Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 11:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Fan Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Fan Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Fan Roll Call  (Read 6882 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Newbie

« Reply #60 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 8:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 4th, 2006, 9:34pm, Sandmanrdv wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My great grandfather also worked on the Lehigh Valley on the road gang out of Sayre. He later became a fireman working for Erie out of the Avoca Yard. He was later called back by the Valley as a fireman, later becoming an Engineer out of the Coxton Yard.

<snipped>

I was also wondering if anyone had any pictures of Erie's yard in Avoca when it was in operation, in my research I have found out it was a fairly large facility, but I have been able to locate very few pictures. I actually used to hunt squirrel and rabbit in the woods where the yard was and there is not too much there to tell you there was ever a yard. There is a few bridge abutments, what looks like an old water tower, and some concrete sticking out of the ground, possibly the foundation of a building or perhaps the roundhouse. There is a few rail sidings from what I remember. The property was recently sold as a Keystone Opportunity Zone. I believe it is some type of intermodal station. I plan on taking a walk to take some pictures and investigate. Off topic but also at the end of the street I grew up on was the former Erie tracks that the Pocono Northeast shortline used to service Schott Optical, Topps Chewing Gum and a magazine factory in Hughestown.

Welcome aboard! You're more than welcome to discuss the Avoca yard in the Erie/EL forum.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian
Re: LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #61 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 8:27pm »

Hello to all,
  My name is Lee Turner. I was born in Sayre in 1957 into a railroad mans family, it seemed when I was growing up that everything around the house had LVRR stamped or printed on it! My father started working for the LV in 1948 as a young twenty two year old fresh out of the Navy and 3 hard years as a field rep for Alco. When Alco sent him along to place the PA-1's in service,Ernie Lehr, the superintendent of motive power took a liking to my dad and the Valley hired him as superintendent of diesel locomotives. Little did my dad know that within three years of his hire date there would be nothing but diesels on the valley. My early memories of Sayre are taking my dad to work driving down alongside the shops with lines of cornell red locomotives waiting thier turn in the shop. I have vivid memories of Alco cab units with black smoke pouring from them as they were being moved around the service tracks. Sundays after church my dad would sometimes go to the shops to check on things and if I pestered him enough he would usually take me along and sit me up in the cab of a loco in for service and I could play engineer while he did what ever he needed to do. Another fond memory is my first 7 course meal, served on business car 353 sitting in the middle of the shops! My eighth birthday was dinner at Yanuzzis pizza (Scot L knows what I'm taking about!) and then down to the shops to see the first of the  C-628's and to run them back and forth on the tracks behind the shops, instantly the 625, 626, 627 became MY locomotives and I was crushed less than a month  later when the same trio was wrecked at Laurel Run. I got my first Lionel  Christmas 1962 and soon was a model railroader as well. I was blessed with such a close relationship to the LV that it's no small wonder I became a lifelong fan. In 1968 my father could see that the road was failing fast and from connections he made when the Valley swapped C-420's for GP-35's with the DT&I he took the position of Cheif Mechanical officer  here in Michigan and thats where my first hand view of the Valley ended. I got back on a trip to Sayre in 1972 and was depressed to find my old friend the 200 along with the last of the cab units in the dead line and thats when I realized my old freind was fading fast. My next trip back was in the early 80's and the LV was gone. I now live in the metro Detroit area and work in the auto biz, go figure , but I keep the memory of the Valley alive by building models in O-scale as accurately as I possibly can. I really enjoy reading your posts and any day I can learn more about the LV is a good day!

Red Rims and Tuscan centuries forever!
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 9:45pm »

Lee -

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your memories with us. This is a prime example of how we can all keep the memory of the Valley alive in 2006 and beyond, especially for those of us who didn't grow up along the LV, or are too young to have ever seen the railroad in action.

Ralph Heiss, "Moderator #3"
Originally from DL&W territory, now smack in the middle of the LV's in S. Plainfield, NJ

One down, one to go.......
RSDCPA
Railfan

« Reply #63 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 8:05pm »

Lee, welcome.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2006, 8:06pm by RSDCPA » Logged

Ralph S. DeBlasi
Lehigh Valley Railroad - Wyoming Division
Throttle 8...Don't be late
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 8:48pm »

Welcome Lee,
That's one heck of a good story. Feel free to share more of them because I was only 7 when LV ended operations, so my memories are few.  Although I have lived in EL country my entire life, LV has also had a special place in my heart because of its uniquely colorful operations. Do you have an LV-inspired layout or just models for display?

Matt Langworthy

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:18am »

Thanks, guys for the warm welcome.
To Greg, Yes Ernie Lehr was quite a railroader, he was a real mentor to my father and a good family friend, his daughter Charlotte was my babysitter. Also when Ernie left the LV we almost bought his house which I would have loved, he had a wood caboose in the back yard for a playhouse! I know who Vic Cole is but did not know him well. My favorites were John Heck a foreman in the shops who was close enough to call uncle  John and George Bruno who was foreman of the laborers in the shop. George was a real character but he could always use his connections to obtain just about anything! When Ernie Lehr left for the PRR in the early 60's my dad called him to see if they could get some spare parts, George went down to pick them up and came back with two truckloads!  
   To Matt, I don't have a LV themed layout but I do have a Lionel layout that my son and I work on, my LV models are so highly detailed that someone can always knock something off. My current project is a large diorama of  a part of the Sayre shop, it measures 33"x42" and is the northeast corner of the building where the diesel running repair section is. If you look in either Chuck Yungkurths book or The Handsomest Trains in the world book there is a photo of exactly the area I am modeling. I have all of the steel work assembled and am now working on laying track on the pits. It is a massive project that will probably take a couple of years to complete. Also Matt I posted some additional info on the photo you posted in the locomotive and rolling stock forum of the LV PA-1 613 under the "most beautiful classic diesel paint scheme" thread.  
                    Lee

FrankieJ
Enthusiast

« Reply #66 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:17pm »

My name is Frank (as if you couldn't figure that out) and I am one of the oldsters at 53 years young.I was born near Wilkes-Barre,Pa and remember the LV very well. I lived there until 1970 when I left for the Navy. Five years later,I went back home to find the LV just about done.

The lack of jobs in the area meant that I had to "vacate the premisis" once again. At least I found myself living in Bound Brook,NJ-right near the LV mainline! Not too terrible a move after all.

In  the year 1989, another move took me to South Jersey. No LV here-except for the HO models that will someday grace the layout that I plan to build someday.

Hey Ralph Diblasi, since I live in the town next to you,are you looking for any operators to help run your LV layout? Contact me here if you do.

Okay, so why do I have a D&H herald? I model that road as well. Along with a bit of the CNJ, PRR and EL-the RRs that I "grew up with" in the Wilkes-Barre area. The LV and D&H share the number 1 spot on my list of favorite RRs.

So, that's all I have for now.

Frank

Frank
FrankieJ
Enthusiast

« Reply #67 on: Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:25pm »

on Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:17pm, FrankieJ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My name is Frank (as if you couldn't figure that out) and I am one of the oldsters at 53 years young.I was born near Wilkes-Barre,Pa and remember the LV very well. I lived there until 1970 when I left for the Navy. Five years later,I went back home to find the LV just about done.

The lack of jobs in the area meant that I had to "vacate the premisis" once again. At least I found myself living in Bound Brook,NJ-right near the LV mainline! Not too terrible a move after all.

In †the year 1989, another move took me to South Jersey. No LV here-except for the HO models that will someday grace the layout that I plan to build someday.

Hey Ralph Diblasi, since I live in the town next to you,are you looking for any operators to help run your LV layout? Contact me here if you do.

Okay, so why do I have a D&H herald? I model that road as well. Along with a bit of the CNJ, PRR and EL-the RRs that I "grew up with" in the Wilkes-Barre area. The LV and D&H share the number 1 spot on my list of favorite RRs.

So, that's all I have for now.

Frank

Ralph,
I'm sorry that I misspelled your name.

Frank

Frank
darktown
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:51pm »

Hello everyone. My name is Keith Bednar and I am a LVRR fan and past trainman for the LV and Conrail. I just got back on this forum after a long cool down. I have just moved from West Virginia to Mehoopany, Pa. I like being back home in Pennsylvania. I am retired along with my wife Debbie. I am a station nut and wish I could restore every one out there. I have restored a former P&R station  East Mahanoy Jct. My x wife now lives there. I loved working on the Alco's and wish there were more out there.If Greg is out there please check your email and call me. I have some advice for you!! Ha If it is worth the listen.Thanks to all the people on this forum that keep it running and keep the information headed our way. Take er easy.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:15pm »

Welcome, Keith! I am deeply in debt to you and your brother for the wonderful stories, pics and books about LV and CR. Being just a kid when LV ended operations, I look forward to anything you'd like to share with us.  

P.S. Feel free to visit over in the D&H and Erie/EL forums, too, if you wish.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:57pm »

Hi Keith!

I'm glad you made it back over to the boards here with your brother Danny.....I had lost your e-mail, but I gave Danny my well wishes for your brother Mike and all your families, glad to hear Mike is doing well.

Hope to talk to you soon,

Ralph H.
S. Plainfield, NJ

darktown
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 4:30pm »

Thanks Matthew and Ralph. It is good to be back. Talk at you soon.   Keith Bednar

LehighValley107

« Reply #72 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 11:51pm »

Welcome Everyone!

-C Barany.

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

MKohan
Enthusiast
  rs11_7648.jpg - 22758 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:39am »

Hello Everyone!

I saw an e-mail about "chasing ghosts" on the old LV row, and followed it back to this forum, which I am really glad I found. It must be something in the air, because another LV fan and I are planning on walking the L&LE branch this Thanksgiving weekend.

My name is Mark Kohan. I am 46 and an editor and a graphic artist. My dad, Jon,  was a fireman/engineer on the LV out of Tifft Street. I grew up in Lackawanna, NY with the L&LE Branch in my backyard. I spent many Sundays at Tifft St. in the cab of a switcher. I also was fortunate enough to get a few rides down to Sayre, once on the Apollo and once on the Mercury.

I have several boxes of LV paper. If anyone is looking for a specific piece, let me know and I will see if I have a copy. My dad knew I was a train junkie from the get-go, so he made a point of bringing stuff home for me.

I model the LV in HO scale on my version of the L&LE branch. I am impressed by the number of people who have helped me over the years who I found out are members of this forum. Thanks guys!

I have cousins that worked out Sayre, and my great-uncle, Joe Calveric, was a super here in Buffalo.

Glad I found this forum!

Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/rs11_7648.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Trackbolt
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:06am »

My name is Tony Migliaccio and am in my mid fifties.  I got my start as  a railfan in 1960-61 as a 10 year old during a couple of visits to Sayre's east side where my mom was from.  I spent most of my time during those visits watching trains leave and enter Sayre enter from the walk bridge and buying candy from the JJ Newberry store.  My uncle Ignatius Arcesi was a LV master mechanic at the Sayre shops who sadly died as a result of an explosion in the blacksmith shop in 1967.  He worked his whole life for the LV at Sayre.  During my first visit in 1960,  I remember the tour he gave me on a sunday after church, of the huge erecting hall and other shops and him talking about how much he missed the LV's steam locomotives.   All he could talk about was the LV.  It was his life.

I am in southern MD and have not been up that way since  I took my mom to a Sayre East Side Reunion in 1983.  Hope to get back to the LV soon.  

Thanks for all the replies to my questions and I look forward to all new posts on this forum.

Happy Thanksgiving

Tony

The next best thing to seeing a set of ABBA EMD F-7's is hearing a set of ABBA EMD F-7's
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:02pm »

Lee, Keith, Frank, Mark and Tony,
Glad you all found this site and here is my late Welcome. Your info and bios make some interesting reading. My info was originally put in the CNJ roll call but I have †a traveling bio. I thought since I post alot here I should put it here also. So here it is:

Hello All. I am the XPLORER!!!! My name is Rick . I am 37 and I am from Hanover TWP. (NEPA) . I am an industrial archeologist of sorts and a member of the Nanticoke Historical Society. I love mines and rails, bridges, tunnels, maps and ATVís. I grew up in homes built by the DL&W who employed most my family in the mines. Spent most my younger years in a breaker, a colliery building, in a mine shaft, on top of a culm bank or on a train trestle. The DL&W is my #1 study but I love them all. I have been over most of the ROWS in this area from Bloomsburg to Plains , White Haven to Plymouth and then some. My business sits between the Bloom and the LV West Pittston Branch in Wyoming and I just bought a home at Blytheburn Station on the Wilkes Barre and Hazleton,. I also designed, manufactured and installed HVAC systems for MK Rail at their Mountain Top plant (former Foster Wheeler) back in the day right on the CNJ/LVRR. ( That was the best sub contractor job I ever had.) Well here is my list of what I have Xplored:::::::::>>>>>>  

DL&W Hanover & Newport (all 13 miles) the Bloom Division (Rupert to West Pittston)  
& here and ther around Scranton and the Poconos
LVRR (Mauch Chunk to Coxton) Harveyís Lake and Bowmanís Creek branches THE LVRR BACK TRACK west of Fairview to Newport Twp back to the east to Wilkes Barre. †Hazelton and Eckley  

Lehigh & Susquehanna (I know CNJ but the L&S was 1st) (Mauch Chunk to Plains) Nanticoke Branch, Lee to Everhart Branch, Ashley Planes and Shops, Franklinís JCT and The Back Track, Alden Station to the PRR at Honey Pot  

D&H (not much in the Hanover Area.) From Buttonwood Yard to Yatesville the Wilkes Barre Connecting/the Plymouth and Wilkes Barre (Plymouth Branch)  

PRR P&E div Rupert to Buttonwood Yards to South Wilkes Barre and some of Hazelton

The long lost WB&E.  

Tony or anbody if you are going to be in the area and want to bop around drop me and or John (JHNZ33) a line if we have the time we would be sure to hook up and do a tour.
Rick

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:23pm by XPLORER » Logged
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:22pm »

Greetings, Mark & Tony!

I'm glad you found us here, too. To say there is one or two people here who post "good" stuff, would be a slight to everyone - We really have a stellar bunch of fans/contibutors on this forum, both non-employees and (like myself) just diehard fans too young to have worked on the railroad.
When I signed on a Moderator, my dream was to take a lifeless forum and make it THE place to come and discuss the LV past, present and future, and I think we have.
I look forward to talking with you more in the future, though my time here on the forum has (and will continue to be) small for various reasons, for the forseeable future.
Again, welcome, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ

LEHIGHVALLEE
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 7:32pm »

Greetings to all the new members. I joined this forum last summer looking for research materiel and I found a gold mine here. This truly is a great bunch of guys who have so many different views and perspectives that if you need assistance for any obscure detail or era this is probably your best place to find the answers. I have learned SO much over the last few months!  
 On this day I can truly say that one of the things I am thankful for is all my fellow Lehigh Valley fans on Railfan.net!
             Lee

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 7:49pm »

Welcome,  
Mark and Tony! I look forward to your stories and contributions. I'm sure you'll find the discussions lively and the moderators (take a bow, Ralph!) excellent.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

MKohan
Enthusiast

« Reply #79 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 9:39pm »

Thanks! I can't believe how much I've learned in the just few weeks I have been part of this group. This is one the best places for a LV junkie!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »