Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 7:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Fan Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Fan Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Fan Roll Call  (Read 6881 times)
Henry
Historian
Re: LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #100 on: Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:34am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 21st, 2006, 6:21pm, BlackDiamondRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Henry,
     Well here goes again, I hit one key and the message disappears! Anyhow, I kind of thought you were a local guy by some of your posts. Where do you live in the area? I live in the village of Hamburg.
    I hope after the first of the year to host a small LV slide night here for just a few friends, mostly ex LV employees or sons of employees and another railfan buddy of mine. I have roughly three trays of slides and I know one guy will bring some of his taken while working as a fireman. Think he worked mostly at Suspension Bridge.
    Ever get down to The annual "LV memorial Night" held at Guil Mack's in Phelps? I've gone for the past 4 or 5 yrs, always a good show, movies, slides, etc.
        Bud Rindfleisch

Bud,

I live in North Buffalo, it's actually the house where I grew up. I was only 14 when the LV disappeared into CR, but I remember LV trains on the Falls and Tifft lines. I have been a student of Buffalo area RRs for a long time. When dad was alive, we used to spend time poking around old rights of way looking for traces of long gone RRs. He was an LV fan too.

I have never been out to Guil Mack's for his get together. The closest I have been to Phelps in the past decade is Canandaigua! Until a year ago, I had been living in Port Clinton, Ohio for 5 years with my sweetheart so I didn't get much further east than Buffalo during that time.  

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Henry

choo_choo_dad
TRAINing
new to the site

« Reply #101 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 5:35pm »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by FFW-1 on 09/06/07 at 09:46:25  

hi ., i'm dave and new to this site. i am currently constructing my first layout. i decided to do the lehigh valley. i recently took a trip to jim thorpe with my family and was won over on my scenic train ride. the engineer even let me "drive" it was the true highlight of my vacation. anyway, i have a few questions. here they are. is it appropriate to use a steam engine in front say from PRR   while   pulling cars from the lehigh valley? what diesel engines should i use? i would also like to do a freight train and i was thinking NORFOLK SOUTHERN.(?)  my setting is going to be current  times with an old time flare(the scenic rail) i am willing to take any advice. i have my extruded foam cut for my mountaind=s and my plans drawn up on a book of graph paper. i have very limited space( 4x with room for a little extension here and there. thanks in advance... dave

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005, 5:38pm by choo_choo_dad » Logged
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #102 on: May 18th, 2009, 1:58pm »

Hey everyone -- new guy here!  My name is Frank, and my main interest is modeling the LV in N scale.  I've been an N scaler since the early 80s, with secondary interest in the EL and PRR.  I have been a member of the ELHS and ARHS for several years.

I originally set out to model the late 50s era to include passenger trains like the Black Diamond and Maple Leaf, but with recent locomotive and freight car releases by Atlas and Fox Valley, I have been snagging snowbirds, C420s, and U23s.

My layout is progressing slowly (I have two elementary-age kids) and features the Phillipsburg-Bethlehem area.  Ultimately, my plan is to ultimately include operations between Florence yard and the PRR/PC Bel-Del yard.  I am currently working on the "feature" scene of the Delaware River bridge (scratchbuilt).

Looking foward to participating on this board...

Frank

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009, 4:14pm by amato1969 » Logged
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #103 on: May 18th, 2009, 2:28pm »

Frank -

Welcome. You'll find some knowledgeable folks here will to help answer questions when and where they can. Please don't discouraged if you do not get an answer right away, as the group doesn not see a heavy amount of traffic. As always, don't forget to take a look at the message archives, the chances are good that the topic has already been discussed or answered.
Feel free to contact me, and I can supply you with other LVRR internet information groups and resources if you like.

Ralph H.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009, 2:30pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« Reply #104 on: May 19th, 2009, 12:16pm »

Welcome Frank....Always nice to see a new face on the Valley page  

If you have any photos to share of your "N" Scale layout or roster, love to see them.

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #105 on: May 19th, 2009, 5:24pm »

Welcome Aboard Frank!.....and I second the suggestion about posting some images of your modeling efforts!  I'm sure by now you have seen our little modeling tread....feel free to add to it!

Dave

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #106 on: May 19th, 2009, 9:38pm »

Hi Frank! Welcome aboard and good luck with your layout.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #107 on: May 20th, 2009, 9:09pm »

Hi Frank! Hey,were you on the Atlas Forum at one time? Make sure you check out the "modeling the LV" thread,lotsa nice stuff there,and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need here..Lotsa Valley diehards,LOL!! Also,you might wanna check out the N scale section in the modeling part of the forum...

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
amato1969
Enthusiast

« Reply #108 on: May 25th, 2009, 4:27pm »

Thanks for the welcome, fellas.  Lou, yes I check the Atlas board once in a while, but it moves way too quickly.  There indeed is some great info here!

Frank

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

Southwick_U9_544x382.jpg - 34347 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 8:35pm »

My name is Keith Taylor (yes...another Keith) and I was an engineer on the Lehigh Valley and Conrail. My wife and I now live in Maine....far from the old LVRR. I don't have much in the way of LVRR "souvenirs" other than my old switch keys and timetables. I have two 3 - 1/2" gauge live steam models of LVRR steam locomotives.  
It amazes me how many folks are now interested in the old LVRR, many of whom never saw the railroad.
Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Southwick_U9_544x382.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2010, 12:54pm by LVRR2095 » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #110 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 9:41pm »

Hi Keith! You bring up an interesting point about the fascination with LV. I was just a kid on C-Day and only saw the LV operating between Odessa and Towanda... but I've become enamored by places and eras I never saw. Streamliners, Mother Hubbards hauling anthracite, the Maple Leaf, the Hazleton Branch, Oak Island, tug boats, the Buffalo Creek Railway, etc. really catch my attention. LV seems like a colorful operation that worked hard- one of the truly great RRs of yesteryear.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
DElder
Chaser

« Reply #111 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:20am »

Hi Keith:
Welcome to forum: it's GREAT to have another ex-LV guy on board!

Would be interested in hearing about what part of the LV that you operated over during your time with them.  I'm sure that you likely have stories from those days that we'd like to hear!
  Doug Elder

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #112 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 10:15am »

Matthew and Doug,
Thank you for your replies. I mostly worked the eastern end of the LV, Oak Island, Perth Amboy, South Plainfield and Allentown. I did spend some time at Lehighton, and after Conrail, I worked jobs up in Hazelton and Coxton.
I do have any number of stories....most of which would need to be edited to be "family friendly!" Mostly what I recall from my days on the Lehigh were the great folks I worked with. In Pre-Conrail days, everybody looked out for everybody else. We truly were a family.
I do remember my first introduction to the signal system. I was working as a fireman for Joe Dougherty and he explained the signals in a very concise fashion. He said...."Well if the signal is all red, you stop. If it is anything other than all red....you go like hell!"
Keith

Ray Stilwell

View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 1:07pm »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 9:26pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Ray...

My name is Jeff(alcoc420). You mentioned Binghamton. Im orginally from Vestal. But i have lived in Binghamton and was born in Johson City. I pretty much live in Binghamton during the summer with my grandparents. My grandfather also has and had worked in Endicott at IBM.

SMALL WORLD

Jeff, A little late responding, but I'm 83 now and move like a snail.

I worked in the IBM Vestal Parkway Lab (a converted grocery store) for a while as well as the main labs in Endicott.

We first lived in an apartment in Johnson City until we bought our first house in Apalachin west of Vestal.

Speaking of small worlds, our new neighbors (Raleigh, NC) parents live in Vestal and the kids go there on vacations. She grew ip there.

The best thing I remember about the area is that it is not too far form Sayre so I could visit often.

Ray

Ray Stilwell
LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 2:26pm »

on Mar 26th, 2010, 1:07pm, Ray Stilwell wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Speaking of small worlds, our new neighbors (Raleigh, NC) parents live in Vestal and the kids go there on vacations. She grew ip there.

My wife and I had some very good friends from Vestal, they were the owners of "The Vestal Press." They published books on railroads and transportation themes, as well as their primary focus....automatic musical instruments. I remember on one visit they took us out to dinner in Binghamton, which as you may recall is a suburb of greater metropolitan Vestal!  

IRR
Historian
View Profile  

pics_018_600x450.jpg - 39647 Bytes
« Reply #115 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 10:35pm »

About time i added my name to the roster... My name is Mike Huber and i live in the former LVRRR town of Coplay PA. Being born in 76 i didn't get to see the LV through town here as a running railroad but i did spend my younger days hiking on the LVRR and Ironton RR in my area  and shall we say "LIBERATING"  my fair share of railroad artifacts! !LOL! Here's a shot of one of my finds for yall.. A GRS relay from the Cementon Interlocking "SHED".. Or more precisely THE DITCH BEHIND THE SHED!!!! (I'm also a fan of the CNJ LNE and N&B )  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/pics_018_600x450.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: Apr 27th, 2010, 9:11am »

Welcome, Mike! Happy to have ya here.........

Ralph Heiss
LVRR Moderator
S. Plainfield, NJ

One down, one to go.......
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 5:04pm »

My name is Mark. I live in the Rochester area and my father too me to Rochester Junction as a child to watch trains. The Valley was my favorite. I have many pictures from around the area, some I have taken others I have found by searching. Allways looking for more from around my area. Thanks for Having me!

Rudy Garbely
Enthusiast
The Lehigh Valley Railroad in the Lehigh Valley, 1965-1979

« Reply #118 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 8:02pm »

Note: This post was copied from another thread by FFW-1 on 04/11/11 at 09:41:49  

This is a follow-up to this thread: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=ffgeneral;action=display;num=1292390477

Hello!  My name is Rudy Garbely, and I'm an undergraduate history major at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA.  I'm also a mechanic for the Morristown & Erie Railway in Morristown, NJ, as well as a lifelong railfan and model railroader.

I'm currently working on my history honors thesis (~100 page paper) about the bankruptcy of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, the formation of Conrail, and how these changes affected the Lehigh Valley region's economy and population from 1965 through 1979.  The Lehigh Valley region is a unique historical case study because the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area was a massive industrial and population center that was almost completely reliant on the railroads (particularly the Lehigh Valley Railroad) to ship most of their freight.  I'm looking to answer unsolved questions about how the bad track conditions and deferred maintenance affected the transportation of freight shipments from many local industries and how the decline of the railroad affected regional employment and economics.

Besides published books, I am looking at things like employee newsletters, period newspapers, congressional hearings, and even employee timetables that would reflect changes in rail service that would affect the Lehigh Valley region.  I am doing archival research and devoting a good portion of my research time to primary source documents such as these that will allow me to draw my own conclusions on a topic that has not otherwise been studied.  If you have any suggestions as to sources that would be helpful to my research, your assistance would be most welcome.

I am also looking to do a lot of personal interviews.  I am looking primarily for people who would have been directly affected by the bankruptcy of the Lehigh Valley Railroad.  People that worked for the Lehigh Valley Railroad or worked in shipping or receiving departments in Lehigh Valley-area businesses would be exceptionally good interviewees.  I am also looking for those who were involved in the decisions that affected the railroads and ultimately created Conrail.  People in the U.S. Department of Transportation, the U.S. Railroad Administration, or even in the corporate administrations of other northeastern railroads would be extremely good sources of information.  I am also looking for employees of other railroads in the region, particularly the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Reading Railroad, as they could provide insight into the condition of the region from a railroading perspective.

If you or anyone that you know fits any of these criteria and would be willing to be interviewed at their convenience any time between January and August of 2011, it would be greatly appreciated if you could contact me at rudystrains@gmail.com or put me in contact with the proper person.  Each interviewee will be asked to sign a consent form ( http://rudystrains.com/Documents/Rudy_InformedConsentForm_OralHistories.pdf ) that allows me to use the information they provide in my paper.

Thanks in advance!

- Rudy Garbely
Repairs & Service, Atlas Model Railroad Company
Owner & Editor-in-Chief, The Garbely Publishing Company
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Mar 31st, 2012, 8:59am »

My Name is Mark, Or MTCG16, which is my favorite amusement park train. I have been into train since childhood. I grew up in Pittsford, NY which is a town outside of Rochester. I spent also of time as a child around the Lehigh valley, was in the Rochester yards, Rochester Junction, Manchester, Victor, Mendon areas when she was still running thanks to my Dad who took me to all those places to "Watch trains". I also remember the Pennsy when the tracks were still in place behind olympic park and there was an overpass on scottsville road. I also played in the Subway after it was reduced to freight as a child. I model in HO scale but I don't have a layout as of yet because I can't build benchwork to save my life, but I have a big basement waiting for a layout if anyone would like to help me build one, or if anyone has a nice size one for sale that can be moved without too much trouble. I am also always on the lookout for Lehigh Valley pictures from the areas mentioned above. Thanks for the great job on this site, and I'm very honored to be a part of it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »