Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:19pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

REPORT OF FORMER LNE PASSENGER CAR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: REPORT OF FORMER LNE PASSENGER CAR  (Read 139 times)
ClearBoard
Railfan

« on: Jul 27th, 2016, 8:55am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I came across information regarding an extant former LNE passenger car buried in a post on Railway Preservation News this morning (rypn,org).   As interest in a possible LNE car may be wide spread, Iíll ask moderators to kindly post this information on both LVRR and LNE forums.    

The car is preserved in an abandoned shop building in Somerset County, PA.  According to available info, it was saved by Ed Metka, a retired federal employee and collector of old trolleys.  It is painted in Pennsy livery and shown housed within a former car shop.

The site is located in the former Berwind Railcar Shop (Berwind White Coal Company) at Windber, Somerset  County, PA., about 13 miles south of Johnson.   Based on available info, Windber was the end of the Johnstown Traction Company (JTC) interurban line destroyed by flooding in 1936.  The car line was cut back to Benscreek outside Johnstown, operating as a Ferndale to Benscreek one-car shuttle.  JTC was abandoned in June 1960.

A photo and info on the car is seen on the following link, about two-thirds way in (see the passenger car painted in Pennsy livery):

http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/wideview/where-trolleys-go-to-die-and-live-again/

Info about the collection and Mr. Metka is provided here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2015/08/23/Somerset-County-man-want-to-get-streetcars-back-on-track/stories/201508170008

A large shop facility is seen along 19th Street, just east of town, on Google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Windber,+PA+15963/@40.2360034,-78.8214251,131m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89cb053816023d1d:0xa0ddaecf95fbf859!8m2!3d40.2397986!4d-78.8350223

If someone could confirm the identity of this car or provide addition info, please do.  Likewise, if this lead turns out to be incorrect, or if this is a repeat of information provided elsewhere, Iíll also ask the moderators to scrap this post.  Rather get this info out than let it be missed by interested readers.  

Whatever the case, itís an interesting circumstance.

ClearBoard

ClearBoard
Railfan
Re: REPORT OF FORMER LNE PASSENGER CAR

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2016, 1:09pm »

Based on earlier discussions / thread between 2007 and 2014, this is LNE business car 100

Please see:  
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=LNE;action=display;num=1178125139

"...It was used by the L&NE until the end (1961) and was also used during the scrapping operation (1962).   It was sold to a restaurant in Strafford, PA and incorporated into the building. Around 20 years ago (?) it was removed from the site and apparently moved to this trolley location..."  

All that said, our moderator may want to combine these posts / information for clarity.

ClearBoard

Low_Water_Hogan
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: REPORT OF FORMER LNE PASSENGER CAR

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2016, 1:44pm »

Mr. Metka owns what is left of the L&NE Business car (IIRC #100). The car was acquired shortly after the L&NE quit for use as part of the 'Paoli Local Diner' later 'Connus Ale House' in Wayne, PA. In the later years the car was totally enclosed by an addition to the original building. The car was stripped of most all of the interior partitions and two openings were cut in the right side for access from the main restaurant building. As I recall there were about a dozen or so dining tables in the car during this time.

Following the sale of the property (now a Bertucci's restaurant), the car was offered to anyone who had the ability to remove it within a fairly short time frame. While I thought about acquiring it, I decided that the composite (steel sheathing over a wood frame) carbody and (IIRC) wood framed trucks made it a stationary item at best. When removed the car still had its original wheels from new as evidenced by the 1925 date stamped in each wheel. Mr. Metka deserves credit for his rescue of the car.

I reviewed the PennDOT special hauling permits and helped coordinate with Daily Trucking of Carlisle, PA the cars removal from downtown Wayne, PA. In my slide collection are my photos of the loading and transport of Car #100 through Wayne and also on I476.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »