Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 6:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV AROUND GENEVA NY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV AROUND GENEVA NY
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV AROUND GENEVA NY  (Read 2034 times)
scottychaos
Historian
Re: LV AROUND GENEVA NY

« Reply #20 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:14am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Matthew,
im not so sure!  
the location of the Naples turntable appears to be open, undeveloped land.
or at least it was in 2002, when this aerial photo was taken:

Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 10:41pm »

Thanx for the correction, Scot!    I'll have to check it out in a few eeks when I go to visit the family for Thanksgiving.  I will need some help with directions- is north at the top of the photo, as maps usually are? Where is it in relation to Route 21?  Also, it looks like the ROW snakes past the pit and continues on for quite a distance...

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005, 10:43pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
streamline_j3
Chaser

« Reply #22 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 10:29am »

I think that 21 is the red line that is just on the edge of the map(topo map), just on the eastern edge.

slotracer

View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 5:41pm »

It has been a very long time since I have ben in Naples (Love the Concord Grape pies in the fall).....my mom used to enjoy Widmer's lake niagara wine (Is Widmers still in business or are they merged now ?)

Anyway, when April fools day 76 rolled around I stopped the regular railfanning I had been doing and a group of friends and I used to trace down old rights of way and shoot photos of old stations and the like for a few more years in the late seventies.

I recall we traced several old LV branches on a fall day in 1978 in the Northern Finger lakes and we did follow the Naples Branch, there were stations at least at Rushville and Naples (I think the naples one was an ofdfice or an art gallery) and we did walk the remains of teh right of way into town on the northeast side of the winery.  We looked over teh remains of the Naples yard which by 1978 was a grassy field.  It has been many years but I am nearly certain we paused at a grassy sink hole like area that we determined was the site of the old turntable.  I might be wrong as it has been 27 years but I beleive the turntable is long gone.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 9:07pm »

The tracks between Rushville and Naples were removed not long after service ended on that segment in 1970. According to http://www.lvrrmodeler.net/bflo_branch.html -the remainder of the Naples Branch was embargoed in early 1973. I don't know if the tracks ever returned to service under LV or CR, but the rails were still in place in the late '70s.  

P.S. Widmer was bought out by the Union Pacific of the wine business, Canandaigua Winery- which has since become Constellation brands. The Widmer label is still in use and the facility is still active but (as with Taylor in H'port) the wine ain't the same.  

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2012, 4:23pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 9:25pm »

Sorry to join this conversation late but yes, the bridge that carried the Ithaca passenger branch south and east from Geneva still exists, or at least it did when I last drove by in approx. 2001.  If you are heading north on 96A from the Romulus area, the bridge would be on your right hand side, just before the intersection with 5 & 20 and when I saw it, it looked like Snowmobiles used it to cross the creek.  Given the orientation you have to turn back nearly 180 degrees to see it as you pass by.

Brooks

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
WNYRailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 10:19pm »

For those of you who have Mike Bednar's LVRR: Wyo and Buf Div. Book, there are some interesting photos on p94-95 and p125.  p 94 features the LV/NYC IC track and LV main bridge over the NYC Fallbrook Branch.  p 95 features the Geneva depot
p 125 features the NYC GY tower

Where was GY tower located?

As far as the Naples branch...most of the ROW is still visible from Naples to Geneva
It crosses Rt 245 about half way between Naples and Rushville.  As mentioned the ugly frt house still exists (the passenger depot was better looking).  The ROW buries itself in the fields and reappears as well.  The depot in Gorham still stands (I have a bunch of pics from 2003 if anyone who is interested).  If I still lived in Western NY I would have attempted to restore that depot.  The bridge abutments in Gorham still exist too.  Stanley is also interesting to explore.

Thanks.

WNYRailfan
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 11:21pm »

I purchased Bednar's book last spring- the pics of the Naples Branch are amazing.  It's a pity that a shortline didn't pick up the the operation of the branch after LV went out of business but I guess CR had bigger concerns and the track conditions didn't look very good in 1971.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Sep 8th, 2012, 6:35pm »

Reviving this baby almost 7 years later!

I have a couple questions.

1) Is the area where the Naples turn-table still undeveloped and if not......is it accessible?

2) And would anyone happen to have a picture of the main-line bridge over Route 14?  

I remember passing under that bridge a few times as a youth (1984-1985) and seeing that bridge with its <LV> on there! I know Ken Kraemer's book as a shot in it, but otherwise haven't seen it.

Thanks guys!
Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Kendaia1
Historian
  Rt.14_bridge.jpg - 75665 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 1:43am »

Charlie, here's the LVRR bridge over Exchange St. in Geneva. The view is looking south towards downtown. I had this pic saved but can't find where it came from for credit. Maybe it's the one you spoke of. Anyway, judging from the cars along the road it's about 1975 or so. That bridge was WAY up in the air. The massive stone abutments are still there.  

The bridge I'd like to see a pic of is the Genesee St. Bridge in Geneva, right by the LV Station. That was the coolest bridge, with its center pier and yellow flashing caution lights. Sadly it's just a memory now

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Rt.14_bridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2012, 1:45am by Kendaia1 » Logged
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans271_734x535.jpg - 41358 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 1:38pm »

As requested:

Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge over Genesee Street, Geneva, NY. Took this photo on 07 October 1984 purely on a whim.

The tracks over this bridge were gone by June, 1983 and the future of this structure, especially with that pier in the middle of Genesee Street, did not appear to be all that bright.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans271_734x535.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 2:06pm »

Nice pics! Bob, that looks similar to the one in Ken Kraemer's book (Exchange St pic). Yes, it seems like those bridges disappeared shortly after the tracks were removed in that 1983 timeframe. I do remember that Exchange Street bridge was WAY up there! Here are a couple shots of the remaining abutments.

East side

West side

~Charlie Ricker

Kendaia1
Historian
  LV_Pre-Emption_St._Bridge.jpg - 18414 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 5:52pm »

NICE TB Diamond! I haven't seen that bridge since moving away from home in 1983.  
 Now I just need the bridges over E. North St. and Doran Ave. Here is Pre-Emption St., looking north from the yards.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Pre-Emption_St._Bridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 7:06pm »

Thanks  to all you guys that had the brains to take photos of something that was in danger of going away. My hat is off to you. I never had that much sense.  Take err easy.  Keith

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans274_723x525.jpg - 35483 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 12:59pm »

Hey, the photos that I should have had the good sense to take but did not would fill several Kodak 144-slide carousels.  

To answer an almost seven year old query above, GY Tower was located in the southwest corner of the LVRR/Corning Secondary crossing.  

The photo should clarify the location. I was standing on the LVRR r/o/w when taking it, view to the west. The scene depicts a a ConRail lite power move which went over the Auburn Road to Syracuse. Taken on a dismal, cold and damp 24 April 1976.

The tower was abandoned in the 1980s and was subsequently demolished.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans274_723x525.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
davidyur
Railfan

« Reply #35 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 4:57pm »

does anyone have any photos of the LV when it crossed over what is now the park on Seneca lake on its way to the Geneva station.  There must have been a very long overpass getting the tracks to the station.  From the looks of the abbutments still standing off of  Rte. 5-20 it was a very high overpass and must have been quite a structure.

Kendaia1
Historian
  LV-Fallbrook_Bridge.jpg - 15680 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 6:17pm »

DAVIDYUR the LVRR didn't go through the park. It came up the east side of the lake, on the tracks that now belong to Finger Lakes railway. Crossing 5&20 on the current bridge, they then ran on the high embankment through the city on the way to the station. The track that FGLK uses to get from their yard to the old LVRR is actually an old LV yard track. The LV had a yard between the embankment and 5&20.  

This picture shows a LV train on the main, crossing the bridge over the NYC Fallbrook line, now belonging to FGLK. The west side abutment to this bridge still exists, but the east one is gone, along with that section of the embankment. FGLK built a connector right through there to get to the old LV yard track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV-Fallbrook_Bridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 6:25pm »

David, are you thinking of the bridge over East North Street? Reason i ask is because that seems to describe the area you mentioned, with the remaining abutments and all.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Kendaia1
Historian
  LVRR_fallbrook_bridge-1.jpg - 21975 Bytes
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 6:36pm »

Another, of of a LV F7 unit high up crossing the Fallbrook line

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVRR_fallbrook_bridge-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012, 6:39pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
Kendaia1
Historian
  LV_Geneva_Yards.jpg - 51444 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17th, 2012, 6:49pm »

The LV Geneva yard, just a few weeks from Conrail. View is looking west toward Geneva, with 5&20, Seneca Lake State Park, and Seneca Lake to the left, and the LV Main on the embankment on the right. Some of the poles are still there, but the embankment has been ravaged through this section. FGLK now uses this yard track to reach the old LVRR main track, running to Kendaia and the old Seneca Army Depot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LV_Geneva_Yards.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »