Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 20th, 2018, 6:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Caboose 95271 in Towanda / Wysox PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Caboose 95271 in Towanda / Wysox PA  (Read 392 times)
clifford1
Chaser

« on: Oct 21st, 2004, 10:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Looking for any information on the LV caboose located on Route 6 in Wysox PA.  LV 95271.  Most interested in where it came from.  Growing up in Towanda, I remember an old caboose on the side of a hill near Mechanic Street, which, if you are familiar with Towanda, is at about the highest point above river/track level in the town.  Now I went back home a few months ago in an effort to see if I could find that caboose and perhaps take some photos.  Needless to say I coudn't find it anywhere near the area I remembered it being in, so I started to think that I had warped my memory at some point over the last 10-15 years.

However, in searching around the web for things LV, I discovered the following links:

http://lehighvalley.railfan.net/photoII.html

http://lehighvalley.railfan.net/LV95271.jpg

The photographer states that he did not remember this caboose being in the location(which is only listed as "Rt. 6") when he was in Wysox 3 years prior.  Since my caboose had "disappeared" and this one has materialized within the same time frame, I began to wonder if this could possibly be the Mechanic Street caboose?

Somebody must have noticed this caboose being removed from the residential area near Mechanic Street, as it had to be a significant project to remove it from the hill it was on and transport it down the steep streets of Towanda to Rt. 6.  I searched to local newspaper online archives for any articles or tidbits about a caboose being moved, however I was unable to find anything.  Conversely, the original placement of the caboose at the Mechanic street location must have been an effort as well.  Does anyone have any recollection of these events that they can share?

I have always been intrigued by the rail history of my hometown, and this is a little nugget of information I would love to find out more about.

Thanks!!!

Chris Chamberlain

clifford1
Chaser
Re: LV Caboose 95271 in Towanda / Wysox PA

« Reply #1 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 8:58pm »

Any recent news?

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:11pm »

Hi Chris!

I don't have any news for you, but maybe a leadfor you to explore. Check out this link, maybe there's something here -

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21905

Hopefully, it'll help you out.

CF

One down, one to go.......
clifford1
Chaser

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 10:18am »

Just bumping this thread - lookinf for any more info if it is out there.

Thanks.

Chris C.

RBurton1942
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2018, 7:17pm »

Chris,
I'm using my husband's email account.  Saw your message.  When I was a teenager, Mr. Barnes happened to see 3 cabooses deteriorating in a field. Two were bought by the Barnes family on Bridge Street Hill.  My mom and dad bought the 3rd.  All 3 were towed to and then put on the shore of a pond owned by the Barnes's. The cabooses were in bad shape. Ours was metal and my dad, Fred Hatch, fixed up the inside of it.  My mom located and bought an original caboose potbellied stove for it.  Her dad had worked for the Lehigh Valley RR.  The man let her buy it b/c she was not an antique dealer.  Eventually ours was relocated to the Mechanic Street property owned by my mom and her brother. After my dad passed and then later my mom, it was auctioned off as part of her estate.  My family often used it when we were kids at the pond swimming and later on as adults on Mechanic Street when visiting family.

Cathie Burton
Wilmington, DE

clifford1
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2018, 7:13pm »

Cathie,

Thank you very much for the information.  I had just posted about this a few days ago on the Bradford County history facebook page!  I have memories of seeing the caboose when I was young, and always wondered what became of it (and of course, how it got there in the first place).  Great story!  If its OK with you, I'm going to share your response with those over on the "Bradford County Rearview Mirror" facebook page.

If you ever come across any photos of the caboose, please feel free to send them my way!  I am very much interested in the railroad history of Towanda and Bradford County!

Thanks again!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »