Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:08pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Allentown Branch/other Lehigh and New England bran
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   Allentown Branch/other Lehigh and New England bran
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Allentown Branch/other Lehigh and New England bran  (Read 3943 times)
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Allentown Branch/other Lehigh and New England
  allentownbranchswitchstandPicture_003.jpg - 152021 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A disconnected switch that is still padlocked...wild  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/allentownbranchswitchstandPicture_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

kragmeister
TRAINing

« Reply #41 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 8:03pm »

Greetings all,

Bit of an update on the Bethlehem end of the Allentown Branch.  The south end of the wye in Bethlehem behind Casilio Cement was taken out and a trail is now on the roadbed from the Union Blvd ramp to RT 378 through to the Burnside Plantation area.  

A bridge over a drainage into the creek was turned into a pedestrian bridge and the trail goes over the westbound leg of the wye.  Where the trail goes over the line the crushed stone that was used for the trail fills in the track up to the top of the rails.  The other part of the bridge leading from the south leg to the west leg is barren of track and the track is all pulled out of the roadbed.  The switch were the west and south legs connect was removed and rail replaced.

Where the line passes the former Durkee site, now the Loewe's, there is a drainage ditch between the tracks and the Loewe's property.  There is no provision for a siding.  I'm not sure about the old switches to the old sidings for the Durkee plant because I didn't walk through the weeds that far.  I'll probably investigate more in the fall after the vegetation dies.

Later,
Greg

kragmeister
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 8:05pm »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the switch from the Bethlehem Branch to the west leg of the wye into Allentown is still in and has a nice shiny brass lock in place.

Later,
Greg

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #43 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:03am »

Greg, thanks for the updates...

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

Wm_Turnbull
Chaser
Re: Allentown Branch/other Lehigh and New England bran
  LNE_Schonersville_Overpass.jpg - 264591 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 11:56pm »

Here is a 2004 photo of the Allentown branch just after it departs from the monocacy creek.  These bridges are in the Schonersville Rd  area, just out of the picture to the right is Martin towers.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (264591 bytes, 1200x900 pixels)

Click Here to View Image LNE_Schonersville_Overpass.jpg - 264591 Bytes

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2007, 11:57pm by Wm_Turnbull » Logged
crosstie
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 9:24pm »

i walked this line in the spring, fairly    overgrown , west of here. some interesting switch backs, to the left of lowes. old industrial park. made it just west of 378.  too overgrown after that

ecm4
TRAINing

« Reply #46 on: May 29th, 2008, 2:13pm »

I'd just like to say that this is my first visit to railfan.net, and I've found this thread to be particularly interesting to me for two reasons:  

1) my great-grandfather was an engineer for the L&NE from the 1930's into the 1950s and supposedly ran some of the first diesels on the run to Maybrook.
2) I worked for a number of years in the former AT&T/Lucent plant off Union Blvd in Allentown, right near the Allentown branch.

The main employee parking lot used to be behind the building, separated by what appeared to be an old right of way (no track could be seen in either direction).  On the walking path from the parking lot to the employee entrance, I remember seeing some old concrete foundations with wires sticking out of them on either side of the ROW.  I assume this was part of a system to warn pedestrians of an oncoming train.  You may still be able to see this if you walk to the very edge of the new IronPigs stadium parking lot behind the Union Blvd facility.

I also recall some remnants of track in the loading dock area leading to a large garage door in the AT&T building, so they must have been a rail customer at one time too.

Again, thanks for all the great pictures and useful information about a rapidly disappearing facet of East Allentown history.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Jan 24th, 2010, 12:52am »

And za weedz keep on za growing on the Allentown branch

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

Lvfastfreight
Enthusiast
View Profile  

IMG_1604.jpg - 2360053 Bytes
« Reply #48 on: Feb 27th, 2015, 4:56am »

Allentown branch about '94/'95 at Weyerhaeuser lumber siding

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (2360053 bytes, 2592x1936 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IMG_1604.jpg - 2360053 Bytes

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »