Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?  (Read 1485 times)
hummel1237
Historian
  grs5.jpg - 79622 Bytes
« on: Feb 15th, 2005, 3:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Do you live in or near an L&HR town. The L&HRs long arm reached up to not only Maybrook NY but with its leases as far as Allentown and even Jim Thorpe/Mauch Chunk. Check out the L&HR Maps and the CNJ from Phillipsburg to Allentown and Jim Thorpe and post whatever pics and info you have.  

I live in Belvidere NJ and here's a shot with power just below town at a place called Foul Rift NJ...

Jim...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/grs5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Do You Live In An L&HR Town?
  Roxburg5.jpg - 65623 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 4:30pm »

Great thread idea! I live in the L&NE and DL&W town of Nazareth, but live near the L&HR routes. Here's the NS H70 coal train at Roxburg, near Foul Rift.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/Roxburg5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2005, 4:31pm by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

GuilfordH65.jpg - 85340 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 4:39pm »

The L&HR Maybrook-Allentown freights terminated at the CNJ's Allentown Yard via the CNJ main line through trackage rights agreement.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/GuilfordH65.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2005, 4:41pm by NS3360 » Logged

hummel1237
Historian
  bethlehempa3.jpg - 57464 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 4:21am »

Thanks for coming in Bryan! I think you were the one that told me about the Allentown to Jim Thorpe/Mauch Chunk lease.

Charlie O gave me some great thread ideas and this was one of them!  

Thanks Charles!

Jim...  

Bryan - I guess this would be the nearest L&HR spot in relation to Nazareth. The CNJ at Bethlehem. The L&NE connects just above this station right? Did you have any pics of a train coming off the CNJ/L&HR and turning up the L&NE to Nazareth at this location. Love to see 'em or I am eager to go get some if not...  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/bethlehempa3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 4:38am by hummel1237 » Logged
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 4:34am »

Don't be shy everyone. If you ever lived in or near a L&HR town you're in. Maybrook NY through NJ to Phillipsburg NJ/Easton PA. Easton PA to Allentown PA and Allentown PA to Jim Thorpe PA. There are lots of towns in between so All Aboard...

Jim...

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

90MBethlehem.jpg - 69431 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:24am »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 4:21am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for coming in Bryan! I think you were the one that told me about the Allentown to Jim Thorpe/Mauch Chunk lease.

Charlie O gave me some great thread ideas and this was one of them!  

Thanks Charles!

Jim...  

Bryan - I guess this would be the nearest L&HR spot in relation to Nazareth. The CNJ at Bethlehem. The L&NE connects just above this station right? Did you have any pics of a train coming off the CNJ/L&HR and turning up the L&NE to Nazareth at this location. Love to see 'em or I am eager to go get some if not...  

Yup, I have some The LNE diverged at the interlocking JU, now called CP-JU (Controlled Point JU). Here's the work train 90M shoving up the Cement Secondary. This train had to be pushed up the LNE because they were spreading rock ballast to repair damages from Hurricane Ivan. The last cars are on the LNE while the the head end cars and the engines are on the CNJ/L&HR.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/90MBethlehem.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2005, 7:25am by NS3360 » Logged

denjct
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:46am »

In May of 1986, I moved into The Ascot Park Apartments on Mulford Road in Andover. I could see the L&HR from my bedroom window, but there are no pictures of any trains. I went to work one morning and saw the track machines there and when I came home, the tracks were gone. There is a happy ending though. About a mile up the road, they were in the process of rebuilding the NYS&W. Although I missed the L&HR, the Suzy-Q was simply awesome at easing the pain. I have many videos of the rebuilding and the operation over the years. As a side note, one of my bands use to rehearse in Lake Iliff  (1979-81) and on a number of occasions, I would see Conrail's attempts to operate the little bit of remaining business on the line, usually with a black PC geep. One time on my way home, I stopped at the flashing lights only to wake up an hour later with the lights still flashing and no train within miles. At that point, I felt it was OK to carefully cross the tracks.  

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 3:06pm »

I live about 20-25 miles West of Jim Thorpe. Not sure if that counts or not. Great thread, Jim. Can't wait to see it take off (even more then it already has).

-Jeff

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:36am »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 9:46am, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In May of 1986, I moved into The Ascot Park Apartments on Mulford Road in Andover. I could see the L&HR from my bedroom window, but there are no pictures of any trains. I went to work one morning and saw the track machines there and when I came home, the tracks were gone. There is a happy ending though. About a mile up the road, they were in the process of rebuilding the NYS&W. Although I missed the L&HR, the Suzy-Q was simply awesome at easing the pain. I have many videos of the rebuilding and the operation over the years. As a side note, one of my bands use to rehearse in Lake Iliff  (1979-81) and on a number of occasions, I would see Conrail's attempts to operate the little bit of remaining business on the line, usually with a black PC geep. One time on my way home, I stopped at the flashing lights only to wake up an hour later with the lights still flashing and no train within miles. At that point, I felt it was OK to carefully cross the tracks.  

Wow!!! What a neat story!!! Do you have any pics you can share on the nearby Susie Q or the PC engine working the bit o' L&HR?

Thanks for coming in!

Jim...  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:42am »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 3:06pm, Jeff_K. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I live about 20-25 miles West of Jim Thorpe. Not sure if that counts or not. Great thread, Jim. Can't wait to see it take off (even more then it already has).

-Jeff

I know you have pics of Jim Thorpe, Packerton Yard, Lehighton, etc., and that more than counts...  

Thanks for coming in!

Jim...  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:54am »

on Feb 16th, 2005, 7:24am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yup, I have some The LNE diverged at the interlocking JU, now called CP-JU (Controlled Point JU). Here's the work train 90M shoving up the Cement Secondary. This train had to be pushed up the LNE because they were spreading rock ballast to repair damages from Hurricane Ivan. The last cars are on the LNE while the the head end cars and the engines are on the CNJ/L&HR.

DUDE!!! That is an Awesome shot!!! Like you said, all three roads would have been in play during the CNJ/L&HR years and that includes the L&NE! Very Cool!!! I mean if we were to have a 1940s or 50's meet thread we could have seen L&NE power meet L&HR power in a pic at this very spot! Wild!

What other spots would this type of thing have happend at - Phillipsburg NJ for sure. Does anyone have an old CNJ map they could post of all the towns and the line from Jim Thorpe/Mauch Chunk PA to Phillipsburg NJ?

Jim...

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:56am by hummel1237 » Logged
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

LVRRs.jpg - 50655 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:21am »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 3:54am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

DUDE!!! That is an Awesome shot!!! Like you said, all three roads would have been in play during the CNJ/L&HR years and that includes the L&NE! Very Cool!!! I mean if we were to have a 1940s or 50's meet thread we could have seen L&NE power meet L&HR power in a pic at this very spot! Wild!

What other spots would this type of thing have happend at - Phillipsburg NJ for sure. Does anyone have an old CNJ map they could post of all the towns and the line from Jim Thorpe/Mauch Chunk PA to Phillipsburg NJ?

Jim...

Thanks Jim.  I agree seeing a meet like that would be wild. Here's a map with town names. This map shows the CNJ town names from Phillipsburg all the way to White Haven. The CNJ/L&HR is on the North side of the Lehigh River.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/LVRRs.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:25am by NS3360 » Logged

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

NS3058_Lehighton.jpg - 81392 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:15pm »

Glad to come in Jim as always. This forum is a great place.

As for those photos...

-Jeff

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/NS3058_Lehighton.jpg
Click Image to Resize

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 3:36pm »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 3:15pm, Jeff_K. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Glad to come in Jim as always. This forum is a great place.

As for those photos...

-Jeff

Excellent! Packerton right?

Jim...  

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:47pm »

Eastbound CP-Lehighton Signals. Packerton is at the other side of the yard. Its pretty much the same location though.

-Jeff

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 5:46am »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 11:21am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks Jim.  I agree seeing a meet like that would be wild. Here's a map with town names. This map shows the CNJ town names from Phillipsburg all the way to White Haven. The CNJ/L&HR is on the North side of the Lehigh River.

Thanks for the map! Big help!!!

Jim...  

denjct
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 10:51am »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 3:36am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow!!! What a neat story!!! Do you have any pics you can share on the nearby Susie Q or the PC engine working the bit o' L&HR?

Thanks for coming in!

Jim...  

Well Jim, everything I have was recorded with a VHS analog video camera because I didn't own a regular camera at the time. I'm in the process of putting all my VHS tapes on DVD and when I get to that one, ( probably around 2015 I'll be able to pull some stills off for everyone. I even have a killer shot of this track machine the NYS&W had that had these arms (saws) on the sides that sawed off all the trees along the ROW. For quite a few years, all you saw were stumps along the side of the tracks. Unfortunately, I don't have anything tangible from the L&HR. I only have what's left in the memory of my rapidly deteriorating mind.  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 3:50pm »

on Feb 18th, 2005, 10:51am, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well Jim, everything I have was recorded with a VHS analog video camera because I didn't own a regular camera at the time. I'm in the process of putting all my VHS tapes on DVD and when I get to that one, ( probably around 2015 I'll be able to pull some stills off for everyone. I even have a killer shot of this track machine the NYS&W had that had these arms (saws) on the sides that sawed off all the trees along the ROW. For quite a few years, all you saw were stumps along the side of the tracks. Unfortunately, I don't have anything tangible from the L&HR. I only have what's left in the memory of my rapidly deteriorating mind.  

I know how it is. When I started fanning that's all I did was video. Charlie O told me to take stills also. I'm glad I started doing that and I now can see what he meant. If I had taken stills while the camcorder was on the pod I would have some really great shots of 2317 coming down the Lackawanna and right by all the old stations. She came all the way down to Slateford! I really wish I had stills of that...

Jim...

denjct
Historian
  NYSW_on_the_LHR_Sparta.jpg - 40248 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 7:18am »

on Feb 18th, 2005, 3:50pm, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I know how it is. When I started fanning that's all I did was video. Charlie O told me to take stills also. I'm glad I started doing that and I now can see what he meant. If I had taken stills while the camcorder was on the pod I would have some really great shots of 2317 coming down the Lackawanna and right by all the old stations. She came all the way down to Slateford! I really wish I had stills of that...

Jim...

Jim,
   I gave it a shot. I put some NYS&W rebuild pics from the video on the NYS&W board. This is the only one that might belong here. These are Delaware Otsego boxcars sitting on a siding with the L&HR main in the foreground. Location is near Sparta Sand & Gravel and pic was taken from Houses Corner Road. WB is to the right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/NYSW_on_the_LHR_Sparta.jpg
Click Image to Resize

njvike
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 5:58pm »

I don't live in a town where the L&HR passed but the next two towns over did.

Andover Jct and Sparta Jct were two area where the L&HR passed. The NYS&W now operates on the former L&HR line from Sparta to Vernon on the NJ side.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »