Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?  (Read 1484 times)
njvike
Historian
Re: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?

« Reply #40 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Mar 29th, 2005, 8:31am, njmidland wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I live in Allamuchy.  I represent the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society as one of the partners in the freight house restoration project.  And yes, the Mayor would like to rebuild the passenger station.

Tim
http://njmidland.railfan.net

Tim,

I also belong to the society but am new. I went to the dinner last year when Bob Mohowski was a guest speaker. I will monitor the site to see when I could pitch-in.

I noticed on the site that the group holds tours but I have not heard of any and the website only shows pictures from the 1999 tour. Did they stop?

Ken

njmidland
Chaser

« Reply #41 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:58am »

Quote:
I noticed on the site that the group holds tours but I have not heard of any and the website only shows pictures from the 1999 tour. Did they stop?  

We have not had a hike in the last several years.  However we will do one in the Scranton area as part of the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society's Convention.  It will be the afternoon of Sunday, October 23.

Tim
denjct
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 12:09pm »

on Mar 29th, 2005, 9:00am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hello Denjct,

I know exactly where you lived as I live about several miles from there. I pass there every morning when I drop my sons off to school in hopes of seeing the NYS&W but lately, she's been arriving in Sparta at some odd hours

I wish I could've seen the L&HR in action but exploring the abandoned ROW helps a little.

Did you like those apartments? I never see an opening and I would like to get my parents there as it's time to give up the home and all the work in having one.

I'm going to be walking the path down from Sparta and across Mulford to RT206 sometime this spring to see if they left anythying behind.

This group should get togehter and explore, if possible. I think it would be fun.

Hey Ken,
   A bit off topic here but I'll try to toggle. Yeah, the apartments were great. Tough to get in back then too, but I knew someone. I was 30, single and there were great looking chicks in 3 out of the 4 surrounding apartments. Not that that would matter to your parents.   Rent was reasonable, Susie-Q was coming alive and life was really, really good. I remember watching Susie pulling carloads of ballast out of the Limecrest plant (L&HR) in those orange hoppers. Then one day, I saw a huge boulder blocking the siding and closing loaded hoppers in the plant. Never found out what was up with that....maybe they owed Limecrest money. Then the boulder was removed and so were the hoppers. Back in '81, I lived in Stillwater and remember vividly stopping for trains at the crossing on Rt. 206 in Andover although, not too often..... and always without a camera.   Good luck with your parents.

Dave  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:02pm »

on Mar 29th, 2005, 8:31am, njmidland wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I live in Allamuchy.  I represent the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society as one of the partners in the freight house restoration project.  And yes, the Mayor would like to rebuild the passenger station.

Tim
http://njmidland.railfan.net

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! We need you here! Some of the rails are still in place around Belvidere and the bridges between Belvidere and Great Meadows Station are still intact as well. I have yet to explore beyond the Rte 46 underpass in Great Meadows. Ken says the rails are still there as well - Cool!

Any pics or info on your area is greatly needed - Thanks!

Jim...    

Btw - Ken, great job!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:05pm by hummel1237 » Logged
njvike
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 6:19pm »

on Mar 29th, 2005, 12:09pm, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Ken,
   A bit off topic here but I'll try to toggle. Yeah, the apartments were great. Tough to get in back then too, but I knew someone. I was 30, single and there were great looking chicks in 3 out of the 4 surrounding apartments. Not that that would matter to your parents.   Rent was reasonable, Susie-Q was coming alive and life was really, really good. I remember watching Susie pulling carloads of ballast out of the Limecrest plant (L&HR) in those orange hoppers. Then one day, I saw a huge boulder blocking the siding and closing loaded hoppers in the plant. Never found out what was up with that....maybe they owed Limecrest money. Then the boulder was removed and so were the hoppers. Back in '81, I lived in Stillwater and remember vividly stopping for trains at the crossing on Rt. 206 in Andover although, not too often..... and always without a camera.   Good luck with your parents.

Dave  

Dave,

Thanks again for all the information. Sounds like a place I would like to live and let my parents live in my house

The boulder still exists there today but the NYS&W picked up a new customer near Eastern Propane. The company (BOC) has something to do with carbonation.

I'm also hopeful that another company further up the road in Sparta will become a NYS&W customer. I heard that there were talks but I haven't heard anything as of yet.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 6:22pm »

on Mar 29th, 2005, 4:02pm, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!! We need you here! Some of the rails are still in place around Belvidere and the bridges between Belvidere and Great Meadows Station are still intact as well. I have yet to explore beyond the Rte 46 underpass in Great Meadows. Ken says the rails are still there as well - Cool!

Any pics or info on your area is greatly needed - Thanks!

Jim...    

Hello JIM!!!

I don't believe the tracks exist other than in the area of where Great Meadows is. I only saw the path. I did discover, however, that there are RR ties in the Huntsville area along with a tunnel. I will post those pictures this eveining under Fallen Flags -> L&HR -> Lower End.

I'm going back to follow the trail from Huntsville to Great Meadows to PBurgh over the next several days. Let me know if you will be in the are during the week.

Send me a message if you can.

Thanks!!!
Btw - Ken, great job!!!

Gixxer86g
TRAINing

« Reply #46 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 7:06pm »

When I worked for the Susie-Q,we did a crossing survey from Limecrest south to Tranquility.I don't remember the whole story,but apparently they wanted to develop a large industrial park near Tranquility airport.The line would have been called the Tranquility Branch.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 8:07pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2005, 7:06pm, Gixxer86g wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When I worked for the Susie-Q,we did a crossing survey from Limecrest south to Tranquility.I don't remember the whole story,but apparently they wanted to develop a large industrial park near Tranquility airport.The line would have been called the Tranquility Branch.

There is one industrial area that I know of that exists now. It's just before Tranquility in a town called Huntsville. Here's the L&HR goes through a tunnel underneath the cut-off. The industrial place, actually one customer is now owned/rented by Stacker.

It's unfortunate that things didn't pan-out but things may be changing here in Sparta. I believe they're clearing the land near Eastern Propane and a company called BOC. Word has it that a new customer(s) will want rail services

lt230s
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 3:26pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2005, 8:07pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There is one industrial area that I know of that exists now. It's just before Tranquility in a town called Huntsville. Here's the L&HR goes through a tunnel underneath the cut-off. The industrial place, actually one customer is now owned/rented by Stacker.

It's unfortunate that things didn't pan-out but things may be changing here in Sparta. I believe they're clearing the land near Eastern Propane and a company called BOC. Word has it that a new customer(s) will want rail services

BOC handles compressed gases, such as oxygen, helium, argon, etc. for lab, medical & other uses.

By the way, I grew up on the other side Vernon station & Glenwood Mountain in Wantage. Does that count as being even close to a L&HR town?

John

Between NYS&W & L&NE but born too late to see any trains.
J.J.
alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 12:19pm »

I happen to live in a L&HR town. I live in Easton, but im too young to ever remember the L&HR railroad.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

njvike
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Jun 16th, 2005, 4:19pm »

on Jun 16th, 2005, 12:19pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I happen to live in a L&HR town. I live in Easton, but im too young to ever remember the L&HR railroad.

I just moved into an area that the L&HR passed through but I'm 20 years to late as I wasn't into trains at that time anyway.

It sure is nice that we can discover them again even if by video or print. I would recommed the L&HR book by Boyd. You can trace the L&HR and see the before and after.

Ken

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 10:26am »

Im really intrested in the after years. Thanks Ken!

njvike
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 6:49pm »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 10:26am, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Im really intrested in the after years. Thanks Ken!

Enjoy the forum. I will be out hiking again soon to get the rest of the L&HR from Maybrook down to Sparta sometime this summer.

Ken

acmerlo
Chaser

« Reply #53 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 5:08pm »

to answer your question, i live out in easton, too...well palmer twsp actually.  I'm a lot closer to the the old Easton and Northern though.  In fact i remember i'd get cab rides when they'd run switching moves thru my neighborhood...  not long after they abandoned operations on there.

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 7:35pm »

What a coincedence! I live in Forks pretty much right on the Easton and Northern branch too. But no cab rides here. I was biking on the old line in Palmer last weekend.

Franklin Jct
TRAINing

« Reply #55 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 3:07pm »

Yes I did. Can you guess where? I have many fond memories of watching trains in the late 60s and early 70s when the line was still relatively busy. Sometimes I used to hang out in the caboose with the brakeman when they left it and the rest of the local freight under the road bridge in Franklin when the engines with the ore cars went up the mine branch to work the Sterling mine in Ogdensburg. I used to ride my bike down to the tracks an can still remember when there was an agent on duty in Franklin.    

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2006, 3:25pm by Franklin Jct » Logged
Marty_Feldner
Historian
  74CabooseRide16.jpg - 55136 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:01pm »

on Apr 9th, 2006, 3:07pm, Franklin Jct wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes I did. Can you guess where? I have many fond memories of watching trains in the late 60s and early 70s when the line was still relatively busy. Sometimes I used to hang out in the caboose with the brakeman when they left it and the rest of the local freight under the road bridge in Franklin when the engines with the ore cars went up the mine branch to work the Sterling mine in Ogdensburg. I used to ride my bike down to the tracks an can still remember when there was an agent on duty in Franklin.    

Franklin Jct-

A few pictures you might enjoy...

In April 74, I rode the evening Phillipsburg turn from Warwick to P'burg and back; a good friend was the swing shift car-knocker at Warwick, and on weekends he did this run as the rear-end brakeman. This was just before the Poughkeepsie Bridge fire, when they were hauling an extra caboose up and down the line. I was on and off the rear platform, looking or taking pictures, til I ran out of light just below Franklin. (Hence the not-so-great quality- Tri-X, wide open at f1.4, and shutter speed down near 1/60th by this time. All from a moving caboose platform...)

Palmer Mill complex, and the Junction, just before ducking under the viaduct.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/74CabooseRide16.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Marty_Feldner
Historian
  74CabooseRide18.jpg - 48490 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:06pm »

Under the North Curch Road viaduct, crossing the Wallkill River; station, order board, and stairway to the road.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/74CabooseRide18.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Marty_Feldner
Historian
  74CabooseRide19.jpg - 60011 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:09pm »

West end of the viaduct.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/74CabooseRide19.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Marty_Feldner
Historian
  74CabooseRide20.jpg - 42622 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:15pm »

Last one, almost no light, nearing the end of the curve.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/74CabooseRide20.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »