Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

L&HR: What's Left?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   L&HR: What's Left?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: L&HR: What's Left?  (Read 1619 times)
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: L&HR: What's Left?

« Reply #20 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 7:40am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 28th, 2004, 5:06am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I caught a train on the L&HR Bridge at last!!!

L&HR Bridge is left!!!

Jim...  

Nice Jim. It looks really cool with the coal train instead of a regular freight IMO

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2004, 7:41am by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 2:56pm »

Jim,
Excellent shot!

-Jeff

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 6:13pm »

GREAT SHOT, JIMMY!

I've been tryin to get that LHR bridge/train shot since I was a kid.  
Definitely a keeper!
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 4:39am »

Thanks guys! Yeah I thought it was a keeper too Charles. It was cool to watch also. It just rolled along about 15mph to 20mph and I just clicked away. I picked out this shot because it had the two bridge humps that span the water plus all the engines. I was a little excited and it was grab shots. I saw it from the Easton side going through Union Square so I pulled over right where I was and jumped out to get what I could...

Jim...

Question (NS3360) - What road did the L&HR use to get to Allentown? LV or CNJ?

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2004, 4:50am by hummel1237 » Logged
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 6:04am »

Jim -

You lucky dawg! In all my hundreds of trips through Easton on the way to/from Allentown, I've never once caught a train crossing either of the active bridges - even when I stop at the Canal Park to wait one out. Have CR/NS been watching for my van and shutting everything down till I leave, or do I just have rotten timing?

Bob

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #25 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 8:05am »

on Sep 29th, 2004, 4:39am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks guys! Yeah I thought it was a keeper too Charles. It was cool to watch also. It just rolled along about 15mph to 20mph and I just clicked away. I picked out this shot because it had the two bridge humps that span the water plus all the engines. I was a little excited and it was grab shots. I saw it from the Easton side going through Union Square so I pulled over right where I was and jumped out to get what I could...

Jim...

Question (NS3360) - What road did the L&HR use to get to Allentown? LV or CNJ?

L&HR used the CNJ to get to Allentown.  

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:22pm »

on Sep 29th, 2004, 6:04am, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Have CR/NS been watching for my van and shutting everything down till I leave, or do I just have rotten timing?

Bob,
If you have the same luck as me then thats probably likely!

-Jeff

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2004, 5:23pm by RN-16 » Logged

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 4:42am »

on Sep 29th, 2004, 6:04am, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -

You lucky dawg! In all my hundreds of trips through Easton on the way to/from Allentown, I've never once caught a train crossing either of the active bridges - even when I stop at the Canal Park to wait one out. Have CR/NS been watching for my van and shutting everything down till I leave, or do I just have rotten timing?

Bob

Thanks Bob! Good to hear from you!!!  

About the pic - Pure Luck, it really was...

Jim...  

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 4:47am »

on Sep 29th, 2004, 8:05am, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

L&HR used the CNJ to get to Allentown.  

Now I'm excited! I get to research the CNJ row from the Easton Bridge to Allentown Yard! Got any hints on how to stay on the row that was the main? E&N, E&W and other branches could throw me off. If you've got a map or could make one that would be very cool. Your homemade maps are better than mine...

Thanks!

Jim...  

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CNJ_r-o-w.jpg - 17446 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 10:38am »

on Sep 30th, 2004, 4:47am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Now I'm excited! I get to research the CNJ row from the Easton Bridge to Allentown Yard! Got any hints on how to stay on the row that was the main? E&N, E&W and other branches could throw me off. If you've got a map or could make one that would be very cool. Your homemade maps are better than mine...

Thanks!

Jim...  

Well, here's a map I just made. It's simple but you get the idea. Well I'll start at Easton. Where the current track ends near 4th Street, if you follow Lehigh Drive the row will be high up on the hill. As you are driving on Lehigh Drive you will near the E&N bridge which crosses Lehigh Drive and the CNJ row. I believe the row from West Easton to Hopeville is a bike path. The Easton & Western Branch took off near Hopeville. The main keeps going straight. Now, in between Hopeville and Freemansburg the row travels through the trees so I'm not sure how much you'd see because of all the over growth. On Main Street in Freemansburg, there is still a bridge that crosses the road and has the CNJ logo on it  From Freemansburg the row travels through the town and you can still see some of the grade. The Minsi Trail Branch left the main near the Stefko Blvd. bridge in Bethlehem. And underneath the New St. bridge in Bethlehem is where the track is in use by the CNJ Bethlehem Station now restaurant. Hope this helps you.......

PS...Jim, if you want more detailed instructions on finding certain things mentioned let me know  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (17446 bytes, 927x393 pixels)

Click Here to View Image CNJ_r-o-w.jpg - 17446 Bytes

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2004, 9:51pm by NS3360 » Logged

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Easton.jpg - 85505 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 10:44am »

Here is another map showing all the lines in the Easton area.
The LV E&N bridge is the bridge in the lower left of the pic.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/Easton.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2004, 1:29pm by NS3360 » Logged

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #31 on: May 25th, 2005, 5:52pm »

Thats a nice river shot! I got one about a month ago with the flood waters lapping at the deck of the bridge as a coal train came through. How about that one?

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

DRAWHEAD
Chaser

« Reply #32 on: Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:23pm »

There's a old L&HR ore hopper at the Bellevue, Ohio's  Mad River/NKP train museum.A link with a picture of it is:  
http:// www.madrivermuseum.org/gallery/lhrhopper.jpg

GP30_5513
Historian
  DSC_1145_752x500.jpg - 95817 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 6:04pm »

Here's L&HR wooden caboose #17 located in New Freedom, PA [southern York County].  The two gondolas are MA&PA pieces, and the other car I'm not sure about.  It may have been a wooden flatcar, or a wooden boxcar; not much of it remains.  These all reside on a small yard track off of the interchange with the Stewartstown RR.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/DSC_1145_752x500.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Marty_Feldner
Historian
  Image804.jpg - 46541 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21st, 2009, 11:04pm »

It looks rough, but- not really surprising considering that it's been over 33 years.

The 17 was the last of the 10 class in service, bringing up the rear of the last train. It had just been repainted a year or so before.

Interestingly, all but one of the 10 class are known to be still in existence; the missing one, not accounted for (#15), may still be somewhere in upstate New York.

Here is the 17 on the March 31 1976, waiting for the last run before CR to depart Warwick.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/Image804.jpg
Click Image to Resize

purplzep
TRAINing
  sugarloaf102509_025.1.jpg - 59642 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31st, 2009, 4:28pm »

There's plenty left..........you just have to look

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/sugarloaf102509_025.1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint