Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

NEW L.H.R. BOOK
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   NEW L.H.R. BOOK
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: NEW L.H.R. BOOK  (Read 492 times)
purplzep
TRAINing
NEW L.H.R. BOOK

« on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've recently completed a book on the LHR. It's more of a structural study on the stations, sidings, and customers on the N.J. side. Approximately 250 pages/900 photos -99% of which have never published before.I'm trying to get an idea of how many would be interested in obtaining a copy. I'm doing a first run of 50 books.

rffalcone
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: NEW L.H.R. BOOK

« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:59pm »

Put me down for one!!

purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 8:54pm »

For those interested in the book please contact me @ purplzep62@hotmail.com. I can answer questions about pricing, content, etc. Thanks, Paul Miller

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 10:48am »

Hi Paul -

I know some very fanatical (and notable) L&H fans that will want to know about this book (if they don't already).....

Have you, or are you arranging to have this sold in local store like MRPO, The Model RR SHop, and the Big Little RR Shop?

It sounds very interesting......Is it a "in-house production" like Bob Fischer's L&NE spiral bound book, or a more professional (perfect in publishing terms) printed and bound (though not very well edited and proofread) book like those of Outter Station Publications? Looking forward to checking one out myself.........

FFW-1

One down, one to go.......
purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 3:48pm »

FFW-1,
Thanks for your interest. The book was compiled by myself over the past 2.5 years through research of libraries, archives, locals, and historians. It's a soft cover, spiral bound, professionally published book consisting of 254 pages with 900+ photos/blueprints /documents of LHR structures before/after format. Only the N.J. side for now. I'm distributing myself. First run of 50 books is due out Friday March 14th, many are promised out already, if I get a good response more to come. Mostly never before published photos of stations, sidings, customers of LHR N.J. I can hand deliver copies if you're fairly local to Morris County , N.J. I've gotten some great reviews from railroad and non-railroad fans already, don't think it will disappoint.
Paul-  purplzep62@hotmail.com

purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2008, 3:25pm »

Greetings! I just purchased Paul Miller's new book, "Tracking Down the Lehigh and Hudson - Phillipsburg to Vernon....the New Jersey Right of Way" and found it to be exceptional book. I belong to two model railroad clubs and do most of their printing for the train shows that we put on annually so I know what is involved in printing text and photos. Paul and his crew have done an excellent job of printing old photos, maps and new color photos. The layout is pleasing yet jammed pack with information. There is very little "white space" in this publication so you are certainly getting your money's worth. Buy the book not because you are a L&HR fan but because it is a great photo essay that could have been written about any railroad. Paul manages to tell the L&HR story not only in words, but more importantly, in pictures. I liked the contrast between the old black and white photos from "then" versus the new color photos from "now". Although the majority of the photos show the ROW as seen in different towns, they also included steam and diesel power, MOW equipment, freight and passenger cars. If you have followed this railroad for any period of time, you have realized just how hard it is to come by some of these equipment photos. Did you know there was a doodlebug? I also liked the fact that Paul, whenever possible, included photos of the same building or structure taken from different angles. If you like to model, this is a big bonus. Add to this mix, official L&HR ROW maps and documents. I never saw the L&HR in operation or any of it's rolling stock because I discovered this railroad too late. This book helps to fill in the missing gaps of a railroad I wish I had known and enjoyed. Paul, keep up the good work and how about a sequel covering the New York side? Larry Grant

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 28th, 2008, 10:44pm »

Sounds fantastic. I spent many a summer trackside as a kid in the area of Belvidere NJ.

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #7 on: May 29th, 2008, 5:07pm »

Hey Charlie O.
Haven't seen you posted here for a while, glad to see you're back. Do you still live around Belvidere? I was able to find some historic photos of the Mansfield Street Station for the book as well as a track diagram.  
Paul

purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 11:09am »

For those of you who live near or in Warwick, the Albert Wisner Library now has 2 copies of my book "Tracking Down the Lehigh and Hudson." They are located at 2 Colonial Ave., Warwick , N.Y.
Paul

purplzep
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 4:42pm »

For those of you who live in western NJ, the N.J. Transportation Heritage facility in Phillipsburg, NJ has a copy of my book for viewing.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18th, 2010, 6:15pm »

Hard times forcing me to sell my RR books. Right now my L&HR (Boyd, Antz, Morning Sun) L&HR book is on eBay. Used but bargain price.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lehigh-Hudson-River-in-Color_W0QQitemZ150434336468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230695ced4

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »