Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

L&NE in Sussex, NJ
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   L&NE in Sussex, NJ
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: L&NE in Sussex, NJ  (Read 4061 times)
njvike
Historian
Re: L&NE in Sussex, NJ
  map.jpg - 49137 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Directions of the Glenwood area for the Pochuck RR/L&NE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/map.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian
  station-2.jpg - 89371 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:35pm »

I will provide a copy to anyone who wishes to have this. Just let me know.

Here's the Glenwood Station now being used as a residence. It is now for sale. Any takers?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/station-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian
  glenwoodstation.jpg - 81864 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:37pm »

Another shot of the station. An addition was place on here sometime ago.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/glenwoodstation.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian
  trail-3.jpg - 105366 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:38pm »

Looking at what we believe is the ROW

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/trail-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian
  oldstation-3.jpg - 96259 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:40pm »

Just another shot of the station

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/oldstation-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian
  backofstation.jpg - 72840 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:42pm »

Rear of station

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/backofstation.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:45pm »

John and anyone else interested in this area. I'm planning to visit this area again to explore the area to find the quarry and loading docks. They are there and I have been offered a tour so if you're interested in going, please let me know.

Ken

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 9:27am »

on Sep 10th, 2006, 5:30pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Was this where the line ran?

Ken,
The line was closer to station, basically where the cars are parked and ran across Rt.1 to the right of the small building across the road where it ended. Go to Ginger B site and you can see the tracks still in place.  
That was a NAPA store until about 2 years ago and the new front was added years ago when NAPA first moved in there.
I would like to do tour of Glenwood, but it would be best when leaves are off trees and hunters are out of woods.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2006, 9:30am by lt230s » Logged

Between NYS&W & L&NE but born too late to see any trains.
J.J.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 8:12am »

on Sep 11th, 2006, 9:27am, lt230s wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ken,
The line was closer to station, basically where the cars are parked and ran across Rt.1 to the right of the small building across the road where it ended. Go to Ginger B site and you can see the tracks still in place.  
That was a NAPA store until about 2 years ago and the new front was added years ago when NAPA first moved in there.
I would like to do tour of Glenwood, but it would be best when leaves are off trees and hunters are out of woods.

John,

Thanks for the info. I will head there now and yes, time to explore again soon.

Ken

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:13am »

Just saw this online in NJ Herald about re-alignment for Rt. 23 in Sussex.  
http://www.njherald.com/secure_story/291658987648215.php

Sunday, May 11, 2008
By CHRISTINA TATU  

ctatu@njherald.com  

SUSSEX BOROUGH — A decade-old transportation project to realign Route 23 through Sussex Borough has been awarded funding by the Federal Highway Administration and North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority.  

The recently modified Route 23 project will be included on NJDOT's 2009-2018 Capital Program, NJDOT Commissioner Kris Kolluri announced last week.  

Officials said it is still too early to tell when construction may begin on the $25 million project and how much funding is available. They will not know until the final draft of the project is completed.  

"NJDOT, the Federal Highway Administration and the NJTPA are engaged in a very productive dialogue regarding the state's Capital Program and the federally required Transportation Improvement Program. There is general agreement that some Tier Two projects, which previously were not funded in the Ten Year Capital Program, will be funded. Route 23 in Sussex Borough is included in this new list," said NJTPA spokesman David Behrend in a statement on Friday.  

The project includes the construction of a new roadway that will connect the intersection of Lower Unionville Road and Route 23, utilizing Walling Avenue. It will improve the intersection of Walling Avenue and Loomis Avenue.  

The original plan was to widen the road along Walling Avenue so that north and southbound traffic would travel the same route.  

However, county and township officials met with the state in February to determine ways to make the $50 million project less expensive.  

As a result of the meeting, instead of making a two-lane realignment, the modified project will use one lane going southbound and keep the existing Route 23 as one-way northbound. The northbound lane will also include a bicycle and parking lane.  

Sussex County Transportation Planner Tom Drabic, Sussex County Freeholder and chairman of the NJTPA Susan Zellman and Sussex Borough mayor Chris Parrott attended the February meeting.  

Parrott said even though the project has been modified, it still includes plans to straighten out a sharp "S curve" between the Sussex Inn and the Gulf station on Main Street. In the original plan, the Gulf station would have been demolished to accommodate a second lane of traffic, but the new plans would only take small "pieces" of land and leave the Gulf station untouched, Parrott said.  

He said the new project would probably cost about half of what officials projected for the original plan.  

The plan still includes funding to refurbish the Papakating Creek Bridge, which has some wear from weathering and salt treatments.  

The original project would have also eased the transition into Newton Avenue and Bank Street, but Parrott said the modified project will stop one block before Newton Avenue.  

"I'm very happy they are moving forward with projects on Route 23. It's really critical because there is a lot of congestion on 23," Zellman said.  

A little more than a year ago, the state purchased four houses across from the borough's municipal building, which would be demolished to create a parking lot for downtown merchants. The state will have to conduct an asbestos study before the homes are torn down, but Parrott says the testing should be completed by summer.  

Parrott said state officials will need to conduct more studies before they can give final approval to the revisions.  

"The state still has to do some evaluation of the separation between the north and southbound lanes and they also want to do a traffic analysis of the area and get public input. They said the studies should be done within a couple of weeks, at which point they will contact us," Parrott said.

Guess I'll have to get out there and see if there is anything I didn't get last time I was there.

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Jan 17th, 2013, 10:30pm »

Just got around to figuring out how to scan the negatives I bought off E-bay several years ago. Hopefully when I get time in the next couple days I will post them.Hopefully someone can give a date based on the equipment in the shots. There's no full shots of engines or even tenders but someone might have an idea.
John

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE002-2.jpg - 94500 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 8:24pm »

As i promised here are the photos I scanned. First is same as I posted awhile back without the ebay watermark.
Looking south towards Rt. 23 ( no overpass yet).

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (94500 bytes, 1024x593 pixels)

Click Here to View Image LNE002-2.jpg - 94500 Bytes

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE004-2.jpg - 59776 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 8:26pm »

Second is looking north. One can see the MOW building on left that I photographed on my hike along there.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (59776 bytes, 1024x550 pixels)

Click Here to View Image LNE004-2.jpg - 59776 Bytes

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE001-2.jpg - 91371 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 8:28pm »

Third is filling the tender with water from the tower. The foundation I  posted must be what was left of it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE001-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J.J.
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

LNE003-2.jpg - 79242 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 8:33pm »

Last but not least is a picture of one of the workers climbing the stairs to where the first two pics were taken. This must have been a coaling tower since the track in the first picture goes right underneath it & out in the this picture.

Anyone with insight to date/year/equipment would be great. The invoice I got with the negatives said they were from the 1920s if that's any help.

Also in the upper right...is that the remnants of a turntable?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/LNE003-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013, 8:36pm by lt230s » Logged

J.J.
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jan 19th, 2013, 1:46pm »

A great find. Thanks for posting.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Jan 19th, 2013, 4:38pm »

Absolutely great stuff! Wish I could be of help to the answers, but can't.......just wanted to thank you for posting those fine shots.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 3:06pm »

Always able to share.
Charlie,
Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom sooner or later.  Historicaerials.com has old aerials dating back to 1931 for Sussex, but they are not clear enough to see much detail. The next they have is 1956 and that don't show any of the features in these pics I got. Probably due to the fact the steam was long gone and the structures taken down by that point.
I did locate an excel list from the PA state museum that has track plans, etc. from the L&NE, so I just have to go thru that and see what is applicable to SUssex. So far I have gotten a few things pulled out from it including Sssuex track plans, Glenwood plans & structures. Just have to finish going thru it & see how much they want for copies.

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2013, 3:06pm by lt230s » Logged

J.J.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Oct 18th, 2014, 6:14am »

John,

Great shots!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »