Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 29th, 2017, 8:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY  (Read 1407 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY

« on: Feb 12th, 2006, 5:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I wanted to start this as it's own stand alone thread, so I've moved it here, in case anybody is confused......

OK, gang!  

I started this idea here back in December, but I really didn't folow through with it.  Now that the snow has fallen and the shoveling is over with, I thought I'd restart my attempt of putting together a bibliography of available LV books out there for my fellow modelers and ferroequineologists to enjoy.    

As I had originally stated in the other thread -
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=LV;action=display;num=1134402498
a lot of us don't either have the space or money (or both) to have every book out there devoted to our favorite railroad, so I thought this would be a good way to "try before you buy", and firstly to put the list out there for all to see what is available, and secondly, to provide short reviews, so those of us with limited funds can maximize our purchase dollars on the RIGHT book for us.    

This is by all means a work in progress, and I know I am missing a lot of books in my own collection, but that's where you all come in. All I ask is to PLEASE look over the thread as it grows, so as to not duplicate a book listing. If you just want to list some book titles that you know are written about the LV, or even LV-related (like the popular Morning Sun "In Color" series, that feature the LV among others), that's fine, but if you have the time and wherewithal to write your own "review", that's even better!! Discussion of reviews is encouraged, but let's keep it civil, folks.  

I hope this will prove to be an ever increasing database of info for all of us LV fans.    

Ralph Heiss  
S. Plainfield, NJ

One down, one to go.......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY Pt.1

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 5:47pm »

I've included some entries from my collection to start us off....... (mostly main stream stuff, not too many obscure references, but good ones none the less)  

Lehigh Valley Railroad, The New York Division  
Written By Mike Bednar  
Published By Garrigues House, 1993  
Hard Cover, 138 Pages, Color Photos  
MSRP - $?  
(review to follow)  

Lehigh Valley Railroad, The Wyoming And Buffalo Divisions  
Written By Mike Bednar  
Published By Garrigues House, 2003  
Hard Cover, 144 Pages, Color Photos  
MSRP - $?  
(review to follow)  

The Steam Era Of The Lehigh Valley RR  
Written by Chuck Yungkurth  
Published By Andover Publications, 1991  
Soft Cover, 112 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP ?  
(review to follow)  

A Lehigh gorge Pictoral  
Written By The Anthracite Hist. Society  
Published By The ARHS, 1989  
Soft Cover, 45 Pages, Color Photos  
MSRP $17.00 at time of release  
**Released As A Special 2 Issue Edition (Vol. 8, No. 3 & 4) of FD&S)**  
(review to follow)  

The Northeast Railroad Scene, Vol.1 - The Lehigh Valley  
Written by Bob Pennisi  
Published By Railroad Ave. Enterprises, 1976  
Soft Cover, 60 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP ? **(Out Of Print)**  
(review to follow)  

Lehigh Valley Memories  
Written by David Marcham  
Published By The DeWitt Historical Society Of Tompkins County, 1998  
Soft Cover, 88 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP $20.00  
(review to follow)  

The Gangly Country Cousin  
Written by Herbert V. Trice  
Published By The DeWitt Historical Society Of Tompkins County, 2004  
Soft Cover, 160 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP $30.00  
(review to follow)  

The Hndsomest Trains In The World  
Written by William T. Greenberg And Frederick A. Kramer, With Theodore F. Gleichmann, Jr.  
Published By Bellls And Whistles, 1978  
Soft Cover, 120 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP ?  
(review to follow)  

The Lehigh Valley RR - East Of Mauch Chunk  
Written by William T. Greenberg And Robert F. Fischer  
Published By The Gingerbread Stop, 1997  
Hard Cover, 192 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP $50.00  
(review to follow)  

Lehigh Valley RR - In Color  
Written by Robert J. Yanosey  
Published By Morning Sun Books, 1989  
Hard Cover Cover, 128 Pages, Color Photos  
MSRP $?  
(review to follow)  

Lehigh Valley RR 2 - In Color  
Written by Robert J. Yanosey  
Published By Morning Sun Books, 1991  
MSRP $?  
(review to follow)  

Lehigh Valley RR 3 - In Color  
Written by Jeremy F. Plant And Richard T. Steinbrenner  
Published By Morning Sun Books, 1999  
MSRP $?  
(review to follow)  

And of course.........  

A Histroy Of The Lehigh Valley Railroad - "Route Of The Black Diamond"  
Written by Robert F. Archer  
Published By Heimburger House Publishing Company, 1977  
Hard Cover Cover, 372 Pages, B&W Photos  
MSRP $?  
(review to follow)  

There's a few more in my collection that I can't find right now, but hopefully somebody else will fill in the blanks.    

This should start us off, now let's hear back from all of you, and see what's on your bookshelves!  

Ralph H.  

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: LV BOOK BIBLIOGRAPHY

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:17pm »

Of the above, I have The Gangly Country Cousin, Lehigh Valley In Color, Lehihg Valley Railroad: Wyoming & Buffalo Divisions and Steam Era Of The Lehigh Valley.

Here are my additions:

Niagara By Rail
Niagara By Rail II
Niagara By Rail III -all by Peter Jericho
c.1993 (all three) / soft cover / published by Coldwaters Press.
NOTE: features pictures of western NY RRing, including LV and the Buffalo Creek RR. Probably out of print but seen at train shows.

Railroaders In The Lehigh River Valley by Michael Bednar
c.2005 / soft cover / published by The Railroad Press  
NOTE: covers the area of its title from the 1950s to the '90s

Trackside Sayre-Townada-Waverly by Jeremy Plant and Bill Caloroso (with Lloyd Hall)
c.2003 / hard cover / published by Morning Sun Books
NOTE: has some excellent COLOR pictures of LV steam!    

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2006, 8:14pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
JBS
Chaser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 7:34am »

Trackside around Buffalo 1953-1976 with Ray Richards, Reg Button & Devan Lawton by Stephan M Koenig

Devan Lawton didn't spend the last few hours of March 31, 1976 with his employer EL, instead he spent them at the LV and captured literally the last few seconds of the LV on film. A must have for LV fans IMO.

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:08pm »

Anybody ever hear of TIES TO THE PAST by Panorama out of Hazelton Pa.? Good LV and other shots/Freeland/Hazelton/Beaver Medow/McAdoo/Delano/Jeddo/
Weatherly/Hudsondale/Cranberry/Buck Mtn/Tamaqua/Gum Run/Ashmore and more.
Found it at local restaurant for $12.00

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 7:58pm »

I purchased Lehigh Valley In Color Vol. 2 and Trackside Buffalo at the RIT train show today, and they are valuable additions to my LV library.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2007, 11:21pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 2:48pm »

Anyone who is interested in steam power ought to check out thi item on e-bay, 330041104317 Eastern steam pictorial. It has excellent coverage of the LV, CNJ, Erie, D&H, DL&W, O&W, L&HR, LNE and Reading. The book is by Bert Pennypacker and published by P&D Carleton. This one doesn't show up often and right now it has five hours left for bidding and is still at a reasonable price (21.00),if you like Anthracite steam bid on this book, it's a wonderful reference.

Red Rims and Tuscan centuries forever!
LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 10:11am »

Another heads up for a rare LV book on ebay. "Rails North" by central NY chapter R&LHS circa 1971. Soft cover not a large book but has some nice pictures of the NY state branchlines and mainlines. Item # 230068379179
                Lee

Red Rims and Tuscan centuries forever!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 11:30pm »

New additions after attending the RIT Tiger Tracks train show today:  

Lehigh Valley Memories by David Marcham
c.1998 / soft cover / published by DeWitt Historical Society of Tompkins County
NOTE: photos and text by a former LV employee. This book covers LV operations in the Finger Lakes. Excellent read.  

Lehigh Valley In Color: Volume 3 -which I haven't opened yet.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

pontiac59
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2007, 9:32pm »

Since this was written, Lehigh Valley In Color 4 is out, which has a shot in it I loaned to the author.  

Missing entirely:  Upstate Oddesey: The Lehigh Valley Railroad in Western New York by Mary Hamilton Dann (Railroad Research Publications, 1997).

LV In Color 1 is out of print.

The CNY NRHS book, Rails North, is if not out of print close to out of stock and due for a revision and upgrade.

LV319

« Reply #10 on: May 26th, 2008, 9:26am »

The Dryden Town Historical Society published a book in 2000, titled "From Richford's Rails to Freeville Stationmaster: Ken Rice Remembers"

It is an eighty eight page soft cover book that was printed by Cayuga Press of Ithaca, Inc. and edited by Elsie Gutchess.

This book is the recollections of Mr. Rice at the age of 75 (1984) at which time he audio taped his memories and gave copies to his railroad buddies and friends.  The DTHS used not only the audio tapes, but interviewed many LV employees to provide a very personal look at the Southern Central/LehighValley operations in Central New York.

All Photos taken by Mark A. Fritz, unless otherwise noted, All rights reserved.
DElder
Chaser

« Reply #11 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 12:06am »

Just a quick FYI, but I e-mailed the Dryden Town Historical Society to ask if copies of this book are still available.  I received a quick reply that they do indeed have quite a few copies still available, and that they'd send me a mail order form.  No idea yet on what this costs or its contents, but I'll get a copy and report back later....sounds like this may be an interesting first-hand account of LV railroading around central NY.
   Doug

The_Swede
Chaser

« Reply #12 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 11:32am »

Just a note that the Historical Center in Ithaca (formerly DeWitt...) has a new book out on the EC&N branch called "The Up & Down Branch", by one of the Marchams.   It is $19.95 or so plus mailing.  See their website.    John S.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 1:27pm »

Or, you could just click here and go right to the page...............

http://www.thehistorycenter.net/news/rural_line.html

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 7:58pm »

The "Pictorial Guides" published by the Valley Railroad Museum, Sayre PA, in the 1980's still show up occasionally..

They are thin soft-cover books, 32 to 40 pages, and each page contains a 8x10 B&W photo..photos from mostly around Waverly/Sayre/Athens, LV, Erie and DL&W, but a few other places as well..
mostly photos, not much in the way of text..nice little books when you can find them! (I have owned a set ever since they came out!

"A Pictorial Review, Sayre Pennsylvania on the Lehigh Valley Railroad"
Published by the Valley Railroad Museum, Sayre PA.
with photos from the museum collection, published over a few years
in the mid 1980's.

Volume I
Volume II
Volume III
Volume IV
Volume V - All Diesel Issue
Volume VI

and actually, I believe there is a volume VII, which I dont have..
I dont know why I never got VII..it might have come out after I left for College and was no longer an active museum member..

Scot

Douglass_Wm_List
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #15 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 5:28pm »

Does anyone know what became of Robert Archer?

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Dec 27th, 2010, 9:02pm »

Check this one out:

http://tinyurl.com/2cwyykj

Looks like another reprint of an actual LV publication..(a few of these have come out over the last few years..)
but what is bizzare is the cover!
apparently no one could be bothered to do 2 minutes worth of research to see what mountains looks like in Pennsylvania!  

"yeah..there are some mountains there I think..just find a photo of a mountain and slap it on the cover"..."a castle on the mountain? sure why not..who cares? mountains are mountains..they are all the same.."

Fail.  

Scot

ClearBoard
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 11:00am »

Listing references was a great idea.

A few additional sources of regional info:

Railroads in the Lehigh Valley by Randolph Kulp (first edition 1952, revised 1962, 1974, and 1976), Lehigh Valley Chapter of the NRHS, Inc., 128 pages – back in the day this was one of the few publications available for the namesake Lehigh Valley area.  It’s still available via train shows.

ALCO’s to Allentown by Thomas A Biery, The Railroad Press, 1998, 111 pages – soft cover with many Valley shots throughout the book.

Lehigh Valley 4 by Michell Dakelman, Morning Sun Books, 2007, 128 pages – was mentioned earlier, but here’s more info.  

Trackside around Allentown, PA 1947-1968 with Arthur Angstadt by Jeremy Plant, Morning Sun Books, 2001, 128 pages – steam and diesel era photos with neighboring anthracite carriers in the greater Allentown area.

Trackside around the Pennsylvania Cement District by Mike Bednar and Ken Bealer, Morning Sun Books, 2010, 128 pages – told Mike that this was his best work, maybe because the book focuses on his “home” area or it’s a culmination of years of work.  The book examines bread and butter railroading in the railroad’s namesake area.

Lehigh Valley Facilities volume 1: New York Division by Mike Bednar, Morning Sun Books, 2008, 128 pages.

Lehigh Valley Facilities volume 2: Wyoming Division by Mike Bednar, Morning Sun Books, 2009, 128 pages.

Lehigh Valley Facilities volume 3: Buffalo Division by Mike Bednar, Morning Sun Books, 2009, 128 pages.

Lehigh Valley Railroad Company’s Barber Quarry Branch 1883 -1990 by David Latshaw, 1988 in Proceedings of the Lehigh County Historical Society, volume 38, pages 166 – 219 – detailed info for branchline operation in the Allentown area. I acquired my copy via “fleaBay” several years ago.  It’s also available via Allentown area libraries.

Lehigh Valley Railroad West End Branch 1001-1982 by David Latshaw, 1992 in Proceedings of the Lehigh County Historical Society, volume 40, pages 255 – 314 – as above.

The Lehigh Valley Railroad across New Jersey by Ralph Heiss, 2009, Arcadia Publishing, 127 pages – a copy arrived under our tree this Christmas  

Several additional sources of equipment info are:

Lehigh Valley Passenger Cars, Photo and Diagram Book No. 1 by Mickey and Warfel, 1980, Railroad Avenue Enterprises, 64 pages – this early publication is an excellent source for model / prototype info.

Lehigh Valley Railroad Diesel Paint Schemes (1925 – 1976) by Carl Steckler, 1993, Hiker Publications (Ithaca). 91 pages - soft cover spiral bound book listing detail engine info with black & white photos (wish they could have been color). No mechanical drawings.  

CNJ/LV Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment by Craig Bossler, 1994, Morning Sun Books, 128 pages – good source of freight car data, photographs, modeling info, etc.  No mechanical drawings.  

Lehigh Valley Freight and Passenger Equipment by Eric Neubauer, 1996, Freight Cars Journal Monograph Number 33, 30 pages – soft cover spiral bound book listing detail car data, no illustrations, mechanical drawings, or photos.

Untitled – a collection of 11” x 17” mechanical drawings (blue lines) from the Archives of the ARHS (1920s – 1960s), unpaged – 39 sheets.  An excellent source of car detail / mechanical drawings – found my copy at the Lehigh Valley Chapter NRHS Fall Trainshow at Allentown (Dieruff) during the late 80s or early 90s (?)

Bethlehem Steel Railroading by Nervin Yeakel, 2008, The Railroad Press, 56 pages –paper back with photos and maps of the “Steel”. This one is included because the industry was a huge revenue generator located along the main line in the Valley’s namesake area – back in the day, before being relocated; the mainline actually went through the middle of the Lehigh plant.

Hope this helps - excuse any inadvertent repetition.  

Thanks,

ClearBoard

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 4:51pm »

on Dec 29th, 2010, 11:00am, ClearBoard wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Lehigh Valley Railroad across New Jersey by Ralph Heiss, 2009, Arcadia Publishing, 127 pages – a copy arrived under our tree this Christmas.

Hey Clear Board, if you want, send your copy to NJ and I'll autograph it for you! Hope you enjoyed it!

RAH

ClearBoard
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 5:16pm »

Wondered if I was gonna get a rise from ya?

CB

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »