Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 12:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Fan Roll Call
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Fan Roll Call
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Fan Roll Call  (Read 6893 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

LV Fan Roll Call

« on: Dec 20th, 2005, 7:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

With the Holiday season and New Years apon us, this might not be the best time to start this thread because eveyone is busy, BUT I thought that with the same festive spirit and the fact that we have gotten some new names here on the forum lately, that it was time to start a "roll call" of sorts, just to let everyone say hi to everyone else. Kinda corny, kinda not, but hey, I'm a moderator! LOL! Some of us know each other, but some of us don't, that's where my thought process was coming from......The CNJ forum did this, and we try to get together once a year and meet and show slides, ect.....There's no reason that we can't try this here! (right?)

OK, I guess that means I have to start, but I have to go X-Mas shopping right now (no, really, my girlfriend is making me!) so I'll post later tonight or tomorrow, OK?  

In case somebody wants to beat me to the punch, I'm thinking just your name, your user ID that you post under (not always your name), what you are into train or LV-wise (railfaning/history/model railroading) your location, age (if you are OK with that!), and I guess whatever else you feel like. I am just trying to let us get to know each other a little better if we so desire to, that's all!

Talk to you all later,

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
Brian_Coblentz
Railfan
Re: LV Fan Roll Call

« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 12:12pm »

Let's see...

My name is Brian, I am 33 and am very interested both in the history and the modeling aspect of the Lehigh Valley. This is due to in part to my grandfather, John Koehler, who is a sort of historian for the LVRR Hazelton and M&H Divisions. Ever since I was a baby, my grandfather took me on train rides with the famous LV Pups. We also did a lot of railfanning around Allentown.  

Growing up in this atmosphere gave me a love and appreciation for the LVRR. Today, I live in Maryland (near Baltimore) and work for the State. I am married and have an 8 month old daughter who is being exposed to a Lionel Christmas train set. My wife tolerates my hobby and actually gave me 1 room our home to use as my "train room."

My true interests are in HO modeling in the 1970's. I am modeling the Hazelton Branch along with Allentown so some Reading power is thrown into the mix.  I take pictures of each class of diesels and have them detailed down to the rust from Southern Tier Modelworks.  

My other interests are football (NFL) and bodybuilding...that's about all.

Who's next

Trackbolt
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 9:18pm »

My name is Tony and I'm one of the old guys at 54.  My mother was from Sayre's East Side.  My uncle Iggy Arcesi was a LV master mechanic in the Sayre shops until his death in 1967 due to an accident in the welding shop.  I got my first taste of railfanning watching trains enter and leave Sayre from the old walk bridge there during a visit in 1960.  Am planning my last model RR which will feature the LV and CNJ in the Lehigh Gorge with Lehighton and Packerton as focal points.

great forum

Trackbolt

The next best thing to seeing a set of ABBA EMD F-7's is hearing a set of ABBA EMD F-7's
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 10:15pm »

well lets see..
im Scot, im 36.
born in Sayre PA in 1969, grew up right across the border in Waverly.
(Wavery NY and Sayre Pa are basically the same place)

I got my obsession for the LV and trains in general from my Grandfathers, who both worked for the LV in Sayre.
My Dad's dad was a LV engineer, and my Mom's Dad worked in the Sayre shops.

Sadly, by the time I was old enough to start exploring the local railroads on my own (about 1983, when I was 14) the LV and the EL had already been gone 7 years.
But I had lots of interesting Conrail, Susquehanna, Guilford and D&H trains roll through Waverly and Sayre.
I was a member of the first railroad museum in Sayre, the "Valley Railroad Museum" for 4-5 years in the middle 80's.

I was into HO scale as a teenager, my entire bedroom was taken up by a giant layout! and I painted and decaled many LV HO scale engines, many of which ran at the model railroad at the Sayre museum.

I left for College in 1987, (Photography major, SUNY New Paltz) and dropped out of active railfanning and model railroading for most of my 20's..
(I was in a Rochester Rock band from 1995-2000..I played Bass)

about 5 years ago, I jumped into "Large Scale" model trains, ("G gauge")
and have been into 1/29 scale and Live Steam since..
I am currently trying to fight off a severe case of On2 disease..modeling the Maine 2-footers in On2 scale...I fear its hopeless.

all my projects can be found here:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/

I work at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, where I am a Research Technician..working with digital imaging systems.

I just got married 2 months ago!  

and that my Bio!  

Scot

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:14pm »

My name is Jeff, im 16 and i live in Easton(enough said for liking the Valley). But i recently got intrested in the Valley when i became a member of the Black Diamond Society of Model Engineers. The clubs layout is based roughly on the Valley so thats how i got addicted. Plus i live 10 minutes from the Easton and Northern Branch of the Valley.  

Through my life though i have been very loyal the Milwaukee Road because i had a grandfather that was an active engineer on 261 when she was in revenue freight service. But i model my fair share of Valley equipment.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:39pm »

OK, OK, no excuses this time, I just got back from shopping.....I'm happy to see the responses so far!

Alrighty then,

My name is Ralph Heiss, I'm 36, and I'm originally from Rockaway, NJ (exit 37 off I-80 for those of you who like the "what exit you live off of?" Jersey jokes....)
Some of you might have gotten to know me by my handle "Car Floater", named for my obsession (for lack of a better word), of the LV's marine operations, or "Hunterdon Commuter", which was an inside joke with my friends over on the CNJ board, and now "Capmoore", which was a name of one of the LV's six diesel tugs, and was named for the retiring superintendent of the marine dept. of the time, a Capt. Moore. Now I am BACK to Car Floater, but from here on in, who knows what it'll be?

I began my modeling "career" with the standard Lionel around the tree, and stayed with it until I encountered HO when I was 13. I still have a warm spot for the Hi-Rail stuff, but I don't have the room! I still remember coming home from my first trip to the NY Society of Model Engineer's layout here in Carlstadt NJ (it's been in MR a few times), and comming home thinking I could fit the entire DL&W Hoboken and Erie Jersey City terminals in my basement space of 5X10 feet! Yeah, maybe in Z scale! For those of you not familiar with the area, here's a link to an aerial view of it at -  

http://tinyurl.com/feapr

I began watching trains on the old DL&W/EL tracks in Dover, NJ watching the NJT commuter trains roll in all summer long back in 1982. Back then, U-34CH's and DL&W MU electrics rulled the fleet, and if a F40PH came to town, that was an event!  
From there, I began taking any Tri-State NRHS-sponsored trips I could, to Harrisburg, Jim Thorpe, or Port Jervis whenever they ran. I also got my dad to drive when we'd chase the NYS&W stack trains when they first began to run.  

A good friend of mine got me into "Ferroequineology" when we used to trace the old Erie, NYO&W, and NYC lines in southern NY state, and from there, I began to track down (excuse the pun, please!) any abandoned rail facilities or tracks I could here in the NY/PA/NJ area. Today, with all the photography bans in place not withstanding, I'd rather visit a "ghost spot" than any modern railroad facility, unless it's LV related, of course!

I never got to see the LV run, even though I was six when Gonerail came about, I just didn't live anywhere near their tracks, instead I was always exposed to the  
ex-EL lines out of Hoboken. The town I grew up in also once hosted a CNJ branch to serve iron mines, so I have always held an interest in that railroad, too.
I only time I saw an LV engine was in Binghamton, NY, and it was a D&H GP38-2 that had so much Cornell Red showing thru it's blue, they should have just scraped it off and let it shine in it's original glory! I'll try to locate the picture and scan it sometime soon.

Other than that, I am currently modeling the LV's Jersey City terminal in the 1950's in my South Plainfield, NJ basement of 11X32. I "discovered" my love for the LV shortly before moving out of mom and dad's house and in with my VERY accomodating girlfriend - in fact, it took us a year to find the "right" house with the "right" basement for my 6'2 frame! Being in a LV town doesn't hurt either, or living on Hudson St.! The whole rail-marine thing sprang from my desire to find a model that would be doable in that same 5X10 space, and be a switching layout, which is my favorite model RR activity. I had always liked the LV, but between meeting a girl who lived within earshot of the LV main in New Market (Piscataway) NJ, and finding a prototype to reasonably model in that space (considering I owned the Walthers carfloat, tugboat and float bridge already!), it was a no brainer!

OK, I've gone on long enough, but BESIDES liking trains (???), I too like Scot, play bass (I even recorded 3 CD's!), but after spending 10 years, and countless model railroad supply money on lawyers and whatnot trying to score a recording deal, I called it quits and joined a cover band that actually gets paid to play! Yeah, sure, opening for your rock heroes in big clubs is cool, but it don't pay the bills, or buy brass engines!  So now I just manage a mailroom for an advertising company, and spend my money on Ebay researching the LV! (at least that's how I justify it to my girlfriend!)

OK, I'm done, I promise, are you all asleep yet?

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it,

Ralph

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2006, 1:23pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:46pm »

Hey Capmoore....

Heres something ironic ( or at least i think so)

You mentioned both Binghamton and Piscataway.
Im orginally from Binghamton and my dad works in P-Way.

I also have a girlfriends who lives in Dunellen(Nicknamed Railroad Town!)

Just thought that was cool.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

Henry
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:11pm »

I'm Henry (Surprise!) and I grew up in Buffalo on the LV's west end. I'm in my mid 40's now and I can remember the LV. When we used to go to my grandparents place we'd be alongside the LV for part of the drive and I can remember dad pacing GP38-2's and U23B's. Later, I went to high school not far from the LV's Niagara Falls branch, but I only saw a couple trains on that line before Conrail ruined everything.

My dad was a fan of the LV too and I can remember him telling me "that's the Leaky Valley over there" whenever we were around LV trackage when I was a little kid. He and my grandfather both had Lionel trains and we had a string of LV hoppers which I still have now, I even picked up an additional one a couple of years ago when I saw it for a good price. I have a bunch of LV in HO and N scale too.  

I'm a big fan of all railroads, but especially Conrail predecessors as that's what I grew up with. NYC and EL ran close to my house so that's mostly what I saw until I got mobile the year CR was created, of course

As for hobbies, it's mostly trains for me, I have a big collection of old TRAINS and RAILFAN magazines which I read in my spare time and I enjoy researching railroad history. I have a pretty decent railroad library and I collect aerial photos and USGS maps of interesting railroad locations. I also have a good sized historical digital map collection and Sanborn fire insurance map collection. My GIS and Sanborn data is up to about 35 gigabytes so far. I'm also a member of several RR historical societies and editor of one of their magazines and I administrate email lists for two RR historical societies and provide web hosting for several more including the ARHS.

I work as a network administrator and spend a lot of time fighting spam and making sure internet servers are working properly. I'm a hard core unix (not linux!) jockey and usually spend 8 to 12 hours a day on unix servers. I also run Railfan.net and this Forum and that's a whole story in itself

I enjoy everyone's posts in this board because I missed so much of the LV when I was younger and so little of it is left now.

Henry

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:02am »

My name is Lou DeGrose,[okay now,everybody..HI LOU....] I'm a geezer too at 50 years old,and remember the Valley well.Unfortunately,being an insane model railroader,I also remember the 15 or so other railroads that ran here through Pittston.It can get trying at times.I had 5 mainlines within a mile of my house when I was a kid,LV,CNJ,Erie,Lackawanna[and of course,subsequently EL] and D&H.The valley main ran along the river less than 2 blocks from my house,the Erie had a branch[former Laurel line] a block the other way.My first interest has always been LV,though.Some of my first train memories were of engineers letting me on trains that were stopped by the Susquehanna river in Pittston,on the old passenger main.I've actually been inside F's,FA's,and a few RS's.Ah,if I only had a camera....I remember well my more than slightly screwy father racing LV freights along the river between Falls,PA,and Tunkhannock.I remember a few times doing well over 70 running even with a FREIGHT!!!! I probably have over 80 N scale valley locos,nearly all are custom built or at least painted.I have over 300 locos,mostly local,mostly late 60's to late 70's.All are N scale.I'm just starting to build my new railroad.I moved a little less than 2 years ago into a new house.I had a really nice railroad,but decided to build a totally new one in the new house.My train room overlooks bothe the R&N/NS mainlines in Dupont,and the CP/D&H]

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:28am »

My name is David Yurick.  I was born in Allentown, PA, but now live in New York City (I, too, am, shall we say, older?!).  My first memories of the Lehigh Valley are when my mother took me down to the Allentown PA Lehigh Valley station (an incredible, Victorian station of which there is a picture in the Archer book).  We would watch the 1:18 Black Diamond come in from NYC on its way to Buffalo (by the time I was watching, they were diesels - never saw steam).  So, my romance with the LV was begun (by the way, just across the way was the CNJ Allentown station, which is still standing as a restaurant, so I also saw the CNJ New York and Harrisburg (in conjunction with the RDG) trains at that station.

Through the years, I have tried to trace the LV, all the way from Jersey City (Liberty State Park) to Buffalo.  Every summer I spend time in Geneva, NY, and do some railroading around the Naples branch, Manchester, and last summer went up to North Fair Haven.

I enjoy this forum, and look forward to sharing info in the future.  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

davidyur

davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:30am »

Actually, I think I made a mistake about the 1:18 p.m. Black Diamond.  I think it was actually coming down from Buffalo on its way to NYC.  Perhaps some of our resident historians can research this and correct me.  Sorry for any mix-up.
davidyur

JJ Smith
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:45pm »

Hi, my name is Jeff Smith. I live in Manheim, PA and I am 34 years old.  I grew up in Perkasie, PA along the Reading's Bethlehem Branch.  I remember seeing the long iron ore trains on their way to Bethlehem Steel and the RDC cars on which I took one of my first train rides.  Naturally, I am a Reading fan first but the LV is a close second.  

My father grew up in Allentown and when we visited my grandparents, my grandfather would take me down to the large Allentown yard to watch them hump cars.  I loved that.

My mother grew up in Coplay, PA.  When I was a kid my grandmother would take me down to the Coplay-Northampton bridge to watch for trains.  I have memories of seeing the big white engines (C628's) pass under the bridge.  I was quite young then, but I remember that.

One thing I miss is the friendly wave of the man in the caboose.

Today, I am actively ivolved in taking digital video and photos of trains.  I also model.  I have  4 x 22' home layout of the Reading's Pottsville yard.  I am the president of the Steigle Valley Model Railroad club in Manheim, PA where we model the Reading's R&C branch.

My great uncle was Ty Smith who worked for the CNJ in Warton, NJ.  I am also active in the RCT&HS and a member of the ARHS.

Modeling the Pottsville area (RDG, LV, and PRR)
Member: RCT&HS, ARHS
RSDCPA
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26th, 2005, 5:28pm »

OK. My name is Ralph DeBlasi, the other Ralph. I am the good looking one!
I am originally from Cranford, NJ and lived across from the LV main into Oak Island just west of Aldene. I lived there from 1955 at age 2 until I moved to South Jersey (Cherry Hill) in 1968. I got to see it all. I was constantly getting punished all the time by my parents for playing on  the tracks.  In 1960 I was 7. I got to see the passenger trains dissappear, the ALCO and EMD cab units, the transition to the Centuries and a lot of neat stuff.

One of my favorite memories was of a conductor named Charlie. His caboose used to be where us kids could see and talk to him as the train was holding for Aldene traffic to clear. He used to throw lollypops and bubble gum to us kids. He would invite us up in his caboose for a peek, He was a sweet older man. Us kids were hooked!

My grandparents were from Hazleton and Jeddo, Pa. I used to see the locals serving the breakers. My grandfather used to take me for a walk to see Jeddo Tunnel to satisfy his train crazy grandkid. Dad would sometimes cut through Lehighton so I could get my fix.

Currently, I am 52 and a practicing CPA in Moorestown, NJ. I have been a model railroader modeling the LV since 1968. I have a basement sized 24 X 40 L shaped layout based on the CNJ and LV from just east of Lehighton to Solomons Gap. You can see some pics by visiting the LV modeler site. I am just beginning formal op sessions on my RR. When all the motive power is aquired I will have op sessions from 1960 to 1976. The center piece of my layout is the Lehigh Gorge and Lehighton Yard. I will be open privately during the upcoming NMRA convention in Philly in July. If you are attending please stop in and say hello.

Ralph S. DeBlasi
Lehigh Valley Railroad - Wyoming Division
Throttle 8...Don't be late
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Dec 26th, 2005, 6:51pm »

Hi, my name is Matt. Like Scot and our fearless moderator, I was born in 1969.  It was my great fortune to be born in Elmira, NY and grow up in Hammondsport.  This has naturally made me a deeply devoted fan of LV, EL, B&H and LAL, because I saw them all firsthand before I even turned 8.  

LV had a presence in the Elmira/Horseheads area.  LV's local entered their tracks after travelling the EL main between Waverly and Elmira and switched a number of local industries, most notably Thatcher Glass, Holding Point and the A&P plant.  The engines were typically RS-2/3s but I recall at seeing a Cornell Red SW at least once.  

My parents were happy to indulge my interest in LV, especially since Mom had ridden both Black Diamond and Maple Leaf.  We took car trips along the LV mainline between Sayre and Odessa, when the Centuries and Geeps still led the Apollos and Mercurys on hot shot runs thru the Cayuta Creek valley.  One of my sharpest memories of age 5 (late '74) was watching a pair of Snowbirds battle the snow on the mianline near the Cotton-Hamlin store in Odessa.  This was apparently a rarit- as LV had begun restricting the C-628s to keep them form tearing up the rails!  

My family also took a few trips to the yard in Sayre during the late LV and early CR eras.  (BTW, make sure you check out Mangielardo's restaurant nearby- the food is supposed to be just as good now as it was 30 years ago!)  We even took a trip to former Southern Central branch in Flemingville (now owego & Harford), where I got into trouble for climbing a semaphore!  

I've also railfanned some of the formr LV on my own as an adult.  LAL switches the Mortimer Branch (ex-LV Rochester branch). so I've seen them drop off cars to former LV customers like Matthews & Fields Lumber.  Several former LV lines have been coverted into trails.  While I failed miserably in the goal to trace the entire former LV mainline from Van Etten to Buffalo, I did get some nice walks the trail in Mendon.  Best of all, I got to chase the Onterio Central this summer-  which operates 13 miles of former LV mainline between Victor and Manchester, NY.

Since I work ALOT and own a house, I don't have alot of time for other hobbies.  I do enjoy music and actually roadie for a band (http://wilkesbooth.com for you hair metal fans). I wear my Buffalo Bills paraphenalia regardless of their record, and I've been known to argue politics. So that's what you get with this LV fan- something familiar and different all wrapped up in one person.

Alright, let's talk more LV!    

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
slotracer

View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 2:25pm »

Henry, you are about the age that you might recall and perhaps went on a Car Caravan organized by Devan L. John B. and the Kocsis brothers from Buffalo to Sayre in January of 1976 ? It was a Buffalo Chapter NHRS function as the WNYRHS had not yet been formed.

Heck of a trip, day was cold as heck but I recall it like yesterday.  I need to dig through my old photos soon.   We all got to tour the Sayre shops just before Conrail, they were working on snowbirds and other Alcos inside....nice.

We chased the EL home west through the Canisteo River  Valley till sunset, those were teh days when trains were still interesting and fun.  Man, 30 years ago and I can still remember the cold, the sunny day, the excitement.....seeing the Sayre fuel tracks from teh pedestrian bridge for the first time.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 3:30pm »

on Dec 27th, 2005, 2:25pm, slotracer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Henry, you are about the age that you might recall and perhaps went on a Car Caravan organized by Devan L. John B. and the Kocsis brothers from Buffalo to Sayre in January of 1976 ? It was a Buffalo Chapter NHRS function as the WNYRHS had not yet been formed.

Heck of a trip, day was cold as heck but I recall it like yesterday.  I need to dig through my old photos soon.   We all got to tour the Sayre shops just before Conrail, they were working on snowbirds and other Alcos inside....nice.

We chased the EL home west through the Canisteo River  Valley till sunset, those were teh days when trains were still interesting and fun.  Man, 30 years ago and I can still remember the cold, the sunny day, the excitement.....seeing the Sayre fuel tracks from teh pedestrian bridge for the first time.

Nope, Dad and I missed that one I guess. If I ever catch up with Devan I'll have to ask him about it. I bet it was a great trip.

Henry

arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 8:20pm »

Hi! My name is Jerry and I am now 66 years old. I live near The BNSF "Racetrack" in Lisle, Il. (MP 24.4).

I grew up in Buffalo and my earliest mmory of the LV is the spring of 46 or 47. My Grandfather, Michael Karg, brought a passenger train (North Star) ? into the original station on Main St. around 10AM  for his last run before his retirement. I was 7 or 8 at the time. At the time, an article was in the Buffalo Evening News with photos recognizing his retirement. Always have meant to get to the Buffalo library to see if I can find the article.

After my Dad had passed away, my Mother remarried in 1968. She married John Todtenhagen who had worked in the LV roundhouse and told me stories of my Grandfather which gave me a different insight.

I have sent contributions for each of them to Sayre to get the Diesel. Although neither one ever saw it, I thought it appropriate.

Something you may want to consider.

Enjoy the site.

Jerry

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 9:42pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:46pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Capmoore....
Heres something ironic ( or at least i think so)
You mentioned both Binghamton and Piscataway.
Im orginally from Binghamton and my dad works in P-Way.
I also have a girlfriends who lives in Dunellen(Nicknamed Railroad Town!)
Just thought that was cool.

Hey Jeff!

Yes, actually, that is rather interesting, yet another thing to remind us that it is indeed a small world. The next time you come to Dunellen, let me know, and maybe we'll go railfanning along the LV.  

Ralph

RTower
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 4:09pm »

Okay, better late than never.  

I am Mark Nolan, 38, from Clarksville, TN.  I was born here and have never lived anywhere near the LV.  It was gone long before I became interested in the LV.  I grew up around the L&N; my grandfather was a tower operator outside Union Station in Nashville.  So there is my interest in trains.  I became interested in the LV, following a trip to a Timonium train show around 1991.  I went with a friend of mine, who was a LNE modeler.  At the show, I bought some ARHS magazines and a Morning Sun book on the LV.  The rest, as they say is history.  

I liked the LV, for several reasons, with included the various paint schemes; the not so big you couldn't model it; the various connecting RR and the geographical area, including the Lehigh Gorge.  After lots of research, trips to the area and many train show and e-bay purchases I have a good understanding of the LV and decided to model a large portion of it in HO.  Most of my other friends still model the L&N, so I wanted to do something different.  

In Aug of 2001, I started on my current version of the LV.  We moved into a house with a large unfinished basement.  I designed the layout and finished the basement to fit.  I am trying to model the LV in the fall of 1972, which gets me most LV power, diverse paint schemes and into Allentown yard.  You can check out my website for more info.  Like the layout, it is a work in progress.  I built almost everything myself, since there are not allot of other modelers in my area.  There is no local hobby shop either.  The layout is double or triple decked, has lots of staging tracks and plenty of operation.  It will feature Bethlehem Steel, 4 branch lines (E&N, West End, M&H and another yet decided coal branch).  

I work on the layout in phases and don't tend to focus on one project.  I took about 6 months off May to Dec to coach a U9 travel soccer team.  Coaching took more time than I thought it would and it starts back in a few weeks.  I hope to make some steady, but slow progress on the layout.  I might even have the upper deck finished by this time next year.    

http://webpages.charter.net/dmnolan/index.htm

Reading2124
Historian
  Lehigh_side_map.jpg - 33577 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 5:18pm »

My Name is CJ, i live near cressona , PA and i live along the old pottsville branch of the LV. From time to time i go fourwheeling & explore the route. The tracks were torn out in beleive it or not in the early 50's. Some signal posts are still seen here & there but my favorite part is the old station. Alls thats left is a stone base from the orwigsburg station  I Also have alot of knowledge when it comes to the LV-CNJ lehigh side. Heres a map i made Enjoy  

-CJ

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (33577 bytes, 962x615 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Lehigh_side_map.jpg - 33577 Bytes

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »