Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Block operators on the L&HR after 1 April 1976
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Block operators on the L&HR after 1 April 1976  (Read 188 times)
Andyt293
Historian

« on: Apr 28th, 2009, 11:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was looking though the Boyd/Antz book about the L&HR over the weekend.  A few of the pictures taken after the takeover by Conrail showed made it appear that the block stations were still open at least until the Fall of 1976.

I thought that after the takeover, Conrail operated the L&HR trackage as the "Hudson Secondary" and crews ran from Allentown yard and back.

Were the block stations still open and why?  I would think that after the Poughkeepsie  bridge connection being severed that the traffic levels on the L&H would negate any reason for operators.

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Block operators on the L&HR after 1 April 1976

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2009, 12:01am »

Andy -

It's only a guess, but the fact that there was still ore traffic running and that the L&H route served as a way to link the EL trackage to the RDG/LV/CNJ trackage, would account for early CR traffic levels.

I do know some people I can ask, though.

RAH

One down, one to go.......
RRG2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2009, 7:36am »

Only a guess,but I would say no drastic changes were made right away. Maybe you can find some early CR Emp. timtables. When I worked that portion of the railroad, the power was kept at Hudson yard we taxied to and from allentown yard. We always did alot of drilling there.

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
JTE1953
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2009, 7:31pm »

Don't know if it's too late to get in on this discussion or not but thought this might shed some light on the subject.  In Issue #78 of TRP magazine, July/Aug/Sept 2008, Mike Bednar authored a story about a trip on the L&HR from Warwick to Hudson Yard that occured June 5, 1978.  According to the article there was still a block operator on duty at Andover, NJ at that time.  I have no idea if there were still operators working other locations on the railroad at that time but at least it seems Andover was still manned a full two years into Conrail.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »