Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

L&NE Station signs
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   L&NE Station signs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: L&NE Station signs  (Read 366 times)
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

L&NE Station signs
  portland_003_729x547.jpg - 67334 Bytes
« on: Jul 28th, 2015, 8:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As a kid when I walked across the Pine Street bridge in Catasauqua, I  always admired the L&NE Station sign on the freight house at Caty. I do believe it is still standing. Anyway since I would never find the real thing I decided to make a reproduction. I almost am finished , but wanted to share my results. Many hours of work and with the help of a friend Jim that has a real L&NE sign I got the lettering correct. The sign is on 10ga steel just like the L&NE did it. Wow they are heavy!!  Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/portland_003_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

Re: L&NE Station signs
  LNE_001_729x547.jpg - 58644 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2015, 8:30pm »

Since I did so good on the first one, or perhaps not,  this is my second attempt at a L&NE sign. I think this one is better. Practice !!   Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE_001_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28th, 2015, 11:05pm »

....handsome!....very nice, clean work. One doesn't realize how large these signs were until they are seen in context with every day objects....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 11:24pm »

Wow Keith.......fabulous work, I love it!!  

~Charlie Ricker

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2015, 10:46am »

Thanks Charlie and TAB. That is what us old coots do in our spare time.  Keith

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31st, 2015, 1:46pm »

Keith,
Nice work!
If you don't mind sharing, what is the diameter of the circle part & height of rectangular part of the sign? Font type of the lettering?

I grew up near the Sussex, NJ station and would love to make one to display.
John

Between NYS&W & L&NE but born too late to see any trains.
J.J.
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2015, 5:55pm »

Hi John; the diameter is 20 inches and the "wings" are 9 inches.  The lettering is by hand for sure. Their height is 5 inches. I have never seen another font like these. I have made well over 100 station signs and never had one as tough to reproduce as these. I worked on this project off and on for several years and just never could get the lettering correct. I had the metal cut out at a metal supply. That cost alone was almost $100 for one sign. I think I could have cut some corners on the steel , but I made them the same thickness as the real thing. It was a fun project.   Keith

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2015, 8:45am »

Keith,
Thanks for the info. It will be saved for when time allows to make it. I can at least draw it out in cadd and play with fonts & such to see what it may look like.

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE-SUSSEX.jpg - 192573 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Oct 6th, 2015, 4:30pm »

Here's my version of Sussex in CADD. Still have to center & make the L&NE RR CO a little bolder.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (192573 bytes, 1600x1280 pixels)

Click Here to View Image LNE-SUSSEX.jpg - 192573 Bytes

J.J.
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2015, 5:48pm »

Here are a few more measurements for your Sussex sign. There is a border of 2 1/2 inches from both ends to the start or end of the lettering. the red bulls eye is 10 inches in diameter. The width of the lettering for the L&NE RR CO is about 3/8 inch. However that changes at some places on the signs.  Nice work on the cad.  I believe you are going to do good. I did not have the "cad" option. Looks like a work saver!   Keith

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

002_729x547.jpg - 71638 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2015, 7:15pm »

John; Just wanted to let you know Doug Lilly's book on the L&NE has some great photos of L&NE station signs, Sussex included.  Here is another sign I did that now hangs on my garage.  Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/002_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

001_8_729x547.jpg - 54519 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 6th, 2015, 7:21pm »

One more done for a friend.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/001_8_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

LNE_2_011_729x547.jpg - 60510 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Nov 6th, 2015, 7:28pm »

This is the original L&NE sign from Allentown. This sign is extremely rare and very expensive. I can understand why. How many original L&NE signs exist today. I would guess very few. Anyway I think I got close. Take note to the "E" John.     Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE_2_011_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Nov 8th, 2015, 10:10pm »

That's some excellent work, Keith........very well done!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Nov 9th, 2015, 1:03pm »

Thanks Charlie.  I am still looking for another "link and pin"    Thanks to you for all you do !!  Keith

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2015, 9:23am »

Keith,
Thanks for the additional info. I did get the bull's eye right size (just a guess).
Will adjust the end spacing also.

I have Lilly's book, but it's been awhile since I've looked at it. Will have to dig it out tonight & take a look.

Yes, Autocad is great for things like this. There are tons of fonts for lettering, but the L&NE fonts were one of kind it seems, and I have not found an exact match. What I have used is the closest so far, but the letters may have to customized if I decide I want an exact match. Now if I had a color printer that does large items, that would be even better!

J.J.
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

001_3_510x701.jpg - 23719 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10th, 2015, 10:00am »

John;  You are in better shape then me when it comes to the L&NE signs. The CAD is a great tool. However you can't beat an old craftsman with a paint brush. And I have found out those old RR guys were just that. It amazes me what they did with so little. I just copy their beautiful work. Not much to it for me but time. I wish I had the true skills these guys had.  
    Keep at it you are well on your way to being an official L&NE sign painter !!
     I will post the photo of the real deal  Catasauqua sign that used to be at Kempton on the WK&S.  Keith

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/001_3_510x701.jpg
Click Image to Resize

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10th, 2015, 10:17am »

My next project will be to make all the railroad signs of Catasauqua. I already have the L&NE, and LV station signs complete. I have got to make the Reading sign along with the CNJ station and tower, and LV mileage sign along with a sign of the Catasauqua "CQ" that was on the tower there. Hard to believe 2 towers, 3 stations all in a 1/2 mile. All gone now except the L&NE freight house and the Reading station that is out on the WK&S.  That was moved in the early 1960's   Keith

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10th, 2015, 1:45pm »

Keith
I will probably end up hand painting mine when I get to it, although my hand isn't as steady as it was in my draftsman days. If I get it right with the cadd, I can at least make templates for the main letters to make it a little easier.

J.J.
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Nov 15th, 2015, 9:20pm »

on Nov 10th, 2015, 10:17am, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My next project will be to make all the railroad signs of Catasauqua. I already have the L&NE, and LV station signs complete. I have got to make the Reading sign along with the CNJ station and tower, and LV mileage sign along with a sign of the Catasauqua "CQ" that was on the tower there. Hard to believe 2 towers, 3 stations all in a 1/2 mile. All gone now except the L&NE freight house and the Reading station that is out on the WK&S.  That was moved in the early 1960's   Keith

Now that sounds like a fun project. I look forward to the progress reports as you move along with them. I find it astounding all the great railroads that were in place in Catasauqua/Hokendauqua and all around there!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »