '70s.

From Trackside Around Buffalo:

1. page 64- panel truck at Alden on March 22, 1976
NOTE: yes, LV crews were tending to the tracks until the end!

It's not much, but I hope it helps!  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 10:48am »

Ferlen,
     I have a slide that I bought a long time ago of a MofW truck parked next to one of the camp cars. There is no caption so I don't know the location or date of the photo. The truck is a chevy or GMC early to mid 50's vintage with full length side tool boxes. It is nicely painted in Cormell Red with a flag decal on the door. Once I get my slides onto a disc I will be able to share with the forum.
                 Bud Rindfleisch

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 11:25pm »

While not exactly on topic, when my father was Chief Mechanical officer in the mid sixties he pestered the railroad for a company car as he needed transportation when visiting various points on the system. Since passenger service had ended his options were to ride engine cabs or use his E-L pass and arrange transportation back to LV property. The road finaly relented and he got his company vehicle, a 66 Chevy Biscayne (base model to the Impala) that in typical LV fashion was as stripped down as a car could be. It was black on black, dog dish hubcaps on blackwall tires, cheap vinyl seats, not even air conditioning. Of course in our family it became known as the "untouchables car" from the fifties TV series as it looked like a detectives car!  

Lee

Red Rims and Tuscan centuries forever!
BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 10:52pm »

Lee,
     That '66 Biscayne did it have "three on the tree"? Can't believe the Lehigh would even spring for Powerglide!
            Bud

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 11:18pm »

Bud, I'm quite sure it did have an automatic, probably its only option. My dad also had aftermarket air conditioning installed under the dash which if you kept it cool enough for the rest of the occupants, the front passenger would get frostbite from the air blowing directly on them.

Lee

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 11:40am »

A LV company pickup truck, with a big LV flag on the door,
sat in a backyard in Sayre until about 1987.
I have a picture of it..somewhere..I will see if I can dig it up.

Scot

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian
  LV_TRUCK_2.jpg - 46864 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:11pm »

Here is a trip to the way-back machine. Lehigh Valley delivery truck from 1925. This one was used from Geneva to Sayre to perform the LCL tasks normaly done by a way freight. The way freight was abolished and the Ithaca pickup took over the switching of carload freight. At the same time thay also discontinued the Sayre- Wysox way freight and started a motor truck LCL route between Wilkes Barre and Glen Summit. Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, the only freight I can read the name on in the truck is two boxes of clothes pins! I also have no idea of the manufacturer of the truck but it only cost $825.00 new

Lee

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_TRUCK_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gfluck1
Historian
  MOW_crewcar.jpg - 60073 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 11:04am »

Recently obtained photo, I believe this may be a Plymouth?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/MOW_crewcar.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gfluck1
Historian
  MOW.jpg - 50316 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 11:08am »

I got no idea on this one!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/MOW.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 4:28pm »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 11:04am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Recently obtained photo, I believe this may be a Plymouth?

The area in the photo looks like Mountain Top (Gracedale).

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 5:48pm »

on Jul 21st, 2011, 11:08am, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I got no idea on this one!

1964 Ford Galaxy wagon.

Scot

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:15am »

First one is a '64 or so Plymouth Belvidere,second one is a '64 Galaxie,like Scot said.Can't remember exactly which video it's on,but there's a trip in the winter with a high rail car from Lehighton to White Haven,the car was a pretty nice black '69 or '70 Plymouth Fury 4 door with a black vinyl top.They also has a 4 door '68 or so 4wd Dodge crew cab truck,[4 doors..] it was pretty close to Penn Central green with a red LV flag on the door.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 11:13am »

The Video LV Lou is referring to is "Vignettes of the Lehigh Valley, Volume 1" from Clear Block productions.. I got a copy of it a few years ago..not sure if it's still in production...

vtm
Chaser
  LV_Hi-Rail_Cortland_NY.jpg - 23730 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:30pm »

Attached in service on EC&N inspection trip Cortland to Canastota, NY.

Photographer unknown.

VT Milliken Collection

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Hi-Rail_Cortland_NY.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:23pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 2:11pm, LEHIGHVALLEE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 Here is a trip to the way-back machine. Lehigh Valley delivery truck from 1925. This one was used from Geneva to Sayre to perform the LCL tasks normaly done by a way freight. The way freight was abolished and the Ithaca pickup took over the switching of carload freight. At the same time thay also discontinued the Sayre- Wysox way freight and started a motor truck LCL route between Wilkes Barre and Glen Summit. Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, the only freight I can read the name on in the truck is two boxes of clothes pins! I also have no idea of the manufacturer of the truck but it only cost $825.00 new

Lee

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22nd, 2011, 3:29pm »

Lee,

This picture was actually taken at the Wilkes-Barre Freight Station on February 20, 1926.  I have another shot from a slightly different angle and the radiator emblem can be read.  It reads GMC.  The typed caption on the photo says " View of L.V. Truck No. 2, taken at Wilkes-Barre Freight Station, Feb. 20, 1926".  The placement of the loads on the truck in both pictures is identical as is the location of the refrigerator car in the background.

harry

Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

LV7349-2.jpg - 55697 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27th, 2011, 9:57am »

on Apr 14th, 2007, 7:03pm, ferlen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone have photos of LV MOW vehicles? Fairmont motor cars or hi-rail trucks?

Not sure what a Fairmont motor car is, but here is a speeder. If this is what you want, I have another one.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (55697 bytes, 1024x822 pixels)

Click Here to View Image LV7349-2.jpg - 55697 Bytes

Ray Stilwell
lehighboy
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27th, 2011, 4:29pm »

Hey guys,

The fairmont motor car and a string of attached push trucks where the vehicles of choice on the Towanda section gang when I hired out there in 1973.
We would use it go to perform tamping, tie changes or broken rail replacement in the cuts @ Wysox to Standing Stone (Queen Ester Flats) cross river, Rummerfield to Wylusing and the occasional run from Towanda to Laceyville.
Very cool ride in winter, refreshing in the summer.they also had an old Chevy section truck (Dark Green) w/ LV flag decals on the doors and a chickhen coop inserted in the rear bed for us to ride in w a small box heater.

ferlen

View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Aug 1st, 2011, 9:33am »

Thanks for the photos, especially of the hi-rail cars. I remember the gray Lehigh Valley 4 door Dodge trucks, as I live by the old Valley and my uncle lived in Laurel Run by the tracks as well. I guess all the Fairmonts were orange with a number and that's it? I wonder if any LV trucks or cars are still around.

Lorenzo
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »