Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 18th, 2017, 5:33pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bits and Pieces - Pine Island, NY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   Bits and Pieces - Pine Island, NY
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bits and Pieces - Pine Island, NY  (Read 2211 times)
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Bits and Pieces - Pine Island, NY

« Reply #20 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 10:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ken,
try this one:
http://www.gingerb.com/lne_trackage_rights_on_erie.htm
John

Between NYS&W & L&NE but born too late to see any trains.
J.J.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 5:49am »

John,

Thanks - It works

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-station1.jpg - 68239 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:18pm »

Not meaning to hi-jack Ken's thread but I happened to be in Pine Island last month and took some photos of the existing station & area.  
The station is now attached to a bigger, newer building. I'm not sure when the new building was built but it housed up until last year a NAPA auto parts store. It now is what appears to be a pre-school type business. I did not go inside as it looked like there was a birthday party of some sort going on, on this blustery Sunday afternoon. They have painted the outside and did some sprucing up as you'll see in the pics to follow.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-station1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:21pm by lt230s » Logged

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-station2.jpg - 69687 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:22pm »

Other side of station.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-station2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-station3.jpg - 66074 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:22pm »

End view of station.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-station3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-station4.jpg - 62274 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:23pm »

Another side view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-station4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-station-det.jpg - 46991 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:24pm »

A detail shot of roof support.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-station-det.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

Pine-Island-Junction-North.jpg - 94237 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:25pm »

This is looking from station north toward junction where branch joins back up with mainline.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/Pine-Island-Junction-North.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE-Pulaski-hwy-Xsouth.jpg - 63529 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:27pm »

Further north heading up Pulaski Highway towards Florida is crossing of the mainline. This is looking back south towards Pine Island.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE-Pulaski-hwy-Xsouth.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE-Pulaski-hwy-Xnorth.jpg - 91482 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 1:28pm »

And finally for this sequence is the Pulaski Highway crossing looking north towards Florida.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE-Pulaski-hwy-Xnorth.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 8:25am »

John,

Great Shots and thanks for adding to this thread. I was always wondering where this station was. Someone had told me a year or to ago and I just forgot.

We should pland a trip to explore up to Maybrook.

That reminds me, Maybrook museum should now be open  

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Apr 8th, 2006, 8:20pm »

Ken -  

The route North from Pine Island thru Goshen to Campbell Hall and beyond to Maybrook is iffy at best.

Around Florida, I believe a road has been built on top of the route, and south of Goshen proper, the mainline is visable if not hard to access, but the Goshen train staion is the Police Station (better check inside before taking pictures!) The route north out of town is thru woods and farm property (not many road crossings), and Campbell Hall Jct is private proprty, as houses have encroached upon the area, if I remember correctly, so poking thru the bushes probaly isn't a good idea. Too bad, because you'd probably find some neat stuff, like the turntable pit. I have never been to the Maybrook museum, how long have they been up there? I used to haunt this area 15 years agao, before much of the urban sprawl took over, and there was some of Maybrook's buildings still standing.
Here's a link to the Gingerbread site showing pine Island, Florida, and Goshen Stations - http://www.gingerb.com/lne_trackage_rights_on_erie.htm

Ralph

One down, one to go.......
njvike
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 10:55am »

Ralph,

As usual you have provided me with answers. I wish I could say the same about the Maybrook Museum. I haven't been there yet as I only found out about it two years ago.

Let me know if you are interested in going.

Ken

Franklin Jct
TRAINing

« Reply #33 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 12:09am »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the station pictures posted here are the Erie station at the southern stub end of the Pine Island branch, not an L&NE station. Ditto for the ROW pics along Pulaski Hwy, the Erie Pine Island Branch. The L&NE track ended at Pine Island junction north and slightly west of the station and never actually crossed Pulaski Hwy. and never entered the center of town proper.

I believe that was the layout, but if i'm wrong I appologize in advance.  

John

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 9:56am »

John,
Your are correct. I referred to it as L&NE only due to the fact that I think the L&NE used the Erie P.I. branch more than the Erie did since it was their mainline connection with  Maybrook.
On opposite side of street from station there was coal(the name slips by me) delivery co. that would have most likely received deliveries from L&NE. There was also Webster's feed & grain that may have been served by the Erie.
I'm sure someone will chime in with more accurate info....Marty Feldner, where are you
John

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2006, 9:59am by lt230s » Logged

J.J.
glenwoodhouse
TRAINing

« Reply #35 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:14pm »

Hello all!

I've been a resident of Pine Island on Glenwood Road on the base of Pochuck Mountain for 34 years and I know practically all of the train routes/remnants on my side of the mountain. The trouble is I don't have enough of the history and I stumbled upon your site while surfing for information about the mining village that was up there.

Does anyone know or remember the name of the hotel that was up there? I found it in the late '80s in the gov't center in Goshen while doing some surveying research but lost it years ago.

I own and operate The Glenwood House B&B for the last 10 years and would like to have more info to pass on to my guests. I'd be happy to take anyone that's been posting here on a group hike to the old ruins. They are really quite incredible, especially the stone loading docks at the base of the quarry.

I spent some time this winter on Google Earth tracing the old train tracks and then followed them by foot this spring. I found some great bridge/stone culvert remnants that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

There are a couple of places where  you can still access the RR beds w/out harrassment, however, one new owner doesn't like trespassers. I know him personally so if you were with me I don't think that he'd mind.

Take a look at the photo album link on my webpage for a photo of the giant stone wall (loading docks?) near the mining village taken with my son a few years ago. Sorry, I lost the original jpeg or I'd just post it here. www.glenwoodhouse.com. I'd love to hear from anyone with more Pine Island history.  

Anything on the Moorehouse or Roy family would be especially helpful as these were my neighbors as a kid and the original builders of my farmhouse.

Thanks.
Andrea Colman
Innkeeper
The Glenwood House B&B
Pine Island, NY 10969

845-258-5066

njvike
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 4:14pm »

on Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:14pm, glenwoodhouse wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello all!

I've been a resident of Pine Island on Glenwood Road on the base of Pochuck Mountain for 34 years and I know practically all of the train routes/remnants on my side of the mountain. The trouble is I don't have enough of the history and I stumbled upon your site while surfing for information about the mining village that was up there.

Does anyone know or remember the name of the hotel that was up there? I found it in the late '80s in the gov't center in Goshen while doing some surveying research but lost it years ago.

I own and operate The Glenwood House B&B for the last 10 years and would like to have more info to pass on to my guests. I'd be happy to take anyone that's been posting here on a group hike to the old ruins. They are really quite incredible, especially the stone loading docks at the base of the quarry.

I spent some time this winter on Google Earth tracing the old train tracks and then followed them by foot this spring. I found some great bridge/stone culvert remnants that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

There are a couple of places where  you can still access the RR beds w/out harrassment, however, one new owner doesn't like trespassers. I know him personally so if you were with me I don't think that he'd mind.

Take a look at the photo album link on my webpage for a photo of the giant stone wall (loading docks?) near the mining village taken with my son a few years ago. Sorry, I lost the original jpeg or I'd just post it here. www.glenwoodhouse.com. I'd love to hear from anyone with more Pine Island history.  

Anything on the Moorehouse or Roy family would be especially helpful as these were my neighbors as a kid and the original builders of my farmhouse.

Thanks.
Andrea Colman
Innkeeper
The Glenwood House B&B
Pine Island, NY 10969

845-258-5066

Greetings Andrea!!

I'm sorry but I can't help you on your questions although John (it230) might be able to since he lived there I believe. As far as the name Roy is concerned, that name is synonymous with Sussex County. There was a Roy feed, not sure if it' still in business or not and Roy distributors. More on the family can probably be found at the Sussex County Historical Society or by contacting Wayne McCabe who is one of the historical experts here.

I would like to take you up on your offer for exploring. I can't answer for Franklin Jct. (John) or IT230 (another John) although if it's train related, I'm sure they will go.

I have some articles on the Pochuck railroad and I'm interested in some of the mines up there as the Pochuck railroad had customers up there. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 5:15pm »

Andrea,
Welcome aboard.
I would definitely be interested in a hike, best time would be when foliage is off and after hunting season & before snow starts falling or early spring.

As Ken, mentioned there are articles & books out there. One in particular, but the the title slips my mind. It is Vernon Township (Images of America)by Ronald J., Jr. Dupont . It has a picture on the cover of a group of men standing next to a box car loaded with peaches from Pochuck area.  

Also, the Roy name is synonymous with Mills & Roy, Roy Brothers, both feed & lumber, I think. Definitely check out Sussex County Library, if you get a chance.

I grew up just over the other side of Glenwood Mountain in Wantage and had friends that lived near the top. I never realized how much history there was around  until I got older. Great pictures by the way. I always loved going to the Pochuck Orchard and picking apples, strawberries, etc.
John

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2006, 5:23pm by lt230s » Logged

J.J.
glenwoodhouse
TRAINing

« Reply #38 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:00pm »

Thanks for your reply guys. I'd love to take you on a hike just before hunting season. Give me a call as the time gets near.

I just found a great map site and thought you might appreciate this link to a beautiful NJ RR map:

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/rr_NJ_PA_NY.jpg

Regards,
Andrea

glenwoodhouse
TRAINing

« Reply #39 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:01pm »

Sorry, here is the link to the index page with lots of great NJ RR maps:

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/Railroads.html

Andrea

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint