Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LHR wye at Belvidere?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   LHR wye at Belvidere?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LHR wye at Belvidere?  (Read 392 times)
joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

LHR wye at Belvidere?

« on: Dec 27th, 2009, 5:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello, I am a new member of www.railfan.net.

Recently did my first exploration of the LHR in Belvidere. I did see where tracks used to connect at G Tower.

Read after making that initial trip that LHR had a wye at Belvidere. I assume that what I saw was the old southern leg of the wye -- trains coming off LHR could go south on Bel-Del and vice versa. I also read that this was double-tracked at one point.

If anyone has information as to where the old northern end was located in Belvidere, I'll be grateful. I'll be sure to check out on my next railfan trip to northwest NJ.

Follow-up ?: Did the legs of the wye connect west or east of Belvidere station?

John Chester
Trenton, NJ

Henry
Historian
Re: LHR wye at Belvidere?

« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2009, 1:57pm »

The northwest end of the wye connected about 2,200 feet north of the southwest switch. If you go to the end of Mansfield Road/Spring St (not Mansfield STREET) where it splits into two driveways and look northwest along the tree line, that's the old northwest leg of the wye. It joined the L&HR main just west of the Greenwich St overpass and west of the L&HR Mansfield Street Station, which is still there. "Belvidere Station" usually meant the PRR station and people called the L&HR station Mansfield Street to avoid confusion.  

Did you notice the foundation for G Tower? It's quite visible about 250 feet north of the switch. there's a photo of the tower in PC days at http://www.thebluecomet.com/pcGtowerBelv65.jpg

Henry

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 2:51am »

Hello, Henry. THANK YOU for information!  

Since I have a lighter-than-usual schedule this week, the information you provided may cause me to get in the car and head northwest!!! Hey, that would mean a visit to Hot Dog Johnny as well!

I did see the old foundation of G Tower.  

Initially, I and a friend stopped to talk with a local who directed us to Foul Rift. En route, heading south out of Belvidere toward Phillipsburg, we drove over overpass under which is rusted single track that we assumed correctly was old LHR.

We then turned around and took a left. Drove as far as we could down a street -- didn't catch name -- with Bel Del now visible to our left and the LHR visible to our right. Big white house right in front of us as the tracks converged.

Ended up finding that LHR (southern end of wye) paralelled Bel-Del for maybe a quarter mile before joining it.

Belvidere a neat area. Since daylight was running out -- Belvidere was last stop of the day -- am looking forward to returning. Will check out area where northern leg of wye had been as well as Mansfield Street station area.

Best regards.

John Chester
Trenton, NJ

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 2:54am »

Also, Henry, NICE photo of G Tower!

As I kid growing up along Bel-Del in Trenton near mileposts 3 and 4, I always wondered about the area where the iron ended up north. Some 40 years later, I finally saw the foundation of G Tower!

Best regards.

JC

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 3:00am »

Henry, if you don't mind, one other ? that skipped my mind re: Belvidere.

In same source that mentioned northern leg of wye is info that southern leg was doubletracked to the east of Mansfiedl Street Station and that the tracks were on different elevations.

Would you know where the missing track was in relation to the rusted track that remains?

Best regards.

JC

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 3:06am »

Now that I think about it, Henry, I and my buddy may have gone down the street you mentioned -- after turning around just past overpass and making first left turn -- because I do remember two driveways in front of us and open area before line of trees to the right.  

We took left driveway and ended up with the big white house right in front of us.

I'll head down that street again on my return to Belvidere.

Thanks, again.

JC

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 3:19am »

Go to Penn Pilot (http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/).

Excellent site for historical aerial photos of Pennsylvania, dating back to the thirties. Many, in the far eastern part of the state, 'spilled over' into New Jersey.

Either navigate on the map to the Belvedere area, or plug "riverton pa" into the search box. Select the "1937-1942" era. Navigating to one photo south of Riverton on the map shows the area of both legs of the wye, G tower, and the double track.

The image is downloadable as a ZIP file, at much higher magnification than available in a browser. It should help in your next 'ground' search.

Mansfield Street was the L&HR's official name of the its station in Belvedere. It was listed as such in L&HR public timetables- as Henry said, to avoid confusion with the PRR's Belvedere station.

Henry
Historian
  BelvidereWye37-42.jpg - 485142 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 1:50pm »

Here's the relevant section of the 1939-42 Penn Pilot aerial that Marty mentioned. Click on the photo link to open it. The second track was right next to the existing track. The elevation difference was marginal, more like one track being on a berm.

I wish it was was a little clearer, but you can plainly see the second track. I have adjusted contrast some to make the tracks stand out a little better.

Henry

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (485142 bytes, 1594x1145 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BelvidereWye37-42.jpg - 485142 Bytes

Henry
Historian
  BelvidereMansfieldStStation37-42.jpg - 126863 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 1:51pm »

Here is the Mansfield Street Station area showing the small yard that was there.

Henry

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (126863 bytes, 1038x544 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BelvidereMansfieldStStation37-42.jpg - 126863 Bytes

Henry
Historian
  BelviderePRRStation37-42.jpg - 48287 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 1:59pm »

And finally, the old PRR Belvidere depot, freight house and team tracks in town, just south of the 2nd Street bridge.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/BelviderePRRStation37-42.jpg
Click Image to Resize

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 3:20pm »

THANK YOU Henry and Marty. I appreciate the info and other members may as well.

Best regards.

JC

purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2009, 6:39pm »

Hi Joe,
There are 2 of my books "Tracking Down the Lehigh and Hudson" in the Warren County Library, 199 Hardwick Street, Belvidere. I have some old pics of the station and surrounding structures, think there's also a pic of the double tracking under the bridge as well as some track maps of Belvidere. This may help you better visualize your hikes. Happy Trails!
Paul Miller

joesf16
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 11:21pm »

Hello, Paul. THANK YOU for info. I'll have to make it up to Belivedere on a week day. Or is library open on Saturdays?  

Have to imagine back in the day there was constant railroad noise -- whistles and engines -- rolling through Belvidere.

JC

CarterB
Railfan

« Reply #13 on: Jan 27th, 2010, 3:52pm »

When was the BelDel turntable (roundhouse) removed?

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »