Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 10th, 2017, 11:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV AROUND GENEVA NY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV AROUND GENEVA NY
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV AROUND GENEVA NY  (Read 2087 times)
mtcg16
Historian
Re: LV AROUND GENEVA NY

« Reply #60 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 10:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Awesome, thanks Paul!!

Henry
Historian
  AP2_Geneva_07-21-74_TBDiamond.jpg - 52768 Bytes
« Reply #61 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 9:28am »

on Nov 5th, 2012, 9:53pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
AP-2 about to cross the Genesee Street bridge in Geneva, NY on 21 July 1974.

I hope you don't mind, it was such an interesting picture that I just had to work it over to bring out some detail in the shadows...

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/AP2_Geneva_07-21-74_TBDiamond.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2012, 9:34am by Henry » Logged
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 2:03pm »

Yep, the shot was extremely backlit. Would have taken me hours in the darkroom to make it come out right.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Kendaia1
Historian
  847_514563641908744_955868373_n_864x608.jpg - 74710 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 10:43pm »

Found this photo of the LVRR Geneva Station at the Geneva Historical Society site. Their caption states, "Mr. Moxom, a photo technician stationed at Sampson Naval Training Station, took this photo of the Lehigh Valley Railroad depot in the 1940s. There's steam, there's internal combustion, there's a man-powered luggage cart - it has everything."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/847_514563641908744_955868373_n_864x608.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Jan 15th, 2014, 6:51am »

Awesome!!

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Jan 15th, 2014, 7:43am »

I'm surprised to see that by the 1940's the whole platform canopy was already taken down. Just can't understand why they would do that.

Also, comparing the 1940's pic to 1970's... the chimney disappears, along with what looks like a skylight right nearby. The Station sign "GENEVA" is on the earlier view, moved to the East side of the building from the canopy when it was taken down.  

Additionally, painted onto the stonework, just right of the car's hood, is a message that reads:  

This Space Reserved
US Mail Truck
No Parking Here

Didn't notice THAT when we toured last spring!

Bob

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2014, 4:09pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Jan 15th, 2014, 9:06pm »

Just saw Bruce Tracy today Bob and we are still talking about that station tour. Thanks for all the work making it happen.  Keith

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Jan 15th, 2014, 10:21pm »

on Jan 15th, 2014, 9:06pm, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just saw Bruce Tracy today Bob and we are still talking about that station tour. Thanks for all the work making it happen.  Keith

Keith, I am so happy you all enjoyed it so much. I had always wanted to get inside too; We just got really lucky that Bob Fitzgerald (owner) was such a great host to us! And it is always fun getting together with all the guys here, and we gained a few more last year too!

I've been wondering what we are going to do this spring. Buffalo has been tossed around before; but I would really like to get a tour of Sayre. The yards, the station. Maybe Sayre-Towanda. I always like the trip down thru Odessa-VanEtten-Sayre. I know at least a few of us upstaters have never had a proper trip around Sayre before, maybe someone could get something started. I know this should be in the other thread, but it's just an idea thus far. I think a Sayre tour would probably be very well attended.

Maybe we could all stay in Mahoopany at Bednar's!  

Bob

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2014, 1:44pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Jan 15th, 2014, 10:26pm »

I plan to be attending this years meet-up.......hated missing last year's fun. I wouldn't mind getting back to Sayre again and would even like to explore further east this year, too.

Nice shots of the station, Bob--thanks for posting them. Really like the 1940s shot.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #69 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 8:19am »

Bob:  
I too am still kicking myself a bit for missing last year's get-together (but 1,100 miles of distance does unfortunately lead to having to make those tough decisions!).  Will at least "seriously consider" making it this year (and maybe we all need to start lobbying TB to attend also when you get a date set).  Glad you guys all got to tour the Geneva depot and to see Steve Peck's incredible T-Burg layout project last year!

If Sayre indeed turns out to be the destination, I've been corresponding with an ex-LV gentleman on and off for about 10 years now, and he just happens to live in Sayre.  I suspect that he might be a good resource for local info, and may be willing to show the gang around a bit.  We can discuss that more later.
   Doug

Kendaia1
Historian
  LV_Geneva_Station_Sherril_St.jpg - 48334 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: Oct 10th, 2017, 12:45pm »

A 1901 view of Sherril St, Geneva with the LV Station looming at the end of the street. Geneva Historical Society

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Geneva_Station_Sherril_St.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2017, 12:47pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »