Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 17th, 2017, 4:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Identity of L&NE train bell
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Identity of L&NE train bell  (Read 105 times)
rce
TRAINing

« on: Dec 29th, 2013, 8:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have about a 17 inch bell diameter brass bell off of what my mother had been told , was an old stream engine  with inscription of L&NE 1091 and another number on top of the bell- 1420.  My granddad had it in their house backyard from the 1930s on. My grandad worked as a Chief clerk in Pen Argyl and Bethlehem as Secretary/Treasurer of the railroad.(His name was Drumheller) and my great grandfather was a caboseman.  In my research of rosters I cant find any equivalent numbers for Lehigh locos.  I have begun to look at railroads that joined the L&NE such as Central New jersey which had a 1091 engine wrecked in 1895 and a Pennsylvania and Reading 1091 which blew up in 1921.

Any ideas would be great.  In our subject index if you scroll down to a topic Train bell . I have 3 pics of the bell in that discussion room.  Hope someone can help .  Thx!  Rod Edwards

alcoguy1
Enthusiast
Re: Identity of L&NE train bell

« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2013, 7:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I thought I replied to your post several years ago, but I guess not.  First off the 1091 and the other numbers are just casting numbers.  They are not locomotive numbers.  I suspect  this bell, along with the other one that is identical to it that my great uncle had, are both from class E-14 2-8-0's.  Why?  Because these bells have L&NE cast on the yoke.  If these bells were from a major locomotive manufacturer it's not likely they would have L&NE cast on them.  See, the L&NE changed the bells on their E-14 class from boiler mount to high mount on the smokebox.  In order to do this they had to cast new mounts and yokes.  As a boiler-mount bell the mount would have had a curved bottom to contour to the boiler.  As a smokebox mounted bell the mount would have been flat.  Knowing the L&NE's thriftiness they probably just cast a new mounts/yokes and used the original bells.  If any of the AFE records for the L&NE exist from that time period they may be able to shed some light on this.  Possibly the ARHS might have some of these?

-Alex Haines

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »