Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 9:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY  (Read 1429 times)
ClearBoard
Railfan
Re: LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 5:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Almost forgot…

The Lehigh Valley Railroad Issue by Charles Fisher (1932), Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Bulletin 42, pp 4 – 64.

The Lehigh Valley Issue by John White, Editor (1972), Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Bulletin 126, pp 3 – 119.

ClearBoard

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 10:13pm »

In addition:

A Pictorial Review Lehigh Valley Railroad Vols. I thru V by Ed Gardner.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 8:35am »

on Dec 29th, 2010, 5:16pm, ClearBoard wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wondered if I was gonna get a rise from ya?

CB

Well, seriously, I do hope you enjoyed your Christmas gift! Maybe 2011 will see a volume 2 if I can get the gumption up to do it.

RAH

One down, one to go.......
henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 7:31pm »

on Aug 14th, 2010, 5:28pm, Douglass_Wm_List wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone know what became of Robert Archer?

No, but if you google up "robert archer," be prepared to wade through many pages of hits. Apparently there are/were a *lot* of people with that name!

It is strange that he wrote the definitive LV history and apparently has never been heard from again by the railfan community!

Palmyra
Enthusiast

« Reply #24 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 11:22pm »

Mr. Heiss,
   I am writing a book on the early history of the Black Diamond Express and in your book published by Arcadia there was a photo of a wreck of the Black Diamond, I believe, at  Easton, I believe, on Feb. 12, 1907. The New York Times reported the following day:
      Girder Saves Passengers
   Part of Lehigh Valley Train in Danger
       of Plunging Over Bridge

Easton, Penn., Feb. 12. - An iron girder extending above the track this afternoon saved at least two cars of the Lehigh Valley's west-bound Black Diamond Express from going over the side of the Delaware Bridge and into the river, seventy feet below.  The two last cars were derailed in a manner that seems to mystify railroad men.
     The first of the derailed cars ran along the ties for a distance of about 25 yards. The others swerved to the right and ran to the very edge of the bridge. The women shrieked and the men rushed towards the doors. Some were prevented from jumping out. Several persons were slightly injured by broken glass.

henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:03pm »

The original edition of Archer's LV history was published by Howell- North in 1977. I own a copy of the 1978 Howell-North second printing. (The Heimberger House edition was a later reprint, as Howell-North went out of business.) The price sticker on the dust jacket of my copy says $30, which I take it was the original price; I paid $70 IIRC for mine, used, in pristine condition, during the interim period before the later reprint. I think I bought it from the late Paul Kuehner (Rails 'n' Shafts) at an Ag Hall train show, but it might have been from Charlie Houser when he was still dealing at Ag Hall. This was quite a few years ago, probably in the late '80s-early '90s.

Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: Dec 31st, 2012, 9:52am »

I would like to humbly add my own work to this list....

If you enjoyed the Archer book, you'll probably enjoy my book, which covers the last chapter of Archer's book in far greater detail.  Archer essentially gives up when passenger service ends - there are only 14 pages after that.  Here's a much more in-depth look at 1965-1976....

LEHIGH VALLEY - The Final Years: 1965-1976 by Rudy Garbely
Available at www.garbelypublishing.com

- Rudy Garbely
Repairs & Service, Atlas Model Railroad Company
Owner & Editor-in-Chief, The Garbely Publishing Company
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »