Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Greycourt turntable
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   Greycourt turntable
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Greycourt turntable  (Read 616 times)
rfalcone
TRAINing
Greycourt turntable
  100_0125.jpg - 225433 Bytes
« on: Mar 15th, 2005, 8:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Greetings all,

Just got back from a trip to Warwick and Chester last week.  Rev asked about the old Greycourt turntable in another thread, I think it was "LHR Upper End."  

Here is a shot of the turntable looking toward the yard with the Erie.  Through the trees on the left you can make out the old Erie ROW.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (225433 bytes, 1275x850 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 100_0125.jpg - 225433 Bytes

hummel1237
Historian
Re: Greycourt turntable

« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 3:42am »

Please feel free to fill up this thread with all you have on the Greycourt Turntable...  

Great Work!

Jim...

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 9:23am »

Cool pic, Rich... thanks for posting it!

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
rffalcone
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 7:32pm »

I was poking around and found this:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&where1=2%20School%20St%20Ext%20Chester%20NY

Click:  Birdseye in the toolbar

Pan northeast about 150 yards and you will see the old turntable in Greycourt.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008, 8:08pm by rffalcone » Logged
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 10:25pm »

I tried a Google Earth shot of the same area, and it does not seem to show itself to these old eyes.  The search maps shot actually looks like an empty circular above ground pool.  Help!  But if this is what you saw at ground level as in your 03/15/05 post, it must be so.

rffalcone
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2008, 9:47pm »

Andy,

I looked at Google Earth too.  It appears that they took the image in the middle of summer, everything has foliage on it.  I couldn't make out the turntable either.  The link I posted shows my old neighborhood in the fall.  No leaves on the trees.

My grandfather's property backed up to the turntable.  As I recall, it was quite an embankment where the railroad built up the earth around it.  It was pretty swampy between the L&H and the Erie main.

Rich

Marty_Feldner
Historian
  Greycout_pit.jpg - 49764 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2008, 10:32pm »

When things go wrong...

I'm not sure if I've ever posted this before (senility is wunnerful!)

The Erie had an agreement with the L&HR to use the turntable lead to switch the small Greycourt interchange yard- to avoid fouling the busy Erie main. One day, probably in the early thirties, something went wrong; this is the result. An Erie N class 2-8-2, nose down into the pit.

My father lived in downtown Chester, near the Erie Chester station. He heard about this, grabbed his camera and hopped on his bicycle for the short ride to Greycourt. The is the picture he took of the mishap.

Sorry I don't have any more details.

(The small print was badly creased and cracked; this is about as clean as I could get it using software. Still some damage showing, mostly in the area of the third driver.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/Greycout_pit.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rffalcone
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 8:25pm »

Alas, upstaged by Marty and his vast collection!!

Just kidding, great pic and a good story as we would expect from Marty.

The track in the foreground ended up being a stub.  I would bet, back in the day, it went across Greycourt Ave.  My guess is that it was the track used by the L&H to come down to the station and the yard.  The Erie and L&H would use this track for storage if the yard was full.  It ended about 10 feet from Greycourt Ave.  It just had an old pile of dirt and railroad ties that was the stop.  What was interesting was that it had a derail just before the switch down toward the yard.  Not sure why it was there but it was there nevertheless.

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:00am »

on Feb 26th, 2008, 8:25pm, rffalcone wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Alas, upstaged by Marty and his vast collection!!

Sorry, Rich...  

Thanks for the link to the bird's-eye view- I tend to avoid MS software and utilities if there's an alternative.

I have the 1903 Mueller's Orange County Atlas here, and looked at the Chester plate. The Atlas is generally accurate for rail lines, and that foreground track looks like it crossed Greycourt Avenue; in 1903, it was a double track crossing. The far track in the photo (switchstand just ahead of the trailing truck) doesn't show on the map, so it would have been added later. Just west of the crossing, there was a third track, that went about halfway up to Hudson Junction. I'll have to try to get a scan of that part of the map.

(For younger fans or non-locals, the Hudson Junction I refer to is NOT the current connection near Campbell Hall- that's a recent development that usurped the name. The L&HR's HJ was about halfway between East Chester and Greycourt; it's where the original 1860 Warwick Valley Railroad dropped down to the Greycourt station, yard, and turntable. In anticipation of the Poughkeepsie Bridge's opening in 1889, the L&HR's Orange County Railroad was built from HJ to Maybrook to connect with the bridge owner's Central New England & Western Railroad.)

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:04am by Marty_Feldner » Logged
lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 2:02pm »

If you go to Mapquest aerial view, you can see it clearly there. Much better view than Google.

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2008, 2:03pm by lt230s » Logged

Between NYS&W & L&NE but born too late to see any trains.
J.J.
rffalcone
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 9:18pm »

Another good view indeed.

An interesting aspect of Greycourt that I forgot was there was a very long passing track that ran from Hudson Junction almost to the bridge where the L&H main crossed over Greycourt Ave.  It appears in the all the aerial views I have seen that it was torn up long ago.  

Rich

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »