Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 9:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Fan Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Fan Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Fan Roll Call  (Read 6898 times)
Station_Agent
Enthusiast
Re: LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #80 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 10:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I guess its about time I jumped in here...My name is Frank and I grew up in NJ along
the LVRR from mile posts 59 thru 67....as a youngsters we grew up and played along
the tracks and new every engineer by his whistle or horn....remember going to get
the mail sack as it was thrown from the mail car spent time in the Bellwood tower
as I knew the tower men....the tunnel walker.....I even as a kid with my father walked thru what was left of Bellwood Park....the concrere circle pad for the merry go  round....found bits of china with the logo on it....sad that nothing is left today I
even stood up on top of the tunnel in Pattenburg with my father looking down when
it was a double track.....drank water from  what was left of the water tower in town
my grandfather was a station agent for 45 years ending up in Pittstown (hence my
name)yes I even along with my grandfather took the last ride on the Black Diamond
a special to Canada...wish I had been older....yes it was a great a rail road...today
I live in Aiken SC and it is NS territory.....Happy Holidays to all...SA

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 7:20am »

Welcome aboard Station Agent!
   Sounds like you had a wonderful experience with the Valley in your early years. Please feel free to share more of your stories.
                   Lee

Red Rims and Tuscan centuries forever!
senselessfool
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 12:01pm »

may as well make myself known.. my name is tim, from mountaintop.. i have been a fan of the railroads since i can remember.. ive been on countless excursions, wk&s, strasburg, steamtown to moscow, bmn&r temple to hamburg, tamaqua to mahanoy city, jim thorpe to haucks, even did the conrail switching in coxton when they used to let kids ride in the cab for a day.. grandparents were from hometown so that area i know pretty well.. umm rode behind 425, 2102, cnj f's in jim thorpe, their rs whatever it is when it ran as well as their deteorating steamer.. but yea thats about it.. oh and this site really keeps me busy during work hours

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 1:38pm »

Glad to have you with us Tim, hey, and I don't have to call ya senselessfool anymore. My Momma taught me real good not to call people bad names! That and I now know what the seven tubs are, I was wondering if it was seven ample young ladies standing along route 115!
                 Lee

senselessfool
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 2:49pm »

only when its hot out...

darktown
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #85 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 9:52am »

Hey Tim, Do you know Nick Hollock from Mt. Top He is a retired LV engineer and hangs out at Abe"s hot dog shop. You would know him by his flowered Kromer caps that he has a trade mark on.   Abe's.......Best dogs on the mountain.  Keith

CNJ 2512
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:51pm »

hi guys, i just checked out this thread today for the first time ,and thought i should introduce myself as well! my name is tony and i've been a lifelong resident of the wilkes-barre area for all 20 some years. i got into trains from my dad dragging me trackside all the time growing up and it just got in my blood like that. Most of our time trackside was and still is every now and then spent along the lehigh line, the prr middle div., and the guilford now cp sunbury line,but i find interest in every line and railroad i read about,but the lehigh line is my favorite from lehighton to sayre because of the diverse terrain and scenery. in turn my two favorite railroads are conrail and lehigh valley. I also got to further my interest in the lehigh line , by getting a job banging cars together for the r&n.  other than that, i really enjoy reading and looking at what everyone posts on here, and i'm  glad you guys share it so all these details and knowledge aren't  lost to time.  tony

two dips please
edlvrr
Enthusiast

« Reply #87 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:05pm »

Guess I better officially join the gang.
My name is Ed and I work with da' Aquajock. Actually met him about 1997 riding around with my friend Tony Macareo on the Pitt yard job. Macareo works for the old WC-now CN in Wisconsin.
My great-grandfather, Thomas Gallagher, signed on the LV in 1899 and retired in 1946. During the war he took the John Wilkes to Lehighton then piloted the Asa Packer back.
My grandfather Thomas "Tucker" gallagher signed on in '43 and retired in 75, sadly passing away in 1976. I was born in 1974 so sadly never met him.
Another great-grandfather John Hood worked for the LV at the turn of the century for a spell and a cousin of the Gallaghers, George Mortimer, was killed at Coxton in 1916. He stood for my grandad at his christining.
I love researching anything related to the LV around Pittston and hope to write a book one day. don't hold yer breath I started saying that about 10 years ago.
I've had the luck to know quite a few LV vets from Pittston, many sadly passed on, and their children.
If I ever get a scanner I can post lots of neat stuff.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #88 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:59pm »

Welcome, Ed!

Glad to have you here!

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ  

One down, one to go.......
LV_601
TRAINing

« Reply #89 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 7:19pm »

Good Evening fellow Lehigh Valley Fans.. My name is Jay Edwards.. born in Binghamton, NY and moved to Owego when I was 5. Lived a couple of blocks away from the Erie mainline. The Lehigh's Binghamton run would always come up from Sayre on LV tracks to Owego and then cross over to the EL mainline for the run to Binghamton. Sometime around 1962/63 I was introduced to Guy Rockwell who was the conductor on that run and got to be friends with most of the crew. I rode the train to Binghamton and back several times. From what I can remember the motive power was the PA's 601 and 606 or the 606 with an FA which I can't remember the #. Also managed a ride in one of the new yellow jackets once. What a thrill riding in the engine or the caboose. If I remember right Rocky had a serious heart attack and retired from the Lehigh. My folks moved to Newark Valley in 1966 and between the move and discovering girls I lost track of my Lehigh friends. I joined the Air Force in 1968, was stationed out in Colorado and discovered the Union Pacific's 8444 in the early 70's and have been a fan of UP and all active steam engines since. Moved back to the Owego area in the late 70's and have been here since. Worked at IBM for 23 1/2 years in Endicott until they sold the site and currently work at Rockwell-Collins.  Always have loved the look of the ALCO PA's especially the well used Lehigh Valley's PA's.  

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 11:29am »

Glad to have you guys aboard what I feel is THE place for LV fans, VERY informative and entertaining. Wow, Ed and Tony two more guys from the Wyoming valley, is it something they put in the water to make younger folk want to chase extinct railroads?  

Jay, welcome! Like yourself I really like the PAs on the Valley. Before going to work for the LV my dad was a field rep for ALCo and the 601 is the first diesel he placed in service for the LV. The builders plate for the 601 hangs proud on the wall of my workshop, one small piece of a large locomotive. I often look at it and wonder the stories it could tell if it could talk (if it does start talking I will get help!) Take a look at the thread "They will never be this clean again" on the second page for a photo of the 601 when delivered.

senselessfool
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 4:16pm »

keith, no i dont know him, does he have a son dan, maybe a daughter janet

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2006, 4:17pm by senselessfool » Logged
BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 5:28pm »

Hello,  
    After several tries this cumputer non-whiz finally managed to get logged onto this group.
     My name is Bud Rindfleisch and also one of the "oldtimers" here judging by the roll call, born in Buffalo, NY 1947.

darktown
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 4:15am »

Hello Bud, and welcome to this bunch of crazy people. Don't worry about the computer thing. If you are like me after you put one or two of them through the wall you get the hang of it. HA   For Tim, Nick was an x LV/CR engineer. He hangs out at Abe's hot dog shop. You would know him by his flowered Kromer RR caps that he wears. He lives about a block from the fire house.He is one heck of a guy and can tell you many stories about the railroad. He is now in his 80's but still acting 30. What a guy.    Keith

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 7:48am »

Glad to see you joined up Bud. I've known Bud for 7-8 years now and I'm sure he will be a valuable source of info, a true railfan, an excellent modeler and a good freind. Welcome aboard Bud!

Lee

MKohan
Enthusiast

« Reply #95 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 8:02am »

Bud is a die-hard LV-er! Taking a suggestion from the forum, Bud, myself and my son recently hiked the Lehigh & Lake Erie Branch from the bridge over the former NYC main to Abbott Road, where the NKP handed off the Apollo to the Lehigh. We didn't find much in artifacts, but had a great talking about railroading.

Welcome aboard, Bud! This is a super-helpful group.

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 8:45am »

Hello again guys,
     Well, I'm going to try posting again today and hopefully the entire message gets through. Don't know what happened yesterday.
     Yes, I have a couple good friends on this forum......Hi Lee and Mark! I have been perusing the messages and photos for some time and get much enjoyment from the info herein.
     I am a former LV employee (non glory jobs) I was a yard clerk in 1967 and re-hired in the car dept in 1969, both at Tifft Terminal. It was around that time I became an LV fan also and noted there wasn't much published about the LV at all. That has changed for the better!
     I model in S scale, sort of, having bits and pieces of LV done and having some custom decals done also.
     I currently am a Conductor on the shortline-switching South Buffalo Rwy, having started there 40 yrs ago today. Looking forward to retirement soon and spending much needed time finishing up my LV models!
    Hope to soon be able to share some photos of "west of Sayre"
 Bud Rindfleisch

bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 8:48am »

Bud:

As a big fan of the "West of Sayre" section of the Lehigh Valley, I look forward to those photos, and I am sure that others do as well.

Thanks,
Brooks Parker

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
Henry
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 2:47pm »

Bud,

It's great to have you on board! I was born in Buffalo and have spent most of my life livig here. I can't get enough of LV photos and information from the Buffalo area. There just isn't much in print from this area. I very much look forward to seeing your photos from this area.

If you guys plan any more outings to tramp around the old LV (or any RRs) around Buffalo, please let me know, I love doing rail archeology around here!

Henry

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 6:21pm »

Hi Henry,
     Well here goes again, I hit one key and the message disappears! Anyhow, I kind of thought you were a local guy by some of your posts. Where do you live in the area? I live in the village of Hamburg.
    I hope after the first of the year to host a small LV slide night here for just a few friends, mostly ex LV employees or sons of employees and another railfan buddy of mine. I have roughly three trays of slides and I know one guy will bring some of his taken while working as a fireman. Think he worked mostly at Suspension Bridge.
    Ever get down to The annual "LV memorial Night" held at Guil Mack's in Phelps? I've gone for the past 4 or 5 yrs, always a good show, movies, slides, etc.
        Bud Rindfleisch

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »