Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 6:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Fan Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Fan Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Fan Roll Call  (Read 6834 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #40 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What did you publish last year, Ralph?  Is it easy to obtain?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Re: LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #41 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:57pm »

Hey Matthew -

Well, what I wrote with my mentor/friend/ex-LV marine dept employee Dave Pearce, was the difinitive history of the Lehigh Valley's Bronx, NY Terminal.....About as East as you can get on the old LV!
It was published in the journal of the Rail-Marine Operations group, the Transfer.
Back issues are available at -
http://www.trainweb.org/rmig/journal.html
Dave had done a capsule history of it and other Bronx terminals in Railpace back in 1985, but this is a greatly expanded work, covering the entire history and operations. Our plan is to have it reprinted in the ARHS magazine FD&S in a slightly expanded version, as more info has become available since we first wrote it.

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 3:33pm »

I'm reminded of my visits to the O-scale club in Westfield, NJ so many years ago. There was no decent Cornell Red model paint back then. Scalecoat hadn't even been invented yet. So I was astounded to see a beautiful FA/FB in Cornell Red running on the layout. An inquiry produced the information that the owner worked for LV and that he used the actual Dupont paint.  

Some years later, I hav=d the privelage of a visit with the Supt. of Motive Power and tour of the Sayre facility. And, most wonderfully, blueprints, painting diagrams, paint sample chips, etc. were given to me. On the down side, I just missed the dumping of all the steam drawings by 2 weeks.

Anyway, I pestered the top brass at Dupont until I got samples of Cornell Red, Gray,  and Yellow Lehigh Valley paint.

So I painted my first Cornell Red loco, a Hobbytown PA. I still have it and it still looks great. But, that paint!!! What a bear to work with. It's enamel and hard to apply, but worse, requires baking to cure. I didn't have an infra-red setup, so I had to bake it in the oven. What a smell.
Good thing it wasn't plastic.

Later when Bob Weaver was developing the Scalecote Cornell Red, I sent paint chips to him and the comparisons showed he got it exactly right. Of course, we all know the red fades badly in the sun and that the Valley ended up using whatever red was available in the later years.

I also have a pup done in the "real" paint. It caused me some pain because I took it to a club in West Nyack, NY to show off the constant brightness circuit that I'd just invented (published in RMC). Well, I was really put down when all the guys would talk about was the paint job. The devil with the constant brightness stuff.

Sorry, but all this stuff just wells up now and then.

I have seen the satelite photos of South Plainfield - wow what a downer. But the ones of Sayre make me want to cry. I'm sure glad I was able to visit both many times before the destruction.

Ray Stilwell
Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 3:42pm »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 9:26pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Ray...

My name is Jeff(alcoc420). You mentioned Binghamton. Im orginally from Vestal. But i have lived in Binghamton and was born in Johson City. I pretty much live in Binghamton during the summer with my grandparents. My grandfather also has and had worked in Endicott at IBM.

SMALL WORLD

Jeff,

We lived in Johnson City up on the hill when we were just married, and our eldest son was born there. We then moved to Appalachin into our first house with my first HO layout.

I also worked  at IBM in Endicott for 8 years before moving to headquarters in White Plains. Ended up in Raleigh, NC after 40 years with IBM.

Interesting. Small world, as you said. And, I love the LV Alco C420 as well.

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2006, 3:47pm by Ray Stilwell » Logged

Ray Stilwell
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:53pm »

Hey Ray,how about a few pics of those locos?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
tonphil1960
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 4:31pm »

OK, I'm Tony also.  

45 years old.  I live in North Haledon NJ, in Passaic Co. I just got back into MRR and have been a train, rail fan for many years though not in practice. I worked in the   So. Kearny, Conny yard for a few years as a truck, trailer, chassis mechanic. Port Newark too.  Too bad I didn't study the trains more, hard to do when working.
   I am interested in roads that ran in this area, EL, DL&W, LV, L&Hudson etc.  I love all kinds of history.

Tony  

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 8:57pm »

Ispent nearly four hours yesterday railfanning the Ontario Central,which operates 13 miles of former Lehigh valley mainline between Victor and Shortsville, NY.  For my story, read: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=WNYP;action=display;num=1139365088

Pictures of the Onterio Central will be on the Web in a few months.  A small piece of LV lives in upstate NY!  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

bwparker1
Historian
  FGLK.jpg - 52361 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 4:41am »

This is a great thread.  My name is Brooks Parker and I was born two years after the Lehigh Valley had been consolidated with Conrail.  I grew up in the city of Rochester, NY about 2 miles from the Busy Conrail NYC mainline.  I would always see trains cruising by over Winton Road on my way to Wegmans to buy groceries with my family, but unfortunately, didn't really become interested in trains until my senior year of College.

I became interested in the Lehigh Valley my senior year while I was at Cornell in Ithaca, NY.  Driving around town, I was always seeing remnants of old RR bed and some old bridges, and I finally started to put together all the pieces my senior year.  Travels for a research project for school and trips home had me driving through all parts of the Finger Lakes and WNY, and I began to realize how extensive the LVRR system used to be, and how it had all vanished!  Cornell's Library has some great books on the LVRR, including all three Morning Sun Volumes, and I was able to check those out before I graduated.

During a renovation project in my fraternity house, I came across a piece of wood that had the L.V.R.R. Emblem burned onto it, which was very cool to see.

After Cornell, I lived in Freeport Maine for three years and tried to learn as much as possible about the Maine Central and Guilford.  

I am currently living in State College, PA while my wife completes a PhD at Penn State.  I am about 25 miles from the old P.R.R. mainline, and have been railfanning around the Horseshoe Curve area several times.  I am also on the Board of the Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society, which is a group that owns 2 Budd RDC-1 cars and operates them on the former PRR Bald Eagle Line, which is controlled by the Nittany and Bald Eagle railroad and also hosts NS coal trains with trackage rights.  I have been in the cab on several trips to Tyrone, PA and Lock Haven, PA.  The recent birth of my daughter has constrained my ability to do outside railfanning, but I still read these forums quite often, and enjoy the posts of many members.

I currently try to follow the LAL group of lines, including the WNYP, and have a strong interest in the business side of shortline railroading.  One of my favorite memories is in 2004 having a short, spontaneous cab ride in a FGLK Railroad locomotive through the village of Penn Yan, NY on ex-PRR track.  I worked and summered in Penn Yan for 10 summers, so it was a great thrill.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/FGLK.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2006, 4:43am by bwparker1 » Logged

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 11:52am »

Brooks -  

Welcome!

I'm glad you have joined us. I too vistied Horseshoe Curve for the first time from State College, when I was there on a trip with my girfriend who was visiting her Alma Mater.

I look forward to seeing you here on the forum!

Ralph H.
List Moderator

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #49 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 12:36pm »

on Feb 11th, 2006, 4:41am, bwparker1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I currently try to follow the LAL group of lines, including the WNYP, and have a strong interest in the business side of shortline railroading. .
LAL shortline family currently operates two segments of former LV track.  The "original" LAL operates three miles of the former LV Rochester Branch between Mortimer Jct and Lehigh Station Road in Henrietta, NY.  LAL also owns an 80% interest in the Ontario Central, which I discussed in my previous post.  

P.S. Just so you the rest of you know, Brooks and I have spent much time discussing trains on another forum so he is a good addition to railfan.net.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

LOCAL
TRAINing

« Reply #50 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:42pm »

hey everyone.

Well as it goes, I was born in Bethlehem in 79, well after the LV went to conrail. As a kid I was really into trains and so my father would take me to Easton early on Saturday and Sunday morning where we would get breakfast at McDonalds then proceed to stand around at the old Easton station to watch frieghts. These mornings could be described as the warm merories of my early youth. With the advent of the internet and the fact that i almost live on it, i've been into researcing the Easton area and all its railroad history. The LV was certainly the pinacle of operations in Easton and that factor has drawn me in. So if any one has any sort of pictures having to do with Easton and the surrounding area POST THEM... but i'm assuming you probably already have. I'd really like to find pictures of the easton and norther in action as well as the CNJ from easton to bethlehem. I'm planning on eventually modeling the area so anything would most helpful.  

cheers,
chris

trains trains trains trains trains
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:40pm »

Hello, Chris!

Welcome! While I was around before Conrail (1969), I wasn't old enough to remember the LV, nor did I live near it like I do now. There are enough of us here on the forum that are either in that younger age bracket, or those who were lucky enough to see it first hand, and even some who operated on the railroad itself.  

Easton is always a popular topic, and if you take a few minutes to scan through the archived pages, you will find plenty of pictures, and probably some over on the CNJ group as well. I always ask both first time people to the forum to take some time to look for a topic that they are inquiring about before they post a new thread and repeat info that may already have been covered. It may be hiding in the shaddows, but 9 times out of 10, it's in there someplace!  

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions or even share some pictures, it's what helps make this a great forum, and rest assured somebody will have an answer or something to add to the discussion.

Again, welcome aboard, and enjoy!

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield, NJ

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 4:54pm »

Hello All,

I'm Micah, grew up and live in Lehighton, PA.  born in '84, which kinda made it difficult to see a real LV train...  i'm a big fan of the CNJ too, but i spent quite a bit of time exploring the packerton shop complex, and running around the yards too.  at the moment i don't have the capability to upload any pix, but i don't have much to upload anyhow...  quite a few of my neighbors worked on the LV at one time, and the CNJ ran just below my backyard, with the LV below it!!!

also active in Railtours, a member of Anthracite RHS, and the V.F.W.  

later!

micah

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
LehighValley107

« Reply #53 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:08pm »

Welcome F3!

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 1:08pm »

Hey CAR FLOATER. I would love to go railfanning around Piscataway and Dunellen. That would certainly be fun.

Jeff

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 1:26pm »

on Feb 28th, 2006, 1:08pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey CAR FLOATER. I would love to go railfanning around Piscataway and Dunellen. That would certainly be fun. Jeff

Well Jeff, maybe you and myself and Chris B. (Lehigh Valley107) could put something together when it gets warmer. We'll have to see. I'll have to admit, I'm not much of a railfan these days anymore, except when I go out to Allentown, oh say once or twice a year.

Ralph H./CF

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 4:38pm »

Despite that, it would still be a lot of fun Ralph. I havent been railfanning since Christmas. Yeah we'll have to see when it gets warmer!

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

Sandmanrdv
TRAINing

« Reply #57 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 9:34pm »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by CAR FLOATER on 04/05/06 at 20:33:24  

Just wanted to post to introduce myself as a new member. I stumbled on your site while doing some research on my family. About me, I'm a 26 yr old PSU grad who works for the state of PA. I grew up in Avoca, PA less than two miles from two mainlines, the D&H (presently CP rail) and what was then Conrail (now RBMN). Railroading goes back a long time on my dads side of the family. They were originally from Dushore, PA where my great great grandfather worked on the road gang out of the Sayre Yard. My great grandfather also worked on the Lehigh Valley on the road gang out of Sayre. He later became a fireman working for Erie out of the Avoca Yard. He was later called back by the Valley as a fireman, later becoming an Engineer out of the Coxton Yard. He retired sometime around 1968-69. When he left he was one of the last steam qualified engineers in the yard I am told. My family actually has a newspaper clipping of an article detailing this. He brought one of the last steam passenger trains from coxton up to Buffalo I believe. As a kid I heard all kinds of stories from the LV building a spur to drop gravel filled gondola cars into the Knox mine hole in the Susquehanna river to a mine subsidence in the Coxton yard while my great grandfather was switching cars at night. I wanted to ask if we have any former Valley employees or relatives of employees who may have known my great grandfather. For you guys I will hit up my granparents archives to see what kind of pictures, newsclippings and stories they have. I was also wondering if anyone had any pictures of Erie's yard in Avoca when it was in operation, in my research I have found out it was a fairly large facility, but I have been able to locate very few pictures. I actually used to hunt squirrel and rabbit in the woods where the yard was and there is not too much there to tell you there was ever a yard. There is a few bridge abutments, what looks like an old water tower, and some concrete sticking out of the ground, possibly the foundation of a building or perhaps the roundhouse. There is a few rail sidings from what I remember. The property was recently sold as a Keystone Opportunity Zone. I believe it is some type of intermodal station. I plan on taking a walk to take some pictures and investigate. Off topic but also at the end of the street I grew up on was the former Erie tracks that the Pocono Northeast shortline used to service Schott Optical, Topps Chewing Gum and a magazine factory in Hughestown. It was sad to see the pictures of the SW-1 sitting in the deadline at RMDI. Looking forward to talking and sharing with you guys whatever I can contribute here. I think  have caught a bit of this nostalgic railfanning bug and would like to take a photo trip to RMDI myself, with permission of course, I am not trying to ruin things for others. Talk to you all soon!

XPLORER
Historian
Re: Newbie

« Reply #58 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:45am »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by CAR FLOATER on 04/05/06 at 20:34:02  

Welcome Sandman. I am sure you will find a great many past threads to help you in the Forums. You may have to go through them all but bit by bit you will find clues. I am also sure you will find help with any questions you may have and your input as well will be valued. I know at least 5 or 6 of us are from the Wyoming Valley area.
I myself came in here as a historian/industrial archeologist and caught the railfan bug. It has been quite an enjoyable hobby to say the least. I enjoy sharring my findings as well as others and have made some friends in here. Heres to ya and good luck with your investagations. Here is a link you might find interesting.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=EL;action=display;num=1143585770

RR

scottychaos
Historian
Re: Newbie

« Reply #59 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 9:47am »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by CAR FLOATER on 04/05/06 at 20:34:28  

Greetings Morpheus, and welcome!  
you will find a lot of helpful and knowledgeable LV fans here!  

for your surfing enjoyment, check out this list of LV links..
this will keep you busy for awhile!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos/LVRR-links.html

Scot

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »