Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Freight cars on the L&HR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   Freight cars on the L&HR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Freight cars on the L&HR  (Read 284 times)
JTE1953
TRAINing
Freight cars on the L&HR

« on: Jan 30th, 2007, 11:40am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Can anyone tell me what the L&HR did for empties for their on-line shippers in the 1950's and 1960's since they had no real freight car roster of their own.  I am aware of the ore cars they had for the zinc business and have also seen photos of numerous LV covered hoppers at the Ogdensburg mine which I assume they leased from the LV for this service.  What I am more interested in is what did they do for boxcars??  I've read that they did a substantial feed business in NJ most if not all of which would have been shipped in boxcars.  Also I believe that some of the output of Lime Crest was bagged lime or stone in boxcars.  Did they utilize boxcars from connecting roads as they did with the LV covered hoppers??  If so from what other roads and what type of cars??   Thanks for any help.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Freight cars on the L&HR

« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 1:32pm »

Hopefully, knowledgeable L&H historian Marty Feldner will chime in with more detailed info at a later time, but for now, I will try to answer your questions as best I can.
At one time, the L&H had it's own boxcars, and also milk cars, ect. This was probably pre-WW2, more likely WW1 era. The L&H was able to provide good service and make a profit because it moved it's frieght (mostly from conencting railroads) on and off their property before per deim rates began, hence they got the line haul monies, and did not have to regularly pay the per deim charges. As the L&H did not ever really have that significant of a on-line business, so they did not need their own fleet of cars, and once the railway's raison d'etre was to be a bridge line, a car fleet was one thing they just didn't need to worry about maintaining, except for the ore cars.
The only advatage would have to make some extra cash from car service rates while the cars were off line, but the headaches probably would have outweighed the advantages.

The L&H, to my knowledge, did not use LV hoppers to haul the zinc ore to Plamerton, except maybe in the last 10-15 years of the railroad, maybe. I'm sure by the 60's (if that is what you are refering to) the original ore car fleet was on it's last legs, and CNJ cars, more likely, would have been used to supplant the fleet, either leased or bought used. The L&H had at least two versions of ore cars of their own design that were in captive service, again avoiding car service rates in the earlier years.

I hope that helps some, and again, I'm sure others like Marty will chime in eventually with more (or correct) info.

CF

One down, one to go.......
JTE1953
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 2:01pm »

Thanks for your input.  Yeah, I realized that the LV hoppers were used in the final years of operation and not while the L&HR had their own ore cars.  I should have added that I'm attempting to model a portion of the L&HR - or at least build a model with an L&HR theme - and want to try to be as accurate as possible.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 3:52pm »

Sure, glad I could help.......If you can provide me with some "givens and druthers" of what you would like to accomplish (either as a strictly L&H or an L&H "flavored" layout), I will gladly try to help provide you with an accurate "snapshot" of the L&H in your time period. I have four good friends who are L&H modelers, two in particular - One who has a layout featuring the Franklin Jct to Hudson yard segment, and one who models Warwick to Andover Jct. I also suggest you pick up the Boyd/Antz L&H book from Morning Sun if you don't already have it.  

CF

JTE1953
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 4:13pm »

I've got the Boyd/Antz book along with some others including the old Pennisi pictorial done back in the mid-70's.  I've always like the L&HR since it ran through Easton (my hometown) and even though I'll always be a LV fan at heart I probably saw more L&HR trains when I was in Jr. High School than LV due to the location of the school I attended and the CNJ mainline through Easton.  The real motivation for my idea of an L&HR based model was the article in the AHRS FD&S issue which covered a typical day's operations in 1959.  Basically I'm trying to model the period from about 1960 on and due to space limitations (the bane of every model railroader) limit it an area across NJ.  That way I can represent Allentown and Maybrook as off-layout staging and keep things fairly simple.  I'd like to include an interchange based on Sparta or Andover and some local businesses (hence my interest in the boxcars) as well as maybe one major shipper probably either Lime Crest or the mine at Ogdensburg.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 5:16pm »

OK, sounds good.......There is a modeler (Dave Messer) in Pennsylvania who models the L&H as if it was a division of the PRR. He models an approximation of the L&H, changing town names (to protect the innocent!), but when you look at the layout, you know what you are looking at, even if the town of Franklin is now the town of Washington. He has had this layout published a few times in the pages of RMC, you should check out the model magazine index at trains.com to see which back issues you might want to pick up.

Modeling an as if or an approximation of a prototype (due to lack of space or lack of desire to go to the trouble of modeling ever nut and bolt detail) is totally OK. Like Mr. Messer's, you can do a fine job (he is an MMR) whatever you choose to do.

If you have any more specific prototype L&H questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them, or at the very least, get answers for them for you.

CF

JTE1953
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 5:58pm »

Thanks for the additional info.  I am familiar with Dave Messer's layout - I have at least four of the articles that were published in RMC.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »