Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?  (Read 1478 times)
hummel1237
Historian
Re: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?

« Reply #20 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 6:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 19th, 2005, 7:18am, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Jim,
   I gave it a shot. I put some NYS&W rebuild pics from the video on the NYS&W board. This is the only one that might belong here. These are Delaware Otsego boxcars sitting on a siding with the L&HR main in the foreground. Location is near Sparta Sand & Gravel and pic was taken from Houses Corner Road. WB is to the right.

That works!!!

Jim...  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 6:30pm »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 5:58pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't live in a town where the L&HR passed but the next two towns over did.

Andover Jct and Sparta Jct were two area where the L&HR passed. The NYS&W now operates on the former L&HR line from Sparta to Vernon on the NJ side.

Near or close by counts...  

Any pics?

Jim...  

njvike
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:11am »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 6:30pm, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Any pics?

Jim...  

Jim,

Unfortunately, I have no L&HR pictures to share but only the abandoned railbeds. I do, however, have some new shots of the Vernon and McAffee station which I wil be posting later today.

The station in Vernon is now a Deli and the engineers of the NYS&W stop there sometimtes for sandwhiches.

The McAffee station was realocted and now resides off of RT94 just before Warwick as a home.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:14am »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 6:30pm, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Any pics?

Jim...  

Jim,

My memory is failing me here. I posted about a dozen or so pictures of the abandoned L&HR rails all over the place  Check within the L&HR, DL&W and NYS&W too.

rfalcone
TRAINing

« Reply #24 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 11:34pm »

Greetings all,

Some of you may know me from the other forum, some may not.

I was born in Warwick in 1961.  I grew up in Chester, just a stone's throw away from the interchange yard with the Erie in Greycourt.  My grandfather (Bob Hann) worked for the L&H from 1939 to 1979.  He was an engineer for all but 2 or 3 of the first years.  His dad, Albert, was road foreman.  My dad worked there for a time as did at least 2 of my uncles.

Lots of memories watching those trains as a lad.  I can remember when my grandfather would come down to Greycourt from the main and hop off and have coffee with my mother while the fireman would do the picking up and dropping off in the yard.

Looks like quite the place to be if one is interested in the L&H!!

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 5:50am »

on Mar 4th, 2005, 11:34pm, rfalcone wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greetings all,

Some of you may know me from the other forum, some may not.

I was born in Warwick in 1961.  I grew up in Chester, just a stone's throw away from the interchange yard with the Erie in Greycourt.  My grandfather (Bob Hann) worked for the L&H from 1939 to 1979.  He was an engineer for all but 2 or 3 of the first years.  His dad, Albert, was road foreman.  My dad worked there for a time as did at least 2 of my uncles.

Lots of memories watching those trains as a lad.  I can remember when my grandfather would come down to Greycourt from the main and hop off and have coffee with my mother while the fireman would do the picking up and dropping off in the yard.

Looks like quite the place to be if one is interested in the L&H!!

Great! Thanks for coming in! We need you and your story! If it's ok with you we will all be asking lots of questions as time goes on...

Jim...  

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:24am »

on Mar 4th, 2005, 11:34pm, rfalcone wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...I can remember when my grandfather would come down to Greycourt from the main and hop off and have coffee with my mother while the fireman would do the picking up and dropping off in the yard.

Ditto - welcome aboard!

Your grandfather's "domestic detours" are a sweet memory. I do wonder how deep the hot water would have been if anything happened to his train during his absence. Or maybe things were just more casual on a small railroad where his father was road foreman...  

Please jump right in and share more of your first-hand stories - we love 'em!

- Bob

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 3:57am »

Thanks everyone for your posts!!!

I guess one of the goals in this thread was to find people close enough to L&HR towns so we could have more coverage of the trackage be it abandoned or active. Takes a load off trying to fan the whole system and would produce more of the "hard to get with power" pics if you lived close enough to fan it. For example power on the L&HR between Belvidere and Phillipsburg is hard to get and I live in Belvidere. I have the best chance of a sighting in Belvidere where as say Jeff has the best chance at Jim Thorpe, Bryan has the best chance on the CNJ at Bethlehem/Allentown, Ken has the best chance in the upper L&HR, and so on...

Does anyone live near or fan Palmerton PA? I hear there's action there at the right time of the week and the right hours...

Jim...

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 3:58am by hummel1237 » Logged
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Palmerton2_H66.jpg - 54658 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:16am »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 3:57am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I guess one of the goals in this thread was to find people close enough to L&HR towns so we could have more coverage of the trackage be it abandoned or active. Takes a load off trying to fan the whole system and would produce more of the "hard to get with power" pics if you lived close enough to fan it. For example power on the L&HR between Belvidere and Phillipsburg is hard to get and I live in Belvidere. I have the best chance of a sighting in Belvidere where as say Jeff has the best chance at Jim Thorpe, Bryan has the best chance on the CNJ at Bethlehem/Allentown, Ken has the best chance in the upper L&HR, and so on...

Does anyone live near or fan Palmerton PA? I hear there's action there at the right time of the week and the right hours...

Jim...

Hey Jim, I occasionally get up to Palmerton and when I do I always bring my camera gear. Palmerton's also the home of the Chestnut Ridge Railway. So one day I was just coming into town and heard H66 on the scanner calling the Lehigh Gap signals. Pulled over and got this shot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/Palmerton2_H66.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 8:18am by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 9:54am »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 8:16am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Jim, I occasionally get up to Palmerton and when I do I always bring my camera gear. Palmerton's also the home of the Chestnut Ridge Railway. So one day I was just coming into town and heard H66 on the scanner calling the Lehigh Gap signals. Pulled over and got this shot.

Wow! So there's a tie in between the Chestnut Ridge Railway and the L&HR - Cool!

Cool Pic!  

Jim....  

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 3:32pm »

I sometimes head down to Palmerton but tend to stick more to the North of that except for occasional railfanning in Catasaqua and Allentown areas on the Lehigh Line. Everytime I head down around the Lehighton Area I always head up to Glen Onoko, Jim Thorpe, Packerton, and Lehighton along my way. I always take Route 54 from Jim Thorpe back home just hoping to see a set of CNJ units, running the local to Haucks, fly by on the Nesquehoning Branch...

-Jeff

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CHR10.jpg - 23634 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 3:54pm »

Sometime next week I'm going to try to catch the CHR crew.  But here's an old CHR pic I have. Alco S2 #10 at Palmerton Yard.  This engine was scrapped in the early 1970's.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/CHR10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2005, 3:55pm by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 3:38am »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 5:58pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't live in a town where the L&HR passed but the next two towns over did.

Andover Jct and Sparta Jct were two area where the L&HR passed. The NYS&W now operates on the former L&HR line from Sparta to Vernon on the NJ side.

Wow! Do you have or can you get power shots on the former L&HR "run throughs"  at those spots?

Jim...  

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2005, 3:40am by hummel1237 » Logged
njmidland
Chaser

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 10:17am »

Allamuchy, NJ

Tim

Tim
njvike
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 7:17pm »

on Mar 17th, 2005, 3:57am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Jim...

Jim,

I hit the jackpot this weekend in catching some L&HR signals and some other nice shots. Will be posting soon. You have to come up here as there's SO MUCH RR to see. I live in an area where six railroads existed. Unfortunately, only one still exists today and that's the NYS&W.

More to follow.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 7:19pm »

on Mar 28th, 2005, 10:17am, njmidland wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Allamuchy, NJ

Tim

Tim,

Looks like you beat me to the punch That was one of my surprises for the board. Oh,well. Great shot. Are you in the Sussex - Warren area?

rfalcone
TRAINing

« Reply #36 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 7:59pm »

That looks like the same freight house in the Boyd/Antz book.  Check out page 79 in the section on the FDR visit.

I will have to check but I believe my grandfather was the engineer on the pilot engine on that trip.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:08am »

on Mar 28th, 2005, 7:59pm, rfalcone wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That looks like the same freight house in the Boyd/Antz book.  Check out page 79 in the section on the FDR visit.

I will have to check but I believe my grandfather was the engineer on the pilot engine on that trip.

That would be the one   I only wish they kept the passenger station  

njmidland
Chaser

« Reply #38 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 8:31am »

Quote:
That was one of my surprises for the board. Oh,well. Great shot. Are you in the Sussex - Warren area?

I live in Allamuchy.  I represent the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society as one of the partners in the freight house restoration project.  And yes, the Mayor would like to rebuild the passenger station.

Tim
http://njmidland.railfan.net

Tim
njvike
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:00am »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 9:46am, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In May of 1986, I moved into The Ascot Park Apartments on Mulford Road in Andover. I could see the L&HR from my bedroom window, but there are no pictures of any trains. I went to work one morning and saw the track machines there and when I came home, the tracks were gone. There is a happy ending though. About a mile up the road, they were in the process of rebuilding the NYS&W. Although I missed the L&HR, the Suzy-Q was simply awesome at easing the pain. I have many videos of the rebuilding and the operation over the years. As a side note, one of my bands use to rehearse in Lake Iliff  (1979-81) and on a number of occasions, I would see Conrail's attempts to operate the little bit of remaining business on the line, usually with a black PC geep. One time on my way home, I stopped at the flashing lights only to wake up an hour later with the lights still flashing and no train within miles. At that point, I felt it was OK to carefully cross the tracks.  

Hello Denjct,

I know exactly where you lived as I live about several miles from there. I pass there every morning when I drop my sons off to school in hopes of seeing the NYS&W but lately, she's been arriving in Sparta at some odd hours

I wish I could've seen the L&HR in action but exploring the abandoned ROW helps a little.

Did you like those apartments? I never see an opening and I would like to get my parents there as it's time to give up the home and all the work in having one.

I'm going to be walking the path down from Sparta and across Mulford to RT206 sometime this spring to see if they left anythying behind.

This group should get togehter and explore, if possible. I think it would be fun.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »