Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 9:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

bye bye Pen Argyl
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & New England
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker, Henry)
   bye bye Pen Argyl
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: bye bye Pen Argyl  (Read 7880 times)
Mr. Horsepower
Historian
bye bye Pen Argyl

« on: Aug 29th, 2003, 9:24am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well it been said that another Wal-Mart will be built in PA. But the catch is it's going to be on the site of the yards and shops.  

Here is a link to the story

http://www.rypn.org/

Whats you opinion on this...keep it nice!  

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2003, 7:01am by Mr. Horsepower » Logged

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now." - The Blues Brothers
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: bye bye Pen Argyl

« Reply #1 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 11:58am »

Well, Mr. Davis certainly pens a fine letter...appealing to a developer's patriotism is better than to his heart...and is perhaps the larger target.  Sadly, developers don't tend to listen to these appeals.  

Frankly I'm surprised that the area hasn't been registered as a historic landmark and thus saved from development.  Perhaps an application to this end could be rushed thru.

The fact that these historic structures are going to be replaced by a Wal-Mart only seems to add insult to injury.  Something so unique being replaced by something so ordinary.  Sorry Wal-Mart fans.

Anyone have more details?  Chances for a last-minute save?

-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 2:30pm »

Actually Charlie I should have mentioned that it was only a matter of time before someone wanted to get rid of the buildings.

http://www.nrdc.com/photos.asp?Name=WindGap&ID=365

I wish it was saved, but the odds of that are probably against me.

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2003, 2:41pm by Mr. Horsepower » Logged

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30th, 2003, 10:11am »

This is sad beyond words.

There doesn't seem to be any way to stop this madness. On the bright side, it will reduce our dependence on foreign oil, since there will be no point in traveling. Everyplace else will be paved over and built up to look just like where we came from, so we'll stay home and go to WalMart. We'll log onto walmartfan.net to discuss our favorite temples to the god of consumerism. And we'll forget history. Who needs it, anyway?

- Bob

Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2003, 12:58pm »

When was the turntable filled in?

I wonder when this project will take effect. Maybe I should take one last visit again.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2003, 12:58pm by Mr. Horsepower » Logged

duplexdrive
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 10:03pm »

<sigh> I, for one, will never set foot inside another God forsaken empty box that passes for a WalMart store. The company obviously has no respect for anything other than the almighty dollar. I was surprised that they hadn't done this before. When the K-Mart was built in Wind Gap I knew they would be building a WalMart someday because of their absolutely insane fetish about building as close as they can to any existing K-Mart store. I have seen them take the tops off of mountians so they can build across the street from a K-Mart. The LNE shops land is the closest large parcel they could get their grubby hands on.

I'm sorry guys, if I sound a little angry. I'm just disheartened that another piece of our heritage will be turned into land fill. The shops building is still a fine example of industrial architecture worthy of preservation.  

John is right fellas. It's time to make that last trip to the heart of the Lehigh and New England. Or, if you haven't done so before, make the first trip and pay homage to the quality and craftmanship that once was standard in this country.

Along the old WB&H, waiting for the next trolley to arrive.

Russell Heintzelman
CNJGreen
Chaser

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19th, 2003, 6:00pm »

on Aug 30th, 2003, 12:58pm, John_S. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When was the turntable filled in?

I wonder when this project will take effect. Maybe I should take one last visit again.

John,

Did the LNE have a turntable and roundhouse, or a locomotive shop with parallel bays and a transfer table?  Or did they have both?  I have seen both referred to in publications.

Time machines will be built for rail historians.
Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19th, 2003, 8:41pm »

Both they had a turntable, transfer table, car shops, also the roundhouse. A hump yard was there at one time. It was like an average yard.

wlal21
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:13pm »

Just what  the Slate Belt needs. More mediocre paying jobs in a thankless company. Well, I guess the old shops were pretty much living on borrowed time anyway. The yard was my playground growing up. Hate to see it go. Plus it rubs out a part of history of my Father.  Who was a brakeman out of Pen Argyl.  Considering Waste Management has the south side of Rt. 512.  Thats the only parcel of land available. I`ll be there in 2 weeks. Might have to take some shots.

Working Local ALlentown 21 to the Bethlehem Dispatcher...
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 25th, 2003, 9:57pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:13pm, wlal21 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just what  the Slate Belt needs. More mediocre paying jobs in a thankless company. Well, I guess the old shops were pretty much living on borrowed time anyway. The yard was my playground growing up. Hate to see it go. Plus it rubs out a part of history of my Father.  Who was a brakeman out of Pen Argyl.  Considering Waste Management has the south side of Rt. 512.  Thats the only parcel of land available. I`ll be there in 2 weeks. Might have to take some shots.

Did you get any shots you can post? Jim...  

wlal21
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 5:00pm »

No Jim, The 3 days I was in Wind Gap it poured down rain. Big suprise for the weather you guys had all year huh? But it sounds like Wal Mart breaks ground in the spring. And I heard they want to put a road to it from Broadway in Wind Gap and follow the old right of way. Dont know if it`s true but I have a freind at GAF who would know for sure. He`s the Production Manager there..

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 1:36am »

They have a lot of no trespassing signs there and I got a little gun shy. Jim...  

hummel1237
Historian
  lneworkers1910.jpg - 72432 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 5:16pm »

Rich - Here's one from 1910 of the men at the LNE shop... Jim...  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LNE/lneworkers1910.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HB90MACH
Chaser

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 6:45pm »

Its a shame the shops can not be saved as they are a very compact complex that would make a good museum.  I have decided to go the other route.  Building a scale model as close as possible to the prototype shops.  Anybody know if blueprints of the buildings and site exist? And could be obtained?

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2003, 9:31pm »

Well, we could start a movement and petition. How many fans are on this site alone. Watch out Wal-Mart! Jim...  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 10:55am »

Our elected representatives are the problem and as you guys mentioned the Wal-Mart Corporation is just wants to make money and invest a minimum amount of money for maximum profit.
   It is obvious they don't care for history. (Wal-Mart and politicos)
   Unfortunetly, this is a country that wipes out it's history at a much faster pace than anywhere else on this planet.    
   Wal-Mart is also a big supporter of voucher-based schools, No Child Left Behind Law and looks to eliminate the public school system as we know it.    They also treat their employees fairly poor and are very much anti-union.    
   How's that for patriotism?
   Get your pictures while you can!

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 12:30pm »

I hafta agree with Eddie.  Wal-Mart tends to epitomize what's wrong with many American businesses.  Greed, rigidity, and a blatant disregard for history.  
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Henry
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 3:48pm »

on Jun 17th, 2004, 10:55am, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wal-Mart is also a big supporter of voucher-based schools, No Child Left Behind Law and looks to eliminate the public school system as we know it.    They also treat their employees fairly poor and are very much anti-union.    

Careful, bringing politics into RR discussions can be dangerous

I personally believe that the public school system as we know it is functionally obsolete and a huge waste of taxpayers' money.  When I was studying the problem a couple of years ago it was costing $15,000 per year for each K-12 student in the Buffalo public school system and they weren't learning much. The BofE was sucking down 60% or more of the City of Buffalo's entire budget and the kids weren't learning. Something drastic has to be done.

We all have seen the results of the government doing nothing about the RR problem for decades. Do we really want to maintain the status-quo with the public school system too?

That's all I am going to say here about that.

Henry

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 5:03pm »

on Jun 17th, 2004, 3:48pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Careful, bringing politics into RR discussions can be dangerous

Quite true, Henry.  And I don't know enough about the whole school voucher issue to comment.  But I have heard of other towns fighting against "Sprawl-Mart" and their demonic mega-stores.  I believe Sturbridge Massachusetts was one such town.  And I believe there's a Wal-Mart there now.

I just get the feeling that if they can put up a Wal-Mart on the L&NE site, why not tear down Independence Hall and build a Blinds To Go in its place?  There's also something galling about a once thriving hub of American industry being replaced by an outlet for cheap goods manufactured by child labor from the Pacific Rim.  Can't help but think there's gotta be a nice piece of bottom land somewhere that would be just as well suited to the purpose.  

And a side note...
Sometimes, we of common interest and enthusiasm forget that, by and large, the world only cares about railroads as a facet of the shipping business.  And that preservation of vintage RR equipment and structures, more often than not, falls upon the shoulders of a very few privately funded sources (with only sporadic aid from the public sector).  In fact, outside of you fellas, everyone to whom I mention trains either adopts a glassy corpse-like stare or begins glancing at the time.  And this is just one more case in which we are reminded that we exist in a society that values expedience and short-term prosperity above historic or artistic preservation.  

Sorry if that brought anybody down.  But I'm sure we'll all keep fighting the good fight.
-Charlie  

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2004, 5:20pm by Charlie_O » Logged

wlal21
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 8:32pm »

I guess we should be happy that it survived as long as it did. I think I wouldnt have as big a problem with it if they were putting in an industry that would offer the citizens of the Slate Belt  good paying jobs which it needs (hence my migration from there to north Texas in 1997).  But not a company who touts on TV how great they are to there employees, but can cut a "full time employee" from 40 hours to 28 at any time. Oh yea, thats American....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »