Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:16pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

L&NE Allentown Station going down!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   L&NE Allentown Station going down!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: L&NE Allentown Station going down!  (Read 1755 times)
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

Re: L&NE Allentown Station after renovations
  LNE_station_800x600.jpg - 71725 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 10:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The copper roofed dome has been repaired and uncovered..The green oxidation has all been removed and the dome has that new penny sheen to it..Looks nice with the landscaping done and the trees having leaves... I can now safely say the Lehigh New England's Allentown station is looking great and should be around for a good long while..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE_station_800x600.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2010, 10:55pm by IRR » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: L&NE Allentown Station going down!

« Reply #21 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 11:14pm »

When copper oxidizes, it turns into copper oxide, which is green. Have you noticed that the Statue of Liberty is green ? Same reason. So taking the oxide off only allows the next layer to oxidize and you have lost some of the copper to the layer you removed, weakening the dome. Allow the copper to oxidize and turn green and all will be well for a long, long time.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
IRR
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15th, 2010, 11:59am »

I'm clueless as to why they completely cleaned the dome..They might have replaced some of the sections and cleaned the rest to match..From the ground the dome looked in pretty good shape before the renovation work but i can't say i've ever been on the roof...LOL! It was shinier in late spring but i waited to take the photo till it oxidized some..I personally can't wait for the green patina to return...Unfortunately that'll take a couple of years

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 2:54am »

Thanks IRR for the update and all the photos!!!  Keith

RDG467

View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Aug 19th, 2010, 1:36pm »

The new construction contains a community room for the housing development that's been rebuilt around the station.  The ribbon-cutting happened back in May and I forgot to post about it back then......

There are also a half-dozen separate offices in the office section of the building- Penn State has a technology center, and I think Catholic Charities has one of the other upstairs offices.  

I'm glad they saved the office portion of the building--it's good to see the LNE name still out there after all these years.......

carajul
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 2:14am »

There is a color 1948 pic of the station on page 5 of the 1988 LNE book. It shows the entire thing. There were 2 tracks behind the station with the cement bumpers, but also 2 in front where the current parking lot is with those cement bumpers.

Sta was abandoned in 1959 and then used as a bike shop.

Alco1254
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Dec 29th, 2010, 4:44pm »

Just wanted to stop by this thread and add a little info. I grew up in Hanover Acres. The Housing project immediatley to the west of the old L&NE station. Hanover Acres and the former station were part of a huge public housing grant that Allentown has been trying to get for years and finally did. The former station is on the National Historical Society Register. Which explains why it probably wasnt torn down.

I have heard mixed reactions to the renovation and quite frankly my opinion is if some one can save a piece of Railroad history, and do a respectful and acurate renovation the so be it!  

As far as the ROW goes most of it is gone. There is a little bit left near Pennsylvania Ave and Club Ave. Bethlehem,PA Most of the Allentown ROW is Now Amercan Parkway.

henryS
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 6:49pm »

Hi, this is my first post after registering for the site. I too thought that the LNE freight office/depot in e. Allentown was going to be demolished, so I went out on a very cold winter day a couple of years ago and took about half a roll of color slide film of the structure, in the snow. Turns out, of course, that it was being restored, and is now a Community Center (as stated by a previous poster). I do believe that the copper roof on the tower is new, not the old one cleaned, as I watched the roofing job as it was in progress. That is definitely new metal, which looks distinctly different than cleaned-up old copper. Also I was told by a local fan that the LEHIGH & NEW ENGLAND "sign" had been removed and replaced, but the truth is that the lettering was merely covered by sheathing for the many years that the building served other tenants (a bike shop, a paper goods outlet, etc. At one time it was even being considered for an Allentown police precinct station!). When the sheathing was removed, the letters underneath were visible again. It's always good to see a classy old structure like this one find "adaptive re-use," as the preservation folks call it, especially in view of what has been lost in the Valley (LV passenger depot in Allentown, roundhouse-turntable-back shop at Bethlehem Engine Terminal, numerous towers, CNJ depot in Easton, etc., etc.)

-henryS-

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

LNE.jpg - 135813 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Apr 14th, 2013, 8:02pm »

Here is a photo from yesterday.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Apr 16th, 2013, 7:04pm »

the building looks great. One that almost got away. Thanks for posting.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »